Poll, do you view signatures?

bruce-r

Do you view signatures?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Do you view signatures?

• Yes, I like them.
    • No, they spread the posts too far apart.
    • No, I'm on dial up and they make the page load slowly.
    • I didn't know I had an option to not view them

Grumpy, we're on the same page. I do the same thing when a post just seems off the wall. The signatures help me and also, over time I begin to recognize people better with them.

Those without avatars or signatures are less recognizable to me unless they post frequently.

Unless you have a dial-up connection, I'm puzzled about "wading through" signatures. I simply scroll down to the next post. I just don't see the signatures as being in the way at all.

What's the hurry? It's all just fun for me.:)

I have the signatures turned off, too. There's just too much stuff to wade through for me. I was on another board last night and there were so many critters running around and so much flashy stuff that I had to get out of it. Some people just don't know when to quit. It never occurred to me that some people would find me less credible because I haven't listed my cruises, but if that's the case, then I guess I'll have to live with it.

LOL at your discription of the site you were on. I know exactly what you are talking about. :eek:

Ignore the credibility comments. This always comes up when this subject is resurrected. Anyone can create a list a mile long, this doesn't make them credible by any means.

I already figured that many people here think I am not "credible" because I don't have the many, many cruises listed in my signature. You can tell by the way you may respond to someone, then another poster says the same thing a little while later and the OP will thank them. I have seen this too often on this site.

Reading Gizmo's post, I have to qualify my prior post!!!:D I missed Tricia's comment about the critters running all over:eek: . Good point! I have to admit I hate all the flashing, moving objects, flowers growing, etc!

LauraS had a sticky not long ago asking people to please try to shorten their signatures, but her plea seems to have had no effect. She even suggested people list their cruises with commas instead of the endless lists we see. I don't think many people even bothered to read her thread.

I do find it funny when I see a one sentence post and about an 8 inch signature. When we post, we can turn our own signature off if we want. Maybe for a brief post, that's a good way to go.

LauraS had a sticky not long ago asking people to please try to shorten their signatures, but her plea seems to have had no effect. She even suggested people list their cruises with commas instead of the endless lists we see. I don't think many people even bothered to read her thread.

I have always thought that a lot of the problems on CC are caused by the unnecessary 'stuff' that has to get downloaded, but everybody said I was wrong. Laura must now have a reason for asking for shorter sigs.

Sometimes someone will quote an ENTIRE very long post or a 12" review just to answer one sentence in it with one word! (You can click the 'quote' function and then delete all but what you want to reply to instead of leaving the whole quoted post up there, btw.) Then comes a few blank inches, then a list of all the cruises they have ever been on (sometimes 10, 15, 20) as far back as the 60s or before, than a fancy sig and maybe some swaying palm trees and glitter, then a countdown clock for the next 4 cruises! All for one short reply of less than a sentence sometimes. No wonder so many people delete all sigs. ;)

And I hate those people who have to enclose an entire quote when they go to post and make a remark about that post.

Let's get real here - I for one do remember what I wrote and do not need to be reminded of it.

Okay - so now I know I shall be flamed - go ahead - I don't care.

And I hate those people who have to enclose an entire quote when they go to post and make a remark about that post.

Let's get real here - I for one do remember what I wrote and do not need to be reminded of it.

Okay - so now I know I shall be flamed - go ahead - I don't care./quote]I agree with you on most of the points you've mentioned, KK, and consider your views to be as credible as anyone elses. I try to edit the quoted text down to the pertinent sentence or paragraph, but I do quote. You may remember what you said, but on this thread, right now you have 4 posts. If I were to wait until a couple more people post and then just said I agree with you and did not quote, how would anyone know what I was agreeing with? That you aren't credible? Or that people are not following Laura's advice? Or that I hate people that enclose entire quotes. Those are all taken from your posts, and if I were coming into a thread for the first time, you would have no idea what I was agreeing with. And I hope there's nothing in this post that you will take as a flame:)

I agree with this sentiment. Sometimes after a person has posted a long review, I've seen where a person felt the need to quote the entire review only to say, "Thanks for the review". I just don't understand that. It would be nice if people would edit the quote so it was only the part they are responding to, not the whole thing.

BTW KK, Why do you always post in bold. I'm not being critical, just curious.

I already figured that many people here think I am not "credible" because I don't have the many, many cruises listed in my signature. You can tell by the way you may respond to someone, then another poster says the same thing a little while later and the OP will thank them. I have seen this too often on this site.
KK, that happens to all of us from time to time. I think what happens is when the OP comes back and there have been several posts, if the last one is what they are looking for, that's the one that gets credit. There have been many times that I have replied to someone, three posts further down someone else says exactly the same thing and that's the only post that gets acknowledged. And no one can accuse me of being bashful about my signature:D I'll be glad when the Halloweendam cruise is over so I can get rid of that boat running back and forth across the page though.:D

Ah, yes, Jennie, but when paying by the minute, my patience wears thin very quickly!:)

Grumpy,

We have a great rate, unlimited download and unlimited time for under $20AUD a month. Not worth changing over to cable or ADSM as they work out a lot more expensive, plus the cost of a phone call is under 20c for unlimited amount of time. We do have a great standard of living down here!

Jennie

Grumpy,

We have a great rate, unlimited download and unlimited time for under $20AUD a month. Not worth changing over to cable or ADSM as they work out a lot more expensive, plus the cost of a phone call is under 20c for unlimited amount of time. We do have a great standard of living down here!

Jennie

I was referring to when I'm on a ship and paying the exorbitant per minute rates. That's when my patience wears thin. We have unlimited broadband service here at home so everything loads pretty quick.

This thread is about opinion poll on signatures. You just post your opinion and leave it; you don’t have to fight over it. If you don’t want to see the signature, you have a choice to turn it off. There is no such thing as who is right, who is wrong? Everyone who posted here is right and let us leaves it that way.

........................Sometimes someone will quote an ENTIRE very long post or a 12" review just to answer one sentence in it with one word! .................. ;)

I agree completely, Peaches!:) But I honestly do think that some people don't realize they can delete much of the quoted post. Maybe they'll learn now??? That's would be a good thing;) .

KK, I agree with Grumpy that you only notice when this happens to you. I've had it happen many times myself and always think "hey, wait a minute! Didn't I just say that?". But I realize not everyone reads all posts. I know I don't. So it happens ... no biggie ... and it certainly doesn't mean that people hear don't think you're credible. I'm sure they do.

Sea, not sure I understand your last post. Everyone can post on any thread as often as they like. Is someone fighting????? I must have missed that ... feels like a conversation to me with a lot of agreement. As far as "leaving it that way", once you're here awhile you'll come to find out nobody ever just "leaves" it:D , i.e. that's why we talk about "dead horses" so much!!!

I agree completely, Peaches!:)

Gee Whiz, Heather, you and I are agreeing way too much lately! People will begin to wonder what's happening. :D

(BTW, I'm a Brighton girl, too. Saw you mention that the other day. I just bought my third summer handbag this year and I keep telling DH- 'Oh, that's an old one, you just don't remember it'! Hard to believe he keeps falling for this old trick.)

I wonder why you asked why my posts are in "bold" type? Did you not start from the begining and notice that a couple of others posted in bold as well as "large" type and in various shades of color a couple of times? (Some in jest because one posted was having some problems.)

I wonder why you asked why my posts are in "bold" type?
I asked you because I was also responding to a previous post you had made.

Did you not start from the begining and notice that a couple of others posted in bold as well as "large" type and in various shades of color a couple of times?
I did start from the beginning, in fact, I started this thread.

So, would you care to answer my question? Again, I'm not being critical. I'm just curious.

I was referring to when I'm on a ship and paying the exorbitant per minute rates. That's when my patience wears thin. We have unlimited broadband service here at home so everything loads pretty quick.

I realized after I posted that you were referring to using dial up on the ship and not on land, my mistake. :)

By the way, my sister and brother in law have just had 28 days on the Prinsendam doing the Amazon trip and loved it, especially the ship, officers and crew. They were first cruised on her when HAL first took over, on a cruise from Mombasa to Singapore and said it is better than ever!

Jennie

Gee Whiz, Heather, you and I are agreeing way too much lately! People will begin to wonder what's happening. :D

(BTW, I'm a Brighton girl, too. Saw you mention that the other day. I just bought my third summer handbag this year and I keep telling DH- 'Oh, that's an old one, you just don't remember it'! Hard to believe he keeps falling for this old trick.)

I know, Peaches ... I noticed! Who'da thunk it??;) Hey, when you're right, you're right:) (which lately is most of the time).

Re: Brighton ... I can relate. Just today I put one of mine back into its nice white pouch to change to another. I play the same game you do with DH. I find if you just walk around the house with it a few times when he's not home, you can then say "this old thing???":D .

Sorry, all! I know I'm OT, but in a way Brighton and Chico's ARE my signature!!!

I'll be bold;) and ask everyone. I have always wondered why someone would change the font and click on "bold" every single time. I will do it sometimes when I really want to drive home my point, but I can't imagine going to the trouble every single time.

So "bold" posters, why?:D

Archived