How bad will it be? Going from suite to inside

lovn2liv

Please advise

We are taking a costly cruise this summer on the new Crown Princess. However, just got a Mariner special pricing deal and can take another cruise (which wasn't planned) very inexpensively $499 inside room in the fall on the Westerdam. So for the two of us, overall, about $1200 bucks.

Last year at this time, we had a corner "aft" cabin/balcony and loved it so much that we practically never left the room during the day, because the balcony was so fabulous. Neptune Lounge coffee...just loved the whole experience.

In reality we really never experienced much of the ship during the day. So if we stay in an inside, then we will be spending more time on the decks, etc.

So to get another unexpected cruise under our belt, we need to make some sacrifices.

Has anyone gone from one extreme to another on a cruise in regards to accomodations, and lived to experience a positive story?

I know this does seem like a silly question, but I'm anxious to know what that experience was like. How tough is an inside to boot?

Thank you.

Colleen

Hey, you will be on the ship...how bad could it be?

We always book inside guarantee so we can cruise often. We have had mini-suites and balconies and of course they are better, but I don't stress about it. Just go up on deck when you want to get outside in the sun. If you put the tv on to the bow cam you can see what the weather is like outside. You really don't realize you are inside because of the room configuration. I would rather cruise more often than just one big extravaganza.

Two years ago, we did something similar. To celebrate my SOs retirement, I booked a suite on Oosterdam....and like you....we had a great time enjoying the suite life, grabbing goodies from the Neptune Lounge, enjoying the special invitations that come with the suite, and generally loving all the extra space.

About halfway through the trip, HAL sent around a letter offering passengers the opportunity to stay onboard for another week in either an inside cabin for $299 or an outside cabin for $399 per person. So, we accepted the offer, and when the dust settled, we had an outside cabin on main deck for $372 each.

We laughed when we moved....it seemed like such an abrupt change, but you know what....we had as good....if not better....time the second week. The weather was much better, we liked the ports better, and as you said, we were out and about on the ship more since we didn't have a balcony.

We didn't have an inside, so I can't address that issue. However, I did get a look at some of the insides on main deck, and they are quite large and have a nice layout. These are category "J" cabins, and I'm sure if you could get one of them, you would be satisfied. We did speak to a couple of other people who also accepted the offer to stay a second week, and they were assigned those "J" cabins and were well pleased.

I consider that my best cruise bargain of all times, and it might not be a suite, but knowing you got a great deal seems to make up for a lot.

thanks for the posts....it sounds very encouraging.

cusyl, Hey, you will be on the ship...how bad could it be?

I hear you on that. I just want to stick to my guns and stick with the inexpensive plans. I have always regretted when I cut costs but if I want to continue to cruise a couple of times a year...then I need to get use to working on those expenses.

Tricia, thanks for your insight. I would have been all over that deal also. What a great surprise. Going from the Prince to the Pauper all in one week. Too funny. Keeps you humble. That's a good thing.

Anyone else have words of experience?

What date are you thinking about? I have also been looking at the Caribbean for the fall and have not seen that price anywhere. Because I will be going solo I have been looking at inside accomodations.

On our first cruise we had an inside cabin, while it was very small (NCL) it wasn't that bad.

Last year on the Oosterdam we had an S, this spring on RCI's Vision we had an oceanview. Did the E. Carib 3 years ago and loved it. While we enjoyed the suite perks I know we cannot always have one:mad:

Been checking on air, does anybody use Jet Blue? I think they have recently added Fort Lauderdale from our area. Theirs is the best price I can find but they only have 1 flight a day at 11:59pm. :confused:

What date are you thinking about? I have also been looking at the Caribbean for the fall and have not seen that price anywhere. Because I will be going solo I have been looking at inside accomodations.

On our first cruise we had an inside cabin, while it was very small (NCL) it wasn't that bad.

Last year on the Oosterdam we had an S, this spring on RCI's Vision we had an oceanview. Did the E. Carib 3 years ago and loved it. While we enjoyed the suite perks I know we cannot always have one:mad:

Been checking on air, does anybody use Jet Blue? I think they have recently added Fort Lauderdale from our area. Theirs is the best price I can find but they only have 1 flight a day at 11:59pm. :confused:

We got a letter from HAL because we are a Mariner...we are thinking of the October 22 timeframe. There are some deals out there that are about $100 more but they at the same time they are offering a soda card for 2, and dinner for 2 in their specialty steak house (i just can't remember the name of it at this moment, brain cramp). So overall that is about $80 in perks they are offering...so there are deals like the one I got.

Good luck.

You'll be just fine! Thanks to the "Up Grade Fairy" we've gone from balcony cabins to suites several times.

:eek: Then, we decided to go on a cruise where all that was left were INSIDE cabins. Yes, we booked it and honestly had the BEST time. (For sure ... in our TOP 5 All-Time Favorite Cruises):)

Go for it! It's not the stateroom that makes the cruise! :D

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Hey, you will be on the ship...how bad could it be?

We always book inside guarantee so we can cruise often. We have had mini-suites and balconies and of course they are better, but I don't stress about it. Just go up on deck when you want to get outside in the sun. If you put the tv on to the bow cam you can see what the weather is like outside. You really don't realize you are inside because of the room configuration. I would rather cruise more often than just one big extravaganza.

Ditto here too. You're on a ship. How bad can that be?

Sure, you will miss the suite ... the extra room, the balcony, etc. But not having a suite will just mean that you have to spend more time out and about on the ship. Head up to the Lido deck and find a nice lounger where you can spend your afternoon with a good book and a view of the ocean going by. Head up to the Crow's Nest if it's too warm on an outside deck. All the absence of a suite will mean is that it will be less pleasurable to spend time in your cabin. So, you have to get out and about more.

Also, with a Caribbean itinerary, you're gonna be spending about four days out of the seven of your cruise in port. Get out and wander around ... or do that excursion you've always been meaning to take.

I always stay in inside cabins mainly because I usually travel solo and the single supplement is attractive on them. On a suite, the single supplement will usually run 200% ... not worth it to me. I've never had a problem with an inside cabin on HAL. Their staterooms do run bigger than most ships and for two people, you will have all the room you need.

It's always seemed to me that the people who prefer suites are the folks who tend to spend more time in their cabin. The suite is very nice for that ... lots of room, a balcony to sit out on, etc. The bigger the suite, the less time its occupants usually spend out on the public decks, and for good reason. But, I'm the type of person ... specifically because I do travel solo ... who likes to get out and meet people. I'd much prefer to be on a public deck, striking up a conversation with someone, than holed up in my stateroom. So, I only use that inside stateroom during the day as a pit stop, and to take my afternoon nap.

Go and enjoy your cruise. The choice of a stateroom on a seven-dayer will hardly matter.

Blue skies ...

--rita

It's always seemed to me that the people who prefer suites are the folks who tend to spend more time in their cabin. The suite is very nice for that ... lots of room, a balcony to sit out on, etc. The bigger the suite, the less time its occupants usually spend out on the public decks, and for good reason.

That's exactly why we get a suite. We like staying in our room, but spend most of our time on our balcony with a good book and a glass of wine.

But I would never pass up an opportunity to cruise...even if it were in an inside cabin. The benefit of this for us would be that possibly we'd get out and see more of the ship.

I have friends who always get an inside cabin. They never spend time in their room, so they don't spend the extra money on it. All they do is sleep in the room...so it makes good sense for them. :)

I have been in an SS category cabin in November -- LOVED it and the bathroom and the balcony and all the cabin space -- and then, a month and a week later, have gone in a J-category inside on main deck -- and LOVED it too. I don't have any trouble going either way, and generally have a blast regardless. If I have the balcony and the extra space I, usually, spend more time there and not out and about on the ship, but regardless I have a great time.

Do it! Go and have a blast! I would.

Someone (I don't know who! :D) once said "a luxury once tasted becomes a necessity". I think that's true, to an extent, but I can eat prime rib one night in a restaurant and be satified with a hamburger the next.

I look at it this way, regardless of cabin, we all eat in the same dining room and have access to the same entertainment and ports.

Roz

Someone (I don't know who! :D) once said "a luxury once tasted becomes a necessity". I think that's true, to an extent, but I can eat prime rib one night in a restaurant and be satified with a hamburger the next.

I look at it this way, regardless of cabin, we all eat in the same dining room and have access to the same entertainment and ports.

In my opinion, the "luxury" that has become a "necessity" is cruising ... plane and simple. It can be in an SS or an inside J ... either way, it's a luxury I crave and to which I am addicted and from which I have no desire to be delivered. :D

We will also experience a totally different cruise experience this summer sailing with kids and grandkids. Different, not bad, in fact wonderful. Look at it as a different type of cruise. You will not be on your balcony but maybe you can enjoy that special part of the ship where you have always wanted to spend more time. I'm sure, if you want, you can find a quiet lounger on the side of the ship. Just think, what a wonderful feeling when you exit your cruise this summer to know that October brings you back to the sea. Go, have a great time!!!

We had a Veranda Suite on the Veendam Alaska cruise last May and an inside on the Magica EC last February. IMO I would not want anything less than a balcony if you are going to Alaska and see little need for other than inside (especially if you are counting pennies) for a Caribbean cruise. :)

Thanks everyone for rocking me back into reality and what is most important...These ships are awesome, and there really are some great spots in the public areas that we definitely didn't take advantage of. "Up and about" can be the theme of this cruise for us.

I'm a super early riser (5-6AM). Hubby could sleep until 8 - 9 easily. I'll just have to get into the routine of finding that special place for the early riser's area, and make it my second home. When he awakens, he can find me.

This is such a great post...please keep'm coming. I think the message here is look at the bright side of everything! We are blessed no matter what category we are staying in.

My wife and I were on the Zuiderdam in an SS suite in Dec. of last year. Got home and wanted to cruise again really soon. Found an awesome deal on the Dawn Princess inside cabin. 10 days out of our home port of SF to the Mexican Riviera. Well to make a long story short. We loved both and would not hesitate to book an inside room just to be back on the high seas. In fact I'm looking for a deal for this Dec on the Dawn again. I loved this ship. The food was 10 times better than HAL. Soooooo go for it. You won't regret it......after all your cruisin'.:D

liv2cruise4ever--good to hear you really enjoyed your Dawn Princess cruise. I will be on this ship in December for the holidays.

Like you SF is a home port--so no airports or shuttle buses for me this year.

I cruise solo mostly so my goal is always to just get on the ship.

Faith

I think that not going at all if I can't have a balcony is not an option. I'd like to do as many cruises as I can, and if splurging for one and cutting corners for others is the way I can do it, then that seems to be the answer. I like the idea of taking advantage of the public areas, and moving around the ship.

Thanks everyone.

At this point in time I can't imagine, short of winning a cruise and even then we'd try to pay to upgrade to at least an outside, us in an inside cabin. DW is mildly claustrophobic, though not to the point of panic, and would not be comfortable in a room where she couldn't see out. There's also some residual feelings connected with being in the Pentagon in an interior, windowless office on September 11, that make an inside cabin just not a good choice for us. I doubt, even when we're both retired, we'll cruise more than once a year so we'll probably stick with verandah cabins as long as we continue to cruise or go to every other year to be able to afford what we want.

randyk47, I can understand your predicament. Haven't experienced either misfortune, and I'm sorry that you both have those feelings and experiences.

years ago I was in a situation where someone came into a public place and started shooting a gun. I wasn't terribly familiar with the building and it took a while to get out of harms way. It was horrifying. It took me a while to feel comfortable in public buildings and I was absolutely focused on exits, just in case.

We've walked passed inside cabins and have always thought, wow, they seem so little and closet like. But, we are always willing to try new things and my feeling is if others can find pleasure (evidence in this post), then there is no reason why we cannot.

Take care

Archived