Table for 2 on Explorer ots

Hi,

We've just booked our next year cruise on Explorer... We're excited ,but have a question.

Two years ago we sailed on Splendor in Med and were able to get a table for two. We went to the DR to change dining time (from 10:00 PM to 7:30) and were reassigned to a lovely table for 2 by the window. I realize that Europeans like later dinners, so this was not a problem, as earlier dinner was not booked fully.

Now we are going on Explorer out of NY in the summer! We are family of 3, but kiddo never dines with us, as he prefers buffet with his new friends. We also usually make new friends and like meeting people , but prefer dining as a family (one of the reason is that we aren't native English speakers).

So guestion is... are there reasonable number of tables for two?

Also , we are sailing in inside cabin and last time on Splendor there were no robes in inside cabins. Is this still the case?

Thank you

Request the table now, if you haven't done so already. The 2-tops are limited and can't be guaranteed.

Since kiddo won't be dining with you, that sort of throws the "family dining" thing out the window! If you do happen to be seated with others, I'm betting you will have a wonderful time--language problems or not! Dinner with our new friends is always the highlight of the day!

Request the table now, if you haven't done so already. The 2-tops are limited and can't be guaranteed.

Since kiddo won't be dining with you, that sort of throws the "family dining" thing out the window! If you do happen to be seated with others, I'm betting you will have a wonderful time--language problems or not! Dinner with our new friends is always the highlight of the day!

Table for two wasn't an option when we were booking...:(

We dined with the others and prefer to dine alone... Had a couple of weird matches.

No, a table for two isn't one of the choices when booking. Even the choices of main or late dining and small or large table are treated as requests, not guarantees. You need to have your TA (or you need to call RCI if you booked directly) add the request to your reservation. It will be listed under "special requests" or something like that. RCI won't guarantee any specific seating assignments, but they do take requests into account. If you find that you haven't been assigned to the size of table you want when you board, you can go as you did before and request a change. Sometimes it can be acommodated; sometimes not.

I should add that my DH and I agree with you. We prefer to eat at a table with just the two of us, or with just family when we're traveling together.

beachchick

Hi there,

Just off Explorer 2 weeks ago - you will love it, she is a beautiful, awesome ship! What was so peculiar is in booking almost one year before sailing, we had requested a table for 8 at the Main (6 pm) seating). A few years ago, we had been placed at a table for 4 and had a little difficulty conversing with the other couple. Conversation was strained and it was a bit of an awkward situation. We decided to go for the big table this time, in hopes that there would be lots of conversation.

Well, we missed the first evening in the dining room because we wanted to be out on deck for the sail away out of Miami, and ate in the Windjammer that evening (fabulous - sunset, casual atmosphere, just hubby and I, it was great!). The next day we went exploring and sneaked into the dining room to see where our table would be that evening. The tables were numbered and we found the area, but could not find our exact table; there were several large tables, and one tiny table set for two. After a few puzzling minutes of searching, a staff member wandered by and helped us - we found ourselves at that table for two and he declared this one was ours! Looking around, it was one of the only tables for two we saw... interesting!

We had a nice week eating alone and really didn't mind one way or the other. However, as stated above, I don't think the table for two is an option when booking. I believe you can talk with the dining room staff when you board, and check things out and make your request known at that time.

Additionally, we did see couples dining alone at large tables. You never know who is going to show up for dinner from one night to the next. My advice is to take a couple of evenings to see what happens, and then you can decide if you wish to eat in the Windjammer or the dining room from then on.

About the robes - I read in my documents that robes are available to Diamond Crown and Anchor members.

Have a great time!

~Karen

Archived