June in Alaska

mtjlr

Thinking about Alaska for June 2007, but have heard differing opinions on the weather at that time. Any input by anyone who has gone in June? Thanks

June July and Aug are your best months. The next 7 days the temp will be in the 70's and 80's. Everytime I have been to Alaska including last Sept, the weather has been hot on at least 1 day (over 80). Other times, I have had rain and temps in the 40's

See http://www.komotv.com/weather/cruise_weather.asp

Honestly, there are no best months because it all depends what you enjoy in terms of the weather. I have been to Alaska three different times and just like anywhere else weather will vary from year to year. Pick a time for travel whichi is best for you and go with that. Yes, June will likely be fine so if that's what you are thinking of go with that.

Keith

I have heard, from people that have been to Alaska in June, that it is muddy and dirty at that time of the year due to all the melting snow. Is there any truth to this rumor? :confused:

I have heard, from people that have been to Alaska in June, that it is muddy and dirty at that time of the year due to all the melting snow. Is there any truth to this rumor? :confused:

Visited late May / early June this year, early June last year... if it was muddy and dirty compared to other times, it sure was beautiful mud and dirt!;)

Actually, the path above the Mt. Roberts tram was muddy from not only snow melt, but rain, and parts of the trail were still snow covered this year (May 23), but that in no way detracts from the enjoyment or beauty. We had fun tromping over snow, and then calling home just to find out it's nearly 100F here.

The whole area, SE especially, is rainforest... can't imagine the snow melt makes a huge difference in adding much mud, especially places accessible to cruise passengers. It's simply a breathtaking state, and I think it would be any time of the year.:)

KCfan, You're welcome. I hope you get some replies on your question from others who've traveled Alaska more extensively.

By the way, weather overall was fabulous both times, and the ports which were rainly last year were dry this year, and vice versa, for us. Rain sure does limit some spectacular views, but it also adds an aura of mystery... beautiful in and of itself.

We've cruised Alaska in mid-May, late-May, early June and July. Had good days and rain in all cases. Prices are better earlier in the season. Just pack layers, take an umbrella and light rain parka and enjoy!

Thanks to all for the replies. It has been very helpful. We still haven't decided on a date for sure, but are giving June serious thought. It is so helpful to hear from those who have been there at that time.

Thanks again!!

Archived