scared to snorkel

spud1997

Where are you cruising? I've snorkeled all over the Caribbean and Hawaii and have never seen a shark - okay, I've seen nurse sharks but those will not bother you. In fact, in Belize you can swim with the nurse sharks. The other place I know where you can run into sharks is the Bahamas - again, there they have dive and snorkel expeditions that will take you out to see sharks. Hawaii also has sharks - my husband has seen them while diving but I personally have never seen one while snorkeling. If that is the only thing stopping you from getting in the water, I wouldn't worry about it.

I live in Florida and have been snorkeling for years. I've never seen a shark but I have snorkeled with the sharks at Disney's Typhoon Lagoon.

Remember, snorkeling charter companies don't want you to have a dangerous shark encounter either. They are not going to take you to Shark Cove unless you sign up for the shark encounter and sign the "if I die, it's not your fault" waiver.

My advice is to sign up for a snorkel excursion through your ship and enjoy a tame snorkel with lots of other people. (Sharks are scared of people for the most part.)

Don't worry, I use to dive in the shark tank in the Pgh Zoo. If you are in the caribbean the chances of seeing a shark are slim to none. Mostly nurse sharks and they are bottom feeders. Get in the water is fin

Bob

Having just come from shark dives in Tahiti, I can tell you that the shark isn't likely to bother you. One guy went in the water with a fresh cut on his leg, and they ignored him. Husband did 5 dives, all with sharks, and never had a problem. If you see a shark, don't panic, but turn and face it. You'll be less of a target, and more intimidating to the shark. Don't thrash, which makes sharks curious. Sufers have more to fear than snorkelers.

Also, sharks feed at sunset, so avoid being in the water at dusk, and you should be just fine. You are much more likely to be in a fatal car accident than be bitten by a shark! For that matter, you're more likely to be struck by lightening than get bit.

We have snorkelled at 5 or 6 places in the Caribbean and have never seen a shark. Saw several barracuda in Cozumel who were curious but did not bother us.

I did see a large reef shark while snorkelling in Hawaii at Molikini, but it had absolutely no interest in us.

I would not worry about it at all. As our captain said on Bones in St. Thomas a few days ago, "don't worry about sharks. We sent them to town, and they are all selling jewelry!"

• 2 weeks later...

I have been diving and snorkeling for years, and the only shark I have ever seen was in the Great Barrier Reef... on a submarine ride! Get wet and have fun.

Now of course, if you are driving a car in a lightning storm during Discovery Channel's 'Shark Week', use caution. :p

GO SNORKELING.

You will not regret it. Practice your breathing with your snorkel at home before the cruise.

Please take a chance and don't be scared. I am a seasoned snorkeler. I remember being terrified that I was going to see a shark in Nassau - I never did.

I have come to the realisation that if YOU DO see a shark on a cruise ship excursion - well that is rare and exciting. I mean how many news articles are there about this kind of incident (getting attacked)? Practically nil to none.

Just wear dark colors in the water (that is what I always do - you blend with the color of the ocean).

Just DO IT. Throw caution to the wind. That is really the only way to live.

Go Snorkeling!! It is an amazing experience. I've been fortunate enough to be raised scuba diving as well and I can't even begin to explain how wonderful it is. I am scared, not even or sharks, but of fish too! haha...Imagine that and I'm a scuba diver! But once I'm in the water I'm totally relaxed and comfortable.

As for sharks...I always thought I would be terrified if I saw a shark. Well, quite the contrary. In Hawaii we were diving and saw three 6 ft nurse sharks no too far away, and I only wanted to get closer. Granted they are harmless, but I didn't know that at the time. There's something about being in their habitat that is exciting and brings out my curiosity. We also saw a small one in Grand Caymen while snorkeling and our guide was playing with it, petting it, etc.

So as a reinforcement, go snorkeling, and you'll never regret it. You'll probably be planning your next trip right after so you can go again!!!!

I know what you mean. I have a fear of open water and sharks as well as jellyfish (the jellyfish fear being actually logical, since I am allergic). Getting my open water diver certification helped me get over my fears and snorkeling is an amazing experience. I love the mask and the breathing tube! That said, I'm training for a triathlon in the ocean and I'm flat terrified of the open water swim. Only one way through it and that's to do it. You can always just tell yourself you'll give it ten minutes. If you're miserable after ten minutes then you can get out and do something else.

I don't know where you are snorkeling but relax, it's going to be fun.

I've snorkeled all over the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean and I've never even seen a shark while I was in the water. I'm no shark expert but from what I've seen on Discovery Channel's Shark Week very few species of sharks would have the moxy to approach a group of snorkelers.

Beside, "Tourist Eaten By Shark" splashed across the local paper doesn't do much for the tourist trade.:eek: Your tour operators will take every precaution if sharks are known to be anywhere near where you are going.

If you've never snorkeled before it is such fun. It takes a few minutes to get used to having your face in the water, breathing through a tube but honestly that is small stuff compared to the beauty you can see under water.

I hope that helps

I'm taking my first cruise in aug and my husband would really like to snorkel, however, I'm soooo scared of seeing SHARKS:eek: can anyone ease my fear

The other reply on here is really not funny.

Depending on where you are and if you are lucky, you MIGHT see some nurse sharks sleeping on the bottom. They will not bother you. What will seem more intimidating will be barracuda, which look fierce, and may come right up to you, but unless you are wearing sparkley jewelry they will just look at you too.

You are more likely to see dozens if not hundreds of beautiful fish, lots of nice coral and sometimes things like lobsters, and octopus.

The one thing to be aware of is that it is not a good idea to touch the reef. Coral can give you nasty cuts and black colored sea urchins, which you will see, but are easy to avoid, will give you a nasty stick.

Go for it and have a great time.

To get used to the putting your face in the water, breathing through a tube thing last year I bought a snorkel and mask before our cruise. We used it in the pool and it helped a lot.

The excursion providers would not take a group into an area where a shark had been sighted before. They have your safety in mind when they plan these things.

We saw a large taurapin (sp?) when we were snorkeling in Grand Cayman that was around 6-7ft long. But, it was down near the bottom (around 20 ft).

Oh Spud - I wish you had been on this board a few years ago. I was absolutely terrified of the thought of snorkeling and having my face underwater. These kind folks eased my fears and gave me such great encouragement.

I now snorkel every time I have an opportunity, on cruises as well as in FL and CA. I LOVE it!!!

I first tried a cheapie snorkel and practiced in my sister's pool. I kept jumping out of the water - even in her pool - in panic mode! I thought I'd never learn, or get over my fear.

I then ordered a really good snorkel from Scuba.com. It's one that's guaranteed not to let any water in. Well worth the money. I have a good-fitting mask now, and I rent fins wherever I go, from dive shops. Learning to breathe correctly took a little time, but you have to take it easy and not panic.

DO IT! Life is just too short. I'm over 60, and am wondering why I wasted so much time not knowing the beauty of the undersea world!:)

Looks like you have all the asurance you need, but...

For about 35 years I have snorkeled and gone diving. I only saw one nurse shark.It was asleep under a coral head. A fellow diver came out and pulled that shark's tale, and shark still didn't bite him, though I wanted to!

Snorkeling is so much easier than swimming. Just lie on top of the water and see all the goodies below. And, with fins on your feet, you can just slide through the water with a minimum of effort.

If you can, get hold of a mask and snorkel and try it out in a friend's pool. That will get you accustomed to breathing through the tube. And to how the mask feels on your face.

About masks... the most irritating thing is one that leaks water. To prevent that, make sure no hair is under the edges of the mask, and don't pull the head strap too tight!!! The tighter it is, the more it will leak.

Finally, relax and enjoy the show. Inexperienced divers keep popping their heads out of the water, using their arms, dog-paddling and the like. Snorkeling should be almost zen-like. You lay on the water, hands relaxed at your side, your face in the water while your snorkel tube brings you all the air you need.

Just make sure you're in eye-sight of a fellow snorkeler (hold hands, even). The buddy system is important when snorkeling.

The most dangerous thing about snorkeling is sunburn on your back and upper thighs! Sometimes sun screen alone isn't enough. I wear an extra-long t-shirt plus sunscreen. contrary to a previous post, I try to avoid dark colors -- they make you hotter and you want to easily spotted by people on ware runners, boats and other such things.

Have a wonderful time!!!

I've tried snorkeling several times over the years and I was never successful until a got a "dry-snorkel" and tried it out in a pool before I headed to open seas. I prefer not snorkeling with a vest except if it's choppy and then I like using a vest. relax and have fun!

I understand and empathize with your fear; I always still have a little bit of fear when jumping in the water.

I have been snorkeling for over 10 years. Most snorklers (including me) have the fear of seeing a shark in the water - they just won't tell you that.

People say you are lucky if you do indeed see one (and it is usually just a harmless nurse shark). Here are some things to do to quell your fears.

1. Don't wear shiny jewelry in the water. Fish are attracted to this (think fishing and lures).

2. Practice breathing in the water before you go. If you have no body of water (i.e., pool) around, take a bath with the snorkel equipment on, dip your head in the water and practice your breathing.

Are you going to Grand Cayman? My snorkeling experience in Grand Cayman was 1st rate, and a lot of fun. I also liked Roatan (Tabayana Beach).

Don't worry and just be aware, alert and smart and you will do fine!

I've snorkeled quite a bit throughout the world and have never once seen a shark. The best snorkeling experience ever is when you get to use this device called a "Tiger Ray". It's a little water robot that wisks you around! Awesome experience. Do it!

I'm taking my first cruise in aug and my husband would really like to snorkel, however, I'm soooo scared of seeing SHARKS:eek: can anyone ease my fear

Im an Advance Scuba Diver and was certified with PADI. Out of all of my Dives here in California, Hawaii, Caribbean and Mexico I have never seen or ran into any type of Shark. I have done my share of Snorkling also and again, no sight of sharks. You should be fine.

Fred

Archived