QM2 November 18th 2006

legospice

I must answer the post from "Travel-to-go." I can only hope that the comments were made as a joke and not a statement of fact. As an American/Englishman living in the States since 1962 the comments re food in England could not be further from the truth. Due in no small part to the big influx of new ethnic groups, England now has some of the BEST food in the world......You can dine better in London than New York. The days of bland boiled beef and carrots are long gone. And oh yes, some of the best food is to be found in the good old British pub....The pub is not just for drinking. "Travel-to-go" you are way out of date....way behind the times....get with the program. Bland food and small portions can be found in the U.K., but you have to work hard to find them these days.

David :):):)

I second those remarks David - The 'jokes' about food in Britain started during WW11 with the returning service people, and for a while after the war - Nowadays the food is excellent ( give or take a few of the usual fast food places).

I must answer the post from "Travel-to-go." I can only hope that the comments were made as a joke and not a statement of fact. As an American/Englishman living in the States since 1962 the comments re food in England could not be further from the truth. Due in no small part to the big influx of new ethnic groups, England now has some of the BEST food in the world......You can dine better in London than New York. The days of bland boiled beef and carrots are long gone. And oh yes, some of the best food is to be found in the good old British pub....The pub is not just for drinking. "Travel-to-go" you are way out of date....way behind the times....get with the program. Bland food and small portions can be found in the U.K., but you have to work hard to find them these days.

David :):):)

Oh, good heavens, yes! David. I am joking! (And Doc- thanks for your comments also) I tried to give as many hints as possible that I did not mean it. (Why I was ducking) but I should remind myslef, that even though you knew I was joking there are those who might not- Or worse, those who tar an entire country's cuisine (or an entire class of people- ethic, race, "class" or whatever) with the same old tired brush (or roller<G>)

How truly rude it would be. I only make fun of stereotypes because they are so ludicrous.

Funny thing, though ( I probably shouldn't admit this) in my small town (of Colchester) we have a pub. Well, it thinks it is an Irish pub, but it has more British fare than Irish. (I think Guiness Stew is only on Sunday nights, Fish and chips only on Friday nights) it is a quirky menu. Crab cakes? Well- We go for the atmosphere, the great varieties of beer on tap (cold, in the American tradition) the people, the music, NOT the food. We usually go for the ploughman's lunch or the crudites and dip. It's hard to make a bad one! But that is one pub....in Colchester, CT USA- NOT known for its culinary delights! Heck, we only have a few eating places in town though there's a new Italian place we love, and a "on the way to the beach in the days before the highways" type burger and dog outdoor stand that people drive from across the state to get to.

Darn. Marc just called. I told him I wanted to go to Billy O'Briens (the phub) for dinner! It's just been that kind of a day! He actually offered me a homemade mojito to stay home! <LOL>

And yes. you are right. I am WAY out of date and behind the times! It's comfortable back here in the dark ages!

So to all who thought me serious.

I CANNOT JUDGE THE FOOD IN BRITAIN, HAVING NEVER BEEN THERE! I'd be willing to bet it is as delightful as food found anywhere else. some places are no doubt great, some are no doubt lousy. Just like here, just like France, just like anywhere!

Maybe when I get to Southampton for that QE2 crossing I want to take, I'll find out!

Karie,

who apologizes ....sincerely, if I have offended.

You may say mean nasty things about me in return, if you wish. I promise not to duck! :o

Hi Karie,

I live in Manlius New York. A village about 13 miles outside Syracuse. We have a pub with a quirky menu also. We can only get "beer battered" fish & chips on Friday lunchtime. A friend in England wanted to see what American fish & chips looked like, so I sent him the attached picture taken last Friday.

To be serious, I did not think you were serious!

Bon Appetit!

David

2116300824_FISHCHIPS.JPG.1bdf635f015b1e16ce0a641da995c721.JPG

Hi Karie,

I live in Manlius New York. A village about 13 miles outside Syracuse. We have a pub with a quirky menu also. We can only get "beer battered" fish & chips on Friday lunchtime. A friend in England wanted to see what American fish & chips looked like, so I sent him the attached picture taken last Friday.

To be serious, I did not think you were serious!

Bon Appetit!

David

Yes,Sir Daivd, But is it strictly legal according to pub rules to have white wine with Fish and Chips? And where is your bottle of malt vinegar? (BTW, Marc had a "Pub Cheese Steak"- Looked pretty much like a HUGE Philly Cheese Steak with lots of onions and peppers!)

Karie,

Who used to live in Endwell and Binghamton, a long, long time ago- Dupuis le deluge. (Well, okay, as a child. My Dad worked for GE- I think my former step-Mom lived in Syracuse ...or was it Schenectady... I always mix those two up!)

Is it strictly legal according to pub rules to have white wine with Fish and Chips? And where is your bottle of malt vinegar?

Who cares about the fish and chips? Who'd drink white wine in a pub? Pub wine would solve your vinegar problem anyway!:D

Pub wine would solve your vinegar problem anyway!:D

Nary a truer word......a nice pint of bitter would go down well......its that brown stuff that does not have to be served frozen so you can't taste it....some of it even has alcohol in....and there are some wonderful names...like Bishop's Finger, Old Fart, Old Peculier or Owd Roger......I'm sure Karie might enjoy any of those.....;)

Peter

Yes,Sir Daivd, But is it strictly legal according to pub rules to have white wine with Fish and Chips? And where is your bottle of malt vinegar? (BTW, Marc had a "Pub Cheese Steak"- Looked pretty much like a HUGE Philly Cheese Steak with lots of onions and peppers!)

Karie,

Who used to live in Endwell and Binghamton, a long, long time ago- Dupuis le deluge. (Well, okay, as a child. My Dad worked for GE- I think my former step-Mom lived in Syracuse ...or was it Schenectady... I always mix those two up!)

My Dear Karie,

The "Malt Vinegar" is the bottle (dark) on the top left! The glass does not contain white wine....rather it is Champagne!, Baiba's drink of choice. :):):)

G.E. was headquartered in Schenectady but had a big plant here....take your choice.

David

Nary a truer word......a nice pint of bitter would go down well......its that brown stuff that does not have to be served frozen so you can't taste it....some of it even has alcohol in....and there are some wonderful names...like Bishop's Finger, Old Fart, Old Peculier or Owd Roger......I'm sure Karie might enjoy any of those.....;)

Peter

And without any artificial fizz :)

(BTW I'm very fond of Theakstons OP - the proper stuff, not the liquid that you get in bottles - it's only brewed about 1/2 an hour from here)

... or should I say wine ... lol

I'm fond of pub fare as well ... unfortunately other than one faux-Irish pub here (they actually do a passable job, considering we're in Ohio, for crying out loud) there ain't much to choose from.

'When in Rome' you know - 'round here you are better-off looking for some cabbage rolls, turtle soup, chili (minus the cinnamon, no thank you very much Cincinnati), or pizza with a paper-thin crust! There is one world-class steak place in Dayton as well ... if you ever get here, The Pine Club is considered by many as good as anyplace in the country.

Isn't that why we travel? To sample the food elsewhere?

:-)

Now, back to London ... thanks for the tip, Sir David!

Also ... don't throw tomatoes, but we've developed a curiosity about Gordon Ramsay's food from his TV exploits. The main spots are quite pricey, but he has a few in London that are more casual ... has anyone ever tried Boxwood Cafe, Maze, or Banquette?

ALSO - considering food & price ... here in the 'States (as I'm sure Sir David knows) portions are out of control everywhere. We *never* order two of anything ... usually sharing a single appetizer or salad ... one entree ... and maybe a dessert. (Wine and drinks we don't share! lol) This means we typically dine at nicer places for a lot less money ... even many of the nicer restaurants here seem determined to overfeed you these days.

What are things like in that regard in London? Do I need to plan on two of everything or not? And is it customary to add a "sharing" or "extra plate" surcharge there? (May sound like I'm over-thinking, but if we spend half as much we'll pick someplace twice as nice!) :-)

Again, all suggestions are welcome!

My Dear Karie,

The "Malt Vinegar" is the bottle (dark) on the top left! The glass does not contain white wine....rather it is Champagne!, Baiba's drink of choice. :):):)

G.E. was headquartered in Schenectady but had a big plant here....take your choice.

David

Well, I wasn't sure if that was a malt vinegar bottle or not- It was kind of dark- and I knew it was chamoagne (or sparkling wine,) as I could see the bottle. But I see that you have as marvelous a sense of humor as most on this list, and play along quite nicely,

As far as Syracuse ot Schenectady, I'll say no thanks. With winter coming soon, Connecticut is bad enough. I should think both Syracuse and Schenectady would be worse!

Baiba is a lovely name. I am sure for quite a lovely lady! And she has good taste in libations! (and husbands!)

Karie

Isn't that why we travel? To sample the food elsewhere?

Not just the food, but the food is a big part:) Isn't that why we cruise? To enjoy the meals?:)

We've developed a curiosity about Gordon Ramsay's food from his TV exploits.

We used to love the Savoy Grill. Now that he's got it (or at least his protégé Marcus Wareing) we've not been back. Our reason isn't the quality of the food, just that he's altered so much (things like dress code and decor) that we liked we don't want to go back.

ALSO - considering food & price ... here in the 'States (as I'm sure Sir David knows) portions are out of control everywhere. We *never* order two of anything ... usually sharing a single appetizer or salad ... one entree ... and maybe a dessert. (Wine and drinks we don't share! lol) This means we typically dine at nicer places for a lot less money ... even many of the nicer restaurants here seem determined to overfeed you these days.

What are things like in that regard in London? Do I need to plan on two of everything or not? And is it customary to add a "sharing" or "extra plate" surcharge there? (May sound like I'm over-thinking, but if we spend half as much we'll pick someplace twice as nice!) :-)

A lot depends on your appetite, but We find it rare to get portions so big that we can't finish them. Even in the places that do serve very large meals there wouldn't be enough for two people from one meal. It's also worth noting that price is not indicative of quantity - one of our favourite pubs does vast helpings fairly cheaply, our favourite restaurant does more normal portions and charges a lot. I wouldn't think that most restaurants in the UK have been asked for a second plate for two adults to share a meal; London could be different though as they'll be more used to tourists with different habits.

Who cares about the fish and chips? Who'd drink white wine in a pub? Pub wine would solve your vinegar problem anyway!:D

Oh dear Malcolm, I'm afraid I'm going to start an international incident next year while visiting the UK. Ok, I looooooove fish and chips - although never had the authentic British stuff - but.........................I'd be the who that would drink white wine in a pub! Don't like beer so just cannot see myself ordering a Guinness. :eek: Does this mean I am not welcomed in the UK anymore? Will you ever speak to me again?

David

Who wish this was Karie writing this!:rolleyes:

As far as Syracuse ot Schenectady, I'll say no thanks. With winter coming soon, Connecticut is bad enough. I should think both Syracuse and Schenectady would be worse!

Baiba is a lovely name. I am sure for quite a lovely lady! And she has good taste in libations! (and husbands!)

Karie

I've been to Schenectady. It's worse! Even in spring time.:p

Sirdavid, I agree with Karie about your wife. Love champagne! She has great taste.

David

A very popular name isn't it?

I'd be the who that would drink white wine in a pub! Don't like beer so just cannot see myself ordering a Guinness. :eek: Does this mean I am not welcomed in the UK anymore? Will you ever speak to me again?:rolleyes:

David - your appalling ignorance (:D ) is forgiven. A word of warning about white wine in British pubs: It will be poor quality, it won't be chilled, it will be expensive. You're better off drinking something else.

When you say that you "don't like" beer do you mean the light brown fizzy stuff? When you're over here you must try our cask beers - they are totally different (both from keg beers and from each other). They range from mild and sweet to dark, rich and creamy. A bit like Guinness but with far more flavour. They don't travel so you will only get them within about 50 miles of the brewery.

I feel I must correct a very understandable myth! Baiba is not my wife we are just very close and good friends! My wife died last year after a five year battle with cancer. She and Baiba married brothers, both of whom turned out not to be worth keeping! I married Catherine and Baiba remained the gay divorcee! We have known each other for over 27 years. Catherine told us shortly before she die, that she hoped we would have fun together.....but warned, with her usual wit, that if we did anything before she died, she would haunt us for the rest of our life!

There, I have set the record straight......I will admit to working on the proble, but with no positive results so far.:):):)

David

Oh dear Malcolm, I'm afraid I'm going to start an international incident next year while visiting the UK. Ok, I looooooove fish and chips - although never had the authentic British stuff - but.........................I'd be the who that would drink white wine in a pub! Don't like beer so just cannot see myself ordering a Guinness. :eek: Does this mean I am not welcomed in the UK anymore? Will you ever speak to me again?

David

Who wish this was Karie writing this!:rolleyes:

Lately I've discovered Smithwicks. Although- alcohol abuse, I spilled a pint last night- :otippy three legged table. I'd only had one sip-:( The Barkeep gave me another, refused payment, even refused an extra tip!:))

Smithwicks is a dark ale- not too hoppy- In fact, not hoppy at all. It is not as sweet as a Newcastle or JW Dundees Honey Ale. Not as Creamy as a Nut Brown Ale. A bit on the bland side compared to some, but sometimes that is just what you want!

Psst! David, next time, just email it to me b/c and I'll post it

Karie,

who IS posting this! <G>

I feel I must correct a very understandable myth! Baiba is not my wife we are just very close and good friends! My wife died last year after a five year battle with cancer. She and Baiba married brothers, both of whom turned out not to be worth keeping! I married Catherine and Baiba remained the gay divorcee! We have known each other for over 27 years. Catherine told us shortly before she die, that she hoped we would have fun together.....but warned, with her usual wit, that if we did anything before she died, she would haunt us for the rest of our life!

There, I have set the record straight......I will admit to working on the proble, but with no positive results so far.:):):)

David

Well, of course David, I am speaking in the future! Because of course, I think the your chamr will win her charms in due time!

And I am sure that Catherine, too, was simply lovely. I am so sorry about your loss, but glad that you had the kind of love that would dorge a far-reaching friendship with your sister-in-law. That part is marvelous. I did think I remembered you saying something a while back about having lost your wife. Wasn't sure if you had remarried, or if this was a "Special friend"

Well- here's embarassing. First let me say (which will soon become obvious) that I am not Catholic. One day on our recent 4 day, we happened to lunch with a fascinating couple. They were from Louisville (Which had recently suffereed a devastating plane crash.) We later bumped into them at the Maritime Museum in Halifax. I think I referred to her once or twice as "your wife" or something. Well, at some point at lunch, they had enlightened us that he was onboard for two weeks as the Chaplain, and was Chaplain at two hospitals in Louisville. I know that he mentioned being a priest. Well, Episcopal priests can and do marry. But he indicated he was a Catholic Priest. And there I was, calling his traveling companion his wife. And no, I don't have any idea what their cabin arrangements were. (Or even if they shared a cabin) <Sigh> Just call me an idiot! And I may try to find him in Louisville, as I took a nice picture of him sitting in the replica deck chair from the Titatnic in the museum. I forgot to get his email or snail mail address.

Karie,

who has been known to be a boob at times!<G>

Malcolm -

Thanks a bunch for the dining tips. Knowing what the average portions are like is great help in selecting a price range for restaurants.

We are not "huge" eaters ... we prefer to have smaller tastes of more dishes, if that is an option. Unless we are spending an extended evening with friends, we typically won't have more than two drinks each ... one before dinner and some wine with.

I suppose I should also point out that although we do love fine dining, we are also equally big fans of little "hole-in-the-wall" places that specialize in local favorites. As long as the food is good, we don't require the white linens!

I recall one such tiny place in the French Quarter in New Orleans that had about four tables, and simply fantastic Creole food. And cheap!

I'm thinking that I'd like to keep our meal that evening in London in the 75 pound range for the two of us ... so my goal is to find the most memorable dining experience without breaking that bank. (I know sometimes good "mid-price" eateries can be the hardest to find, so if necessary we'd rather go "cheap and tasty" than moderately priced and bland!)

The search continues!

Hope you all are having a fine weekend.

- Spike

I recall one such tiny place in the French Quarter in New Orleans that had about four tables, and simply fantastic Creole food. And cheap!

I'm thinking that I'd like to keep our meal that evening in London in the 75 pound range for the two of us ...

- Spike

75 pounds. Is that in money, or weight gain. I know a couple of barbecue joints where that that could be your intake for the night <G>

And I'll have to find out about this Creole place. If it survived. Though the French Quarter didn't get hit too bad.

Went to see the Sauce Boss last night. I guess he has to tone it done for audiences, but I think I make MUCH better gumbo!

Karie,

I will play for gumbo!

Lately I've discovered Smithwicks.

That's more than me! I had to Google it to find out what kind of beer it was (apparently it's brewed in Dublin by Guinness). It's bottled which isn't a good sign - don't you have a few micro breweries on your side of the pond that do brew a live ale? See if you can find one of those and try that.:)

It does go to show that there are so many breweries that produce such a wide range of ale you can't say that you don't like any of them until you've tried at least three or four!

David - I don't want to force you to drink beer if you don't like it, I'd just hate you to miss out on one of the things that's exceptional about the UK.

I'm thinking that I'd like to keep our meal that evening in London in the 75 pound range for the two of us ... so my goal is to find the most memorable dining experience without breaking that bank.

Spike - In this country alcohol is very expensive (Not as bad as Norway or Sweden, but close). You'll be looking at about £20.00 for the wine and £5.00 for the drink before your meal. That's a third of your meal budget gone already:eek:

It's a long tine since I've been in London and even longer since I've lived there so I can't recommend an actual restaurant, however I'd avoid things like the Aberdeen Steak Houses (very touristy and expensive) and wander around the back streets of Soho to see what I could find.

One final thought: Where are you staying? Ask the Reception or the Concierge there for a local recommendation - they should know the area and should know somewhere decent.

Hi, we are David and Pauline from Southampton. We live in a village about 4 miles from the Cruise Terminal but close enough to the Docks to hear the QM2 horn when she is departing.

We are booked on this trip but on a guaranteed B4 grade so we are hoping that the upgrade fairy will wave her magic wand for us.

If anyone wants any local information for their pre-cruise arrangements, please do contact us.

Looking forward to meeting you all on board.

Regards.

David - I don't want to force you to drink beer if you don't like it, I'd just hate you to miss out on one of the things that's exceptional about the UK.

Oh Malcolm, I don't feel like I am being forced. Although it might take a while for the arm to recover from all that twisting you gave it.:D

Seriously, I realize that the UK and Ireland are known as beer countries. The only beer I ever had was the weaker bottled stuff brewed here in Canada - never even tried the even more weaker stuff made in the US. I grew up in a small town where beer and pizza and hockey was considered culture.However, I just find beer to be a very heavy drink and it takes hours for me to nurse one glass down. Now, a bottle of wine - that's gone instantly!:o Hmmmm, should I be vacationing in France instead? But as you say, a micro-brewed beer is different and so is the stuff made over in the UK. I guess I could at least try it and not paint everything with the same brush. However, thanks for the warning about pub wine. I enjoy a nice chilled white wine so finding it not chilled might have been a surprise.

Hey, at one time my knowledge of wine was that there was two types - red and white. Now I know about the different types (Chardonnay, Riesling, Merlot, etc.) and know different brands from different countries. Just appallingly ignorant about beer though.:(

As for sirdavid? OOOPS, big time. We just all assumed. Anyway, don't feel the need to explain it to us. Main thing is that you had many wonderful years with your wife and that despite the loss you are able to move on. Its better to have a companion/close friend in your life than to be left all alone in the world. Have a good cruise.

David

Archived