QM2 November 18th 2006

legospice

I enjoy a nice chilled white wine so finding it not chilled might have been a surprise.

We were at a Sheffield hotel for a drinks reception. We asked if the white wine was chilled; "No" came the reply. When we said that we'd take red instead we were told "That's not chilled either"! Wine education is not that well developed in some areas of this country.

Malcolm -

20 pounds for the wine is a bit steep ... not that we wouldn't ever spend that much (or more) ... but since we are not wine sophisticates, we often are as content with a glass of the house wine as we are with anything. (At mid-price restaurants around here, if they offer wine by-the-glass it typically can be had for between $5 and $10 ... what is that, about 3-5 GBP?)

(Personally, I enjoy a small glass as a 'pairing' with food, and if I am eating Italian food wine is a must ... but most of the time I can be found with either beer or gin in my hand! Now I, for one, would like nothing better than to spend a week touring around the UK a bit to find some of those great ales you've been describing ... maybe next time! lol)

Everything is relative, I suppose ... I've traveled enough to know that in any large city, spending around $150 on dinner for two is hardly considered "breaking the bank" (which is nearly what the 75 GBP works out to these days ..). However, nine times out of ten our dining budget (even when on a 'date night') is about half that.

I suppose I should say that I'm not "worried" about the whole affair ... we are comfortable sussing-out a place on our own ... but we also love getting recommendations from friends as well. As some say these days - "It's all good."

Whatever the case, I know we will enjoy our (very) brief stay in London and the crossing even more.

It's actually quite humorous that we are in the UK for such a short time, because Maria and I both truly enjoy the country and would dearly love to stay longer ...

... but fate seems to conspire against us! Last time we were in Europe, due to itinerary, we had a grand total of two days in London - even though the rest our our tour went almost two months!

One of these days, we will make it a longer stay. Perhaps we will have some friends to visit after the QM2!

Take care, everyone!

- Spike

Hi Donna:

My husband and I are sailing on the 18th also. Just booked last weekend on a spur of the moment decision. We are flying to London (our favorite city) and spending a few days before the cruise. Unlike the lucky others who get to keep cruising, we have to go back to Michigan once we arrive in Ft. Lauderdale.

We cruised the Mediterranean for our honeymoon ten years ago and have done other (less interesting) cruises--this one is a dream come true!!

Can you give us any idea what the weather will be like?

Thanks!

Mary

20 pounds for the wine is a bit steep ... not that we wouldn't ever spend that much (or more) ... but since we are not wine sophisticates, we often are as content with a glass of the house wine as we are with anything. (At mid-price restaurants around here, if they offer wine by-the-glass it typically can be had for between $5 and $10 ... what is that, about 3-5 GBP?)

At USD 5-10 per glass, working on six glasses per bottle that equals USD 30-60 per bottle. Given that buying per glass is more expensive I don't think that my guesstimate of GBP 20 per bottle is out of the way. Of course it will depend where you buy it; in some pubs you'll get it at well under GBP 10 per bottle.

Everything is relative, I suppose ... I've traveled enough to know that in any large city, spending around $150 on dinner for two is hardly considered "breaking the bank" (which is nearly what the 75 GBP works out to these days ..). However, nine times out of ten our dining budget (even when on a 'date night') is about half that.

What strikes me is that, as you're going to be having some very large meals on the QM2, I wouldn't be bothered about eating full meals in London. Try to go for "bar snacks" - a main course without all the trimmings - served in pubs. Try to go for independent pubs who cook their own food, although if you want a cheep meal that's quite good you could try http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/. They have several outlets in London.

Malcolm -

Again, sincere thanks for the suggestions.

I hope it doesn't seem like I am "making a mountain out of a molehill" over one meal ... in reality I just enjoy chatting about these sorts of things!

I am the sort who likes to sit with a friend or two (preferably with that pint of ale you mention) and "hold forth" on any number of subjects for seemingly endless periods. (Our family gatherings are often good-natured-but-riotous affairs, as I come by the habit naturally!) For me, conversation is entertainment.

I will indeed look into the independent pub option as well ... and if any of the board participants are Londoners, perhaps they can recommend a favorite!

Take care, all!

- Spike

We were at a Sheffield hotel for a drinks reception. We asked if the white wine was chilled; "No" came the reply. When we said that we'd take red instead we were told "That's not chilled either"! Wine education is not that well developed in some areas of this country.

This must be a yorkshire thing its hard not to get chilled wine anywhere else in

GREAT BRITAIN

good meal in london try "the ivy" its 1 of london top rest's early you,ll get good mean for 2 for £75

silverfox whats a good hotel near to cruise terminal thought i might drive there leave wife and cases in hotel nip back to heathrow park car then jump on train back (seems like a good plan ) lol

Mike -

Thanks for the tip ... it's always fun to people-watch for celebs while you dine ... I'm not the gawking type but it's sort of entertaining nonetheless to see someone you recognize have a seat at the next table.

The date is fast approaching!

BTW - there is a *vey* impressive web site that Celebrity has just launched for the newly refurbished Century - http://www.cruisecentury.com

Cunard should consider doing one of these for all of their ships ... it is really nice.

- Spike

Hi Donna:

My husband and I are sailing on the 18th also. Just booked last weekend on a spur of the moment decision. We are flying to London (our favorite city) and spending a few days before the cruise. Unlike the lucky others who get to keep cruising, we have to go back to Michigan once we arrive in Ft. Lauderdale.

We cruised the Mediterranean for our honeymoon ten years ago and have done other (less interesting) cruises--this one is a dream come true!!

Can you give us any idea what the weather will be like?

Thanks!

Mary

Hi Mary

Andrea and I booked a few weeks ago. This is our 1st TA and 1st Cunard. This is a dream come true for us as well.

Mary Lynn (ML)

Hi Mary Lynn:

Thx for your reply! I get more excited every day. One small issue I'm dealing with is finding a flight home from Florida. We are using FF miles for the flight to London and I forgot that our return would be on Thanksgiving weekend! We may have to walk. I'll probably need the exercise after eating all week.

My husband and I are boaters and love just being on the water. I've always liked the days at sea better than most of the ports (except in the Mediterranean) so this should be perfect.

Years ago I worked as a Travel Agent and vividly remember booking a trip for a very wealthy elderly woman who was taking her grandaughter to Europe as a graduation gift. They flew over on the Concorde and returned on the QE 2. I remember thinking "now, that's living!" I'm too late for the Concorde but I'm crossing that pond!!

Mary

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all getting excited about our crossing. Havent been on for a while, doing the DIY thing and we have been living in what can only be described as a contruction zone but things are getting better now so maybe i can get that cruise vibe back in my head instead of the hammer noise that has been there for 2 weeks. The next time my mother decides she wants a new something (this one started out as a fireplace and ended up new everything) im running away from home!!!!

Donna

We are getting closer to sailaway!

Just as a point of information. Any of you that will be in London on Wednesday 15 November will be able to enjoy a rare treat! The State Opening of Parliment. The Royal procession departs Buckingham Palace at 11:00am via the Mall. A chance to see the Queen and Prince Philip and all the British pomp and pageantry. Best viewing will be in the Mall and outside Buckingham Palace. This year for security reasons you will not be allowed ouside the House of Lords. Enjoy and bring your camera!

1112922463_STATEOPENING2.jpg.5c51486e176762c3dad4fcdabd636982.jpg

Hello, all ...

Wifey and I were "out-of-pocket" (as my old boss used to say) for a week visiting the in-laws in Florida. Lo, and behold! When I return ... it is now barely more than a month until our crossing! :-)

Last-minute (okay, last "month") tasks abound ... from baggage concerns to finding just the right tie or cufflinks ... of course there's that pesky "job" nagging at me as well.

BTW - offer still stands to share our ride (via Woodford car service) with anyone who will be heading from London to Southampton on the morning of the 18th.

We will all be meeting in-person very soon!

- Spike

Any plans to meet on the QM2 the afternoon of November 18 for a drink? Prior to sailing. Anyone got any ideas? or suggestions. The pub or perhaps another venue.:):):)

Pub sounds good to me prior to sailing. I like to be on deck for sailaway.

ML

Just poking my head around the corner to remind you nice folks to sign the Cruise Critic Visitor's Log in the Library. Just ask for it as they keep it under the desk.

Please sign the book and leave your comments. It was put onboard the QM2 on the Maiden Voyage.:D

Just got in from work, checked the personalizer and we've got a cabin number! Booked a B6 and got a B3 - am happy! Will now go and celebrate with a large gin and tonic. Not long now, looking forward to seeing you all on board. Sue.

Nice one sue,

Everytime i check it still says my little inside closet number, i keep hoping it will change but no upgrade fairy yet, but i still believe in fairies!!!

Only 4 weeks to go folks, im now officially in panic mode as that means i only have 4 days of from work until we sail, how am i going to fit in everything, need to find clothes, iron clothes, pack clothes, get hair done, get manicure, get pedicure change my mind about what im taking then repeat steps 1,2 and 3, deciding what shoes and bags to take,practice walking in heels again. Oh the list is endless i better start now!!

Pub sounds like a good idea to me, i will need a drink after all the stress of accessorising. Im so glad im only a girlie girl on holiday. imagine what id be like if i had to do this everytime i left the house. I thank god that for the other 47 weeks of the year its either work clothes or jeans and sneakers.

Donna

Donna,

<LOL>

You sound just like me!

If I was used to wearing stockings, heels jewelry and make-up every day this would be no biggie. But I don't! I wear scrubs and jeans or scrub pants to work. I love all the pockets (and no, I don't work in a hospital or medical or anything. I just love the pockets and the fact that they cover my belly.)

I have to take twenty-seven pairs of earrings becasue I don't know which ones will look right THAT NIGHT.

Here's a couple of helpful hints. Don't go crazy ironing. There are irons on board the ship, and they get wrinkled in the suitcase anyway. Get yourself a couple of nice pairs of flats or ballerinas (which are in this year) with maybe some kind of decoration to look dressy. Most of your dresses, if long, you probably don't need to wear pantyhose. Get knee-highs (or those thigh highs if you can wear them.) Extra plus is that 3 knee highs is as good as two pairs. One run in one, you can still pair it with only one other! Sometimes I pack my jewelry in baggies (ziplock) as a set- bracelet necklace and earring that I will wear with a particular dress. Go to a craft store and get those small craft bags (also ziplock) for earrings.

Now, all that said, (me- Miss smarty pants) I panic just as much., And no matter how organized I get, I still start throwing in things willy-nilly at the end! <LOL>

Good luck- and have fun!

Karie, who had Blueberry beer at the pub!. With real blueberries floating in it- So I could skip desert! <G> (Oh, and gret fish and chips!)

Don't go crazy ironing. There are irons on board the ship, and they get wrinkled in the suitcase anyway.

Have you worked out what you're paying for your trip per hour? If you do that you might find that the ship's pressing service is suddenly very cheap in comparison! (Besides things pack better, well you can get more in, if they're ironed)

Have you worked out what you're paying for your trip per hour? If you do that you might find that the ship's pressing service is suddenly very cheap in comparison! (Besides things pack better, well you can get more in, if they're ironed)

Heavens, Malcolm, If I figured out the per hour rate, I wouldn't go!

I prefer not to think about how much I am spending after I've paid the final payment until that last night when they slip the final, final bill under the door!

Karie,

Who is scared by big numbers!

Doing the doc dance right now, came home from work and there they were the posh wallet with my cruise tickets, yipee!!! It says in them 3 formal nights ( not 2 as they had previously said) 2 semi formal and 2 casual. Cant wait, im sooohhhh excited now i probably wont be able to sleep.

Donna

Wheeeeee!

Three formals ... wifey will be happy.

(She plans to bring lots of dresses, as you all know!)

Then again, I'm packing a tux, a suit, and a jacket ... or perhaps two suits ...

Don't have my docs yet, but perhaps soon ... can't wait to meet all of you. A pint in the pub before sail-away sounds wonderful.

We are planning a "test pack" with our bags & contents sometime this week ... don't want to have one of those "Hey, it doesn't all fit" moments the night before we fly out!

Just can't believe it is only 27 days away!

- Spike

Archived