Another Significant Hurricane Season! (Origin HAL Forum)

jhannah

The decision to pull ships from the Caribbean during this season were well founded. It appears that another significant hurricane season is in the cards.

“NOAA is predicting 13 to 16 named storms, with eight to 10 becoming hurricanes, of which four to six could become 'major' hurricanes of Category 3 strength or higher,” said Conrad Lautenbacher, administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

My fervent prayer is that these storms will track more to the east this year so you good CC folks in Florida and along the coast will be spared significant damage.

Hey jhannah,

I always enjoy your posts - very informative. Could you please direct me to further information about the decision to pull ships from the Caribbean this season? Would be curious to know which ships and which itineraries. Thanks.

I don't know where to direct you. There has been discussion on this forum about it. And HAL has taken their ships out of the Caribbean and repositioned them to Alaska or other places until fall. A search of Caribbean itineraries on a cruise booking website will probably give you the options that remain. (It's not been a 100% pullout.)

When you live in Fl, every hurricane season is significant !!
No doubt!

Thanks Jim for the speedy reply. I did search the HAL site to discover exactly what you said. For the past 2 years, my family has taken a reunion cruise during June on the Zuiderdam. This year we decided to pass, so wasn't aware of the changes. When was the last HAL cruise to the caribbean this season? 2004 was smooth sailing for our cruise, but 2005 had to bypass Key West, as it was just too rough. I went through Hurricane Faith in 1966 on HAL's Seven Seas. I'm really glad now that I was too young to really understand the danger. My brother and his family live in Florida and know all too well the danger. I join you in your prayers to have the storms track eastward to dissipate over open waters.

It only takes one. Hurricane Andrew hit during a very mild hurricane season. So it's not how many ... it's how many make land.

These bad seasons are going to last for the next 10 to 20 years. What everyone has to do is prepare and take responsibility. Not enough people do that.

And so we hope and we pray. The rest is left to the "stars".

Hi Heather! As another CC'er living in south Florida, this is just what we didn't want to hear! Please, please go away hurricanes! We have had 3 direct hits on our house in less than 2 years (but have been very fortunate with minor damages) and we need a break! And our house is for sale (has nothing to do with hurricanes - have to move to GA for health insurance reasons) - if we get hit again, NO one will be moving to Florida! :mad: Please pray for a harmless hurricane season for ALL of us! (Did y'all see that article in the newspaper a couple of days ago that northeast USA is due for a big one? - Scarey - we are at least as prepared as we can be - up north they aren't prepared at all!) Smooth seas to all of you!

We sailed during one of the hurricanes two years ago. The ships are required to stay 300 miles away from hurricanes. Therefore, we had wonderful weather and calm seas; while unfortunately most of Florida was being destroyed. Our 7 day cruise did turn into a 10 day cruise. But everything on board stayed the same. We had added shows and the food lasted;). Only on the last two days did we notice the menus were being cut back. They also opened up the Internet and telephones (and I might add complimentary). Of course this was on a Princess cruise. Do not know how HAL handled it. But Princess did treat us very well. I did feel sorry for the folks who had air arrangements and jobs and children. So frustrating for them and of course the people who lived in the hard struck areas. Fortunately, for us; we do not work or have children. So no hurry for us to get back home.

We sailed during one of the hurricanes two years ago. The ships are required to stay 300 miles away from hurricanes. Therefore, we had wonderful weather and calm seas; while unfortunately most of Florida was being destroyed. Our 7 day cruise did turn into a 10 day cruise. But everything on board stayed the same. We had added shows and the food lasted;). Only on the last two days did we notice the menus were being cut back. They also opened up the Internet and telephones (and I might add complimentary). Of course this was on a Princess cruise. Do not know how HAL handled it. But Princess did treat us very well. I did feel sorry for the folks who had air arrangements and jobs and children. So frustrating for them and of course the people who lived in the hard struck areas. Fortunately, for us; we do not work or have children. So no hurry for us to get back home.

I can't think of a better place to ride out a hurricane - seems that everyone we heard from during the hurricanes that year was well taken care of (at least until they returned home...)

This year we decided to pass, so wasn't aware of the changes. When was the last HAL cruise to the caribbean this season?

Winher........ All HAL ships left the Caribbean at mid April and will not return until mid October. I think it is the same for 2007.

We here in New England have been warned the weather patterns are such that 'if history repeats', we are so way overdue for a bad hurricane and that we should be paying close attention this season. As if we wouldn't anyway!!!!

Hi everyone,

I live in St. petersburg, Fl. Hurricaine season is stressful for everyone. I wish everyone a safe and destruction free season. I am not afraid to cruise during hurricaine season, I am afraid to leave my home and family during a hurricaine.

But,,, I have booked a 7night Veendam sailing out of Tampa, on Nov 11. I thought by then I would need some R&R after the season.

Heather, I love your Bichon!!!!

Happy cruising,

Susan

Boomer, hey!!! No fair!!! That's MY Molly!!!:D

You've got it all wrong. Both of you have the grown up version of my 12-week-old Chewy! (Confined here to keep him away from the bride at my niece's wedding reception.)

Robin

chewy.jpg

That Chewy is too cute! The look on his face just spells t-r-o-u-b-l-e (as in what can I get into now?)

Thanks! He certainly is trouble with a capital T that rhymes with P that stands for....well, you know. Heh.

And since I don't want to completely hijack the thread, I wanted to say that I have good friends in both Tampa and Orlando and if I could, I would grant ALL of you Floridians a hurricane-free season.

Robin

We are on the barrier island between the ICW and ocean. Obviously, we have to git going when a 'cane is imminent. Actually, we evacuate way before needed because A1A is turned into an evacuation route and it will be clogged with traffic.

Just a heads up for anyone who is thinking of leaving....remember your passports and travelers checks, along with any paperwork for future cruises, checkbooks, address books, etc. I know you all have a agenda for readiness, but these are a few things I just happened to think of that normally I might pass over. God bless everyone, and hope we don't need to even pack this year!

We are on the barrier island between the ICW and ocean. Obviously, we have to git going when a 'cane is imminent. Actually, we evacuate way before needed because A1A is turned into an evacuation route and it will be clogged with traffic.

Just a heads up for anyone who is thinking of leaving....remember your passports and travelers checks, along with any paperwork for future cruises, checkbooks, address books, etc. I know you all have a agenda for readiness, but these are a few things I just happened to think of that normally I might pass over. God bless everyone, and hope we don't need to even pack this year!

Esther

Robin, I'm so happy to meet Chewy!!!!:) What a cutie!!!

And to stay OT, we all have to remember to prepare for our pets during this hurricane season, too. It's very stressful for them, too.

I always figure Expect the Worst and Hope for the Best. It's out of our hands and we can only be ready.

That was NOT the forecast we wanted to hear!

We're doing the Noordam transatlantic this fall and will be between the Azores, Bermuda and NYC between Oct 8 & 14! We have our fingers crossed in hope that we will be able to visit Bermuda during the latter part of hurricane season!

This does not in any way diminish our greater hope that those who live in "hurricane alley" will be spared a repeat of last year.

Archived