QM2 November 18th 2006

legospice

BY THE WAY -

For all of you CC-ers in the UK:

Three cheers and I will hoist a beer for MI5, Scotland Yard, and all of the other fine folks who have allowed us to rest easier, thanks to their vigilance in this current (and other) operation(s).

Some days, Lockerbie doesn't seem so very long ago ...

- Spike

Please excuse my barging in - I'm usually a Royal Carib cruiser - and enjoyed the transatlantic on the Jewel this past May so much we were going to do another - BUT

Can anyone use these one way tickets to London for this cruise?

I have two one way tickets to London via Virgin Air from any of 8 cities in the US -transferable to any name - my cabin mate's husband has been diagnosed with a serious cancer :( so we've had to cancel...

The air tickets are good from now until March 31 2007 and come to between $350 to $375 including taxes and fuel and depending on which city one leaves from. (unless they raise fuel and security charges now) I checked Virgin Air's regular price for one way which is $813 - so it's a good deal .:)

Know anyone who can use them to get to London for this cruise? If so e mail me at "Mary_Sunshine_80@ yahoo.com"

Lisa -

Unfortunately, I've already purchased my tickets ... and on Virgin, too! :-(

If you haven't already, try posting a new thread in the top of the Cunard board ... I would bet there are folks who would like to purchase them. (Although you may want to check with the mods and see if that sort of post is restricted ... haven't really memorized all of the posting regs here yet ...)

- Spike

Was just looking back at this thread, and noting how many of the recent posts are mine ... it's beginning to look like I have nothing better to do!

Oh, bother! Now I've gone and made it worse!

Quick, some of you others post a comment or question and make me look less of a CC addict!

- Spike

Hey, all!

I ran across another couple of folks (on another thread) who will be on the November 18 crossing with us, so I expect as the date approaches, we'll see a few more faces here on this thread.

Hope everyone is doing well!

(Passports came last week ... tuxedo is at the tailors!)

- Spike

Hi Spike,

Wish i could see your wifes face when all is revealed. The only surprises i get are "surprise, you are working a double shift tomorrow".

With all this airport chaos going on over here i am wondering about maybe taking the train or bus to make sure i get to southampton on time. its a long time out but train fares are rocketing already, might put a back up plan in place. And i will have to rethink the packing with restrictions on hand luggage as well.

I had a little book that i was jotting things down on about the QM2 but i cant find now and im lost without it. Suppose i will just have to look around the boards again and find all the tips and tricks.

Got a specials email from cunard and they are still trying hard to sell this cruise, so maybe some upgrades will come our way.

Donna

Spike, as suggested, just dropped by to say hello! We are Sue & David from the U.K., and we booked the 15 days. Done many transatlantics but never on the QM2, can't wait! We live about an hours drive from Southampton, so getting there is a breeze for us. Just read on the other thread that Rob is now joining us as well. (hope the weather is good or he might throw me overboard) Looking forward to chatting to you all before we meet in November.

Sue.

Welcome, Sue!

Speaking strictly for myself, I'm sure I will continue to make regular appearances here between now & November. Still so much to discuss ... and soon my wife will be along to chime-in!

Looking forward to getting to know everyone a bit more ...

- Spike

Donna -

An upgrade or two would be *great*!

(Still hoping I can cajole the relatives into doing their Christmas shopping with Cunard ... which will translate into more spa-time for the missus!)

By the way, my new tux now fits like a glove ... and starting tomorrow, I will begin a carefully orchestrated "multi-stage" unveiling of the plan to my wife.

I'll keep you all posted!

- Spike

Welcome Sue and David,

Nice to have you onboard. Must be so nice to stay so near to the port, no hassels of getting there or how you are going to carry the luggage. Heaven!!

I sailed transatlantic from Lisbon once in November and the Atlantic was like a sheet of glass, so calm, so nice. The bit im dreading is the Bay of Biscay, ive heard so many sailors tell the horror stories of how bad it gets, but maybe they were just trying to scare me. I dont mind a bit of rocking and rolling just as long as it doesnt make me spill my cocktail.

Spike- nice to hear your tux is perfect, god, you men have it so easy, sling on a tux and you look stunning in that James Bond/George Clooney type way, us girls, well not so easy, the dress can not make your butt look big, but at the same time it has to make other parts look bigger than they really are, then the shoes have to be stunning but you have to be able to walk in them ( this is when i add alcohol, it kills the pain and makes you walk straight) and dont even get me started on the purse!!!! Oh the packing panic has set in again, time for a glass of wine me thinks!!

Speak soon

Donna

Me again,

Forgot to say i was having a look at the Canyon Ranch website and i have decided im def going to get the 5 day spa pass ($79), the steam rooms, t-pool and ice fountain sound so good.

They also have a list of all the massages etc that they do, there is one that i fancy where the person doing it swings from a bar and massages your back with their feet, it sounds a weird but i think i might give it a go.

Donna

BY THE WAY EVERYONE!

I have "begun the process" of letting my darling wife in on the plan ... not everything (yet) ... I plan on drawing this out ... but rather than give you my second-hand account, I'm going to try and coax her in here to share the story with you in-person ... so hopefully Tuesday or so you'll get to "meet" her as well! (She's out of town over the weekend ...)

- Spike

Welcome Sue and David,

I dont mind a bit of rocking and rolling just as long as it doesnt make me spill my cocktail.

Spike- nice to hear your tux is perfect, god, you men have it so easy, sling on a tux and you look stunning in that James Bond/George Clooney type way, us girls, well not so easy, the dress can not make your butt look big, but at the same time it has to make other parts look bigger than they really are, then the shoes have to be stunning but you have to be able to walk in them ( this is when i add alcohol, it kills the pain and makes you walk straight) and dont even get me started on the purse!!!! Oh the packing panic has set in again, time for a glass of wine me thinks!!

Speak soon

Donna

Donna,

My sympathies exactly!

BYTW, Just like beer and bowling, (I always think I bowl better after a few beers) the alcohol doeesn't make you walk straight. It simply ameliorates whatever back and forth motion you have (from too-tight shoes to ship rolling) by creating a counteraction, which evens it out! The ship (or tight shoes) make you weave left- The alcohol makes you weave right. Hence a perfect straight line!

Or else it just looks that way to the imbiber!

Karie,

Who believes in a bit of the medicinal uses of alcohol. Good for cleaning wounds- But more important, good for salving wounds- emotional ones, too!

Greetings to all,

I have just booked my New York - London air ticket for Nov 11. Virgin Atlantic $131 one way! Booked it with Orbitz.com That is a very low airfare....more money for Champagne! Not looking forward to the pound/dollar exchange rate. We should plan a bar to meet in prior/after sailaway on Nov 18.

I had planned to travel alone, but I will have a companion, my wife's (Cathy died last year) former sister-in-law.

David

David:

Excellent deal on the airfare ... wish I had done as well. If you folks haven't tried Sidestep.com I highly recommend it as a time-saver, because it searches all of the travel sites in one go.

I am looking forward to meeting you and everyone else ... on a separate thread the consensus "best bar" seemed to be the Commodore Club ... so perhaps that will make a good gathering place.

As an update, the wife is having the time of her life getting the trip information piecemeal ... she still doesn't know about the second ship!

:-)

- Spike

Hello to all!

I'm Spikes surprised and quite happy and excited wife. I 've been told that you all have been in on the surprise for months. "Spike" has been SLOWLY revealing one clue at a time to me by text message on our cell phones....something like 80 messages all together. He put the song "Come Sail Away" on my ringer so every time it rang (80 times) I heard Styx serenade me. He now needs to change my ring song as I am quite sick of it.

However I am completely shocked, wonderfully surprised and amazingly excited about our upcoming adventure. Still trying to process it all and figure out what all we will be doing, and desperately ready to get away from it all.

Looking forward to meeting you all onboard. I've got to get busy shopping , packing, and finding sexy shoes that I can actually walk in.

Donna, I may join you in the spa, it sounds WONDERFUL!!!

By the way, Spike looks GREAT in his "James Bond" tux!

Feel free to ask questions.

- surprisedwifey

aka Maria

Hello to all!

I'm Spikes surprised and quite happy and excited wife. I 've been told that you all have been in on the surprise for months. "Spike" has been SLOWLY revealing one clue at a time to me by text message on our cell phones....something like 80 messages all together. He put the song "Come Sail Away" on my ringer so every time it rang (80 times) I heard Styx serenade me. He now needs to change my ring song as I am quite sick of it.

However I am completely shocked, wonderfully surprised and amazingly excited about our upcoming adventure. Still trying to process it all and figure out what all we will be doing, and desperately ready to get away from it all.

Looking forward to meeting you all onboard. I've got to get busy shopping , packing, and finding sexy shoes that I can actually walk in.

Donna, I may join you in the spa, it sounds WONDERFUL!!!

By the way, Spike looks GREAT in his "James Bond" tux!

Feel free to ask questions.

- surprisedwifey

aka Maria

Maria!

Great to see you on board here!

Whatever you do, do NOT go back and read past posts detailing the subterfuge we were all in on! <LOL>

I hope you have unlimited text messaging, or you may have to give up the trip to pay for them!

I wish I was on your trip. My sweetie and I are on the 2 Sept Labor day cruise. (I was thinking maybe Spike could give him some helpful hints on the romantic stuff! <G> I think Spike just might be a keeper! And judging from what he has concocted for you, I'm guessing he thinks you are a keeper too!

Welcome aboard!

And happy anniversary (Early)

Karie,

Who is jealous, but also thinks she'll keep what she's got. He's a gem, too!

Glad to see that you've finally spilled the beans Spike ... the next few weeks of looking forward to it will by far surpass the 'last minute surprise'

Seems as though we're getting a fair old crowd for this crossing. I've had an e-mail from someone who read the review I did to say that they will also be on the same trip ... although I don't think they post on the boards. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong there Clive.

At this rate we'll be able to book one of the bars for a private function!

Patch -

Yes, beans everywhere.

Packing out one of the bars (and closing it down ... why not?) sounds like a grand time! We are (both, now) genuinely looking forward to meeting all of you, and any others that come 'round between now and then.

Donna - the wife was particularly amused by your plucky posting ... she can't wait to meet you. I fear for my wallet once the two of you are turned loose in the spa.

Talk to you all soon!

- Spike

Karie,

Spike is DEFINITELY a keeper! I keep encouraging him to write a book for guys cause he's really great at thoughtful, romantic stuff, pulling off surprises etc..

I'm finally soaking in the whole surprise and getting excited about this wonderful trip. I can't wait to run away from it all for awhile with my honey.

I 'm starting to panic about the packing, and shopping. I'm glad there's still some time.

I'm dreaming of the spa!

take care all,

Maria

Nice to have you in on the secret Maria, i would have loved to see your face when all was reavealled, spike certainly knows how to organize a big secret. Feel free to join me in the spa, it really does sound great and so relaxing, and after the busy time at work ive had recently i sure am gonna need some relaxation.

SirDavid-great airfare price, what a bargain!! Nice to see that you have now got a travelling companion, not that you needed one with us lot onboard, you would never have been short of friend or two.

I think i have finally (again!!) decided on exactly what clothes im taking, that is if i dont go near any shops until i get on the ship.

Another double shift today so id better go to work now, speak to you all soon.

Donna

Greetings to all,

Glad to hear the cat is out of the bag....what fun! I have just surprised Baiba....I told her I would buy her lunch on Wednesday Nov 15.....no big deal, right....then I added in Paris, were going for the day on the Eurostar train!

Anybody have any strong feelings which side of the ship is best...Port of Starboard.

David:)

Well, I'm not sure how much difference it will make in the Atlantic in late-November ... but perhaps when we get down toward the Caribbean ...

The port side will have more sun, and theoretically more warmth ...

We are booked as a guarantee (still hoping to be blessed by the upgrade fairy!) so we will have to wait to find out which side we're on ...

- Spike

Archived