Who deserves to be God Mother?

bepsf

Brian, pardon my ignorance but who is Maya Angelou?

"Dr. Maya Angelou is a remarkable Renaissance woman who is hailed as one of the great voices of contemporary literature. As a poet, educator, historian, best-selling author, actress, playwright, civil-rights activist, producer and director, she continues to travel the world, spreading her legendary wisdom. Within the rhythm of her poetry and elegance of her prose lies Angelou's unique power to help readers of every orientation span the lines of race and Angelou captivates audiences through the vigor and sheer beauty of her words and lyrics."

http://www.mayaangelou.com/

"Dr. Maya Angelou is a remarkable Renaissance woman who is hailed as one of the great voices of contemporary literature. As a poet, educator, historian, best-selling author, actress, playwright, civil-rights activist, producer and director, she continues to travel the world, spreading her legendary wisdom. Within the rhythm of her poetry and elegance of her prose lies Angelou's unique power to help readers of every orientation span the lines of race and Angelou captivates audiences through the vigor and sheer beauty of her words and lyrics."

http://www.mayaangelou.com/

Thanks!

I agree that Marlee Matlin is a great choice - hopefully her selection will pave the way for honoring more self-accomplished personages like Barbara Walters, Meryl Streep, Gail Devers and Maya Angelou.

Baba Wawa would be a good choice. :)

After her melt-down on MSNBC the other night I don't think that Connie Chung would be a good one. :) And, no matter what, DON'T let her sing. ;)

How about Deborah Kerr???

Baba Wawa would be a good choice. :)

After her melt-down on MSNBC the other night I don't think that Connie Chung would be a good one. :) And, no matter what, DON'T let her sing. ;)

How about Deborah Kerr???

Deborah Kerr, a very classy lady and a very good choice

How about Olivia De Havilland ? If I am not mistaken , a former tablemate of yours :)

Maybe you have some clout in getting her out of retirement *LOL*

There's another thread where some expressed displeasure at a certain individual being honored by another line as Godmother to their newest ship.

Among the ladies who have been honored as Godmothers to HAL's ships are spouses of the officers of the Line, Queens and Princesses, Newscasters and Actresses.

Do you think these are appropriate choices?

Who do you think HAL should call upon to be the next ship's Godmother in 2008?

Queeen BEP of course.:D :D

How about Olivia De Havilland ? If I am not mistaken , a former tablemate of yours :)

Maybe you have some clout in getting her out of retirement *LOL*

Most unlikely. She's pretty reclusive now days, and she wouldn't remember me ... I would have been a passing, unimportant blip on her radar. :) Still, it was a GREAT honor to get to meet her.

I wonder if that would make it less or more likely that she would say yes to an offer?

I suspect it would make it less likely she would get an offer from HAL. The previous honor links her to another line.

I suspect it would make it less likely she would get an offer from HAL. The previous honor links her to another line.

Quite possibly ... though she IS a Mariner with at least 100 days. So ... there is THAT.

If Sophia Loren can be godmother to a half-dozen ships, why not O-Livvie?

;)

BTW --

Thanks Typhoon - I humbly accept this incredible honor...

...but do I really have to smash the Champagne against the ship? Can't we just drink it & go take a nap someplace???

:D

I think her health now would never permit any public appearance like that. I love her, but there are many other ladies who would be better able to handle the responsibilities. Plus she's been there, done that. The last I saw Olivia de Haviland I think was being honored on an awards show and she was quite infirmed. She's 90 years old.

Mary Kate and Ashley? Godmothers? Now that's a hoot. I surely didn't know that. Thanks for the list, John.

The Olsen twins did a "Cruise with the Stars" cruise on the Zaandam. I remember posts about this. Imagine a ship full of squealing girls. :eek:

John/Copper

I said in a post a while back that June Allyson was the godmother of the Maasdam and somebody (don't know who) took me to task and said she wa NOT and that I should look for the picture of the correct godmother. I knew I was right. Thanks for the list. I feel better now

Ed

We were there in FLL when she did the christening right before the maiden voyage. Beautiful day, beautiful woman and noisy, but not very visible, fireworks.

It was, I understand, Ted Arison's last cruise, as well. (They were the first occupants of the Penthouse Suite)

I can make this very easy ............ me.

I'd be great. I have nothing else on my plate. I can devote myself entirely to the effort.:D

On Maya Angelou, who I admire greatly, many here know my favorite quote of hers as it was in my signature for such a long time ........

"When people show you who they are, believe them."

June Allyson was noisy? ;)

LMAO:) :) :)

As I was reading Walts post, I paused and thought the same thing for a second.

Then I scroll down and see your post *LOL*

Either great minds think alike , or we are both a couple of smart A**es *LOL*

My vote goes to Molly, Heather's dog.

If the Olsen Twins can be God Mother why not a dog ? :D

(I wouldn't even consider comparing Molly to the lastest Princess God Mother :rolleyes: ) No contest. Molly wins hand down !

Heather, you will be included in everything since she is your dog.

Thank you, Gizmo. And Molly thanks you even more and she accepts. Or rather I accept on her behalf. Close enough for me.:) And she's AKC Registered so that's just as good as Royalty in my book.

As for Connie Chung on her last show, I thought she was absolutely hysterical. And good for her for being able to make fun of herself.

P.S. I can sing, too ... better than Connie. Molly and I will do a special duet. She does the soprano part. We're really quite good;) .

Archived