Dining with the Captain

This has been discussed a lot at these threads. Some have stated that they were told they were picked because they looked like a happy easy-going group. Others have been invited because they were Diamond Plus Crown & Anchor members. Certainly the most expensive suites get an invite (Royal, Presidential, etc). It also helps if you've done something famous or wonderful, like wrote a book, saved a family from a burning building etc. Sometimes the Loyalty Ambassador chooses, sometimes the Maitre 'D, usually the Social Hostess does it, I'm not sure if the CD gets to choose.

We have been on 4 RCCL cruises and twice ate with the Capt. First time we asked the dining room mgr to see if the Capt could stop by and say hello to my elderly mother on his way from the dining room, which he did and subsiquently had an invite to his table later in the week. Second time we were on board for an event that allowed us to chat it up with a variety of folks who were RCCL staff. Again, we were invited to dine with the Capt later in the week, along with some of the staff. The invitation is issued via a formal note that is delivered to your cabin, asking that you reply to his social director. At each dinner there were a variety of folks from many walks of life - some old, some young, single and couples. Yes, both times there were cruisers invited that had sailed on every ship, including the Ark, but really no rhyme or reason. The instructions for the dinner are very exact, so it can perhaps be considered intimidating, however both invitations were a nice surprise to an already wonderful trip, which we very much enjoyed.

While we were on our second cruise last Nov. on the Serenade we were invited to dine with the Captain.

He only ate in the dining room twice the whole week. First time with the late seating on the first formal night and the second formal night with the early seating.

Our head waiter was from Portugal and my husbands great grandfather was too.... so we talked at great length about Portugal and other travels. He would come by every night and chat for half an hour.... very nice guy. Anyway the night before the second formal night he asks if we would like to dine with the Capt. - an invite was delivered to our room the next morning. Our best friends who were traveling with us in the next cabin also were invited.... it was a highlight of my cruise (which was to celebrate our 25th anniversary a few months before).

So it doesnt matter if you have cruised alot - this was only our second

or if you are in the expensive suites - we were in a regular balcony.

The other 3 couples (total of 11 of us including captain) were all much younger than us (we are mid to late 40's) and included another attorney (my dh is one) and his wife, a young gentleman in the import business and his wife, and the third I forget what he did. But none of us had wrote a book, or saved a family from a burning building ?? We are just friendly people from Texas :D

Your experience TexanCruzer is what I was trying to convey. You chat up the right people. I've never experienced this wonderful treat, I was just recalling what others had posted elsewhere throughout this message board. Believe me, I ain't running into no burning building to save anybody just to have a shot at dining with the captain!

We always cruise with another couple who we have been friends with us for years. We had done 8 rccl cruises as of last Oct when the 4 of us were invited to dine with the Capt. There was only 1 other couple at the table, the rest were his employees. We had the best time and were invited to a private party later that week in the "Manager of Hotels " suite. What a treat that was as there were only a total of 12 people at the party. We have no idea why we were picked, we do get JS rooms, but other than that we really dont know. Our head waiter that we usually had at dinner in the dining room said it sometimes comes from corporate. My husband joked that it was "because he and Ed (our friend) came on board with a tux in their suitcase" :D Our head waiter also told us that he was asked "what kind of people were we, what were we like, etc". So I guess they check you out somehow. Hope to do it again, we had a fun time on.

Alright - 4 cruises and never ate with the Captain. I would LOVE to eat with the captain. Hmmm... *plotting strategy*... Keep the ideas coming...

Maybe if I'm a good little Cruise Critic poster... that will help? hee hee...

#1 thing maybe working against me - I usually ALWAYS get interior rooms. I sleep better and we choose to spend our money elsewhere on the vacation (side trips, souvies, next cruise...)

When we had our picture taken with Captain Bang, we mentioned we had sailed with him in 93 on the Song of Norway thru the Panama Canal and in 94 on the Monarch and we enjoyed his wife's posting on CC. He asked us our cabin number. The next night we were in the Concierge Lounge and he came in and talked to us for about 1/2 hour. He said he had mislaid our cabin # and got it again.

That's how we got invited.

There was a young couple on their first cruise at the table. They said they had no idea how they got invited.

There's probably as many reasons for an invite as there are cruises.

We had been invited twice before. Once in 88 when one of our tablemates took pictures of a ship that hit us and again in 2000 when we did back to back cruises to Hawaii. But, as there was very bad weather both those times, the captain canceled the dinner. But, we finally got to really dine with Captain Bang.

On our first cruise on Celebrity, we took our daughter and son in law to Bermuda on the Zenith. While we were getting our boarding passes, DD started chatting and asking questions of ( we later found out) one of the social directors)....I think she won her over and they received the engraved invitation for dinner with the captain. My DH was miffed to say the least.....I just thought it was a wonderful treat for them as they are a fantasticly interesting couple and really quite good looking, if I do say so myself. They enjoyed every minute as well as the flowing wine with each course.....( which I would not have enjoyed as much)

Having been on 8 cruises now, I think our chances are slim to none for an invitation, but we enjoy every experience we get with any of the staff.

I've tried just about everything I know to get seated at the Captain's table. I consider myself a pretty creative, persistent individual with dozens of cruises under my belt. No such luck.

Ultimately it is hopeless for me. The terms of my restraining order say that I have to stay 200 feet from the Captain at all times and the table is only 12 feet in diameter. The math just never works out. :mad:

We have dined with the Captain on 4 different cruises (3 cruise lines) but have never figured how they decide who to invite. But, it brings to mind an old cruise story. It seems there was this elegant lady cruising on one of the old great Cunard ships....and alas she was approached by the Maitre'd who asked if she would like to dine with the Captain. She replies, "Sir, I never dine with the hired help!"

Hank

We have dined with the Captain on 4 different cruises (3 cruise lines) but have never figured how they decide who to invite. But, it brings to mind an old cruise story. It seems there was this elegant lady cruising on one of the old great Cunard ships....and alas she was approached by the Maitre'd who asked if she would like to dine with the Captain. She replies, "Sir, I never dine with the hired help!"

Hank

Great line.....and has been used many times before. It is, indeed, an honor to dine with most captains, as most are extremely intelligent, and have worked hard to get to the top.

Rick

I've tried just about everything I know to get seated at the Captain's table. I consider myself a pretty creative, persistent individual with dozens of cruises under my belt. No such luck.

Ultimately it is hopeless for me. The terms of my restraining order say that I have to stay 200 feet from the Captain at all times and the table is only 12 feet in diameter. The math just never works out. :mad:

So THAT'S how you always get those AFT cabins, even when they are already booked.;)

We were invited to dine with Capt. Bang & his wife on the Navigator. I'm sure it was because he was at our meet & mingle party. When we were visiting with him he asked us for our names & cabin #. The next day choc. covered strawberries & champagne delivered to our cabin. We couldn't believe our good fortune, but the next day we received a written invitation to dine with him on the 2nd formal nite. It was a special night and we had a wonderful group at the table, with interesting conversation (and very good wine too.)

So THAT'S how you always get those AFT cabins, even when they are already booked.;)

Some people get a little creeped out when I rappel down from the Windjammer into their aft cabin and snap a few photos. I always introduce myself as Peter Parker, but that is never enough to stop the "drama queens" from running out into the passageways screaming (usually leaving their wives behind in the suite). Anyway, I just help myself to some of the smuggled booze and take some crime scene shots (not photos). If that doesn't work, I tell them they need to hurry up because RCI is actually picking up towels on chairs by the pool deck in an experiment in rules enforcement. That always gets them to abandon the suite!

My FIL was asked to dine with the Captain while on the Rhapsody two years ago. I couldn't believe he actually turned the invite down :eek: He explained that he came to spend time with his family, and that's what he was going to do!?!?! If it had been me, you could bet I'd have dumped the family for one night to dine with the Captain ;) I can eat with family ANY time :rolleyes:

lol

A~

How does RCCL decide who dines with the Captain? Is it automatically guests who have cruised a lot in the past? Or those in the largest suites? Just curious!

They figure out if you are a member of Cruise Critic. Then they review all of your posts to see if you have ever said anything negative about RCCL. If you have, you're eliminated....:rolleyes:

They figure out if you are a member of Cruise Critic. Then they review all of your posts to see if you have ever said anything negative about RCCL. If you have, you're eliminated....:rolleyes:

Thanks Jerry for putting a smile on my face this morning!!!!:D

Rick

I love these stories. I doubt I will ever be invited (believe it or not I get shy in some social situations), but it sure is fun to read about.

Niedel,

The captain doesn't care what cabin your in and they are very easy to talk to since they have been doing it for years. They will keep up the conversation.

Tj

Archived