Good Fares on HAL....Booked Another Solo Cruise

Roz

Yesterday I booked another 10-day solo cruise on HAL. This time I'm sailing on the Volendam to the Southern Caribbean. The price I got for an HH guarantee (obstructed window) was 142% of the price I would have paid for a double.

There are a lot of things that keep me coming back to HAL - service, friendly staff, food, beautiful ships, etc. - but the lower single supplement is the icing on the cake.

I really can't justify paying 200% on Celebrity, Norwegian, and RCI. Do you really get double the enjoyment and amenities? If you haven't sailed HAL, I think you need to give them a try.

Roz

Leaves Ft. Lauderdale on Mon., Nov. 13

2 days At Sea

Aruba

Curacao

At Sea

Dominica

St. Thomas

At Sea

Half Moon Cay

Return to Ft. Lauderdale on Thanksgiving, Nov. 23

I've also just booked a cabin on the Prinsendam for next year - Top of the World. I am going with a good friend, but we each enjoy having our own cabins and privacy. I was able to book one of their single cabins at a very good rate. Excellent location and good size outside. Not many cruise lines have single cabins at all.

I've read nothing but positive things about HAL and am looking forward to the trip..

I leave in two weeks solo on Princess to Southeast Asia. I have splurged on a balcony because of a significant price reduction. I'm anxious to sit quietly outside and relax.

Happy cruising all.

Pat

Yesterday I booked another 10-day solo cruise on HAL. This time I'm sailing on the Volendam to the Southern Caribbean. The price I got for an HH guarantee (obstructed window) was 142% of the price I would have paid for a double.

There are a lot of things that keep me coming back to HAL - service, friendly staff, food, beautiful ships, etc. - but the lower single supplement is the icing on the cake.

I really can't justify paying 200% on Celebrity, Norwegian, and RCI. Do you really get double the enjoyment and amenities? If you haven't sailed HAL, I think you need to give them a try.

Roz

Great job Roz in finding that deal :) !!!!!! Agreed that paying 200% is not the thing to do on any cruise line. Don't remember if I have mentioned before, but I was on the original Westerdam & had a great time !!!!! The cruise director ( can't remember her name ) so far is the BEST cruise director I have seen on any ship. I would sail on HAL again but right now Carnival has been getting my money ;) !!!!

I cruised solo once, and thoroughly enjoyed the whole trip, but it was a last minute sale deal. Now when I look at booking single, I keep finding that dreaded 200% fare.

It seems HAL has single rooms and 150% fares...not to sound daft, but which cruiseline is HAL?:confused:

Hi Faith,

I'm looking forward to my Asia trip - happy to share the info. I am on Pacific Princess - 16 days - Bangkok to Beijing. Stops in Kuantan, Malaysia, Singapore, Ho Chi Minh City, Nha Trang, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Nagasaki and Pusan, So Korea.

I had originally booked an outside obstructed sailing 5/29. The June 14th sailing had such reductions in price I was able to go then and get a wonderful BB Balcony for only $400 more. My cruise fare was $4400 plus the $800 gov't fees, etc.

I like the size of the ship - think it is easier to meet people on a smaller ship and she can get into the ports without the delay of tenders necessasry with the larger ships. If you'd like more info, let me know.

Pat

Cruisecontroler,

HAL doesn't have single rooms, per se, they're regular double rooms but you only pay a 140-150% single supplement on certain sailings. They don't offer the reduced supplement during peak times.

The steward will put the 2 bed single beds together for you to make a queen size, or can leave them separate. I've done it both ways, and I think you have more room to move around the cabin by leaving them separate and having the space inbetween.

Roz

I'm really excited for you. I'd love to hear about your trip when you return. My email is faith77@comcast.net if you'd like to email me directly. I work at a university library and I usually travel in June and December.

Sounds like you got a great deal. I am sure that you will have a wonderful time. I was in Bangkok for 6 nights as part of a tour 2 years ago--it was a great introduction to Asia.

Have a wonderful trip.

Faith

Hi Roz - Beg to differ - on the Prinsendam there are two single cabins - 100 and 101 - category Q - on the upper Promenade. I don't know if they have others on other ships, but I felt lucky to find this on a trip I wanted very much to take.

Faith, I'll drop you an email - I'd love to hear more about Bangkok. I only have half a day there this trip and am trying to prioritize what to see - seems the Grand Palace is a must. I may not even remember my name by the end of the 20+ hour flight - but hope to return in a year or so for more indepth trip. Cruises are a wonderful way to get a taste of the different countries and cultures.

It's great to share info like this.

Pat

Pat,

Agree about the Prisendam. What I was trying to do was not give the impression that single cabins were on HAL ships as a matter of course. I consider the Prisendam the exception rather than the rule.

Roz

Roz,

Agree it is an exception rather than the rule - and what a very nice exception she is!! I also found single cabins on a Viking River Cruise through Russia that I am taking this September. There certainly aren't very many around.

Pat

Roz,

Could you email me the agency name that you used to find your great price? I already have a solo cruise booked for the beginning of Nov., but would love to do a 10 day southern carribean. I have never sailed on HAL before, but would love to give it a try. I did price your exact cruise on an online agency, and the price was fantastic, as well as the value added perks that they throw in. Who knows, if I can get my airline award ticket changed to Nov. 13, I just may join you on your cruise! Thanks!

Tony.

*****@******

Roz,

Could you email me the agency name that you used to find your great price? I already have a solo cruise booked for the beginning of Nov., but would love to do a 10 day southern carribean. I have never sailed on HAL before, but would love to give it a try. I did price your exact cruise on an online agency, and the price was fantastic, as well as the value added perks that they throw in. Who knows, if I can get my airline award ticket changed to Nov. 13, I just may join you on your cruise! Thanks!

Tony.

******@******

Oops! I just realized that it is against community guidelines to inquire about travel agencys on the boards. I tried to edit my above post, but it was too late. Sorry about the mis-understanding.

Tony.

Tony,

I used a website where you submit what you're looking for and travel agencies "compete" to give you their best price. I got 5 bids on my request, and they were within a reasonable range of each other, so any number of TAs could probably give you a good price on this cruise.

Roz

Hi Tony:D

Maybe we will eventually sail together again:) I know you have

a couple "in process" this year....my only one left in 2006 is for

December.

Next time we chat let me know if you are looking at something

for 2007:)

Hey Lois, I guess our Celebrity cruises aren't going to match again. I'm on the Constellation for 11 days in late November, the Mille for 7 days on Jan 14, '07 and back on the Mille in the Med in mid-May.

Hi...I see you are sailing for a week on Millie in January and I looked

on the website. Is that a special Culinary cruise?:D

I think we all can commiserate about these. I grabbed a 110% fare for December 2006 on the Seabourn Pride, 7 days, Barbados/Barbados. Unfortunately I have heard the 110% supplement is going the way of the dodo, it will probably be 125% from here on in. Worth it to me; I adore the smaller ships of Seabourn, although Alaska on HAL's Amsterdam was quite beautiful as well. I have a blast traveling solo...it's really fun, but then I've been single most of my life, so I'm very used to it.

Jane :)

Jane, have you ever done Seabourn before? You're in for a treat. I've sailed on them 6 times and the food and service are amazing. The only reason I stopped sailing on them is because they don't have balconies. Have you tried Crystal? They have 25% single supplements for all their cruises. I'm doing a 17 day LA to Hong Kong on the Symphony next March and the price is really great for 17 days on Crystal.

Lois, yes, it's the special culinary cruise. I hope Paula from the Food Network is back on for our's. She was on the last culinary cruise on the Mille and my friends who were on board said she was absolutely fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to sail Crystal single, and I do that, put a really good TA on the job. S/he may not get the supplement down, but mine gets the cruise credits up - significantly. That comes in very, very handy.

• 1 month later...

Archived