Lamenting lost posts ?

annebill

Some of the boards more frequent posters are lamenting the fact that thousands of their old posts could not be transferred to the "new" board. Why does this bother you ? Just curious (yes, I know it killed the cat).

Doesn't bother me at all. I am a reasonably frequent poster (4,770 including this one, with 4,512 wiped out in the move) and, while I miss the big number on my posting list, I doubt it impressed anyone but me. The old posts get old fast and I never went back more than a page.

:eek: I admit I felt a little bit bad for 2 seconds having lost over 200 posts but OH Well. I know some might say because I sign on to CC more than 5 times a day I have "No Life" Actually like sail7seas said something like it was like being on a cruise in between cruises. But to lamenate the posts is really going too far. What they don't think they can get that many posts again.:confused: Who are they going to show this great accomplishment to?

Had around 3,000 but losing them does not bother me the least little bit! :eek:

In fact I wish it did not show "the number of posts"!!!!!!!! Maybe that would make "newbies" feel more comfortable!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

I do think that people pretty quickly figure out which posters contribute valuable information to the board versus those who are preoccupied with post counts (and BTW this really isnt a HAL board problem).

To some extent it was a situation caused by cruise critic when they went to the Blue Ribbon thing.

It is nice to see when people joined- althought there is nothing at all negative about being new- we were all new once.

If I were to read a scathing review from someone who just joined I would weigh the information- in all likelihood- a bit differently than from someone I had known for months or even years. Not that the information is any less likely to be true, but I think that knowing the source is, in real life, a valid factor in evaluating any information. And unfortunately there are trolls and people who just like to stir things up on ther internet, so that is part of the equation also.

I thoroughly enjoy reading all opinions ... positive and negative. It's food for thought. However, I don't put undue weight on any of them. The cruise experience is so subjective. What I like, you may not .. and vice versa. Just look at the "expert" movie reviewers. How often do you agree with them across the board? I'd say very seldom. (At least, that's my experience.) However, they provide information and insights that are helpful to know. Same with the posts here. As for the occasional troll who comes in and paints scathing verbal pictures of their cruise ... just disregard. If someone can't find more good than bad on a ship, they're not trying very hard IMO.

:)

Okay so we lost over 2000 posts. Big deal.

Although we check out the boards at least 4 times a day (we are retired and have the time) we don't try to answer 25 + times a day just to try and get that blue ribbon status.

To those who worry - get a life!

And those who answer everyone's post, don't always have the answers - they just want to post.

:)

One of the things that bothers me about all of those lost posts is that they could be helpful in determining if someone is posting a message just to stir up trouble (predicated upon the kind of posts they have made in the past). Or if they (as is usually the case) really want an answer to their question.

I sometimes used to look at someone's previous posts to see if troublemaking was a favorite past time they enjoyed.

I like OCruisers' idea of "no post count." I've had thousands of posts, but that doesn't mean beans up against a newbie who, unlike me, has actually been on (let's say) the Ryndam. It's not the number, it's the experience and the attitude. Someone could have great experience, but never have posted here -- a low count would not mean a newbie cruiser making an uninformed comment.

I have perused this board since the year 2000, so I hate to show my ignorance, but what is a "blue ribbon" cruiser ?

I believe it's when you have reached the 5000 posts level. :rolleyes:

Who cares, it's quality not quantity that counts

It's a very recent thing -- people were "Cool Cruisers" up to 5,000 posts and then they were "Blue Ribbon Cruisers." It was a nice designation if you had something to say, but if you were running up the clock by answering every post without really adding anything to the conversation, or just posting smilies, it was as empty as cocktail-party talk.

Person can be very experienced cruiser with 50+ cruises but not big i-net user or just discovered this board. His/her first post may be more valuable than 100000th post of somebody who is taking 1st or 2nd cruise.

I never look on posts amout but rather read and analyze post itself.

Tatka, the point is that there are people who post once, and often slam, just stirring the pot so to speak. As S7S's says it can be useful to get a feeling for a poster to see what they are about .

On the other hand ,no one post is not going to change my cruising habits. But people who are less analytical than yourself/myself sometimes panic when they read and inflamitory posting or review and actually consider cancelling. Its a big investment and being *stuck* on a ship that is being reviewed as a step up from a garbage scow does put fear into the hearts of some nice new people.

I've never understood the "got my docs" posts followed by 40 or so congratulatory posts, but I suppose I'm just an old curmudgeon and don't begrudge those who do that sort of thing. Same with the "welcome back" posts. Seems everybody wants to out-nice the next person, or maybe out-post ?

IMO.....one of the very best new features on this Board is when you place your cursor over the Title of a Thread, you can read what it is about. If it does not interest you, you can "cruise on by" and not even bother opening that thread.

So, IMO, it, in no way, should effect anyone else's pleasure/enjoyment of the board when some posters say Welcome Back to someone. Anyone who is annoyed by it does not open the thread and does not get irritated.

Here's one reason some not all of us post "Welcome Back" threads:

Often people are returning on a ship that we will be sailing in the next several months and we are anxious to hear their opinions of the cruise. This is especially true when it's a new itinerary, new ship, etc.

A "Welcome Back" reminding folks to tell us all about their cruise is to let them know we really are interested. Most people love talking about their cruise -- just encouraging them! :D

Agree with sail7seas .... Being able to preview a thread is probably my favorite feature of this new board. :)

:eek: Sorry, guess we got "Off Subject" a bit! :o

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

Not off subject, ocruisers. While we are under the general topic of posts, someone tell me what the stars by some topics are supposed to indicate. If I ever knew I've forgotten, and I'm too lazy to look it up in all the info provided by CC re these boards. Thanks.

Naturally the silly posts and chit chat posts didn't need to be saved.

But it is sad that along with those some very valuable posts were lost. Answers to frequently asked questions , Helpful hints and ideas for 1st timers , all sorts of useful info. Especially from experienced cruisers like S7S and Cruisemaven and many others .

Archived