What's your favorite way of meeting people?

AK Sunseeker

Hello,

I am taking my first cruise next January, and I will be cruising solo. I am going on the Dawn Princess to the Mexican Riviera for 11 days.

I enjoy spending some time alone, but love to get to know people too, but sometimes I tend to be a little shy.

To those more experienced solo cruisers, what have you found to be the best way to get to know people on the ship?

TIA,

Pam

Hi:) I cruise solo all the time and it is (for me) THE WAY to go!

Where to meet people? EVERYWHERE:D

Seriously, I always find one of the bars and/or lounges for pre-dinner

drinks. There are always nice folks in that spot and it is very easy

to strike up a conversation.

I also enjoy trivia during the day...and wine tastings and wine blendings.

Ship activities are usually quite fun and another easy way to meet

people.

Also, check the ROLL CALL boards for your particular sailing.

That really is a great way to meet folks ahead of time!:)

Example, I am sailing THIS FRIDAY and we have a small roll call

but we are already friends and myself and 2 other couples

have linked our bookings so we sit together at dinner!

Of course, after we board I will go see the Maitr'd to make sure

everything is correct;).

It is very easy to meet people on a cruise and usually

cruisers are the nicest folks too!!!!

Enjoy your trip:)

I only have 2 more sleeps and I am outa here!!!

Lois you talk in sleeps! Our family does that.

Just walk up to people. Most are very nice. I'm sailing without my husband for the first time in ages this summer. I'm a little nervous about it, but I figure I will talk to people and click where I can.

Hi Nliedel:) yes, sleeps LOL

I re-read my post. It sounds like I know the folks on

my roll call prior to chatting on there.....I don't;) we

have BECOME friends through these boards:D

Lois is correct. I met so many wonderful people before my last Valor cruise, that we are all staying in touch, and doing a Liberty cruise together. One girl even calls me "Mom" by the time of our cruise, because she is my kids' age,I am like her 2nd mother to her. We all had such a wonderful time. This group was over 100 strong. One couple even invited me to thier holiday cookout in Georgia when I went there to see my daughter. They had several Valor Vampires at the party.

Lois... have a wonderful trip, and I will be looking forward to a review with pictures. :D

I agree with the ladies. ;) The only thing I'd add is: lunch in the dining rooms. You will be seated with a random group of people each day, but only for about an hour. Of course, if you're feeling shy/non-interactive one day just go to the buffet.

11 days for a first cruise! Talk about jumping in with both feet! :D

I agree with the suggestions from Lois and Mike. I sort of divide my breakfasts and lunches between the Lido and dining room. In the Lido, if I'm seated at a table by myself and I see someone(s) looking for a table, I'll tell they're welcome to join me. I've never had anyone decline.

In the dining room, I'll tell the host I'd like to sit with others.

For the most part, I take the ship's shore excursions, and that's another way to meet people.

The same people seemed to play bingo most days, so that was another venue.

A good ice breaker question is something along the lines of "Do you see the comedian last night? What did you think of him?" or "Did you do anything interesting in Cozumel yesterday?". This usually gets people talking and you can do from there.

Roz

Have a great time, Lois! When I was a little unsure about sailing solo, I just read what you had to say and it gave me the confidence to take the plunge. I'll be waiting to read your review, since I'm booked on the Regal Princess to Alaska in September.

sunseeker,

It's VERY easy to meet people & make new friends on a cruise. (even if you're shy).

I went on my first solo cruise in 1988, met so many people, and had so much fun, that I've made cruising "solo" my winter vacation every year since:-)

After 18 solo cruises, I can tell you to get ready for dinner early, and stop at one of the bars/lounges for a pre-dinner cocktail. This is a very popular thing to do on a cruise, so you'll find a lot of people there. Sitting at the bar rather than at a table will allow you to talk to more people. It's very easy to strike up a conversation with whomever is sitting next to you. You can start by asking them how many cruises they've been on. People will open right up to you on this subject cuz everyone LOVES to talk about their past cruises. you can follow that by telling them that you're on you FIRST cruise, and then let them give you all the advice they want to. You can also ask them if they have any suggestions for something to do in your next port of call. Chances are good that they will. Who knows . . . . they may even invite you to join them in whatever they're doing.

I'm guessing by your screen name that you like to spend some time in the sun. Just lounging at the main pool is another way to meet people. Everyones on vacation, relaxed & having fun. Most passengers are very willing to have a nice conversation with whomever is sitting near them. You can talk about what you did in port yesterday, ask for any suggestions of anything they think you "must see" in any upcoming ports. Talk about the ship.

I think you get the idea. It's SO easy to strike up conversations with just about anyone:-)

Above all . . . Remember that the key to a fun cruise is participation. Participate in as many onboard activities as you can. You'll not only have fun participating in these activities, but you'll meet others who are also participating, and other passengers will stop you in the hall, approach you in a lounge, or poolside just to let you know that they saw you participating in whatever activity it was.

So, as you can see, there are So many ways to meet new people on a cruise. You should have nothing to worry about. Just go on your first solo cruise with an open mind and a positive attitude. You'll have a BLAST!!

I hope to see a review from you on the CC board when you get back.

Enjoy!

Annie

Thank you to all of you for all the tips. It sounds like this is just the kind of vacation that will be perfect for me! I really do enjoy spending time alone sometimes, and it sounds like I can do that if I want, but it also sounds like there are plenty of chances to get to know friendly people too, so I don't think I will feel "lonely" on the cruise :)

Lois, have a fabulous time on your Alaska cruise! I know you will love it! There is truly no other place like Alaska, and I feel so lucky to be able to live here! I am sure you have probably researched your cruise a lot, and seen pictures, etc...but Alaska will surprise you! It is even better than you think it is :) Is this a "one way" cruise? I know you are leaving from Seattle, but does the cruise end up in either Seward or Whittier? The reason I am asking is because if it does, the drive from either Seward or Whittier to Anchorage is really a treat! It is on the Seward Highway, along the Turnagin Arm, and is considered one of the most scenic drives in the world! I live in Anchorage, and my son is in Girdwood (about 30 mins from Anchorage, and along that route) and I never get tired of the drive. If you do get to take it, pay attention to the hills above the highway. I see Dall sheep there almost every time I go.

Mike, I guess I am jumping in with both feet..lol. I decided on this cruise for several reasons. First of all, Alaska is far from everywhere, so flights are long and expensive. I figured that if I was going to pay for the flight, I might as well make it worthwhile and get 11 days instead of the usual 7..lol. Also, I got a great price on the cruise. I got an oceanview cabin for only 150% single supplement, and I understand it is usually 200% with Princess.

Pam

Pam, hi:) I sail roundtrip..Seattle back to Seattle.

I leave tomorrow after work:D

And I am about ready for bed now too. I think all the adrenaline

is wearing off at the moment and hopefully I will get a good nights

sleep.

I work tomorrow...flight leaves here at 7pm..to Atlanta...then

on to Seattle. I arrive 11:15pm Pacific time so actual fly time

is about 5 hours. Thursday is Seattle sightseeing and dinner

with friends from my Roll Call! And we cruise on Friday!!!

I cannot wait to see everything...The city of Seattle too!

And you will have a wonderful time on your cruise too:)

Like you, I am a little shy, but I have travelled many times solo and I love Princess. You are going to have a great time! I always end up in the jacuzzis in the back of the ship. They tend to attract smaller crowds than those in the center of the ship. I have met wonderful people in those jacuzzis, some of whom I still keep in touch with.

Enjoy!

Lois is correct. I met so many wonderful people before my last Valor cruise, that we are all staying in touch, and doing a Liberty cruise together.

Same here. In fact, while I generally sail solo, my next two cruises will be with a companion ... one who I met on these boards, and another who I met on my Zuiderdam cruise back in 2004. I also keep in touch with some of the people I've cruised with in the past, and that's how I found a cabinmate for my cruise this coming October. We became so friendly onboard the ship on that sailing (both smokers who used to meet up every night in the Explorers' Lounge smoking room) that we decided to take a cruise together this year.

I can't think of any other vacation experience where it is so easy to meet people. While I would hesitate to take a land vacation by myself ... simply because I am a social person and feel it would be difficult to link up with others on a vacation in a popular resort ... I have no hesitation whatsoever cruising on my own.

In fact, on my last cruise ... a 30-dayer on the Amsterdam this past January ... there were over 100 singles and solos. The cruise director even assigned a member of his staff to plan lots of events specifically for us ... from a dinner in the Pinnacle Grill together to lemonade get-togethers in the Lido and various board games in one of the lounges. It was without a doubt my best cruise to date, and I still keep in touch with some of the people from our roll call.

So, don't worry about meeting people on a cruise. It really takes no effort. Just strike up a conversation. In fact, my favorite technique is to walk out on the smoking side of the Lido deck and ask someone at one of the tables if they would mind my sharing their ashtray. Works every time.

Blue skies ...

--rita

One of the ways I like to meet people is...anywhere! Sometimes someone will catch my eye because of what they are wearing, or a book in their hand, or they'll be looking out at the view and I'll comment on it too....that's also a good way to find out if someone is interested in carrying on a conversation with you or not. Usually if I ask them a couple of questions, and only get one or two word answers, I know to move on!

Jane :)

Definitely not a way to meet a man..........but I always seem to meet women standing in line for the ladies room. Of course after dinner or a show is the peak time and there is always something in common to talk about.

• 2 months later...

As everyone has said, it is very easy to meet people on a cruise. My first cruise was last summer and I was a bit concerned about meeting people but found the best "opening line" to be: "How are you enjoying your cruise?" Followed by: "Where are you from?" I asked people in elevators, shops, bars, everywhere. I met so many people a few other passengers thought I worked on the ship! Also, I would sometimes ask to be seated with others at breakfast which lead to some great friendships.

Have a great time!

I started talking to a woman in the elevator who was complaining about forgetting her highlighter. I mentioned something about duct tape and then she said something about Post it Notes. Me: "You're on Cruise Critic aren't you?" It was like old home week. It was Hamptod from our roll call! I made a lot of friends the last cruise by just talking to everyone.

Archived