Summit Alaskan cruise disappointment (MERGER OF 5 THREADS ON THIS TOPIC)

Hondu

[quote name='renebfl']I can not understand why other( and really why does it matter to me), understand the issue...THEY KNEW IT BEFORE WE LEFT PORT. That is our issue ![/quote]Right. And 6 times in 2004 when a cruise line know they would have to change their itinerary/miss ports, the pax got zilch. Other times, $50, $100, $150 (when the ship never made it to the Caribbean and missed every port, and $250 (when the ship crashed, took on water and had to be repaired).

To refebfl

Just keep focused on what you are trying to accomplish. You will have "park" some opinions as unavoidable. It is interesting that you have 3 significant "ship wreck" events this year. There is the QM2 which if you go to the cruise critic thread under Cunard and go back to around January 21, 2006, there is some very interesting posts on that cruise. It made me laugh when I read some of the nasty opinions on that thread. Then we have your ill fated cruise followed by a recent posting regarding a Princess Cruise. So far 66.6666% of cruises "gone wrong" had made reasonable settlements leaving your cruise all by its' own. Based on what happended with your cruise, the settlement should be higher than these 2 cruises.

Griswalds

[quote name='renebfl']I can not understand why other( and really why does it matter to me), understand the issue...THEY KNEW IT BEFORE WE LEFT PORT. That is our issue ![/QUOTE]

[quote name='griswalds']To refebfl

Just keep focused on what you are trying to accomplish. You will have "park" some opinions as unavoidable. It is interesting that you have 3 significant "ship wreck" events this year. There is the QM2 which if you go to the cruise critic thread under Cunard and go back to around January 21, 2006, there is some very interesting posts on that cruise. It made me laugh when I read some of the nasty opinions on that thread. Then we have your ill fated cruise followed by a recent posting regarding a Princess Cruise. So far 66.6666% of cruises "gone wrong" had made reasonable settlements leaving your cruise all by its' own. Based on what happended with your cruise, the settlement should be higher than these 2 cruises.
griswalds[/QUOTE]
Some people still seem to think that this is about just missing two ports.
This Summit cruise was nothing but ten straight days of dissapointments from Celebrity for things that should have been under their control. Yes the two ports missed were very important, but seeing Hubbard Glacier from 5 to 7 miles away and then just turning around and leaving was a major dissapointment. I know that some people buy the excuse that another ship was already there, but does this mean that if we had not been on a defective ship that we were not going to see Hubbard Glacier anyway? If so Celebrity should post this fact in those beautiful brochures. This is about being lied to by the Captain about why we dropped anchor for eight hours at the North end of Vancouver Island. Later the truth came out that Celebrity had failed to secure a pilot.
This is about having time shortened in most of the ports that the Summit was able to get too. Missing more than 50% of the vacation that I purchased because of Celebrity's management problems is what this is all about.
Then to be insulted by Celebrity by offering us $200 per cabin and a worthless 30% off coupon for chance to go through this again someday.

X took away part of our once in a lifetime holiday and they blatantly lied about it, on several occasions, for no other reason than to cover up their own incompetence.We could accept bad weather, (unexpected) mechanical breakdown - even a drunk captain! But not these forseeable and preventable problems.Please X, don't do this to anyone else. Add a big dollop of customer service, apologise to everyone, put together a maintenance plan, give us back what you took away and we'll get on with our lives.

As we missed 2 ports and we paid port taxes (?let's assume $30.00 per person per port), is it reasonable that we pay taxes for those ports that we never got to? Therefore. we paid $120 dollars in taxes and Celebrity very generously refunded us $200-which in my books is $80!! as a refund. And if you used the $80.00 to buy, let's say some drinks, Celebrity actually refunded you much less than eighty dollars as the markup on alcohol is enormous!!! We had a great time in spite of the disappointingly poor up keep and general shabby state of the ship , aborted intineray and general anger dissatisfaction about the situation from most of people we met. We decided to enjoy whatever we could and not waste our precious holiday in meetings and waiting to speak to useless reps. I have cancelled my next cruise with this company . When I order steak, I expect steak and not hamburgers. However, if I am hungry and that is all there is I will eat it- but I will not return to that restaurant.

[quote name='fleckle']
the reason the public usually doesn't hear about the settlements in such cases is that a clause is routinely included as part of the settlement to prevent people from talking about it or revealing what they received.
[/quote]

So I guess that means when things quiet down around here, we can conclude that things are over and done with ..... ROFL!

[quote name='sandy1020']As we missed 2 ports and we paid port taxes (?let's assume $30.00 per person per port), is it reasonable that we pay taxes for those ports that we never got to? Therefore. we paid $120 dollars in taxes [/quote]

I wasn't on this cruise, but I have seen many times that the port charges were refunded and they totaled under $16 (US). In your calculations that has multiplied to $120??

:confused:

Folks ~ I'd like to ask all of you to read Laura's recent sticky to all Celebrity message board participants. Here's a link to it. [URL="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=358865"]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=358865[/URL]

I'd also like to ask that when posting to this thread, you keep Laura's thread in mind.

We were also on this cruise and were also extremely dissatisfied with the way Celebrity has handled the situation. So far we have called customer service to let them know and also sent an email.

We are another dissatisfied couple. Cancelling the two ports was very disappointing for us, we had especially booked to visit Seattle, Sitka, Victoria and the glacier. Three cruises with Celebrity, 6 missed ports. Both cruises were maintenance issues - Summit, May 7 and Zenith Jan 05. I consider the day in Glacier Bay and the Inside Passage as missed ports. We've cruised HAL 5 times and never missed a port.

It is nice to read posts that are on target as this issue is really about cruise ship maintenance and/or a known design flaw. As mentioned by another post, Celebrity may not be able to know when the pods will break down. Given that situation, Celebrity "hopes" that passengers will put up with the problem if they turn out to be the unlucky ones on that cruise. I really do not understand why Celebrity does not have a plan in place that allows them to provide additional compensation for those who are on the cruise that does have the breakdown. They do seem to take care of those on the next cruise that get's cancelled, but once the cruise has started you are on for the ride regardless.
I am still left wondering why the ship was unable to get close to the glacier? Was it because they had not scheduled a pilot? Was it due to the pod problem? Was it because they were late and had to get going? As another ship was at the glacier, I doubt ice flows or fog were an issue?

Griswalds

[quote name='bakcd']We are another dissatisfied couple. Cancelling the two ports was very disappointing for us, we had especially booked to visit Seattle, Sitka, Victoria and the glacier. Three cruises with Celebrity, 6 missed ports. Both cruises were maintenance issues - Summit, May 7 and Zenith Jan 05. I consider the day in Glacier Bay and the Inside Passage as missed ports. We've cruised HAL 5 times and never missed a port.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]I am still left wondering why the ship was unable to get close to the glacier? Was it because they had not scheduled a pilot? Was it due to the pod problem? Was it because they were late and had to get going? As another ship was at the glacier, I doubt ice flows or fog were an issue?
[/QUOTE]

I'm 99% sure it wasn't an issue with scheduling a pilot, as I heard people saying they saw the pilot boarding earlier in the day. I ASSUME that the main issue was the increased risk to the maneuverability of the ship in the event that the pod should go out. I'm sure that the significance of this factor was increased due to the other ship at the glacier and the ice in the water. It seems to me that they were being safe by staying away. Were they being TOO safe? Without being an expert in the mechanics of the ship, I just don't know...

This was our 3rd Alaska cruise, the first 2 were on HAL in July. Alaska weather is never predictable, however, this was the best of any of our 3 cruises. The weather at the glacier on our first trip was clear, on the 2nd trip the skys were overcast with drizzle the entire time we viewed the glacier. Yes there was a lot of ice in the water but it didn't seem to be excessive considering we were approaching the glacier.

We never managed to see the blue ice as we cruised the Inside Passage. It was visible on previous trips. Perhaps we were to far south as we cruised the passage.

Although we were extremely disappointed, we did not attend the first meeting nor did we watch it on tv. It was only after our fleeting glance at the glacier that we began to join in the meetings. This was much more than 2 missed ports for us. We are waiting to hear Celebrity's final response. At that point we will decide if we hold the upcoming booking for the Infinity or cancel. Yes, we had room and board but certainly not the cruise we booked.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

We were on this crippled vessel. Here is our story.

May 7th: Soon after leaving Los Angeles we felt a disturbing serious vibration in the dining room. We had early dining at table 449. This indicated a serious problem with the propulsion system on the Summit. It became the topic of discussion during dinner and everyone in the vicinity of our table appeared to be talking about it.

May 8th: On our first day at sea, the Captain, made an announcement that we would get to San Francisco 8 hours early because the vibration needed to be inspected.

May 9th: San Francisco was beautiful and we had a great time. After leaving the port of San Francisco a couple hours late, we felt another vibration, once again agreeing with others that this was not a normal sound or feeling.

May 10th: It was on our second scheduled sea day around noon that the Captain made a startling announcement; there was a problem with the starboard thrust bearing and we had to reduce our speed from the normal cruising speed of 22.5 knots to 17.5 knots. We would miss the ports of Seattle and Sitka and would reduce time in some ports to allow us to get to as many other ports as possible. He assured our safety was not an issue and Lloyds of London inspected the ship and it is sea worthy ("We have had our inspection, and the ship is safe to travel in") and that Celebrity was giving each stateroom a $200 onboard shipboard credit as a goodwill gesture. This was very distressful news as we had plans to meet friends we have not seen in 15 years in Seattle and now had no way to inform them that we were not going to be coming.

Later, he announced he would meet with passengers who had questions in the atrium, in the Celebrity Theatre, as there were far too many people with questions and complaints. There was a lot of confusion. When the Captain was asked if he knew about the ship problems while we were in San Francisco, his answer was “I would not insult your intelligence and tell you no”. Someone got up and asked for a show of hands how many people though they should get a full refund, the Captain raised his hand with the majority. This is all on videotape. This meeting started about 1:00 PM PST. That same day, at 9:16 AM PST South Florida Business Journal posted it; Celebrity will dry-dock Summit and cancel the May 20th cruise to Alaska. Passengers will be given a full refund AND a FREE CRUISE!! We did not find out about this until the next day. Over 1000 passengers are in favor of a full refund (as evidenced by a signed petition) and the Captain is as well. The result of the meeting was that Celebrity would send 2 Customer Service Representatives to meet the ship in Ketchikan.

May 11th: The day we were scheduled to arrive in Seattle became a sea day. I did stress a little not knowing if our friends got the message the concierge allowed us to leave for them. Worst case they went to the pier and saw the ship had not come and had to figure something was wrong.

May 12th: The following day was also a sea day.

May 13th: The Customer Service people met the ship in Ketchikan. They were not the problem solvers everyone expected, but were sent from the home office to take notes. They decided to meet individually with passengers instead of in a group. We left Ketchikan 2 hours early after a beautiful day walking around and shopping. Our friends left a message on my cell phone they got our message.

May 14th: We arrived in Juneau late. Went whale watching (saw Humpback and Orcas) and took a helicopter to Mendenhall Glacier where we got to stomp around for an hour. What a day to remember.

May 15th: In Skagway we arrived late. We toured the city on our own, and shopped most of the day.

May 16th: We were very much looking forward to cruising by the Hubbard Glacier. The original schedule was from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. We arrived late 11:00 AM and were told we would leave at 2:00 PM (1 hour less than the original schedule). We approached Hubbard Glacier at a snail's pace. We waited for a pilot and then entered the bay. We were also told we couldn't stay long because we needed the time to get to Victoria on time. This would have been the highlight of this cruise. Instead, we only got to the mouth of the bay, staying about 5 miles away while watching another ship (Holland America’s Vaandam) get close and sail back and forth for the best views. We were expecting our ship to do the same but the local Indians told us over the PA system because there was another ship in the Bay we could not go any further. The Captain made no announcements and the ship did not wait but 5 minutes abruptly changed course and sailed back out before 2:00 PM (they may as well just given us a postcard of the glacier, for all we saw). We do not understand why we could not wait until the Vaandam left the Bay so that we could have that experience! The Captain or Celebrity had to know the schedules of the other ships as the Mercury was just leaving as we were coming in. This is and was “the straw that broke the Camels back” for us.

We joined several other cruisers that cruise to Alaska every year on “Cruise Critic” and we were told that this ship has never “been so far away” from the glacier as we were this trip. It is my belief the reason we did not approach any closer to the glacier was the Captain did not feel he could fully manage our partially disabled vessel. We felt the real reason for not fulfilling this part of our agreement, should have been explained by the Captain.

May 17th: Another sea day, originally scheduled to be in Sitka.

May 18th: On the morning of the Inside Passage I was up at 6:00 AM and we were not moving. The newspaper for the day told us all the glories of the 1000 miles of inside passage. We didn’t move for over 9 hours that day. (Remember we left the Glacier early?)

An announcement was made that we were going to wait for the fog to lift and a pilot to come aboard before we could continue and that any delay would not affect our arrival in Victoria. (How could it, we were only 200 miles from there.) The fog lifted, but we were still dead in the water. I overheard the Captain forgot to order their pilot to bring us down the inside passage and he could not get there until 5:00 PM. By the time we finished dinner there was only about 90 minutes of fading daylight for us to enjoy the beauty and tonight’s show was in less than 60 minutes. We couldn’t go to Sitka, but we could sit dead in the water for 9 hours? I know we only saw 200 miles of it 150 miles in the dark.

May 19th: After Victoria we received a letter from the Captain apologizing for the Hubbard Glacier experience not meeting all our expectations and for the delayed arrival in the Inside Passage. It said we will be getting a letter from Celebrity with a Future Cruise Credit for 30% off a future Celebrity cruise, redeemable within the next 18 months “off the brochure price”.

May 20th: Arrived in Vancouver. On other cruises, we hate to leave the ship. On this cruise, we were ready!

Hope you understand our disapproval at losing Seattle, Sitka, Hubbard Glacier, Inside Passage, and losing an additional 7 hours at the remaining ports. What are the highlights of a cruise to Alaska? More ports than sea days, the Hubbard Glacier and a 1000-mile journey down the Inside Passage with wildlife and waterfalls. Spotting Whales and Orcas all from our balcony. Alaskan Cruises are about PORTS not SEA DAYS. How much time are you going to spend near the pool sailing the North Pacific in May? It was not humorous seeing people on lounge chairs around the pool dressed liked Eskimos.

As shareholders in RCCL we are not comfortable with the actions from what we believe came from the Corporate Office and the Ships Staff was forced to comply. We have read about this problem on all the Millennium Class Ships and we believe that it was the suspected problem in San Pedro and the Company Engineers confirmed it in the wee hours of the morning in San Francisco and could have and should have been passed onto the passengers before we left port.

If I had been given the choice of disembarking in San Francisco and taking another cruise, I would have if Celebrity had been honest about what they had intended for us at Hubbard Glacier and the Inside Passage. I could have saved my vacation time and used it later this year. I spent hours researching as much as I could so that we would have the best experience possible. Celebrity or the parent Royal Caribbean’s corporate treatment of customers needs a serious overhaul. Celebrity should be prepared to step up to the plate and take care of the customers who paid full price for the cruise and through no fault of the weather or a totally unexpected mechanical problem were shortchanged.

We cruised on the Summit two years ago from Fort Lauderdale, FL through the Panama Canal and on to San Diego, CA (14 days) and again last year round trip to and from Fort Lauderdale, FL (10 days). We never felt any sort of vibration during these trips.

We were big fans of Celebrity (especially the Summit) before this cruise. Those of us who have love cruising with them know very well how wonderful "The Celebrity Treatment" can be. Unfortunately, we did not receive it on this cruise by the powers to be. We know we "signed the contract," but the entire nature of the cruise was changed for almost its full duration, due entirely to the shortcomings of the ship, not because of weather, port problems, etc.

The crew was wonderful, warm people in 99.9% of our encounters. We are truly disappointed and disenchanted with Celebrity (RCCL) management and felt they misrepresented themselves in many ways. I was upset we lost ports, time at ports but was most astounded by the lack of true customer service (corporate). At all times, I spoke respectfully to personnel on the ship. I am sad to have lost part of our dream trip, but what happened cannot be changed. We do not feel that corporate has treated us, their customer in a fair manner. We did make the very best of our cruise. We were fortunate to meet wonderful people, Alaska, San Francisco and Canada were all beautiful, and we had great excursions. I don't know when we will be able to do another cruise to Alaska I'm hoping we will, but not anytime in the near future.

We also notice we could only turn to starboard. We were tugged into dock in SF. We turned to starboard inside the glacier, not to port to get a better view. In Victoria, backing away from the dock, we made a complete circle to the starboard to head to Vancouver.

Celebrity already received $38M from Alston and is suing Rolls Royce over this pod issue. Celebrity will get whatever compensation it can from Rolls Royce, and they will NOT pass that onto passengers affected. That is the way business works. These are recurring mechanical problems and not the same as missed ports because of weather.

The Captain tried to divert attention from their failure to deliver their advertised product by constantly emphasizing that our safety was their most important concern. His occasional public address updates that no additional metal shavings were found did nothing for us mentally.

The waits were long to meet with the customer service representatives and when we found time to talk to them we were told that today was reserved for the foreign speaking passengers. If they worked 24 hours a day (they worked approximately 6-8 hours) they could not have spoken to all of the passengers.

All the meetings held on board were PEACEFUL and democratic. Upward of 800 people crowded the Grand Foyer on 3 decks to show support. Only a few passengers tried to overplay things that happened on the ship that had nothing to do with why we were there. The two gentlemen that did the majority of the speaking were very professional and very courteous.

I certainly didn't hear ANY reports of anybody stiffing cabin stewards and waiters. In fact, I heard a huge outpouring of support for these hardworking folks. The two speakers made a point of telling the crowd that the “staff” and “servers” were deserving of our loyalty. They also made a point of giving kudo’s to the Guest Relations personnel who had to deal with so many unhappy passengers. I would be DISMAYED to hear that anybody disgruntled or otherwise, had done this...

I thought that the 2-hour "open bar" they provided, was also very unfortunate for the bar staff. These servers had to work harder than at any other point in the cruise, and I think that some of the passengers were showing their appreciation with cash tips. I had mine, but each time, I gave a buck or two in tip. I believe they should have given each passenger some coupons for free drinks that could be used at any time (like they did for us “Texas Hold-Em” players) rather than ALL within a two-hour window.

For many of the passengers who had come from distant countries throughout the world, this was an once-in-a-lifetime Alaskan cruise including my parents who traveled with us.

This problem is unique to the Celebrity and in particular the Millennium class ships. This is a well-known pre-existing expected problem that is historically occurring on an annual basis. They should have a set (and fair) policy in place so that there would be no argument or reason for any other distress. The proposed settlement will cost them next to nothing.

We all know that $200.00 in shipboard credit did not actually cost them $200.00. How many people actually will be able to use the 30% FCC on a cruise within 18 months? The demographics of any cruise are probably the same in that you will find people who are cruising for the first and only time to Alaska, others that are able to afford one cruise every year don’t want to repeat itineraries. As such the discount is meaningless to a great percentage of the passengers and Celebrity already knows that.

Bottom line is Celebrity is really not giving up very much for this less than perfect cruise.

My Infinity cruise was cancelled several years because of this (about one week before departure). All passengers got refunds and it wasn't until our TA harassed them that we got a free cruise for the same week. Went on the Voyager. Had to downgrade to inside cabins and pay for airfare. I would have been fine just rebooking on a different ship, but they went out of their way.

I go on any cruise knowing that the itinerary could change and do not expect anything in return. I recently sailed on the Dawn Princess when it was having mechanical issues and had 2 ports cancelled and 2 others shortened on a southern Caribbean itinerary. We got $200 OBC and everyone was pleased.

I think that the people on the QM2 set a bad precedence. Now anytime anything goes wrong, people are going to expect a full refund. This case, as in their case, I do not see why this is merited. As a stockholder, I would be upset if they had given a full refund. You might argue that the people who missed their cruise got a full refund, but they truly are the ones who get screwed. They get nothing. You guys still had you 13 or 14 night cruise. That has got to count for something.

At no time have I ever claimed we were entitled to a free cruise.

But those who were on this cruise and have no further plans of ever cruising again due to health (As are my parents) a 30% FCC is meaningless. And 30% off a brochure priced cruise is worth very little. Anyone with any cruising experience knows this. Prior to sailing on this ship Celebrity discounted balcony's as low as $1299 per person! That's a heck of a discount (24%) off the brochure price of $1699 per person.

As a shareholder I am a firm believer in keeping your customer happy. You know the old adage "The customer is always right"? And I am not saying a free cruise is right, but the way it was all handled was defiantly not right.

See post 832. [url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=6789171&postcount=832[/url]

Our FCC amounted to an upgrade from a 2A Balcony to a CC Balcony exactly 50% more after all the discounting.

Please note that next years CC price is already priced lower than the group priced we received on this years cruise.

So I do believe passengers are entitled to refunds (what amount I don't know) and not FCC's or at least given a choice.

We also notice we could only turn to starboard. We were tugged into dock in SF.

We have always been tugged into the pier in San Francisco. Maybe it has to do with the tight turn into the pier, union requirements or tidal concerns.

Based on what I am reading, the mechanical condition of the ship when it left home port was such that there never was a chance that they would get close to the glacier. Interesting situation.

As well I am interested in the comment that some "natives" said over the PA said that you could not go any closer? This was an earlier comment on one of the more recent posts. What group would this have been? Last year when we cruised hubbard we did not notice such a group, but that may have just been an oversight on our part.

Griswalds

[quote name='nmtraveler']We also notice we could only turn to starboard. We were tugged into dock in SF.

We have always been tugged into the pier in San Francisco. Maybe it has to do with the tight turn into the pier, union requirements or tidal concerns.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='bakcd']This was our 3rd Alaska cruise, the first 2 were on HAL in July. Alaska weather is never predictable, however, this was the best of any of our 3 cruises. The weather at the glacier on our first trip was clear, on the 2nd trip the skys were overcast with drizzle the entire time we viewed the glacier. Yes there was a lot of ice in the water but it didn't seem to be excessive considering we were approaching the glacier.

We never managed to see the blue ice as we cruised the Inside Passage. It was visible on previous trips. Perhaps we were to far south as we cruised the passage.

Although we were extremely disappointed, we did not attend the first meeting nor did we watch it on tv. It was only after our fleeting glance at the glacier that we began to join in the meetings. This was much more than 2 missed ports for us. We are waiting to hear Celebrity's final response. At that point we will decide if we hold the upcoming booking for the Infinity or cancel. Yes, we had room and board but certainly not the cruise we booked.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.[/QUOTE]
Bakcd: I talked to Celebrity Customer Service, in Miami, today and the person that I talked to said "the 30% off coupon was the final compensation offer". The Celebrity office in the UK, however has said that the compensation is still being looked into. This may be due to the difference in consumer protection laws in the UK. In the UK the law states that any consumer should receive what they pay for.

I wonder if that is 30% off the rate I already agreed to or the full price of our upcoming cruise. Regardless of what others think, we do not expect a free crusie. However, we do not feel that $200 per stateroom ($100 per person in our case) was unfair compensation. I guess it depends on how you look at ports. We did not get off the ship at the glacier or the inside passage but they were advertised as special days rather than as "at sea". We were unable to enjoy them probably due to maintenance issues.

I would hate to think I faced two weeks at sea rather than making the ports in Hawaii for one reason or another. We can visit the Hale Koa including airfare for what our next cruise will cost. By continuing to book with Celebrity, then we give them permission to treat me in this manner. Perhaps it is time to consider spending our vacation dollars on something other than cruises. Celebrity must not need our bookings of 24 days per year.

As stated earlier, I will wait until I receive the coupon in the mail to cancel.

No, we've heard nothing concerning the lawsuit. I do not think anyone expected to be notified on Cruise Critic. The question was whether anyone has had an communications concerning such.

[quote name='Lotsacruising']Has anyone heard from the Attorney in Miami regarding the class action lawsuite?
I was wondering when we will be notified of what is going on[/quote]I thought you said you already had an attorney? Class action status would have to be granted for a case that has been filed (the attorney would ask the courts to make the case a class action case, then they can solicite members for the 'class'.

I was wondering if anyone has heard or seen anything re: the 30% coupon.

There is a rumor that these are transferable can be sold on e-bay. Others say they can't be sold but can be used by any holder, regardless of who the original pax was the earn the coupon.

Anyone got one yet. If so, can you scan it and post it?

Archived