Poll, do you view signatures?

bruce-r

Do you view signatures?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Do you view signatures?

• Yes, I like them.
    • No, they spread the posts too far apart.
    • No, I'm on dial up and they make the page load slowly.
    • I didn't know I had an option to not view them

I have a fast (cable) internet connection. But I turned them off a few months ago when this site was experiencing very sluggish response time. It sped things up then and I got used to the uncluttered look.

No, I don't anymore. Turned them off a long time ago when so many became unreasonable in length. The board loads faster and is so much easier to read without so many 'past cruises, future cruises, favorite cruises, glitter sigs, countdown clocks, pictures, logos', etc., most of which is of interest only to the poster her/himself.

I don't read the lists of cruises.....past or future. Neither short lists nor very lengthy lists.

I sometimes look at cute/unusual/fun images but the overlarge displays that go on for many inches, I never look at. I scroll past them as fast as possible.

I don't mind a short sig (next cruise, etc), but when people started listing their life history, that was it; I turned the option off. I just have mail info in mine.

I did not answer the poll because my response is not a choice. I can only see the signatures when I am not logged in -- I do not know why, nor have I particularly looked around to see if it is a preference that I can change. I would, however, be curious to know if it is a changeable preference.

I also cannot add icons to my text at any place, only at the top by the title -- again, I do not know if it is a preference, or if it has to do with my browser, or what.

At the present time I am using Safari on an anitquated old iMac, as my eleven month old power book that has always been a bit spooky went into "hard drive failure" a few days ago and is currently in intensive care getting a hard drive transplant.

I would be interested in knowing and trying some new things once my ailing computer has received its new brain.

To some degree, I think the signatures, tag lines and upcoming cruise graphics help posters to get to know one another. And, they can provide some perspective on the advice offered. For example, some signatures tell you that the poster has significant cruising experience which, for me, adds authenticity and weight to their comments or advice. I like the links to reviews and photos. Some folks have wonderful photo albums!

On the other hand, I have seen some upcoming cruise graphics (not on HAL board) that have a very distracting flashing neon quality which I don’t care for. Some of the very large graphics and glitter signatures seem a little overdone.

I have DSL, and rarely experience slow loading, so I probably wouldn’t turn off the signatures. But – I am a newbie – that opinion could change. :)

I did not answer the poll because my response is not a choice. I can only see the signatures when I am not logged in -- I do not know why, nor have I particularly looked around to see if it is a preference that I can change. I would, however, be curious to know if it is a changeable preference.

If you are not logged in, CC doesn't know who you are, so the display is the board "default" display, which is "show signatures". After you log in, the settings you have chosen in "user CP" determine how the pages display. You have the "show signatures" option turned off if the signatures do not display after you log in.

Down below the box where you type your responses is a section labeled "additional Options" ( you might have to scroll down to see it. There is a box there "disable smilies in text" that is probably checked and is keeping the smilies from showing in your posts.

Odd -- but when I go to "User CP" I do not have an option to show or not show signatures. I do have an option to edit my own signature -- but not to alter the display options.....unless I am just missing the obvious.

Odd -- but when I go to "User CP" I do not have an option to show or not show signatures. I do have an option to edit my own signature -- but not to alter the display options.....unless I am just missing the obvious.
user cp>edit options> check the box for "show signatures" Show avatars and show images is also there.

I apologize -- I did find the display options and once more I am enjoying full signatures as well as enhanced text options:eek:

Wow -- I now have to experiment with my new powers of communication -- I always wondered how the rest of you seem to do the colors, bold text, fonts, etc.:D -- There are even more smilies available now -- do I feel technically stupid for missing this before......

Nice try, but no cigar.

arzz, to change the font style/size/color in any given post you have to do it each time. (that is unless I totally missed something over the last two years.)

There's a testing board on CC where you can practice all sorts of tricks.

But, hey! Isn't it good to know that you're not insufferable! :D

I am going to have to go to the testing board -- when I select the font, color, etc, it displays text that indicates that I have done so, but does not change the text in any way. Back to the drawing board.

I definitely do not dislike them. I find them informative such as our friend Grumpy, if he did not have in his signature his count down I would not know that he was leaving on the Rotterdam in just 19 days:) This way I can wish him and Slinkie and early Bon Voyage:D

I like to know something about the person posting, but some of the signatures are so long that I just don't bother looking at them. I do like to know if someone has a cruise coming up soon, though.

I find them helpful for getting to know people. They also add some personality and color to the board. Avatars do that too, but there's only so much that can be done with an avatar, and sometimes what one puts in a signature can be helpful in other ways (like count-down clocks to cruises ... one's own or someone else's). I don't normally bother reading a signature every time I read someone's post, but if it's someone new and they have a signature I do note it and what it says about them.

Mine is a simple one ... I give a link to my website where my photos can be found. I give a notice to my upcoming cruises (no clocks anymore) and a banner for the Spamdam cruise. That's about it (right now).

Gee, Arzz, I don't know what your doing wrong, of course, I never use the different FONTS, or sizes, or Colors, So i don't know what you are doing wrong. Maybe go back to user cp andmake sure that full WYSIWYG editing is turned on...

I kinda enjoy them. Of course we've only been around for about 9 mos., maybe we'll get tired of them. We do have a cable connection, so load time isn't a bother. Usually don't read all the history cruises, but do like to see who's got what coming up:cool:

I definitely do not dislike them. I find them informative such as our friend Grumpy, if he did not have in his signature his count down I would not know that he was leaving on the Rotterdam in just 19 days:) This way I can wish him and Slinkie and early Bon Voyage:D
Thanks, Lisa. and it's only 13 days until we head to London for a week precruise. Time goes fast when you're having fun... but it sure drags when you're waiting for the start of a vacation, doesn't it?:D

Archived