Sail & SeaPass card

This is probably a stupid question, but I was wondering just the same. I've budgeted a certain amount for our trip. I have MORE than plenty so it will not be an issue for us. But, I've read & heard about people running up huge bar tabs and such, very large bills on their account. What happens to these people that charge up more than that is available on their SeaPass Account or the credit card linked to it? My dad works with someone that took their children on a cruise, with charging privileges on their cards. The kids went crazy and bought all kinds of things on the ship, including fossil watches, etc. The bill was tremendous when he received it at the end. He wasn't aware that his children were charging so much. I realize that was partly his fault though. So what do they do when those people go crazy and charge more than they have available?

I understand your concerns. I would recommend checking your account. Some of the ships have the interactive system set up so you can check it right in your room. Failing that just check the status at the guest relations desk. I have never had a problem getting a printout when I requested one.

Have a great cruise.

At the end of each day, RCCL will tally up all sea-pass charges and place a hold on your credit card for that amount. Thereby ensuring you don't exceed your limit during the cruise. This way at the end of the cruise they can release the hold and apply the entire charge. If at anytime they get a denied on a 1 day charge, you will be notified to go to the Pursers Desk, be made aware of everything and make other arrangements. I had the same concern and asked how things work. This is what the cruise line told me. As far as children running up tabs, I do not give my children charging privilages on my credit card. I put cash on their accounts, or in the arcade you can put cash in the change machine and swipe the sea-pass card and it is transferred onto it. This worked very well in the past for me. Good Luck, and have a great cruise.

Thank you Cmecompute. I just wondered how that worked. I have no intentions of running up a large bill myself. I was curious how the system worked and how they did prevent those from running up a huge bar tab or shopping bill and no way to pay.

I wouldn't give my children chargingin privileges if they were going with us. I think it's too much temptation for the ages of my children. However, my children will not be cruising with us on our first cruise.

If the kids do have charging privileges, based on the same credit card, is there a way to set a limit on THEIR Sail & SeaPass Card for spending?

Bump. Can someone answer this with experience? Thanks!

Thank you Cmecompute. I just wondered how that worked. I have no intentions of running up a large bill myself. I was curious how the system worked and how they did prevent those from running up a huge bar tab or shopping bill and no way to pay.

I wouldn't give my children chargingin privileges if they were going with us. I think it's too much temptation for the ages of my children. However, my children will not be cruising with us on our first cruise.

Good for you! Have a fantastic cruise spending quality time with your spouse. That's the best gift you can give your kids anyway. :)

I do know that if you use your credit card for your set sail pass they will check your account and if your limit is a certain amount...they WILL notify you when you are getting close to your limit. We had a couple of kids in their early 20s with us a couple of cruises ago and they were notified and then CUT OFF when it got close to their credit card limit...

Archived