91 year old cruiser.....

F11

Cruising all my life-about 350 cruises-but never cruised HAL-am I age appropriate,or is this ship for younger ones?I can do without loads of kids....

I too hope to be cruising at your young age! I had the honor to be on the Volendam last February with a similar cruiser who had over 900 days on HAL. By the way, of a full ship of 1,400 or so passengers there were only 3 children on the ship.....a baby, an 6-7 year old girl, and a teenage boy of about 14-15. I think an R or S class HAL ship on a 10-day or longer cruise would not have a lot of children.....assuming it was not Spring Break time or during the Christmas/New Year holidays.

I hope I still am able to cruise at your young age. I think you will enjoy one of HAL's R or S class ships. Enjoy!!!!

My dad is 91 as well ... and in great health and physical shape. I only wish I could get him to cruise, but he says he "doesn't want to be trapped on some damned boat" and I can't say anything to convince him that the last thing he will feel is trapped on a nice large cruise ship. :(

Blue skies!

--rita

Folks, F11 is a prankster. Engage him/her/whatever at your own risk.:D

He or she may be a prankster but I looked at the profile and he/she was born in 1915 so I really think he/she is that old. But hey what do I know.

Kathy

Hi Mrs. Mirolla:

If you read his/her posts, you will see that F11 is alternately married to a 55 year old lady, has an 85 year old partner, and has been a skinny dipping female. He/she also plans on doing many, many cruises on several different cruiselines.:) A person of many talents. And yes, I spend WAY too much time on these boards, when I could be doing something useful like laundry, bills, housecleaning, and cooking.:D

Mrs. Mirolla, I enjoyed your recent Maasdam review, by the way:)

Hi Mrs. Mirolla:

If you read his/her posts, you will see that F11 is alternately married to a 55 year old lady, has an 85 year old partner, and has been a skinny dipping female. He/she also plans on doing many, many cruises on several different cruiselines.:) A person of many talents. And yes, I spend WAY too much time on these boards, when I could be doing something useful like laundry, bills, housecleaning, and cooking.:D

Mrs. Mirolla, I enjoyed your recent Maasdam review, by the way:)

Very impressive MAM!;)

I was thinking of a long cruise-60 plus days-any doctors on board?What cruises would they be?

I'm a J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence. Does that make you more comfortable?

With 350 cruises under your androgynous belt, maybe you would like to tell us which cruise line you think is the best. Let us hear about your wise old thoughts sir/madam.

I have also seen F11 post different sayings on various boards.

PS - we did have a 93 year man cruise with us a couple of times.

On the Ryndam in Nov 2005 we had a couple who celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary - he was 91 - don't know her age. And at the Mariner's party it was announced that the couple had over 1500 days - HAL had lost track of some of their cruises.

They honeymooned on a HAL ship 50 years ago.

You should have seen the cake that was made special for them. Their table was just a couple of tables away from ours. It was a 2 layer tiered cake with roses all over it and a HUGE chocolate HAL symbol on top.

Two chairs were put right up front for them at the Mariner's Party.

1500 days? WOW!! How I'd love to reach that milestone.

LOL ... I doubt I'll EVER reach that milestone ... even if I live to be a hundred. That's a lot of cruisin' ... and a whole lot of money. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have also seen F11 post different sayings on various boards.

PS - we did have a 93 year man cruise with us a couple of times.

I met an elderly couple on my Amsterdam cruise in January. I think they were both pushing 90. The wife told me that they've only sailed HAL for maybe ten years. They used to enjoy freighter cruises, but apparently at a certain age you can't take them anymore?

Never heard of that, but that's what she claimed. She said when they were younger, they almost exclusively did freighter cruising ... especially after her husband retired. But, now they were "stuck" with HAL. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Freighter cruising, while nowhere near as popular as what we do, is not a rare thing. Many of those ships have provision for a few paying pax, although the amenities aren't quite what we are used to. But for those who liket that style of travel, it's really neat.

Speaking of age, my mother had a lot of crepe-hanging friends who used to say she shouldn't be traveling "at your age" (a phrase she absolutely hated). On her next cruise, she had a tablemate who was a 95-year-old widow and had been everywhere on ships.

Also speaking of age, about 5-8 years ago, there was a 96-year-old lady about two hours away whose mother died. Yeah. Really. The old lady was in the Guiness Book of World Records.

1500 days? WOW!! How I'd love to reach that milestone.
For everybody's information, there is an award level above the 700 day level. It is for 1400 days and is known as the President's award. There is no special medalian or pin for this level. On my last cruise which was 62 days last fall on the Amsterdam Several people were presented that level award with more than 1400 days. One couple who I have seen on previous cruise's were from England and bore the title "Sir and Lady XXXXX" Of course we had the ever present Dolly Smith on board. Dolly has over 5000 days and cruise's on HAL 10 months a year. Unlike F11 this is a factual update.

A few years back we were on a cruise where a gentleman was celebrating his 100th birthday. A long-time Mariner, he was given special recognition at the Mariner's party. He seemed to be pretty sharp and healthy and looked quite dapper in his tuxedo. When I stopped after the party to wish him a happy birthday, I received a firm handshake and a smile. I can't even imagine myself making it that far!

Archived