getting to know you, getting to know all about you..

jstducky

I grew up in Port Chester, NY a suburb of NYC.

I was at Georgetown school of foreign service back in the 1970's and later continued to as Russian Area Studies major... I have forgotten most of my russian but did get your transliteration Rev !

I have been married for 20 years to my husband who is a corportate attorney in Manhattan. Have three kids 16, 14 and 11. We live in Goldens Bridge.

Currently, I am the chairman of my town's planning board and travel any chance I get.

My husband Lou and I live in Richboro PA which is just north of Philadelphia. We just celebrated our 37th wedding anniversary last Friday. We have 2 children. Our daughter, Sheri is married to Michael and they have a 3 year old son named Ryan. That explains my name I am Ryan's Memom. They are anticipating the birth of their second child any day now. We also have a son, Robert.

Lou is a retired High School Science Department Head. He worked for the School District of Philadelphia for 39 years. I am a Licensed Psychologist in private practice. We both love cruising. It suits us very well. I was involved in two major automobile accidents that have left me with chronic pain, diminshed stamina and difficulty walking and standing. Lou loves to explore and is very tuned in to the natural world. Cruising suits both of us very well.

Our time at home, when we are not working (I work part time) has been in large part devoted to our family. We have been responsible for 3 of our elderly parents until recently. At this time, we only have one left with us. Our joy is our grandson, Ryan. He spends 2 days and one night a week with us. His sister will spend 3 days and 2 nights with us for her first 2 years as he did. Our daughter is a teacher and needs to work to help support her family and as a result we have our joy. This is a wonderful pastime. We become three years old 2 days a week. We do crafts, Play-Doh, Thomas the Tank Engine and we love The Wiggles. Don't get me started. Just let me say we have tickets to our third Wiggles' concert in August. We are all going. We have great seats. I got one of Murray's shirts for Ryan. Ok, you don't know who Murray is... We are groupies. We even watch the videos when Ryan is not here. (Shh, it's our secret vice) We live in a condo and are active in the association. I have the disagreeable job of president and Lou is a committee person. We also spend alot of time travelling around on day trips, time with friends and of course glommed to our computers. We are also avid readers. We both really like Harry Potter. (Shh, another secret vice) Unfortunatly, for me, there are also lots of doctor appointments, physical therapy and rest periods. Lou enjoys fishing and teaching anyone who is interested about the natural world, you know things like bugs. He is also interested in the SETI program. If it's science he likes it.

Well,I feel as though I'm writing a book, so I'll stop for now. I hope we can meet sometime and get to know each other. One of the best parts of my profession and one of the reasons I chose it is that I really get to know people.

Linda :) :) :)

My wife and I love the pizza at a place that is not too far from you – Vito and Nick’s at 84th and Pulaski. We were introduced to it by some people we met on our first cruise.

I was at Circle for two years – 67-68, and 68-69. I used to eat lunch on the east side of the center section of the Pier room.

Born and raised in Long Beach, CA (went to UCLA for 6 months) I am 49 turning the BIG 50 in a month and half. Moved to Cape Cod in 1978, met my husband (he is born and raised in Holyoke, MA) he is 51 years old and have been married for 24 years. We own a business here on the Cape and I am a flight attendant with AA based in Boston.

We have 3 grown children and 3 granddaughters. We have 2 siberian huskies, we enjoy golf, scuba diving, water skiing and just about anything we can do out side.

We have been on 18 cruises so far 11 of them on HAL. We cruise every November with little sis and her husband, then we cruise every Jan or Feb with very dear friends.

Debi

TVisitor- I was at UICC at the same time - used to sit on North side of Pier Room - learned to play bridge and double deck pinochle there! Do you remember a Humanities teacher named Gaylord Cox? Everyone took his class for an easy "A". He used to wear a purse...

Small world isn't it?

We're in our early fifties and will be celebrating our 29th anniversary in January on the Westerdam. No kids. We're originally from Los Angeles where we met in college at CSUN both Computer Science majors. We transferred to Northern Kentucky (across the river from Cincinnati) 10 years ago due to my husbands job and then moved north of Cincinnati last year to be closer to my job (drove 70 miles one way for 7 1/2 years). We took our first cruise for our 10th anniversary to Alaska (well we went that year not in Jan!) and were hooked. We went back for our 20th and are looking forward to going again for our 30th in 2006. In between we've done 10 other cruises and have two more booked.

Fun to read about everyone! Originally from Connecticut's "Quiet Corner", moved to NYC to become an actress. Didn't happen :) and I lived and worked there for 20 years before marrying DH. Cruising is without a doubt our favorite vacation. We honeymooned on a Royal Viking cruise in the Mediterranean and have enjoyed it ever since cruising from French Polynesia to the Caribbean.

Moved here to sunny West Palm Beach, FL, in 2000 and while we sure don't miss shovelling all that snow, I do miss the rolling hills of New England. Still, it's nice to be able to practically hop onboard our favorite ships and you can't beat our winters.

My husband still trudges off to work each day, but I'm happily retired and enjoying one of the best lifestyles on earth.

hehehe, I found you!

Do i have to tell you where i'm from? I mean, c'mon lady...i'm on the same cruise as you and have known you for 10 years! :p

hey leslie!

glad to see i finally convinced you to join cruise critic!

can't wait for our upcoming cruise... we're finally down to the single digits! :D

I am 48 years old.

Born in Louisiana. Military brat.

Teen years grew up in Dallas, Texas area.

Since 1980 I have lived in Southern California.

For the last 8+ years I have lived in West Los Angeles between Venice Beach and Santa Monica.

First ship I went on was a crossing at the age of 6 on the Queen Mary. Thanks to my relatives at a young age I got hooked on ships. Been on 60+ now and currently have 2 cruises stacked looking for a third.

I consider myself very fortuanate

Steve Hayes

ok so i started this thread over on the RCI board last week, and seeing as I only frequent the RCI board the HAL board, I thought I'd try it over here as well....

===========================================================

ok so maybe not we don't want to know quite all about you... i think that would be too much information! :o

but lets just start with, where are you from?

i'm from yorba linda, ca (home of richard nixon!), neighboring city to Anaheim and the Happiest Place on Earth (my former employer for 2 years!)

i currently live in west los angeles though after having graduated from UCLA (best school in the world!) 3 years ago!

where is everyone else from?

• 2 weeks later...

1. Born in Wheeling, W.Va. and grew up in West Alexander,Penna.

2. Joined the USAF & after basic training of 16wks. sent to Kansas City for cabin crew training.

3. Cabin crew (Purser) for SAMS Special Air Missions. This is what carries the Different Heads of State, President Ect. "VVIP" While in AF, I took two years of business at University of Maryland.

4. Flew two yrs with TWA

5. Partner and I took over Duty Free Shops at YYZ.

6. Retired at 49 and just travel. Now seventeen times around the world.

7. Have been with my partner now since 1965.

8. Enjoy life and take each day as it comes.

Hi:) I am Lois, 46, divorced for almost 20 years...no kids.

Been in Jacksonville since 1965. I work for a paperwholesaler in the credit/billing/accounts receivable dept and have been with the company almost 14 years.

Took my first cruise in the mid 80s...after my divorce...I think it was on THE BIG RED BOAT:confused: .

Didn't cruise again till 1992...that was for my parent's 50th Anniversary....they took my sisters and their hubbys and myself on the Carnival "CARNIVALE" to celebrate on a 3 night cruise.

For some reason I took an 11 year hiatus from cruising....have no earthly idea why:eek: .

I started cruising again last year....May 2003 on the CENTURY:D And now I am hooked! I then went on the Sovereign of The Seas in July 2004 for a 3 nighter (won't be doing that ship again)....

Jan 2004 went back on Century...March 2004 went on Mercury:)

Now I am giving HAL a try.....and its nice meeting everyone from these boards!

Hi, I missed this thread when it was started as I was out of the country, so here goes....Iwas born in Newstead England (home of Lord Byron the poet) moved to Nottingham when I was 3. Married to Joe who is from Newark Ohio when he was in the USAF stationed in England. He retired from the AF in 1974, retired from private industry then went back to work for the DOD where he retired permanently in 1996. I stayed at home to raise our 4 children then went back to work for the Ohio State University from where I retired after 23 years, in 1997. We have 4 children, 3 of whom served in the USAF Our daughter resigned her commission to follow a career in private industry, we have one son, a MSGT stationed in the UK and one son, a Lt. Col. stationed in S. Korea. We have 11 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren but I`m still much too young to be this old! Enjoy travelling, take 4 or 5 trips out of the country each year as well as 3 or 4 cruises. Retirement is great!!!.....jean

We live about 15 minutes SW of Palm City, Florida and about 30 minutes W of West Palm Beach. If you look at a weather map of Florida that shows a big lake, we are under the green rain blob between the lake and the ocean to the east.

We've lived in Florida for 15 years, moving here from just north of Chicago in 1989. DH had a graphic design studio and I had a store front, full service travel agency. Our travel agency, then and now, concentrated on group cruises. Eventually our group cruises literally took over our business and we stopped promoting anything except cruises. The retail agency still lives on in Fox Lake, Illinois, though under a new name.

I'm originally from West Lafayette, Indiana where I graduated from Purdue University in 1966.

DH and I have two grown sons and 2 grandchildren. We are also blessed to still have my parents with us. They are ages 94 and 92.

hi Jazz....wow, that is great about your parents:D I thought I was doing well....my Dad will be 83 on July 29th!

Lost Mom in 1993....4 months after that 50th Anniversary cruise.....

You are a lucky gal for sure!:)

What a great thread!

I was born & raised in the suburbs of L.A. I met DH in 1985, while he was stationed at MCAS El Toro in Southern California. After 10+ yrs in the Marine Corp., he decided it was time to go back home to Colorado and we moved here in 1989.

DH is a journeyman electrician, employed at Colorado's largest refinery & I am the Facilities Manager for an international financial services provider; luckily my work schedule is very flexible - both DH & I are both off on Friday's (which he spends golfing all summer long!)

We have two children (15 & 11) who have cruised with us several times, and I have an older son (24) who has cruised with us once.

We took our first cruise together on the Veendam in 1999 and have cruised regularly ever since. Our goal is to try & retire early and take a World Voyage!

I'm game too. I live in the "suburbs" of Asheville, NC but I'm originally from Cambridge on the Eastern Shore of Maryland (my Dad did serve in the MD State Legislature with Spiro Agnew..sorry Jstducky, that's my only Watergate connection.) I'm 36 years old, have been married 14 years and have a twelve (going on twenty) year old daughter. We wemt on our first cruise last year (Carnival Inspiration). We went on the Zuiderdam in June and we're planning a Thanksgiving cruise on the Zaandam. We love HAL! These boards are great resources, glad I found y'all!

I'm originally from Connecticut (about 2 miles south of Vicar) and am a media professional. That means I've moved around a lot, working at lots of radio stations and one newspaper in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Indiana and Pennsylvania. I am currently in my 47th year doing radio and, for the last 24 years, have also been a music columnist for the local newspaper, as well as its former arts critic for seven years.

I also teach speech part-time at a local college when they have more sections than teachers (that's when they call in their stable of regulars from the local radio and tv stations, especially for the first semester).

13 cruises on HAL. Oct 20 will be #14. B2B next June/July will be #15, or #16, depending on how you count the second part of a B2B (129 sea days lifetime).

TOMC

You worked at WICC??????

Were you there in the days of Big Al Warren, Jerry Knight, Tiny Markle and Walt Devanas?

Those are the guys I remember when I was kid (I am 37)

Wasn't Bob Crane (Hogans Heroes) on WICC? (Although I think that was much earlier) or maybe he was on WNAB.

I'm originally from Eastern Kansas and of course, a KU Jayhawker. I moved to Colorado where I met and married my husband (both moves the smartest ones in my life).

I retired as a Certified Project Manager about 3 years ago. My husband has retired at least 3 times that I remember but I think this time it's going to stick!

We currently live in Highlands Ranch, Colorado which is just south of Denver. We have 2 grown kids and 1 grandchild who is just 18 months old.

Oh, and my husband says I love to travel so much that I must have 'wheels for feet.'

Vicar

All those guys came long after I left, 43 years ago. Bob Crane went to KNX to be a top dj there and Ray Carroll followed him. Just after Ray left for WNAB, I joined along with Bill Coddaire, the morning man. Frank Delfino and Harry Downie were the main daytime dj's.

Archived