Conch Fritters

MTcruiser

Actually the Kraals is also open for breakfast - with a mean bloody mary to go with the conch salad!!!!!!!!

You are absolutely correct, I had forgotten about TK's opening for breakfast.

Also if you are a fan of Ceviche try Alice's. She has a great Ceviche cocktail served with a gazpacho sidecar.

Mike:)

I have only had conch fritter twice. Once at the British Colonial Hilton (about a 5 minute walk from the cruise ship pier in Nassau) and absolutely loved them. I couldn't wait to try them again. So when we were in Key West last March, I just couldn't wait to go somewhere there to get them. So I ordered them at an outdoor restuarant right on the water that is right next to the glass bottom boat rides place. I can't remember the name of it. But honestly, I could barely choke them down they were so chewy and I was really disappointed. Don't know if the difference was Key West vs. Bahamas or one restuarant vs. another. But I'll be going to both Nassau and Key West this March. I may try them at both places again, but at different restuarants and let my taste buds decide then.

• 3 weeks later...

And I made it to Turtle Krawls....I think I hit it on a bad night, all my seafood platte was over cooked. And DW the key lime pie person was not impressed with the key lime pie, so we stopped at Kermits which she (and I) thought was much better. The conch fritter were ok, much better ones at the reef grill on Grand Cayman.

• 1 month later...
The best conch fritters are at the pier at the Ocean Key Resort, right on the water at the end Duval. Enjoy the view with your beverage of choice.

We walked by there...wasn't open that time of the morning tho. I wish i would have had a bit more time in town. Sure is a neat place to visit.

• 5 weeks later...
yummy yummy... there is a guy with a mobile fritter cart that is usually nearby where you get the trolley's back to the pier.. at the end of duval street.. he's been there for YEARS,, even before the cruise ships invaded

We used to love the fritters from the cart............went back last Friday and they were not very good at all..........feed some to the chickens that were hanging around.....usually I wouldnt waste a bite...not this time(too much breading........hardly any conch)

• 1 month later...

We used to eat conch fritters all the time when I lived in South Florida after my college years. I learned to LOVE them!

It's ben a few years and I was looking forward to introducing my travel companions to them when we cruised into Key West in November.

I can't tell you where to find the good ones, but I can assure you that you will find some very lame ones at the "famous" Hog's Breath Saloon! They were just AWFUL!!! I was embarrassed I made my friends order them! Now I'll never hear the end of it! HAHA! :eek:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The first response was correct - near the trolly station and aquarium - been eating them for 20 years.

Aren't you full yet? :D

PS - to the poster that recommended Herbie's - if you're driving all the way to Miami, you're probably better off going to Alabama Jack's!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Just got back from KW last night, and our group loved the fritters at B.O.'s Fish Wagon, we went there two days in a row!!

I go to Key West once a year and I will cast another vote for B.O.'s. That place is awesome! The blackened fish sandwich is fantastic also.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived