question about Ms. Zuiderdam

I have just booked an aft balcony for april 2007. I have heard alot of good things about aft and thought I would give it a try. I have always sailed the Ms. Zaandam untill this year and decided to try Costa. Well to make a long story short, I am back to the best ( IMHO ). I love Holland America because the peace and quite you get while on there ships. Although I am only 35, I don't like the night life. I love to sit back and hear the wake of the ship. But any ways, Can someone tell me about this ship. Is it as nice as the Ms. Zaandam or is it better? Saw alot of pictures but really can't get the feel of it. Thanks for all the help in advance.:)

For Carribbean Jan 2007. The info here on CC was 5th, 6th, or 7th had the largest aft balconies, but are uncovered. Specifically the corner aft, so I grabbed 5186, and a VA n VD next door. The balconies also open up at the end between cabins.

8th 100% covered.

Supposedly, this ship attracts a little younger clientale (lol)

Hope this helps....

jc

Have been on the Zaandam many times, other R and S class ships, as well as the Zuiderdam last summer. I have cruised many holiday cruises as well as spring break cruises. I MUCH prefer the R or S class ships. I was on the Zuiderdam last June. Lots of kids and lots of teens. Much more of a noticable presence than I remember from either Christmas or Spring Break cruises. Could be just because the ship is larger and it does attract a younger crowd and a lot more first timers. The ship, to me, even though it was larger than the R and S class, nonetheless it seemed more crowded. Those extra 400 or 500 folks do make a difference. I found that I was that more likely not to run into anyone I had met before on board.

However, that said, it was not negative enough for me not to have booked the Westerdam for next month. I freely admit I would have preferred a smaller ship but due to time constraints, my desire for a round trip Seattle itinerary, and matching dates with friends -- we ended up on the Westerdam. I will report my impressions when I return.

Well, This will be our honeymoon cruise. I booked early to get my table for two and the room I wanted. Thats what I liked about the Zaandam, There was always a spot where you could sit down and not have anyone around you. The little secluded spots. Maybe I will find a couple one the Zuiderdam.:o thanks for all of your replies. If any one else knows anything, please let me know. :)

About to book a VB balcony on Zuiderdam if I can confirm aft facing balcony is larger, if not, a VD. I read above that the balconies are larger on decks 5 and up. What about 4th deck. Are these aft cabins the same size as the ones on the sides? Specifically asking about 4183. Is no part of it covered? I looked at the photos that were posted, but they showed VA, and its balcony looked very small. Help. The cabins are selling like hotcakes. I need to know ASAP. Thanks

About to book a VB balcony on Zuiderdam if I can confirm aft facing balcony is larger, if not, a VD. I read above that the balconies are larger on decks 5 and up. What about 4th deck. Are these aft cabins the same size as the ones on the sides? Specifically asking about 4183. Is no part of it covered? I looked at the photos that were posted, but they showed VA, and its balcony looked very small. Help. The cabins are selling like hotcakes. I need to know ASAP. Thanks
Actually the deck 4 balconies are larger than the other decks, but the cabins are slightly smaller :) We stayed in 4135 and the second week we stayed in 5102, prefered the 4135 cabin :) Loved the balcony :) Pictures in my photo link below :)

Southern Yarddog -- what didn't you like about Costa? We were thinking about it, but I kept reading in their ship reviews the beds were awful and one should ask the room steward for another mattress if you got there early enough. Didn't like hearing that, so we booked a balcony VF on the Zuiderdam for December instead. We love HAL, so I'm sure we made the right choice, but I was just curious to hear about Costa because you don't see too much about that cruise line.

Thanks.

Holland America - 2004, 2006

NCL - 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003

Carnival - 1995, 1998, 2006, 2006

Royal Caribbean - 2002

Archived