Switching rooms?

Im trying to convince some friends to go on the Sovereign for their first cruise, but they have more kids than I think they can book.

It's a mom and a dad; and they have a 21yr old son a 16yr old daughter and want to bring along kids friends a girl 15 and a boy 16.

I told them they could book the mom and the two girls (15 and 16) in one room; the dad and the boy (16) in one room; and the 21 year old in his own room; then just switch the rooms to their likings when they get on board.

I havent been on RCCL in two years; when me and my wife, then fiance, sailed (she wasn't 21) we did a switch (less complicated) and it worked fine.

The only problem with that approach is when it comes time to leave the ship. The SeaPass, i.e. room key, has each passenger's name and photo entered in the mag strip.

Couldn't everyone just get an extra room key; and then give them to th epeople who need them.

You do not have to play that game with booking kids when the parents are going also. RCI allows for kids in another cabin as long as they are next to, across from or diagonal from the adult cabin. Link them together so there is no problem with them being moved.

You do not have to play that game with booking kids when the parents are going also. RCI allows for kids in another cabin as long as they are next to, across from or diagonal from the adult cabin. Link them together so there is no problem with them being moved.

WHat if they aren't their kids? ANd what if your booking through an online TA

My wife and I have taken five kids,two of ours and a niece and two friends of my kids on the Sovereign of the Seas.The cabins were next to ours and we had to sign a paper for all under 18 years old for us to be responsible for them.

If they put the 21 y/o in his own cabin, they will have to pay the single supplement, which is usually 100% of the fare for RCI. So, they'd be paying two fares for him. It might be better to book: The parents in one cabin; the girls in one cabin; the boys in one cabin. They can do this because they are traveling with their own children. It is quite plainly stated in RCI's own rules, as long as the cabins are connecting, adjoining, or across the hall from each other (parents often like to book a balcony for themselves and then an inside for the kids).

beachchick

If they put the 21 y/o in his own cabin, they will have to pay the single supplement, which is usually 100% of the fare for RCI. So, they'd be paying two fares for him. It might be better to book: The parents in one cabin; the girls in one cabin; the boys in one cabin. They can do this because they are traveling with their own children. It is quite plainly stated in RCI's own rules, as long as the cabins are connecting, adjoining, or across the hall from each other (parents often like to book a balcony for themselves and then an inside for the kids).

beachchick

If they booked one room with 3 the third person discount evens out the one person room.

The third person discount, when there is one, is usually good, but they'd still be paying 6 full fares (2 in cabin A, with two pax; 2 in cabin B with two pax; 2 in cabin C with one person because of the 100% single supplement. In addition, they'd be paying the third person fare for having the third pax in cabin A or B. So as far as I can see, it's actually cheaper to pay for only 6 full fares, rather than 5 full fares, plus 1 full fare for the single supplement, plus the third person fare in one of the other cabins. But, they should do whatever they feel is best. It's just that the logic of the third person fare evening out the one person room is not true. With the third person in one cabin, they'd pay 6 full fares + 1 third person fare; with 2 each in three cabins, they'd pay 6 full fares only. Even if it was one of the third/fourth cruise free deals, they'd still have to pay taxes and port charges for the third person "free" fare. It's going to be cheaper to put 2 per cabin in three cabins.

beachchick

It only makes sense to have 3 cabins - Parents, boys, and girls. Why would you want to put a 16 years old male in with a 15 and a 16 years old female?:eek: He should be in the room with the 21 year old. And with only two to a room, no crowding.

Archived