Hotel Recommendations Needed For Sydney and Auckland

Keith1010

I thought it best to post this question on this board as opposed to the board regarding hotels.

Would be interested in getting recommendations for Hotels in both Sydney, Australia and Auckland, New Zealand.

Would like to be centrally located in each city so that we can walk and/or take cabs to major sights and would like to stay in luxury hotels.

Thanks,

Keith

We were in Sydney for a three-day prestay in February and stayed at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay (http://www.stamford.com.au/sscq/). It's a small boutique hotel on Macguarie Street across from the Botanic Garden and less than a block from the Opera House. We had a package that included breakfast and concierge service. Wonderful place, nice amenities, and super staff. Easy to walk to most of the Sydney sights from the hotel.

To see a couple of pictures of the hotel, look at my Sydney pictures.

Well located 5 star luxury hotels in Sydney are:

The Four Seasons (fka The Regent)

The Park Hyatt

The Sheraton on the Park

I've stayed in all of them and recommend them.

Also recommended - though I've never stayed in any of them:

The Observatory

The Westin

The Shangri-La

The Shangri-La if formally the ANA, which didn't have a good reputation for service, only for it's excellent location. However, maybe when Shangri-La Hotels took over they upgraded the experience. Check on places like trip advisor for reviews.

For Auckland, the best hotel (from reviews I've read) seems to be the Sheraton. I've only been there once and we stayed in an awful B&B, so I can't make any personal recommendations.

Jane

We stayed at the Ascot Parnell, a b&B, for 4 nights prior to our cruise in January and can't say enough about the place. We could walk to almost everything. The place is new and everything was above our expectations.

The hosts, Bart & Theresa, were so friendly and the breakfasts were outstanding!

Tish

Tish,

Good to know for people that like B&B's.

We also stayed in Parnell - terrific location. Our B&B was called Chevron Chalet and it was terrible...not a dump....but almost.

We were in Sydney for a three-day prestay in February and stayed at Sir Stamford at Circular Quay (http://www.stamford.com.au/sscq/). It's a small boutique hotel on Macguarie Street across from the Botanic Garden and less than a block from the Opera House. We had a package that included breakfast and concierge service. Wonderful place, nice amenities, and super staff. Easy to walk to most of the Sydney sights from the hotel.

To see a couple of pictures of the hotel, look at my Sydney pictures.

We have also stayed at the Sir Stamford a few times and it is a lovely smaller type hotel. It was originally the Sydney Ritz Carlton and the interior is beautiful.

We have also stayed at the larger hotels especially the Sheraton on the Park but if you want to be close to the Opera House and Circular Quay I would vote for the Sir Stamford.

Jennie

I thought it best to post this question on this board as opposed to the board regarding hotels.

Would be interested in getting recommendations for Hotels in both Sydney, Australia and Auckland, New Zealand.

Would like to be centrally located in each city so that we can walk and/or take cabs to major sights and would like to stay in luxury hotels.

Thanks,

Keith

Some info on Auckland Hotels.

Heres a few choices all located close to down town and the ships berth at the port. In no particular order.

Hilton [next to the port berth]

Heritage

Stamford Plaza

Rydges

Carlton

If you want to find up market lodges and B&B try the N Z guide called Friars Guide http://www.friars.co.nz This lists out some great options throughout NZ. Let me know if you need any more help. Regards Ian [Tauranga

I wanted to thank all of you for your suggestions. I will now do followup research based on the recommendations that each of you has provided. Thanks again for all of the wonderful input to my question.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

We have stayed at the Sydney Marriott (not the Sydney Harbour Marriott) in the past and found it quiet with excellent staff, a 10 minute walk to Circular Quay. Our next trip (2008), we'll use our Marriott points and stay at the Harbour..just a short walk to the cruise ship and in a great location. The Park Hyatt is also in a great location but very expensive. It's a low rise on the water near the Rocks overlooking the Opera House. Well worth the price of a drink ($$$) to sit in the lounge looking out over the harbor...great memories.

We had 3 days pre-cruise in Auckland in January of this year and Holland America put us at the Langham. It is a lovely hotel with great food. I'd fly back there for their outstanding breakfast buffet and dinner. Just the Sticky Date Pudding was worth the trip!

Three years ago, in Sydney, we were at the Four Seasons pre cruise and it was a lovely hotel. This year, we were at the Sofitel and I can remember very little about it but I have no bad memories so it must have been OK.

The Hilton is on the pier, right where your cruise Ship docks. You can almost touch the Ship from your room!

Really make for easy embarkcation, just check out of the Hotel walk outside turn over your luggage and check in for the Ship!

Hi:

We're going on the Sapphire Princess next March,;) and staying one pre-night at the Carlton in Auckland, and after the cruise we have a post cruise tour planned; where we stay at the Sheraton Mirage in Port Douglas, and then the Sheraton Mirage Resort & Spa in Surfers Paradise, and then back to Sydney where we'll be staying one night at the Intercontinental Sydney, before we come home.

This will be our first time to these wonderful places and we are really excited about this trip. Has anyone stayed at any of these hotels or have any good or bad information about them?

Thanks in advance.

Happy Cruising.....Sparkle 10

Haven't stayed at the Mirage but went by there when we were in Port Douglas and it looks lovely. You might want to check it out on Trip Advisor. Have heard good reports on the Carlton. Sound like you have made good choices.

Just to add to your choices the hotels at Darling Harbour are worth considering. Darling Harbour is just the most beautiful place to stay and you can catch a local ferry or a water taxi from darling Harbour to Circular Quay and explore the Rocks area and view the Harbour Bridge. You can walk from Darling Harbour up to the city shops or to Chinatown. If you want to explore further the local ferry to Manly is great. Taking the ferry at night is also great - the harbour is beautiful then. Also walk up to the Domain and Hyde Park.

Sparkle 10,

We love the Mirage - have stayed at both many times. I especially love the Mirage on the Gold Coast. You walk down the path and onto miles and miles of beautiful beaches. It is away from the highrise and hustle & bustle of the Gold Coast (which is not particulary nice - don't even bother going into town). Main Beach which is closer is heaps better - nice restaurants.

I hope you have a great time.

Jane;)

jane02:

Hi:

We will be there next March, and I just read a post saying that March is not a good time to see the Great Barrier Reef because it is cyclone season. I know the weather is very unpredictable, but I was just wondering what your opinion was about this?

We've been saving and planning this trip for a very long time and I'm not sure if we'll be able to do it again; and I was just wondering if we made a mistake by booking a cruise and land tour for March.

Thanks to all the wonderful people who give such great advice on this board.

Happy C:) ruising....Sparkle 10

Hi Sparkle10

Do not be alarmed

Unlike the USA mid west Australia does not have a true Cyclone Season

Its just more common to have a bit of a blow during the change of seasons.

There was a remarkable cyclone earlier this year in the Cairns area - but that was a once in a lifetime event.

Areas south of Cairns were unaffected.

March IS a good time of year...less humidity and less crowds

cheers

Flipper

Flipper 133:

Thanks so much for your reply and words of encouragement reference the weather. I'm sure we'll have a great time to such a wonderful place. We're really looking forward to our cruise and land tour next March on the Sapphire Princess. I know I will want to return, perhaps with the rest of my family next time.

Thanks again.

Sparkle 10:)

We will be there next March, and I just read a post saying that March is not a good time to see the Great Barrier Reef because it is cyclone season. I know the weather is very unpredictable, but I was just wondering what your opinion was about this?

We've been saving and planning this trip for a very long time and I'm not sure if we'll be able to do it again; and I was just wondering if we made a mistake by booking a cruise and land tour for March.

Thanks to all the wonderful people who give such great advice on this board.

Happy C:) ruising....Sparkle 10

Sparkle 10,

We stayed at the Sydney Intercontinental pre-cruise this March (prior to boarding the Diamond). The hotel is wonderful, very comfortable, but we found the food there alittle overpriced. There are some excellent resturants in the Circular Quay area and near the hotel as options.

As a part of our pre-cruise tour, we flew from Sydney to Carins, but due to Cyclone Larry, never made it to the reef. The day we left Cairns back to Sydney (after being locked in the Hilton) the reef tours were back on with I assume reduced visibility. I guess you pay your money and take your chances, but for us, other than the cyclone (which actually hit land 40 miles south of us) we had an amazing time, plus it gives us an excuse to return someday to Carins - it's a great town....

Hope this helps,

brendan

Hi Sparkle,

March is a lovely time on the Gold Coast - in fact I've been there in March/April nearly every year for the past decade. The weather is always brilliant.

It can be a bit unsettled further north but still lovely and warm. We went to Port Douglas one New Years Eve and it rained and rained but we swam in the creeks and gorges and it was still wonderful.

Enjoy

Jane;)

Thank you Jane:

You are so lucky to be living in Australia. Where do people vacation when they live in such a lovely place? I wouldn't want to go anywhere else.

Thanks to everyone for their information and comments.

Happy Cruising.....Sparkle 10 (Anita);)

Archived