Constellation 4/28 Transatlantic

Karynanne

We were on the Constellation 4/28 Transatlantic to Dover, and this was the best cruise we have experienced with Celebrity.

The embarkation from Bayonne, New Jersey was extremely organized. We were onboard within 20 min., and on our way to lunch on Deck 10.

Our cabin #7206 was spotless. We enjoy Aft cabins, and knew that this cabin would live up to our expectations.

This ship is in perfect condition. To be honest, I really didn't look for imperfections, so if there were any, it went unoticed by us.

The crew was so gracious and seemed very excited to be experiencing the crossing with us. A lot of them had never been to the Baltics, and you could sense their hightened anticipation.

Our meals were all very good, and the Speciality Restaurant, Ocean Liners was incredible!

Seas were rough for a few days. Actually, it made the crossing an eventful experience for us. The Captain had announced that he was pleased that Constellation endured it all. We had 30-35 ft. swells, and winds at 65 knots.

Our only port was Le Harvre. We went into Honfleur, and had a beautiful sunny day, and enjoyed the lovely little city, with it's quaint shops and little bistros.

Disembarkation in Dover was very smooth. We got off the ship at exactly the time we were given. We had arranged to have a car drive us to London for 3 days stay.

This was a leisurely, experience the ship kind of cruise. I would do it again in a heartbeat...

Karyn

Thanks Karyne

We join the Connie in Dover next week for the Baltics so it is lovely to get such a positive approach. Any staff who were staying on whom we should particularly look out for - though I know they are all great.

Glad you enjoyed your trip

Karynanne, So glad that you liked the Constellation TA. We were on Constellation March 26. Bayonne is a breeze to navigate thru to get on the ship. We had aft balcony 7203 and had friends in 7206. These cabins are great. We too had the best time on Constellation. The staff was wonderful from Captain P right on down to our cabin attendant. It got so that I could not walk down the hall without one of them opening my door for me. It was too bad you missed Sudi in the martini bar. His father had an accident and he had to go home to help the family. He left after our cruise. The crew on Constellation was number 1 in my book. Pat

Hi Karynanne, We were on this cruise also and it being our 27th cruise I can easily say it was the best! We were in 7187 CC cabin and were treated famously by our cabin attendant Esap. Our waiter Michael and his assistant

were the best we have experienced on any cruise line. We went to Ocean Liners on my birthday and had the 6 course "Exceptional Dinner". Each course was paired with a wine reccommended by Michele Roux. Unbelievable is all I can say!

This was our first time on the Constellation and we thought she was absolutely beauthiful. Loved the martini bar and the Bar at the Edge of the Earth. Had a blast on "White Night". Danced till 2 am, and that's saying alot for us! Especially loved Perry Grant in Michaels. Once we discovered him we would plan our evening around his performances and you had to be sure to get there early or it was SRO. This guy is not only a great musician but funny as heck.

You're right we did have some bad weather days. I usually don't get seasick but I was very sick on the first sea day until I finally took something for it. But we also had some great days when you could sit out by the pool.

Wasn't that medical evacuation a dramatic event? We watched the helicopter circle around from our balcony and then watched it on the cruise cam as it hovered over the ship and picked up the patient. Did anyone else notice that the background music was perfectly attuned to what was going on with the helicopter? The music was very dramatic and built to a crescendo at the ending and then faded away as the helicopter took off in the distance. We asked the photo shop if that would be on the cruise video and they said yes it would, so we bought one and when we got it home it was not on there. Oh well, we had a wonderful time and want to do it again but only going the in the other direction so we can gain an hour each night instead of losing one:). Glad you enjoyed it as much as we did.

Eileen and Tom

The Transatlantic ride on Connie was great.

We were really just using the ship to cross the Atlantic to visit friends and family, but it turned out to be quite pleasurable, even though we were travelling with our 10 month old son.

Most of the activities are selected more towards the "older" crowd (e.g. Napkin Folding), but Celebrity has a great toddler room where I spent hours with my son having a blast. Brand new clean high end toys, with a baby ball pit and crawl thru tunnel. Much better than I was expecting, and the crew in the fun factory are the best!

6 nights was a bit long, but the service was fantastic (from our room steward, to the crew in the buffet, to the fun factory). And my wife and I are officially immune to seasickness, due to no reaction to the 30-35 foot swells.

Will have to try it again in 2008.

__

whyohwhyoh

We were also on this and echo Karyn's sentiments. It was a wonderful crossing complimented by both the staff and passengers. We had a terrific time.

Our dining room experience was the best we have ever received. Between Goran our Asst. Maitre' de and our waiter Marius, it just could not have been better. Even the Head Sommelier tended to us each and every evening. (Of course I think he was just in it so he could taste our wines). Thanks also to Stephanie in the Future Cruises. She was so helpful and got us a great cabin on our Century cruise.

Jetsetter - we watched the airlift from the top front deck and have pictures. It really was quite dramatic and impressive. I was amazed that the ship never stopped moving, yet the helicopter was able to hover above at an absolute even pace. It looked as if neither was moving. It really was quite dramatic and impressive. Applaudes to the Royal Navy Rescue team. I just hope the passenger is doing better. I didn't hear anything about who the passenger was, but I thought it odd that they not only took of the ailing passenger, but a female spouse or parent went as well.

Overall, I would do this crossing again in a second. I do want to try the Westbound just so I can get back my 6 hours they owe me!!!

to Joelmarj(Marj?) Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet, (remember I'm the one originally from Massapequa?) But wasn't it a great, relaxing cruise?

We're looking into the return trip in September, but it looks like a 14 nighter and that may be just a little too long since we've used up most of our vacation time this year. And yes! they DO owe us those 6 hours back, maybe I'll write a letter to complain;)

Hope you have just as much enjoyment on your next cruise on the Century.

Eileen

Hi Eileen - I do remember you. Did you come to the Cruise Critic gathering? We were there. Sorry we didn't get to meet up, but glad you enjoyed as well. I must admit I got a bit seasick that first day, but a double dose of bonine and I was good as new. Was fine the entire rest of the trip, but then again the weather was much more cooperative then.

The Century that we booked is 11 nights, and that is longer than I can usually do, but with so much time in advance to plan, I'm going to pull it off. Will likely involve bribing Mom to fly North to help out with my kids!

We asked our new best buddy bartender Ocha...(Martini Bar) about him... and he told us that he had to go home... Ocha was very entertaining as well... We could tell that he was relatively new at the theatrics... but, just the same, he was a TON of fun ... He had some great card tricks... He always had a smile...

Hi All-

I will always remember my first transatlantic crossing as an eventful experience. The Constellation and her crew are great. Our cabin attendant Servio turned a good time into a great time. My thanks for his understated yet detail oriented efforts. Another person whose service highlights made my trip better was my wine steward (the wine steward for table 149), she was just great. Our dinner tablemates reminded me of the simple joy of sharing a good meal and laughter; they have a special place in my memories. The many nameless staff who steadied my husband when his diminished walking capacity was further hampered by the rough seas, I will always be grateful for their assistance.

Many people speak of Michaels Bar however I fell in love with the Cova Café. 80% of my bill consisted of those early morning cappuccino’s. To me, the string quartet was the hidden jewel of the ship. Its lively afternoon sessions became something I tried not to miss.

I had anticipated that most of the cruise would be like the last 2 days where the seas were calmer. I will never look at the Atlantic in quite the same way again. Andrew, there should be one of you on all cruises. You are the ultimate social director.

I’m not sure that 50 ft. swells fall into my category of, “Leisure cruises”, however, should I decide to take another transatlantic, and it will be on the Constellation westbound arriving in Florida.

Hi,

Thanks to all of you who took such good care of Constellation and her wonderful crew. We'll be on board in September to bring her back.

September's sailing is a 15-night cruise, and will be doing a little longer, different itinerary than the usual trans-Atlantic of the northern Atlantic. So far, there are 164 Cruise Critic members on the cruise. It's been a true "sold out" sailing for months and months.

CM

We enjoyed this cruise also. Celebrity is without a doubt a cut above the competition in terms of service and overall cruise experience. Oceanliners was wonderful. Having the corner FV cabin (9197) was quite an experience with that HUGE balcony. Only negative part of the cruise for us was the constant LOUD vibrating in our cabin during the majority of the cruise. Caused many sleepless nights for us. I compared it to experiencing an earthquake at times. Loved the balcony but would never take that cabin again due to the noise.

Thanks to everyone who posted their experiences on the Constellation. I can't wait to go on the fall TA on her.

Dick in Falls Church posted on our Sept. 9th Transatlantic thread that:

"Well,, we went transatlantic on the Constellation 2 weeks ago, and much to our surprise they put a $10 per personper way (best I recall) price on the shuttle to town in Le Havre. First I found out about it was the night before docking, when I turned on the TV. In the AM, the tour desk was closed, and the guest service girl said that charging for shuttles was new.

I think it is called revenue enhancement.

Might be worth checking out.ith Celebrity."

Is this a new policy? Where did the shuttle take you? The cost was $20 per person round trip? What was in the town?

Daju22, We bought 2 round trips shuttle tickets at 10.00 each and as we were leaving the ship we overheard a crew memer telling another passenger that they didn't need a ticket. They never even checked for tickets as we boarded the shuttle on the way to Le havre or on the return. I guess this is new and not everyone knows about the fee yet. The shuttle took us right into the middle of town and was an easy walk around most of the city.

We found a great little bistro a few blocks away and had lunch. Also found a shopping mall with a supermarket where we bought some pretty good wine.

Theres a funicular a few blocks away that will take you up the hill to get a great view of the city.

Try to get there early when they have the street market vendors out selling everything from fruits,veggies,flowers to shoes and underwear and the usual souveniers. I think they close up about 12noon. Have a wonderful trip and who knows? maybe a few cancellations and we may be sailing with you.:)

Karynanne, thanks for starting this thread. It's nice to see so many of the people we met posting on it.

This was a great cruise (actually a great pair of cruises, since we were B2B with the April 19th itinerary) for us, too. In fact, it was our best ever Celebrity experience. Constellation is in great shape and still looks as clean, shiny and cared for in 2006 as she did in Spring 2003. Hotel Director, Niina, is to be commended for that and for her great staff.

Thanks to Asep, our Cabin Attendant, and his assistant, Rolando, we now know what Concierge Class is supposed to be -- dramatically different from what we experienced (or rather, didn't experience) in Concierge Class on Millennium in Fall 2004.

Assistant Maitre 'D's, Goran, Ryan and Marcel were wonderful, conscientious, helpful and caring in so many ways -- going above and beyond anything we expected or previously experienced.

Jeovani, our waiter at Table 488 Late was an absolute gem. His friendliness, composure and efficiency were terrific. Joey, our waiter at Table 402a Late on the first itinerary was also a delight.

We were very lucky to have Stoyan as assistant waiter on both itineraries. His alertness at the beginning of the second itinerary and his quick action drawing a matter to the attention of Jeovani, Marcel and Goran, saved me from experiencing a nasty allergic reaction.

I was really impressed at how quickly so many of the Dining staff became familiar to us. I was even more impressed at how quickly we became familiar to all the staff -- dining, cabin, guest relations, Emporium. Constellation staff and crew seemed to have cultivated this knack even more expertly than their counterparts on Millennium and Infinity.

For us, the active seas and the "afterburners" vibration were great. (Anthony, I'm not sure I would have enjoyed the vibration if it had been accompanied by loudness. My being deaf sometimes has its advantages. )

Although my asthma attack prevented us from making it to the 'reunion' Cruise Critic event on the day before LeHavre, I was impressed that the onboard staff -- Derek and Touch, went to the trouble to listen to us and schedule time for us to meet again.

Chief Concierge, Ken, and Captain's Club Hostess, Jennifer, made our disembarkation so much easier than it could have been when I was attacked by the asthma.

From the time we entered the embarkation line in Bayonne until the time I left the wheelchair at our car hire in Dover, Celebrity Constellation people treated us famously. Being treated famously and the great people we meet through Cruise Critic or otherwise in our travels is what cruising is all about.

Terry:)

Daju22, We bought 2 round trips shuttle tickets at 10.00 each and as we were leaving the ship we overheard a crew memer telling another passenger that they didn't need a ticket. They never even checked for tickets as we boarded the shuttle on the way to Le havre or on the return. I guess this is new and not everyone knows about the fee yet. The shuttle took us right into the middle of town and was an easy walk around most of the city.

We found a great little bistro a few blocks away and had lunch. Also found a shopping mall with a supermarket where we bought some pretty good wine.

Theres a funicular a few blocks away that will take you up the hill to get a great view of the city.

Try to get there early when they have the street market vendors out selling everything from fruits,veggies,flowers to shoes and underwear and the usual souveniers. I think they close up about 12noon. Have a wonderful trip and who knows? maybe a few cancellations and we may be sailing with you.:)

Thanks Jetcruisers for the great shuttle and LeHavre information. Hope you get your wish to come with us! Can't wait!

Howdy, Karynanne!

This is your niece-in-law in Texas! It was fun reading about your cruise. I'm still looking for a review of the cruise y'all took with Dad and L.

PM me if you have a chance. :)

Hi Kendra! Great to see you here...We had such a great time with L. & L. Enjoyed every minute...

Karyn

Hi Kendra! Great to see you here...We had such a great time with L. & L. Enjoyed every minute...

Karyn

They had a great time, too, except for getting sick, of course. I would have loved to tag along on that one! For now, I'll have to be satisfied with Germany, Alaska, and the Caribbean. ;)

I can't stay away from this board -- I've learned so much and most of it adds to the excitement of my upcoming cruises. See ya around! :)

Archived