Hong Kong Hotels

mike35

DW and I will spend a few days pre-cruise in Hong Kong next February, and we would like advice on 5-star hotels there. We would love to stay in the Peninsula, but it is cost prohibitive. We've looked at the JW Marriott and the Intercontinental, which both look quite nice according to their web sites and most on-line reviews. Any suggestions from previous recent travelers would be most welcomed.

Many thanks

Mike

Hi Mike. I'm sorry we will be doing different Asian cruises next year. We are on the Hong Kong (including Bangkok and Vietnam) to Singapore cruise on the Symphony in April. For its pre-cruise hotels, Crystal recommends the Peninsula and the Intercontinental. In checking on both, we have selected the Peninsula but several people including our travel agent have recommended the Intercontinental. Judith

mikebrill,

At the risk of being repetitious, please do yourself a favor and check out the new Four Seasons in Hong Kong. I spent three nights there last month prior to a Silversea cruise and it was absolutely spectacular. From the rooms to the service to the views, to the most amazing pool and spa area I have ever seen to the most inclusive executive club I have ever been in, the experience was as good as it gets.

Stayed at the Marco Polo this past April for 3 days. Excellent service and very quiet rooms. The location is very handy for shopping, the Star ferry etc. We only had breakfast and it was an excellent buffet. The view of the harbour from your room is quite something.

While the Peninsula may be expensive, it is a wonderful splurge for a day or two, especially if you get a room in the tower with a view of the harbor. The atmosphere is outstanding (and it is not just another cookie-cutter five-star hotel). There is good reason why it is considered one of the best in the world. Service is outstanding and, if you check your packages carefully, it can also include the Peninsula's proverbial afternoon tea and other things. It's restaurants are excellent (although you can eat just as well close by for far less!) The location cannot be beat. It's one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences if there is any way to do it.

In Hong Kong, I'm a big fan of the Grand Hyatt. The location is excellent and the hotel has some wonderful restaurants (Grissini's for italian with spectacular harbour views) and their famous champagne bar that pours a huge variety by the glass.

The service is excellent and the rooms are very nice, though western in style.

I also like the Island Shangri-La, which has the largest and most gorgeous chinese style rooms!

I've never stayed in the Peninsula but have been in there many times. I'd never want to stay there personally. It's one of those hotels that everyone wants to see and the lobby is always filled with crowds and tourists taking pictures. Also, I'm not a fan of staying on the Kowloon side, I prefer the HK side.

Ok, now I am confused about The Peninsula in Hong Kong. Went to their website, and fell off my chair when I saw the $2,000 price tag on the rooms.

But in the Crystal brochure they list the price at $450 a night. Are these the rooms that face the loading/unloading docks? It does look like an incredible hotel. :)

Ok, now I am confused about The Peninsula in Hong Kong. Went to their website, and fell off my chair when I saw the $2,000 price tag on the rooms.

But in the Crystal brochure they list the price at $450 a night. Are these the rooms that face the loading/unloading docks? It does look like an incredible hotel. :)

That's 2000 Hong Kong Dollars. Divide by 7 for easy figuring (actually closer to 8) Here's a great and easy conversion site for most any currency. http://www.xe.com/ucc/

Decebal, are you considering one of Crystal's 2007 Asian cruises? We just booked 7210 Hong Kong to Singapore in April and we'll be doing the pre-cruise classic plus (at the Peninsula) in Hong Kong. I also had culture shock when I looked at the dinner prices in their restaurants until I converted them to dollars. If you have any itinerary or cruise questions, come over to the Crystal page here on cruise critic. Several people are doing the LA to HK cruise in March.

Wow, first time a post got lost in cyberspace. So here goes again. Yes, Judith, I've been inhaling the 2007 Crystal atlas, thus the inquiry on the Hong Kong Peninsula, glad to know it's only gazzillions of Hong Kong dollars to stay there. It looks great, as well as the itineray. Very high on my list, lest some chicken starts to sneeze and everyone runs for the hills. :eek:

• 1 month later...

Of course, if that gets too pricey, we like the hotel next to the Peninsula. It is called the Salisbury, and is also known as the YMCA. They have everything except a bar. Oh, and in case you wonder, we've only been on Crystal twice. Nancy

We've stayed at the YMCA Salisbury. It's certainly not the Peninsula but it's also not like any other YMCA. The room was very clean with Scandinavian style furniture, fresh fruit and tea kettle. Breakfast was enjoyable with Chinese dim sum and a dynamite view of the harbor and the Star Ferry - the same view as from the Peninsula. The staff were very helpful.:)

• 2 months later...

Considering boarding or disembarking at the Ocean Terminal, Penisula, YMCA, Marco Polo, Intercontinental, Kowloon Hotel, etc. are all good choices because they are right in the area. You can just walk over to any of these hotels. Four Seasons is brand new and wonderful, but it's on the Hong Kong side which you may need to get a taxi to go over there.

• 3 months later...

Our most favourite hotel in Hong Kong is the Intercontinental with a harbour view room. What more could anyone ask for! It is opposite the Peninsula but so much closer to the Harbour.

Also the pool area is lovely and it is very close to the Ocean Terminal and to the subway.

We will be returning there next April when we leave on the Nautica for Athens.

Jennie

• 5 years later...
We've stayed at the YMCA Salisbury. It's certainly not the Peninsula but it's also not like any other YMCA. The room was very clean with Scandinavian style furniture, fresh fruit and tea kettle. Breakfast was enjoyable with Chinese dim sum and a dynamite view of the harbor and the Star Ferry - the same view as from the Peninsula. The staff were very helpful.:)

I would also stay at the Salisbury Hotel. It is across the street from the Peninsula for about one third the price. You can stay at the Salisbury and then go over to the Peninsula and enjoy all their amenities.

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be there for a Crystal cruise to Beijing, and chose the Mandarin in Central. The reviews and personal recommendations were just too good to pass up. Plus our son lives closer to Central than Kowloon! Downside: Expensive. Upside: Not as expensive as a few others! Plus... we'll be there for four nights. And after a 16 hour flight, we opted for few hassles. In fact, will probably use the hotel's car service to transfer in.

That's good to know - thanks. A number of us are staying there prior to boarding the Celebrity Millennium in April.

Bev

We'll be there for a Crystal cruise to Beijing, and chose the Mandarin in Central. The reviews and personal recommendations were just too good to pass up. Plus our son lives closer to Central than Kowloon! Downside: Expensive. Upside: Not as expensive as a few others! Plus... we'll be there for four nights. And after a 16 hour flight, we opted for few hassles. In fact, will probably use the hotel's car service to transfer in.

The Mandarin Hotel Group is consistently one of the BEST hotel operators in the world. The Mandarin you are staying is the very first one and is the flagship. Enjoy :)

So, Hong Kong is the final destination in a Japan cruise we'll be on next year. We want to stay for a extra day or two. Hotel recommendations? We would like to stay somewhere in between the pier and the airport. Are cabs easily obtainable from hotel to the airport in Hong Kong?

Taxis are very easy to come by and the Porter at your hotel will just whistle one up for you.

We love the Intercontinental Hotel in Hong Kong. It is our favourite hotel of all and whenever we are in that city, we always book it. It is more expensive than a lot but it is well worth the money. If you do decide to stay there, book a harbour view room. The hotel is right on the harbour in Kowloon, opposite the Peninsula, and you can spend all day in your beautiful room if you want, just watching the comings and goings on that wonderful stretch of water. Also, the Laser Light show at night is right in front of you.

Jennie

So, Hong Kong is the final destination in a Japan cruise we'll be on next year. We want to stay for a extra day or two. Hotel recommendations? We would like to stay somewhere in between the pier and the airport. Are cabs easily obtainable from hotel to the airport in Hong Kong?

There is an Airport Express train that leaves from Hong Kong and Kowloon. There is a free shuttle from most major hotels to/from the stations. The stations also have airline check-in counters where you can check-in your luggage and get your boarding passes.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/transport/to-from-airport/airport-express.html

We want to stay for a extra day or two. Hotel recommendations? We would like to stay somewhere in between the pier and the airport. Are cabs easily obtainable from hotel to the airport in Hong Kong?

I agree 100% with Globaliser, between pier & airport is out on a limb, inconvenient to the sights & sounds of HK & quite possibly less convenient for HK to airport transfers.

Although public transport is exceptionally good & cheap, with limited time in HK you need to be in the heart. Either Tsim Sha Tsui (between the cruise terminal on the tip of the Kowloon peninsula & Nathan Road) or Central or the middle of Wan Chai (on the island).

My favourite is the Salisbury, an excellent 3-star hotel on the waterfront near Ocean cruise terminal (walk it, even with luggage), the Star Ferry terminal, the Avenue of the Stars, & Nathan Road shops and markets. Next door to the famous & expensive Peninsula Hotel. Harbour view rooms & family rooms available. Probably the best location & value in HK. But books out early, so don't delay.

JB :)

Archived