Booking on board - Confused

I wonder if anyone can clarify this for me. We were on the Majesty in April and met with the Loyalty Ambassador. We wanted to book a Panama Canal cruise for October 07 but the schedules were not released yet. She told us to book any cruise and then we could transfer the booking when the new schedules were out. It sounded so easy. We booked a three day Sovereign for Oct 06. Now we have booked the Serendade for Oct 07 and were told that we would only receive the $50 on board credit since that was the amount from the original booking. RCCL said that whatever the credit is upon booking is the credit that we will receive no matter what we transfer to. Can this be true? If so, what would stop someone from booking a 14 day cruise on board and then switching to a three day - would they still receive the $200 on board credit:rolleyes:

Has anyone experienced this? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

No,that is not true..........the shipboard credit can and will decrease/increase depending on how long a cruise.......

We booked a 3 nighter earlier this month while on the Explorer.........we changed it to a 7 nighter last week.........and our credit went up from $50 to $100.........

Are you working with a TA or RCCL???I think someone doesnt know what they are talking abut..

We booked through a TA, but when she told us that, we called Crown and Anchor and they told us the same thing. I think I may call back and talk to someone else.

Thanks for the reply

Lori

We booked through a TA, but when she told us that, we called Crown and Anchor and they told us the same thing. I think I may call back and talk to someone else.

Thanks for the reply

Lori

I hate it when I see cruisers getting told something that is not right....this is yet another reason we will no longer book through ANY TA. She's either not in, or forgets to call us....we have to remind HER about certain things, like whenever there's a discount (other TA's will notify their clients). To me, a TA is nothing but a middleman, and if you spot a deal on a great cabin, you can forget about it if she's off that day.

Yeah, book DIRECT with RCL - they know the FACTS. Some of these TA's don't have a clue, but maybe in your case, C&A is right, who knows? Call someone else, like you said. You never know.....it's happened to us before.

If I read the OP thread correctly......RCCL told them this, not the ta.........although a well versed ta should know this isn't the case. You are dealing with a call center when your ta calls RC..........you just keep calling back until you get a call center rep that knows.........if that doesn't work, have your ta ask to speak to a supervisor. Of course your deposit would change........and I am assuming you also paid the increase in deposit.

Good luck

Hello! Let us know what happens. I too was told that the amount would ve adjusted. Sometimes is just takes contacting the right person. Good Luck!

I haven't seen you on our Panama Canal Board. Are you on the Radiance on Oct. 7? If so come on over and join our board. We have a great group!

If I read the OP thread correctly......RCCL told them this, not the ta......

I do believe her TA told her first,thats why she called RCCL........

We booked through a TA, but when she told us that, we called Crown and Anchor and they told us the same thing.

Yeah, book DIRECT with RCL - they know the FACTS. Some of these TA's don't have a clue, but maybe in your case, C&A is right, who knows? Call someone else, like you said. You never know.....it's happened to us before.

Then perhaps you can explain the other thread which questions why they can't seem to get a consistently correct answer to their questions when they call RCI customer service. There are perhaps as many less than competent CS reps as there are less than competent TAs. If your TA isn't up to the job, don't give up on TAs, find one that knows their business. Calling RCI leaves you subject to the odds as to whether or not you will get the FACTS.

But C&A told her the same thing has the TA. I can see why she is so confused. :confused:

We are thinking about booking a family vacation while on board in September. We might have to wiggle the reservation around because we hope to make this a Christmas gift to the kids, so I’m very interested to hear how this turns out.

Then perhaps you can explain the other thread which questions why they can't seem to get a consistently correct answer to their questions when they call RCI customer service. There are perhaps as many less than competent CS reps as there are less than competent TAs. If your TA isn't up to the job, don't give up on TAs, find one that knows their business. Calling RCI leaves you subject to the odds as to whether or not you will get the FACTS.

That's an interesting point, thanks for bringing it up. I've seen inconsistencies on the RCL side as well, 'tis true.

However, MY main issue with TA's is this: only your agent can take care of you. Now, supposing you have a nice cabin you'd like, but your TA is off that day. The following business day, she may be around - but that cabin you wanted is SOLD to someone else.

That's the primary reason we're booking with RCL direct from now on. You can reach them a lot easier, and there isn't one single person that can only take care of you.

I use a TA and when she is not there the others in the office are more than happy to help with any time sensitive issue like you described. I guess it is good to use not just a good TA, but a good office as well.

That's an interesting point, thanks for bringing it up. I've seen inconsistencies on the RCL side as well, 'tis true.

However, MY main issue with TA's is this: only your agent can take care of you. Now, supposing you have a nice cabin you'd like, but your TA is off that day. The following business day, she may be around - but that cabin you wanted is SOLD to someone else.

That's the primary reason we're booking with RCL direct from now on. You can reach them a lot easier, and there isn't one single person that can only take care of you.

In my TA's office, anyone there can handle your situation if she is not there when you call. Besides all of her clients have her cellphone number and can reach her 24/7. It all boils down to finding a good TA. They are out there. It may take some effort to find them but when you do, the rewards are priceless.

While on the Empress in April I booked two cruises that were not open for booking yet. They were respositioning cruises and we knew one was 8 days and the other 9 days. The Loyalty Ambassador booked other cruises, one 8 and one 9 to get us the reservation numbers. When I called RCI when they opened for booking, all I did was give the reservation numbers and they were switched over, the 8 day with $100 onboard credit and the 9 day with a $200 onboard credit. I don't know if it made a difference that the LA made sure the cruises were the same lengths as the ones we planned on booking. I also dealt with the Diamond Plus desk directly, no ta involved. Hopefully someone at the C&A can straighten it out for you.

We finally got this straightened out. I guess it was more complicated than originally thought. This is what DH told me.

OnBoard Majesty, booked Sovereign for Oct 06

After we got home, we thought we would see if we could make it to Platinum before the Panama Canal cruise for 07 so......

After the new schedules came out, instructed our TA as follows:

Transfer the Sovereign booking to the Serenade on Oct 27

Rebook the Sovereign for the same date.

Book a B2B on the Majesty for April 07

This would give us the necessary 5 credits.

TA mistakenly switched original booking to Majesty instead of Serenade

Called RCCL to correct and was told the booking credit would not transfer. We called Crown and Anchor to confirm and was told the same thing. Explained the situation and that the Loyalty Ambassor told us differently. Called back now and this is what they told us. Basically apologized for the confusion, left the $50 onboard credit for the Majesty AND gave us the $200 onboard credit for the Serenade.

This makes me really sound like the cruise-a-holic than I have become. I will say that on the occasions that we have gotten incorrect information from the Crown and Anchor reps, they have always been very polite and problems have been resolved to our satisfaction.:)

I think we will leave the TA out of the equation in the future.

Thanks for all of the advice!

Lori

"I think we will leave the TA out of the equation in the future."

Probably a good decision! For the clueless first or second time cruiser, a TA might be helpful.

When you near or reach platinum or diamond levels, however, it makes sense to book directly with RCCL.

"I think we will leave the TA out of the equation in the future."

Probably a good decision! For the clueless first or second time cruiser, a TA might be helpful.

When you near or reach platinum or diamond levels, however, it makes sense to book directly with RCCL.

I disagree and believe that a good TA offers as many advantages to veteran cruisers as to newcomers. :) If you are only interested in finding an order-taker, then you are probably correct. However, if you realize that there can be more to booking the right cruise, than merely indicating the ship, date and type of stateroom, an good, experienced travel agent can be a godsend.

I agree that a good TA can add value in certain cases. DH and I are both pretty anal and know exactly what we want so were only using her as an order taker. She is a client of my husbands so just trying to earn points for his buisness. IMHO it took away too much control.

I disagree and believe that a good TA offers as many advantages to veteran cruisers as to newcomers. :) If you are only interested in finding an order-taker, then you are probably correct. However, if you realize that there can be more to booking the right cruise, than merely indicating the ship, date and type of stateroom, an good, experienced travel agent can be a godsend.

Perhaps... but I would rather have direct and immediate access to RCCL. Frankly, I feel a lot more comfortable doing my own research, checking itineraries and prices and then booking directly. For those who need the help of a TA, o.k.. My guess, however, is that the TA is a near extinct species as internet awareness continues to grow. JMHO:)

Archived