pickpockets in Barcelona

Hi, I have read in many posts to be careful of pickpockets in Barcelona.

So what does this mean? In most ports if you are a healthy couple alone walking through the city during daylight you just need to have your purse or billfold secured. For a lady this means a purse with zippers closed and the handle double wrapped to her arm or body. For a man, having his billfold buttoned in a front pocket. We don't wear any jewelry on tour. Just a very cheap watch.

So in Barcelona, do we have to take more precautions? In a particular part of town? Do we need to be afraid of large groups of people surrounding us to pickpocket? Some details of what you do or what has happened to you would be very educational.

Thanks! Happy Cruzin!

From what I've read it's basically to be aware of your surroundings, as you would anywhere else. I had a small purse that I wore with the strap across my chest and the purse in front.

Watch for Gypsies causing a commotion to get your attention then someone else picks pockets/purses.

Also on Las Ramblas when crowds surround the street performers, be aware

Never hang your bag/purse on the bag of a chair when you're eating

I spent 3 days pre-cruise in Bacelona and had no problems. The only incident I heard of on the cruise itself was someone having their purse stolen in Monte Carlo.

Here's an article on things to be aware off and I would thing this would be applicable wherever you are.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/barcelona-safety.html

Frances

One scenario to watch for - women holding out flat cardboard with souvenirs on it for sale, particularly at Las Ramblas or anywhere tourists gather. They will distract you with saying No while their small kids run underneath the cardboard, in and out. What you don't realize is that the kids are searching your pockets or opening your fanny pack or purse to steal anything they can get.

I take no offense to pickpockets attempting to pluck me - it's just a matter of being aware. In Rome, a more dangerous game was the two guys on the Vespa riding by women with dangling shoulder purses. If you were lucky, the rider pulled the bag off your shoulder. If you were unlucky, they would use a sharp knife to sever the strap to cut off the bag.

Long ago, I trained myself to turn my purse's buckle or zipper inward and I always put the purse over my arm, toward my front, with my arm clamped down on the purse. My attitude is that if they are going to take a shot, they'll have to face me. And I avoid densely packed metros, subway, or buses because you'll never feel their theft. Nowadays, there are all those nifty personal wallets to be used under clothes.

As you know, never ever carry your original passport or anything that would be a great loss. A US passport, for the thieves, is like hitting the lottery.

In Bali, I bought some material at a shop and was required to show my passport to the cashier. I took out my black and white passport copy and everyone was happy.

Ruby

Pick pockets are big problem in Barcelona. On our first trip a group of women at our hotel on a bachlorette party had 5 of there purses to the spare, offer to help "I am a mechanic", and when you are distracted steal something out of the vehicle).

Bottom line is to tavel light....one credit card, small amount of cash, all in your front pocket. Leave all other valuables in the hotel safe. Be aware when you are being bumped or enveloped by children.

I carried a small backpack instead of a purse, and kept my travel info, a small amount of money, snacks, water, etc. in it. My husband carried the valuables (passports, credit cards, etc.) in a neck pouch, and he also carried the cameras (one small one in a case attached to his belt) and a larger one in a case with a shoulder strap. We were on subways, buses, trains and walked in crowds throughout our 12 day cruise, 2 days in Barcelona and 2 days in Venice, and never had a problem. We saw gypsies in Barcelona (just once) but stayed clear of them.

On the subways when we were packed in like sardines, I would turn my backpack around to the front in order to guard it more carefully.

I agree with Susan about riding public transportation and pickpockets. I use public transports in any manner wherever I go all over the world; I just don't ride in rush hours when people are, indeed, packed in like sardines. I don't like the odds of me being able to watch for my stop versus the ever-so-talented pickpockets on the bus, train, or subway.

In Hong Kong, I rode doubledecker buses alone all over the place, up by the Northern Territories, and never felt the least bit threatened by bad guys. For a minimum amount of US Dollars, public transport is the way to go. It turns out that buses and trains are the same all over the world; ride one system and you can ride them all.

I do leave my valuables either in the hotel safe or my locking suitcase. I'd rather take that small chance with those circumstances than be out and about in public areas with original passports.

The whole thing about foreign travel is that, by definition, there will be a distraction factor - so much to see and so much to do. Be aware, keep your valuables in front of you, and you'll be fine. I don't personally know a story of pure criminal behavior on a tourist. It's the third-world types and pickpockets who are looking for an easy opportunity. Take away that opportunity and they readily move on to an easier target.

Ruby

I've been to Barcelona a few times and most recently this past Fall. This is a wonderful city but yes, pickpockets are an issue here.

I would recommend carrying a wallet pouch that goes under your shirt and around your neck and carry minimal items in it. Specifically, some local currency, one credit card, your ship card and your drivers license. Rather than taking a purse, I would recommend that you hold the ladies drivers picture id and shipboard card.

Keith

Violent crime is less common in Europe than in the US. Nevertheless, Barcelona is an exception. From the US Department of State's Consular Information Sheet:

"CRIME: While most of Spain has a moderate rate of crime and most of the estimated one million American tourists have trouble free visits to Spain each year, street crimes against tourists occur in the principal tourist areas. Madrid and Barcelona, in particular, report incidents of muggings and violent attacks, some of which have been so violent that victims have needed medical attention. Although crimes occur at all times of day and night and to people of all ages, older tourists and Asian Americans seem to be particularly at risk. Criminals frequent tourist areas and major attractions such as museums, monuments, restaurants, outdoor cafes, Internet cafes, hotel lobbies, beach resorts, city buses, subways, trains, train stations, airports, and ATM machines. There has been an increase in the number of passport thefts reported at Madrid’s Barajas Airport.

In Barcelona, a number of attacks have been reported on Las Ramblas, near the Picasso Museum, in the Gothic Quarter, in Parc Güell, in Plaza Real and on Montjuic. In Madrid, incidents have been reported in major tourist areas, including the area near the Prado Museum, near Atocha train station, in Retiro Park, in areas of old Madrid including Sol and El Rastro flea market, near the Royal Palace and in Plaza Mayor."

Consular information sheets for other countries are available at: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...is_1765.html#s

The State Department does not seem to warn against gypsy crime (or Romani crime in politically correct terminology).

quote.gif

Last year, an woman from our ship was violently muggged in Barcelona. While an older woman (80's), she was healthy and walked with vigor. She was sightseeing with younger woman (40's). They got directions to a museum...were given a short cut through an narrow roadway. When inside this narrow area, the older woman was mugged. The mugger ripped her purse from her grasp and threw her to the ground, cracking her skulll on the cobble stone street.

Her husband had to pack their bags and leave the ship to be with her in the hospital. She was in intensive care. I never learned the outcome of her health.

Stay in well traveled areas and be very alert.

That's the downside of Barcelona. Other wise, it's one of the world's most wonderful cities to visit. It's beautiful and there's so much to see! Enjoy yourself, but be smart about it.

Art - that's a sad story. Sounds like she may have been set up when she inadvertently asked the wrong person for directions. I've read about a couple of case of this happening in the Naples area (not to cruise passengers).

We had a case this week in our city where an elderly women had her bag ripped off her shoulder - and a friend's mother had it happen in Fort Lauderdale when she walked out of the hairdressers, causing her to fall to the ground. It's almost impossible to travel without a purse or small pack of some sort, but something more firmly attached to your body might help.

One of the CC members on our cruise had sewn herself a great lightweight vest ... with several inside pockets. It eliminated the need to carry a purse or pack. I also like some of the travel clothes with zippered pockets - both shirts and pants.

I did a google search on this subject and came up with so many scenarios that the theives use. I plan to enjoy myself while there, but also plan to use every precaution so I'm not a victim.

I purchased a neck pouch and a money belt. My husband will have one and I will have the other. I plan to be cautious and use these before I even get off the plane. I understand you can encounter the pickpockets at the airport too.

I, also, purchased a personal alarm disguised as a key chain. If I am being surounded by gypsies or suspect I am being targeted for pickpocking. I will sound the alarm. I read if you make a commotion, they will just run away.

I won't read maps while in public. I will look as if I know exactly where I'm going. They prey on people who look as though they are confused on their whereabouts. If I really need to look at a map, I will go into a store or something and not do this out on the street.

I will not use a fanny pack or backpack. I read it tells theives that is where the valuables are and they will cut the straps off with a blade. They do sell bags, etc. reinforced with metal straps. Just do a search on travel safety and you will come up with so many things to purchase. I just don't plan to carry any kind of bag.

Its truly a shame we have to go to such great lengths to protect our belongings while on vacation. Its too bad the local police don't do more to deter this crime.

Beware of pickpockets in all large cities in the world. A money belt is great for credit cards and big bills. Carry only a few dollars in a wallet with nothing valuable in it. IDs, photos etc.

Watch out for 3 armed gypsies. A woman carring a baby will approach you and thrust the baby at you, the arm holding the baby is fake their real arm is headed for your pocket.

Archived