Poll, do you view signatures?

bruce-r

Do you view signatures?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Do you view signatures?

• Yes, I like them.
    • No, they spread the posts too far apart.
    • No, I'm on dial up and they make the page load slowly.
    • I didn't know I had an option to not view them

your point is well taken -- I have turned on WYSIWYG -- [font="Impact"-- have again chosen fonts and colors -- if I am seeing what I am going to get I am still seeing plain old font and plain black color -- even though I am supposed to be typing in magenta impact. -- (I even lowered myself to get advice from my DH who is our resident techie) I will have to see how this posts -- could it be my browser? Using Safari -- there is a warning about that.....I guess I am doomed to be ordinary and boring

your point is well taken -- I have turned on WYSIWYG -- [font="Impact"-- have again chosen fonts and colors -- if I am seeing what I am going to get I am still seeing plain old font and plain black color -- even though I am supposed to be typing in magenta impact. -- (I even lowered myself to get advice from my DH who is our resident techie) I will have to see how this posts -- could it be my browser? Using Safari -- there is a warning about that.....I guess I am doomed to be ordinary and boring
Bill Gates is out to get you, I think.:eek: We'll just use our imagination and put in what we each feel is the appropriate sizefont and color for your posts:p

I like seeing them - as others have written, it lets us "get to know each other." Also, it gives us our "cruise cred." After reading someone's posts for a few times, I do start to scroll thru them. But someone new, yes, I most likely will pause to look at their history.

When folks start to have 20, 30, 40, etc. cruises, it's really nice when they group them by some type of category such as cruiseline or destination. Thank you.

The very large glitter names get to be a bit much & if several cruises are booked with a countdown clock for each, that does take up a significant amount of space. The additional, non-cruise graphics are annoying as they too take up space.

I didn't know there was an option to not view sigs. I've often wondered about that since at times posters have asked questions of each other regarding upcoming cruises & I've thought - huh? just look at their sig, it's right there. Also, I regularly read the fashion board. I've noticed there that a lot of the posters don't even have sigs.

I love them and have them turned on. It helps me recognize the people I know and I like some of the creativity. I want to emphasize the word "some", not all. Some people get carried away.

Also, if you're insightful you can gather a lot about a person by their signature;) .

I have to admit I'm confused by those of you who say you don't like them and don't view them, but still have a signature. Something strange in that in my mind. If you don't enjoy other's signatures, why in the world would you think they would enjoy yours?:)

Incidently, there is no difference at all in how a page loads whether I have them turned on or off. I've tried it both ways ... no difference.

To each his own.

Incidently, there is no difference at all in how a page loads whether I have them turned on or off. I've tried it both ways ... no difference.

To each his own.

Go on a dialup connection and see if it makes a difference. It will! When we went on the world cruise, I turned off the signatures, avatars, and graphics. Yes I missed them, but pages loaded sooooooooo slow on the onboard connection that I did not want any extra stuff to slow it down more.

There have been several times that a poster asked a question but left out a little detail, like what ship or when they were sailing that would affect the answer to the question. By looking at the signature I could fill in the blanks and give a better answer.

Thank you too, Lisa, for displaying your cruises in your signature. We appreciate your acknowledging our upcoming cruises, which is the reason we display them in our signatures. So many experienced cruisers have links to their photos and reviews on their signatures, and a lot of us benefit from them.

We're about to do final shopping and then packing for our Baltic cruise.

Slinkie

I have to admit I'm confused by those of you who say you don't like them and don't view them, but still have a signature. Something strange in that in my mind. If you don't enjoy other's signatures, why in the world would you think they would enjoy yours?:)

THANK YOU!

I don't view the signatures, but as you have noted, SOME people like them, so why would I not have a short signature for them to see? I don't understand why I shouldn't have a signature because I don't view them. The signature isn't for me, it is for others to see.

Go on a dialup connection and see if it makes a difference. It will! When we went on the world cruise, I turned off the signatures, avatars, and graphics. Yes I missed them, but pages loaded sooooooooo slow on the onboard connection that I did not want any extra stuff to slow it down more.

so I am used to the loading of the page. The signatures do not worry me at all regarding the slowness. I have learnt to just be patient. :)

Jennie

so I am used to the loading of the page. The signatures do not worry me at all regarding the slowness. I have learnt to just be patient. :)

Jennie

Ah, yes, Jennie, but when paying by the minute, my patience wears thin very quickly!:)

Grumpy, you are absolutely right and I should have made that qualification!:D I meant with a broadband connection. How quickly I forget ... wasn't that long ago I was on dial-up and the pages took forever to load.

Sunshine, you are welcome:) ... and I stand by my statement;) .

Bruce-r I agree with you. Others might like to view the signatures. if they don't want to they can turn it off. Sometimes I look at signatures and sometimes not. I have to admit though i never realized you could turn off the sigs until just recently and I did think at the time those poor people on dial-up must get frustrated trying to read the board because it is sometimes very slow.:D

Last time I was around this same subject came up.

I do not care for all the long resumes, banners, extra larege fonts and other crapola. IMO it looks tacky. I am not saying the person is tacky, just the crap on the post. I was flamed before, so I guess I can take it again. ;)

I have the signatures turned off, too. There's just too much stuff to wade through for me. I was on another board last night and there were so many critters running around and so much flashy stuff that I had to get out of it. Some people just don't know when to quit. It never occurred to me that some people would find me less credible because I haven't listed my cruises, but if that's the case, then I guess I'll have to live with it.

It never occurred to me that some people would find me less credible because I haven't listed my cruises, but if that's the case, then I guess I'll have to live with it.

There's an old military saying, regarding the display of medals and ribbons... "I read his chest, I know the man". ... but the man is still the same man whether displaying the maedals or not.

The signatures serve somewhat the same purpose. It's easier to get a quick read on a person with a signature, but if you want to really get to know a person, reading the body of the posts will be the best way.

Sometimes there is a post from someone that I don't recognize that seems a little off the wall, so to speak. I often use the "show all posts by..." feature to see what else they've posted before wading into the fray. It's another way of getting to know the person behind the screen name.

Archived