Platinum question

Do you have to book through Royal Caribbean to get the balcony discount? Does it have to be a 7 day cruise?

I got the balcony discount off a 4-night Monarch cruise, as a Platinum ... however I booked it through RCI. On the other hand, I also received the Platinum balcony discount for a 7-night cruise, I booked through a TA. I don't believe it matters as to the length, but the discounts seem to be something you have to ask for, as the TA loses revenue, and I've heard that some TAs won't cooperate w/ discounting. Again, it was not a problem for me. Good luck!

Doesn't matter who you book through... and the discounts are as follows...

3-5 night sailing- $50

6-8 night sailing- $100

9 or more night sailing- $150 and that is per stateroom not per person even if both occupants are Platinum.

~Jen

3-5 night sailing- $50

6-8 night sailing- $100

9 or more night sailing- $150 and that is per stateroom not per person even if both occupants are Platinum.

~Jen

I am a Platinum. We got $100 per person off for a cruise of 11 nights on the Empress in a balcony cabin in 2004. ($200 total for a balcony cabin)

Mistake on Diamond. Erased it.

I'm pretty certain that for 9 nights and longer it is actually $200 per stateroom. So if you split up a couple who each have platinum status into two cabins and they are travelling with others who are not platinum... each cabin will get the $200. discount.

That's how it worked for us, anyway.

A~

3-5 night sailing- $50

6-8 night sailing- $100

~Jen

9 nights or more for platinum is $200

I am a Platinum. We got $100 per person off for a cruise of 11 nights on the Empress in a balcony cabin in 2004. ($200 total for a balcony cabin)

We're Diamond and just booked a D1 balcony for two 7 day b2b's on the Liberty of the Seas for Oct of 2007. We got $100 per person off for each leg of the cruise ($400 total) as well as $99 off because it was "eligible" for some other C&A discount. Not quite sure what it was. It says "MXK1-Savings" on my Booked Confirmation statement.

Tim

Is this also dependant on the room size? We are booked for a 5 night cruise and we are getting $150 off per stateroom. We are booked in a GS category.
No.

It's a "balcony" discount, and it doesn't matter what category of cabin with balcony it is. The $150 does not sound right at all for a 5-day. Are you Diamond or Platinum? Are you sure that that's not a combination of more than one discount?

No.

It's a "balcony" discount, and it doesn't matter what category of cabin with balcony it is. The $150 does not sound right at all for a 5-day. Are you Diamond or Platinum? Are you sure that that's not a combination of more than one discount?

I am platinum. My husband is considered platinum because he lives with me. I just checked my cruise details and it does say a $150 discount. I assumed we each got a $75 discount when the RCI agent first told me about the discount as I booked. She said it wasn't per person. It was just the full $150 per stateroom. That's why I figured it was room size dependent.

And at the time I asked if there was a senior citizen discount - for my husband NOT me :) - and she said no. On the first cruise we went on I noticed the senior discount come up at expedia just a few weeks before departure and I called RCI and they made the price adjustment for both me and my husband.

I don't dare call and ask them for fear they would "fix" the $150 off.

I just checked the RCI website. I can find no mention of the exact amount of what the discount should be. But under the section titled "special rates on balcony and suite staterooms" in the section on member benefits it does say this - "Discount applies on a per stateroom basis, double occupancy. Prices vary by ship and sailing dates and space is subject to availability at time of booking." It sounds like it does "vary" and since they mention balcony and suite staterooms separately I would suspect that could be a difference in discount, too.

Where does everyone find this exact amoung of discount per balcony room based on length of cruise? I can't find any mention of it at the RCI website.

The internet travel agent I use to book my cruises with would take a percentage of the balcony discount. I think it was 10%. Now I book the cruises on my own and prefer having control over my reservation.

I am platinum. My husband is considered platinum because he lives with me.

This brings up a question in my mind.... what exactly are the rules for a platinum C&A member travelling with a non C&A member? What benefits, if any, can the non-platinum guest take advantage of? I'm working on booking a cruise this Winter with a friend who's never cruised before.....

This brings up a question in my mind.... what exactly are the rules for a platinum C&A member travelling with a non C&A member? What benefits, if any, can the non-platinum guest take advantage of? I'm working on booking a cruise this Winter with a friend who's never cruised before.....

I don't know that there are any written rules. It seems like most of us around here, at least as far as I've read, believe that if someone is traveling in your cabin with you that they will get to do what you do.

For instance, I am platinum and my sister was just in my cabin on the Majesty of the Seas two weeks ago and she had never cruised before. She did not get a coupon booklet. But she did get a robe without asking and she received the Majesty logo tote bag that I also got as a welcome back gift. I was invited to the platinum and above party and took her with me, no questions asked. Yes, she drank the free wine and ate the appetizers.

I would never take anyone with me that wasn't traveling in my cabin with me even if we made our reservations together.

Last August I took my 15 and 19 year old daughters with me to the platinum and above party. They were in my cabin. We received 2 gifts in the room, not 3. The 19 year old is still a gold member and received the gold discount booklet while I received the platinum booklet.

Archived