Help needed - DT Miami trying Priceline

Hallesmom

Hi! I have some questions -

Me, DH and 10yo dd will need a hotel room for one night. We are flying into Miami 1/12/07 at dinner time, and will need to eat dinner (a place like Chili's - nothing fancy, no seafood), swim, sleep, then have breakfast and head to the ship. We are thinking we would like to stay in the Downtown area just to make things easier and since we don't need a nightlife.

I have never used Priceline before but Coleen (thank you!!) gave me the basics :) I have tried:

4* Downtown $105, $115, $125 - all denied.

3* Downtown $80, $90 - all denied.

Anyone have any ideas on if I should just keep going up in $10's or is this a weekend where I may not get anything for my bidding? We'd love to spend $160 or less (before taxes) on the room.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

I am staying at the Hyatt Regency downtown for $60 pre cruise this summer. You should be able to easily get a nice hotel for what you are willing to pay. I think you just need to learn how to use priceline more efficiently ie free rebids and permutation bidding etc. Look up priceline message board on the net and you'll get a wealth on information. I never ever pay more than $60 as my own personal rule. Good luck!

Although this day seems like it still should have availability, you are approximately 3 weeks before Super Bowl. There may be some "blockS' of rooms being held. I ended up paying $135 for the 4*, Intercontinental on Priceline for Nov 4. Others are getting this same hotel for same time frame at $100 recently. Just keep trying.

Bon Voyage

People who go on these sites and tell what they 'got it for' are not 'getting it' and are from other areas.

You must realize (as Nana does, from another area) that Florida has Super Bowls, conventions, boat shows, winter seasons, many things that affect prices.

Just because a price was good at a summer date does not mean it's good any other time of the year.

So unless someone 'got' something for the same date - it doesn't apply.

Good luck with your plan but you might have to stay nearby but not downtown. Good luck, MaryAnn

Thanks for the ideas and well wishes :) When I booked the cruise the location of the Super Bowl was no where in my mind :eek: Thank goodness I booked this cruise and not one 1-2 weeks later as my DH and I had talked about.

I guess I just keep raising my price for now and see what happens. We can stay in other areas (the airport would be right on the way :p ). I just don't know the area at all so I am trying to make this not complicated.

If anyone has suggestions of other areas, and what stars, to try, please let me know. I will stick with Downtown for now, but if not I am guessing airpot 4*? Some people have mentioned Blue Lagoon area lately - I'll have to look around for stars, and what area that is marked as on Priceline.

Think about why a hotel offers rooms to Priceline to sell. Then think why you would expect to be successful at this time. Your bids are correct, there just isn't any inventory. Keep tabs on things at http://www.biddingfortravel.com

Find an acceptable alternative, Blue Lagoon or wherever, make a cancellable reservation now, then continue to play with PL. Your date is the start of Art Deco Weekend in South Beach. Attracts hundreds of thousands.

Think about why a hotel offers rooms to Priceline to sell. Then think why you would expect to be successful at this time. Your bids are correct, there just isn't any inventory. Keep tabs on things at www.biddingfortravel.com

Find an acceptable alternative, Blue Lagoon or wherever, make a cancellable reservation now, then continue to play with PL. Your date is the start of Art Deco Weekend in South Beach. Attracts hundreds of thousands.

Thank you! Due to all my denied bids, I knew I was hitting a very busy weekend. I won't even try South Beach if I need to try other areas.

You've gotten some really good advice.

So much goes on in Miami during peak season (Christmas through end of April) and during other parts of the year that what others pay for rooms on priceline is useless information unless the time frame is for your dates.

You can play this two ways.

You can book a cancellable backup and cross your fingers that priceline will open up some last minute rooms (risky) or you could go ahead and book something on hotwire or easyclick right now.

...or you can try bidding to your maximum of $160 first since there isn't anything cheaper than that on either hotwire or easyclick. I'd give it one more shot with the 4*...try going up to $160 with your freebids and let us know if that works! :)

WOOHOO! I got the Hyatt Regency downtown for $157 before taxes :) I'll go put this in the bidding thread so people know.

Thanks! I was just getting so worried :p I have little patience for things like this - I want it DONE. LOL

WOOHOO! I got the Hyatt Regency downtown for $157 before taxes :) I'll go put this in the bidding thread so people know.

Thanks! I was just getting so worried :p I have little patience for things like this - I want it DONE. LOL

Would you mind posting this on the sticky at the top of this page

"Summary of Winning Bids on Priceline":)

Would you mind posting this on the sticky at the top of this page

"Summary of Winning Bids on Priceline":)

Already done ;)

We're aren't members of AAA so I never checked into their price. Now stop telling me better prices since I am booked :p (just teasing. LOL!)

You got it! I know how having details taken care of can make your feel like you have accomplished a great deal!

Tom e boy, the HI is OK but a 3 star, where Hyatt is 4*. IMHO, the poster is happy with her winning bid and that detail is taken care of. You can't put a price on satisfaction!

Bon Voyage

I do indeed "get it" and that is why I directed the OP to seek out a message board about priceline bidding where she could find acurate info on her potential bids/hotels. I was only giving an example of the deals I have got to illustrate my point. I use pricleine extnsively and have found those boards to be an invaluable source of knowledge.

Archived