SS Suite 6052 on Westerdam

loisswanson

We booked this cabin specifically because it looked larger than other SS category cabins, and also the balcony looked larger (although a different shape). Is this true and will the balcony be better or worse than other SS categories due to its shape? Same question about this cabin -- better or worse? This is a first HAL cruise for us and we want the best we can afford.

We'd really like an S category cabin, but the cost seems to be almost $900 more and we don't want to pay that much additional.

Looking forward to some helpful replies. Thanks,

Lois

Lois, I seriously considered booking that exact cabin for our March 13th, 2005 cruise on the Westerdam and was told my several that because of the angle of the balcony it does not give much privacy due to those to the left of you can look forward and see your verandah. We booked a VA Aft cabin with a huge verandah we may still move up to an SS if the prices keep dropping more.

Although this is at an angle, it would seem to me that others on their balconies would look directly out to sea and not really into that balcony, or am I incorrect?

Did your agent say which of the SS category cabins would be preferable to pick -- we want large room and large balcony. We're sailing on the April 10 cruise.

Lois

:)

On the Oosterdam we had a suite just a few doors down from the penthouse suite which is right above the cabin you are considering.

When we stood at the rail of our verandah we were able to watch everthing that happened on that verandah (including the man who decided to sunbathe nude). The Canadian (HMMMM) didn't realize that everyone was watching him.

So privacy could be a problem.

I think this cabin is about 30 square feet bigger than the other SS cabins. I'm not sure if the balcony is really any bigger. We were in an S Suite 7087. The balcony was similar and though it provided an interesting view, it was not private. We could see a number of balconies pretty well and they could see us.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a better SS category cabin? We liked the idea of more room in the cabin -- we never realized the balcony would not be very private. Last cruise we didn't get to spend much balcony time due to a cigar smoker next door, but if that wouldn't occur again, we might be out on the balcony more. I think the room is the more important part for me though. I'd love some experienced cruisers suggestions -- which cabin would be better and should I call my TA and change what we currently have. We booked real early to get the best selection.

Also wondering is the S category suite worth the additional money over what our SS category costs?? I know they changed some of the benefits, but are the cabin size and balcony that much better?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Lois

We booked SS6052 for our girls on the Westerdam after checking out how large the room was on cruises-n-more.com. They have square footage size for every stateroom. The room is bigger, which was very important to us (3 teen girls) and the balcony is larger. I'm not sure about privacy, though that was not as important to us.

We had SS 6060 on the Oosterdam and it was a great cabin. It's true that the verandah for SS 6052 kind of sticks out there for everybody to see so if privacy is a big issue then that's not the cabin to pick. Overall the verandahs for SS are not huge. 4 adults can be on the verandah at one time but it would take some organization as the verandah is fairly long but not real deep. The cabin itself is nice sized with lots of storage and a fair amount of move around floor space. The couch, coffee table and two easy chairs take some getting used to. If the chairs get moved away from the coffee table they're kind of in the way. The bathroom is fantastic. My wife and I had no problem both being in there getting ready in the morning or cleaned up before dinner. The separate shower is a bit over rated. It's about the size of a phone booth so after each of us using it once we went to showering in the tub. Sounds like I didn't like the cabin but in fact we did and would book it again.

www.geocities.com/theklugspage/

When we stood at the rail of our verandah we were able to watch everthing that happened on that verandah (including the man who decided to sunbathe nude). The Canadian (HMMMM) didn't realize that everyone was watching him.

That's pretty funny! Who would sunbathe NUDE on a trip to ALASKA?!?! We all know what happens when it gets COLD... Sounds like this clown deserves a bit of public mockery, putting it all out there for the world (or at least that deck) to see!!!

Archived