Best Piano Entertainer on Carnival?

CrusinAgain

Let me ask y'all a question.....

What all is involved in becoming a piano man onboard Carnival? I'm sure its more than a resume and "here, here's your piano".....is there a kind of "tryout" cruise first? Pretty much I'm asking how they prove your takent before they put you on.

I've been playing/singing for 14 years...I play parties/events here around town, but that's it. That's the only experience I have....music almost doesn't exist in the town I'm from.

Do I have a chance?

I come from a town pretty much like that as well. Same situation. Just put a nice press kit together. Make sure you do a video of your performance, probably no more than a half hours worth. Also a cd of a few songs wouldn't hurt. And try to get as much photos, bios, reviews, reccomendations, as you can put in a folder. I was always taught to go overboard on doing this even though you probably won't need it. And I sent my press kit to every agent, cruise line, and talent company I could think of.

And once someone books you, you're off and running as soon as you sign on. Good luck! Hope this helped.

not sure my insights would help ya any...lol...

i got this job while as a guest on vacation...true story.

piano player blew out his throat, and i wound up fillin in, as a guest. long story short, end of the cruise, they offered me a job. been there ever since...

We will be on the glory July 8th. What kind of music do you play, and what age groups. I love piano bars, but the cruises I have been on haven't had any good players. Love rock music from the 60's 70's, 80's.

Thanks

Sheryl

Hey Sheryl, I play for everybody. Dosen't matter how old, I make sure everyone has a great time. I play just about every genre. I'll put out my song list for you to choose from. And if I don't know a song that you really want to hear. I'll do my best to learn it by the end of the cruise. It all depends on if I have it on my computer or if I can find someone with the song. But i'll look forward to seeing you. Should be a great time!

Hey Mark, sorry I got your ship. Maybe we'll meet up somewhere and i'll buy you a beer or 2 for it. When were you on there last? How's the crew on there? Does the turn table work for the piano?

That's a pretty crazy story on how you got started. Watch now someone will sing in the karaoke room and take one of the production singer's job now. ha ha

Rescue156 - The lyrics in your signature are from one of my all time favorite shows! I love William Finn. I had to pull the "A New Brain" cast recording up on my Rhapsody and listen to it for the umpteenth time because you got it stuck in my head.

Speaking of which (meaning showtunes and Finns):

Mr. Ron Pass,

I'm very much looking forward to pulling up a stool in your bar on the Valor 7/9/06. I spent most of my last cruise in the piano bar on the Inspiration. Anyway, back to the subject at hand. Mr. Pass, do you tend to stick with pop and rock mostly or do you work a few show tunes in too? (I love it all pop, rock, country, punk, but sometimes I love a good showtune). And in the pop vein, got any Neil Finn (Split Enz, Crowded House) in your repetoire or do I have to wait for another cruise with a Kiwi piano man to hear my favorite song "Fall At Your Feet"?

Just curious...

Laura

Hey Vince, do you have a website or mailing list for people to know where you are going to be and when?

I have a couple of them actually,

my main site is www.vincestrong.com

but I manage the one on myspace the most right now (I know joining everyone else ha ha) www.myspace.com/vincestrongmusic

Mark,

Long time no talk. I didn't know that you got on with Carnival. Great for you! Jody and I are cruising again in Sept on the Fantasy! Haven't been in two years. Glad things are going well for ya.

And it won't be the same without you and Eric and Al and the gang. Do you still keep in touch?

Misty

Mark, it sounds like it was meant to be for you....sorry to the piano player who blew his throat out, but awesome for you.

Do you think the "piano man" would let me play on their break? Or is this against the rules? I'm on the Miracle in August.

Vince--Thanks for your insight. I already have a promotional package for here around town, so I"ll add to it, refine it, add my resume and a few more pictures and a video and send it to everyone....I have a book with addresses for all the cruise lines, and a whole bunch of booking agencies.

Thanks again to everyone.

Hey Tom,

I just got word from my agent that i'll be signing on as the new piano bar guy on the Glory July 1st. I can't wait! I signed off of the Liberty over in Europe about 3 weeks ago. Even though it's beautiful over there, there's nothing like a Caribbean crowd in the Piano Bar and i'm itchin to get back!

Even though i've been working with Carnival for a little over a year, i've learned lots of songs. And i'm more of a rocker on the piano. It's very rare for me not to be sweating after I play a song. I demand that everyone gets involved and has a great time. So I hope that's the kind of atmosphere that you're looking for. That week should be a blast anyway since i'm fresh on a new ship and ready to rock and let loose!

GREAT - happy top hear that ... we will DEFINITELY drop in and say HI!

Tom

all right yall! looks like Im heading to the Glory as well, at least for this coming week, then i'll be handing off to vince...

so, glory, yer in good hands!!!! lol...

Glad to hear that Mark! (I guess they must REALLY want the current player OFF - enough to bring you in for a one week filler!)

How about you stay on, and you can TAG TEAM/DUO with Vince for the July

1st sailing... :D

Perhaps we will still see you on the Legend this fall!

Tom

In March of 2004, Duane Lewis, from Canada was on the Legend. He was fantastic! He not only did requests of various music, but he also had a few books with the words. He had a full crowd every night (Me and my mom closed the bar, so I know) and even passed the mikes around for solos from the crowd! He also handled some "difficult" guests quite well. There was a large group, who for the most part were a lot of fun, but often wanted Duane to ONLY play THEIR music. He very deftly let them know that others were on board, too. There were various age groups, and he covered music for all of them.

We were quite dissapointed the following year to see him gone. We were again on the Legend, this time joined by my SO and his mom. My SO was looking forward to spending time in Billie's with me, but the piano player seemed to have her own agenda.

From the link, it looks like Duane is now on the Miracle.

Duane Lewis was fun. I also loved how he passed the mike around and had a few books with the words so that you can sing along. Mark and Vince, I haven't seen you yet, but Ron is #1 on my list and then Duane. I don't know who was on The Valor in May of 2005 but he was pretty terrible or should I say boring.

Yes, I do play around NYC, most often at the Duplex. I've also done shows at Club Getaway, up in CT...

as for my next ship after Glory, i think i'll be going back to FLA in July for a few weeks, not sure which ship. After that, who knows???

Mark,

The Duplex? Didn't that used to be Five Oaks? I have fond memories of that place, a lot of sea breezes led to a rather vampy version of "Makin' Whoopee" one evening, finished off by listening to the entire score of "Gypsy" being sung by everyone in Marie's Crisis. Sing out Louise! Made for a memorable evening. I haven't been down there in ages.

How often are you at the Duplex?

Laura

Ooops my bad, Five Oaks was the corner of Grove and Bleeker. And the Duplex is on Christopher right? I blame alcohol, most of the time when I was down in that area, alcohol was involved and the West Village confuses me enough when I am sober. (I also confess to being a born and raised Jersey girl. Bridge and Tunnel all the way.)

Hooray for the internet, to aid a bad memory. And this is a very interesting site I stumbled across while refreshing it.

http://home.nyc.rr.com/jkn/nysonglines/

Archived