Ryndam: Where is best place to stand for sail away?

crzn4fun

We are sailing on the Ryndam next month and wondered where to stand that would give us the best vantage point as we sail away. On RCI's Explorer we stood on the helipad and had great views and very few people. Everyone was up by the pool for the party.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Depending on the weather the sail away party will either be at the aft pool on Navigation Deck or Lido pool.

There isn't any helipad on the Ryndam.

The observation area in front of the gym is now very tiny - holds very few people.

I assume that you are sailing out of Vancouver.

You might want to be on the lower promenade deck if the weather is bad.

We always like to be by the aft pool for sailaway. The view of where you are leaving from will be excellent. Usually they have the sailaway festivities there and even sometimes serve snacks with your beverage of choice for purchase.

Thanks for the replies. Actually, we are leaving from Seward and ending in Vancouver. I was trying to stay away from the "organized" party areas for a nice quiet beginning to our trip.

For some really great views try the Sun Deck---above the Crow's Nest. It might get cold there, though.

For a quiet place there's the aft portion of the Lower Promenade or the aft of the Main Deck. Lower Prom has the advantage that you can move from side to side as you wish.

I vote for the Sun Deck above the Crow's Nest too. The elevator does not go there, so it tends to be less crowded. No tables or chairs either, but a great view. We had star gazing there with an astronomer on our South America trip every night that it was clear.

Thank you all! This has been wonderful trying to decide. I have looked at the deck plans and will have to scout out the places listed before we actually sail away. I don't want to stay on our balcony because that only gives us a view of one side. I want to see it all!

Laffnvegas, I very much enjoyed reading the daily postings of your Alaskan cruise. Thanks also for the picture. I'll have to get up early the morning we get into Vancouver so I can be up when we go under the Lions Gate Bridge!

I would love for RevNeal to post the directions! I will do a search to see if I can find the thread you are talking about. RevNeal is such a prolific poster it may take a while to find it!

ok ok....you twisted my arm.

When people are up in the Crows Nest they look out and see that observation deck in front of the gym (lido deck). It leads them to think that is the only one up front (other than the bow , of course).

What you can't see from above is the Veranda deck observation deck.

The easiest way to get there is to walk forward on Veranda and take the left (port) hallway to the outside door to it. (The right hallways leads through a crew only hallway.)

On the Ryndam, Statendam, etc. you do have to pass very briefly through a crew area, but it is not a problem as long as you don't linger and head left for the exterior door. On the Zaandam and Volendam, the left hall is all public, the right hall is not.

This observation deck can also be reached by descending the foward exterior stairs from the lido observation deck.

This a great place to be to view glaciers because many times people don't know how to get there. However, when I was on the Veendam last, it seemed like more people had discovered it than on previous cruises.

Enjoy!

Here's a secret no one has mentioned yet. Access to the bow-deck.

On an S-class ship you go forward on the lower promenade deck, to where you can cross over from one side of the ship to the other (port to starboard, or visa versa). There are two closet like chambers, glass walled, with doors facing inward. Open the door on one of them and climb the stairs you'll find inside. Those stairs will lead you up one deck, then turn and -- if the door isn't open -- push the water-tight door open and step through (carefully) and out onto the forward bow deck.

On an R-class ship you go forward on the lower promenade deck, to where you can cross over from one side of the ship to the other (port to starboard, or visa versa). Facing forward there's a set of double doors on port and starboard. No signs. Open either and climb the stairs you'll find right in front of you. Turn and push open the water tight door and step (carefully) out onto the forward bow deck.

This deck is one of my favorite places on the ship ... it's especially a great place for Alaska

I prefer the veranda observation deck to the bow. By the glaciers, it can be hard to find a spot by the rail (unless you "camp out") on the bow.

There is usually more open rail on the veranda deck observation.

You can see over and beyond those on the bow from there.

I have a picture that kind of shows that, but I can't figure out how to put it here!

I feel your pain....I live in Phoenix...ouch!

Thanks for the compliment. I have been to Alaska many times, but I was still in total awe of College Fjord. The picture captioned "reflections" is one of my favorites.....with the still water and the sun striking the glaciers.....totally beautiful! I got a lot of lucky shots that time.

Archived