Problem with Hal Reps Regarding Documents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (new thread title)

QueenYaYah

Hello everyone. As you all are probably aware, I am the one that keeps asking if anyone has gotten their docs for the 6-17-06 sailing. As of today DH and I still don't have our cruise documents for the 6-17-2006 sailing on the Zuiderdam.

For the past month HAL reps have done NOTHING but give me the run around, a bunch of lies and empty promises!!!!! For example, I've been told that HAL is having computer problems (won't that be nice to blame all our business problems on the computer for long extended periods of time), air confirmation problems, employees work overloaded etc. But the best one (which I have been told for the last 2+ weeks), we will have your documents to you in 4 business days! HAHAHAHAHAHA, I've heard that same song and dance since May 18th. I guess that HAL is telling the reps to say and promise anything just to get the customer off the phone all the while knowing that they will send documents when and if they d***m well please!

They have given DH and I each $50.00 shipboard credit. At this point the $100.00 "shipboard credit" is just an insult - You can't spend something that you don't have access to.

This is my 1st time to sail with HAL based on glowing recommendations by past cruisers saying what "wonderful" service HAL has. I feel like I'm being held hostage.

Sorry for the long post, but just had to let others know what I'm being told and promised and see if anyone else is having these problems!!!!!!!!!!!

My 25th wedding anniversary cruise is looking less and less likely as the days go by.

My 25th wedding anniversary cruise is looking less and less likely as the days go by.

You DON'T need docs to take your cruise. :) Take your confirmation with your booking number and your ID and you will get on the ship. The porters have luggage tags you can fill out at the terminal when you give them your bags.

This is not the first time pax have left home without their docs, forgot them, docs got lost in the mail, or were late for whatever reason. They are all prepared for that at check-in.

I am sorry you are having such problems, but you mention that you are dealing with HAL directly, did you book through a TA? If so, why isn't he/she dealing with this problem? In a situation such as this, this is where a TA is worth their weight in gold.

Don't worry, my cousin's TA mailed her documents to her summer home address instead of her winter home address for a cruise in March, she never had her documents before her cruise. Not to worry, they did have a set at the pier when she arrived. I hope this is what will happen for you and you have a wonderful cruise. HAL has never let me down yet, I hope it won't for you either.

:o Travel docs are usually shipped to be in your hands two weeks prior to departure. We're sailing to Alaska on 6/16 and just received our docs yesterday. It sounds as though you booked directly with HAL. If you did, your right to be upset, they've had just a whole mess of problems with their computer system lately. If you used a travel agent, contact them and let them do your bidding. That said, so long as you have your booking number and complete the online paperwork from the HAL website, you can get your boarding passes done and get on the boat with little or no difficulty. If your travel plans include air travel booked through HAL, so long as you know your basic flight information you should be able to call the airline and confirm that all is well. Should you have to do all of this? Absolutely not. Is it a good idea to do it anyway? Probably so.:o

As a previous poster stated, you do not need your docs for sailing. They will be able to pull your res up by conf. number. I know you are upset, but really, this is not a problem at all. Unfortunatly HAL does have computer problems, and they do last...why? I really don't know. This problem is not only HAL's...if you read other posts for other cruiselines, they all have doc problems. Your TA should be the one fighting for you. They will get much farther than the public calling in.

Relax and you will have a wonderful cruise!

everything thru HAL. Air, airport/hotel/hotel/pier transfers, hotel pre and post in Vancouver (downtown), and cruise myself directly thru HAL.

And yes, I do have the air confirmed with the airlines. However, I don't have anything to give to transfer agent and I don't (and can't get the info out of the HAL reps) even know for sure which hotel we will be staying in. We are "supposed" to be booked in the Fairmont Waterfront.

So, as you can see I don't have a TA to fight for me. But, Texas gals are used to taking care of things ourselves.

I have never in all my past cruises with RCCL had any problems getting my documents!

Geez - I know what an incredible pain it is when you can't get a straight answer from a company!

The good news is that even if your tickets don't arrive in time before your pre-cruise departure - HAL will board you without tickets as long as they show you have a confirmed & paid-in-full reservation!

This is what I did when I added a person to my stateroom a couple weeks before the sailing date - they told me that they'd have tickets waiting at the pier for my friend and it ended up working out perfectly well.

I certainly don't approve of a company giving folks the runaround - that just ticks me off too - but I hope you'll have confidence that the anniversary vacation you've paid for won't be lost for lack of a few pieces of paper and that the rest of your experience will go much more smoothly.

Have you tried checking in online? This would help.

Online Registration Welcome! For your convenience, you may now complete your immigration form online. Once you complete all sections of the Immigration Questionnaire, you can enjoy Express Check-In.

Each individual guest must submit a completed Immigration Questionnaire and provide proof of citizenship to travel with Holland America Line. Your identification and address information is required in many jurisdictions. If you begin the process and cannot finish due to insufficient disembarkation information, you may return to complete it at a later time. You may submit the completed information up to 5pm the day prior to sailing.

Once the complete information has been submitted, print your “Express Boarding Pass.” Upon arrival at the pier, you will go to a special line for Express Check-In where your information will be verified and you will be given your onboard key card.

It’s that simple! In addition to your Express Boarding Pass, remember to bring with you your appropriate identification and your cruise documents that contain your

How have you been communicating with HAL? Via e-mail? If so print out copies of all of them as further proof of the assurances. If not, start using email today, if not sooner.

In addition, and not as an alternative, call HAL and ask them to send you (by fax if possible) a summary of all flight and lodging details.

If HAL declines, escalate the call to a Supervisor or higher.

You will need hard copies of HAL's representations if you are denied boarding at the airport or the ship, and/or if you are denied lodging.

Here's a complete HAL Contact List.

Brian,

Thanks for the sympathy. If you knew me you'd know that I'm not one that likes to have any loose ends left hanging. That said, DH and I are looking forward to spending our 25th anniversary floating thru Glacier Bay! And even though it seems that I'm worrying about "paper" it's the run around that is what is most frustrating!!!!!!! I handle all the accounting and PR for a local construction company and we would NEVER dream of leaving a customer hanging or guessing. I suppose that that's the difference between a "small" company and a big corporation. If this is what it takes to be "big" we'll just stay small.

I'm on the phone again with HAL and speaking with a very helpful gentleman by the name of Sean (in the docs hotline dept)(he is normally a cust serv rep for TA's).

Sean was very understanding and patient. He applied an additional shipboard credit, found out what hotel we are staying at, called the hotel directly to get an answer to one of my questions, emailed another detailed confirmation and hotel fact sheet and assured me that he would personally take my doc status to his supervisor and they would try their best to have the docs ovenighted (hopefully today). We will see - I feel a little better after talking to Sean. He even gave me some tips and must sees while in Vancouver.

Ivtotrvl1,

Yes, I have already completed the online documentation and printed out the express check-in info.

Walt, no, I've been calling each day and I've kept a list of names. However, according to Sean (in the docs hotline) there is not as complete and detailed a record on their end. I'll take your advice and email from now on. Sean suggested that I check back with them again late this afternoon or first thing in the am. He felt like at that time I would see shipment info. We can only hope.

Thanks for all your responses!

Sean was very understanding and patient. He applied an additional shipboard credit, found out what hotel we are staying at, called the hotel directly to get an answer to one of my questions, emailed another detailed confirmation and hotel fact sheet and assured me that he would personally take my doc status to his supervisor and they would try their best to have the docs ovenighted (hopefully today). We will see - I feel a little better after talking to Sean. He even gave me some tips and must sees while in Vancouver.

I'm glad someone is answering your concerns. I hope you will let us know when you get your documents. And I also hope the stress will not ruin your trip. Alaska is beautiful and seeing it on a HAL ship is the best!

Robin

For our Oosterdam cruise on April 15, we received our docs on April 8, exactly one week before departure. The new computer system took over for all cruises departing on or after April 14, so we were among the first.

My TA was told that the air scheduling department was so overloaded, that they actually turned off their incoming phone calls for a day, so that they could try to catch up.

Ours worked out in the end, but I was beginning to get a little worried. For past cruises, from HAL and Carnival, I've always had my docs at least two weeks in advance.

Paul Noble

Brian,

Thanks for the sympathy. If you knew me you'd know that I'm not one that likes to have any loose ends left hanging. That said, DH and I are looking forward to spending our 25th anniversary floating thru Glacier Bay! And even though it seems that I'm worrying about "paper" it's the run around that is what is most frustrating!!!!!!! I handle all the accounting and PR for a local construction company and we would NEVER dream of leaving a customer hanging or guessing. I suppose that that's the difference between a "small" company and a big corporation. If this is what it takes to be "big" we'll just stay small.

I'm on the phone again with HAL and speaking with a very helpful gentleman by the name of Sean (in the docs hotline dept)(he is normally a cust serv rep for TA's).

I'm thrilled that you're being taken care of properly now!

Be sure to come back and let us know how it all works out - and let us know how your cruise is for you!

I'm glad you are making progress. i am sure everything will work out, but i know you don't need the stress!

One point on your thread title....I'm willing to bet none of the people you spoke to were intentionally lying..I think they were just CLUELESS.

Ivtotrvl1,

Yes, I have already completed the online documentation and printed out the express check-in info.

Walt, no, I've been calling each day and I've kept a list of names. However, according to Sean (in the docs hotline) there is not as complete and detailed a record on their end. I'll take your advice and email from now on. Sean suggested that I check back with them again late this afternoon or first thing in the am. He felt like at that time I would see shipment info. We can only hope.

Thanks for all your responses!

Queenyayah,

i am a travel agent and have 4 books for the next 2 weeks for clients to alaska and have had major issues getting the docs. trust me in saying holland america is working very hard to get them all out to the clients.

Thanks for all the posts!

And yes, I also think that my original title post is now in hindsight a little harsh. So, if anyone can tell me if there is a way to edit my title, I'd like to do so.

Thanks for all your support!

You have reason to be upset! My advise would have been to ask to talk to a supervisor. Great to hear that things are moving in the right direction. One employee can make or break your relationship with a company! Happy anniversary and have an awesome cruise!

I don't understand HAL's response? If HAL has puter problems that prevent the issuance of docs, then how come we got ours yesterday for 7/9/06 Alaska sailing? Doesn't make sense to me!??? :confused:

Sorry, Queen that you had such poor customer service from HAL. Like you, I'm accustomed to giving excellent customer service & get negative (although internally, but also with my money!) towards a company that treats me with less than adequate service - adequate I will accept without hard feelings, but feel any company worth its salt should give better than adequate. At least HAL redeemed themselves with the ship credit & that great employee, but I realize that did not help you while going thru the negative part. I hope you will write a letter to the corp office & praise that employee extensively.

Hope I see your post tonite or in a.m. that you got your docs!! Have a great time. Be sure to take lots of pictures with each of you in them (& some with both of you taken by others - with your camera, of course) so you can fondly renew the memories over & over!:)

I, too, am disappointed in HAL. They do not seem to want to let me know air reservations, suggest that I get them myself, and when I do I am told that the exhorbitant $800 + insurance will not cover it if I have to cancel, no documents, no bill, refuse to work with my local travel agent, yada yada. I, too, am joining because of glowing reports from soon-to-be shipmate. HAL ain't what it used to be !!!

I don't understand HAL's response? If HAL has puter problems that prevent the issuance of docs, then how come we got ours yesterday for 7/9/06 Alaska sailing? Doesn't make sense to me!??? :confused:

That is not the way things work in the computer world. Because you received your docs, does not mean the computer system doesn't have problems.

Anything can cause a burp ! If your name begins with R, maybe it can't print them. If a cruise is for a certain date, maybe it can't print them. If your reservation number begins with SA maybe it can't print them. The system may say they issued them but it didn't. There are many, many different reasons that something doesn't work correctly on a computer.

The 'new' program is not really new but the same one Princess has been using. One would think all Hal has to do is run it and it should work but that is not how things work in the real world. Converting one system to another is not always a simple task. For example when a bank buys new programs, it can take months to get it converted. In the case of a bank they do not actually run it live but do some parallel running after things are set up. This ususally catches most problems, but even when the bank starts using it , things can still go wrong.

Gizmo, sounds like you've been thru many bank conversions. I too am a past "banker" and have experienced the dreaded change over. I understand that there is sometimes no rhyme or reason to the computer burps.

However, I think that you missed my point. I understand computer problems, I am upset with the run around and double talk that I've been getting from HAL reps. We are scheduled to fly out on Friday 6-16-2006 at 7:45 am from Dallas, Texas (approx. 3 hours from our home). I've already checked the DHL website this morning and guess what? Docs were NOT shipped out yesterday for delivery today. So based on that, HAL has exactly 3 business days to get the docs shipped overnight so that we have them before we leave.

Archived