Who deserves to be God Mother?

bepsf

There's another thread where some expressed displeasure at a certain individual being honored by another line as Godmother to their newest ship.

Among the ladies who have been honored as Godmothers to HAL's ships are spouses of the officers of the Line, Queens and Princesses, Newscasters and Actresses.

Do you think these are appropriate choices?

Who do you think HAL should call upon to be the next ship's Godmother in 2008?

I can't recall ever being offended by a choice of godmother. They usually seem to find pretty un-controversial women to do the honor. Martha Stewart is about a risk as I can recall a cruise line taking.

The most traditional choices seem to be a Queen, Princess, or other female royalty, or the wife of a current or former head of state, or a wife of a company director; the latter being probably the most common choice over the years.

Of course, these days, it could just as easily be the President or Prime Minister or company director given that such people are no longer only men.

For that matter, I don't think it's always a godmother. I'm pretty sure Kaiser Wilhelm II christened a few ships, for example. Indeed, male royalty does not seem as uncommon a choice as one might think.

But these days, it almost always seems to be a woman.

A natural choise would be Princess Maxima, the Argentinian-born wife of Crown Prince Willem-Alexander, the future king of the Netherlands

She sounds wonderful John, I assume she's not done jail time like other recent (and totally inappropriate) godmothers!;)

She sounds wonderful John, I assume she's not done jail time like other recent (and totally inappropriate) godmothers!;)

Negative LL;) , her daddy had an interesting background with connects to the Argentinian junta but there was nothing she could do about that. She is very popular in Holland!

There's another thread where some expressed displeasure at a certain individual being honored by another line as Godmother to their newest ship.

Among the ladies who have been honored as Godmothers to HAL's ships are spouses of the officers of the Line, Queens and Princesses, Newscasters and Actresses.

Do you think these are appropriate choices?

Who do you think HAL should call upon to be the next ship's Godmother in 2008?

Glad I wasn't the only one rankled about a "certain individual being honored by another line as Godmother." For God's sake ... the woman is a convicted criminal ... and she's the best they can come up with to be Godmother to their newest ship? Give me a break!

If I were to have anything to say about it, I'd prefer HAL choose a Godmother who was a common person who does uncommon deeds. For example, someone like the mother of that girl, Alex, of Alex's Lemonade Stands. How much of her time she must have devoted right alongside her daughter, and now in her daughter's honor, running the activities of that charitable organization?

There are hundreds of other examples ... people who give selflessly so that others, such as victims of childhood cancers, will benefit. This is the type of person I think should be selected as a Godmother to a HAL ship ... not some celebrity just on the basis that they are a celebrity.

Choose common folk ... who have done highly uncommon good deeds.

Blue skies ...

--rita

... people who give selflessly so that others, such as victims of childhood cancers, will benefit. This is the type of person I think should be selected as a Godmother to a HAL ship ... not some celebrity just on the basis that they are a celebrity.

Choose common folk ... who have done highly uncommon good deeds.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I fully agree with your last statement. There are thousands of folks around the world that make a difference in ways we never hear about. Not all of them have the wealth to be able to do some things they may like in order to help others. Wouldn't that be a great way to say thank you!

I fully agree with your last statement. There are thousands of folks around the world that make a difference in ways we never hear about. Not all of them have the wealth to be able to do some things they may like in order to help others. Wouldn't that be a great way to say thank you!

Princess had a contest a while back ... I think they asked people to nominate just such deserving individuals for a free cruise for two. Gavin McCloud (sp?) personally informed each of the winners (or most of them anyway) that they had won a free cruise and why. Most of these people were nominated because of charitable works they had done ... good deeds they consistently did for neighbors, their church congregations, children's charities, etc. I think 50 free cruises were awarded.

That's why the selection of this particular Godmother ... by the same line that did such a wonderful thing of awarding free cruises to deserving individuals who perhaps could never have afforded to cruise ... shocked me so much. And, then ... that's when I had the thought why do cruise lines have to pick celebrities and other notables to be their Godmothers. Why should someone receive such an honor just because they are a sports, entertainment or other notable ... or even just the wife of an officer? Does that distinction ... in and of itself ... make them more worthy of the honor than anyone else? Why instead don't all cruise lines take much more care in bestowing this type of honor? Why not choose "common folk" who have done uncommonly wonderful deeds to benefit their fellow man ... people who we don't get a chance to read about in the paper ... specifically because they don't seek the limelight for what they do? Why can't these folks be selected as Godmothers (or, hey ... even Godfathers) to new cruising vessels?

There are so, so many "special" people around. We don't realize it because all we hear about in the news is the people who do wrong things ... lie, steal, cheat. What a wonderful way to honor someone ... especially someone who works tirelessly in the background, with little fanfare or credit ... to do wonderful things to benefit her fellow man. That's the person I would like to see breaking that champaign bottle over the hull of the next HAL ship.

As a sidenote, do you realize that when someone is named Godmother to a ship, she gets a free cruise every single year aboard that vessel? I believe it is probably a seven-day cruise ... but still it is free and I am sure she is not put into an inside cabin either. When I think of who this latest Godmother is ... and the fact that she ... a convicted felon ... will cruise free every year while I pay my fare ... it infuriates me. Call it jealously if you want ... but I think it's more a case of "crime does pay" than anything else. I think honoring her in this way just sends the wrong message out ... especially to our young people ... a message that says "go ahead, do anything you want ... you can still come out a highly respected member of society even if you do absolutely nothing to earn it."

Guess I won't be sailing Princess anymore. That's just how much this whole thing rankles me.

Blue skies ...

--rita

That's when I thought ... especially after reading of this latest "Godmother" honor ... why don't cruise lines choose "common folk" as Godmothers to their new vessels? Choose people that others like myself can look up to ... maybe take a lesson from.

There are so, so many "special" people around. We don't realize it because all we hear about in the news is the people who do wrong things ... lie, steal, cheat. What a wonderful way to honor someone ... especially someone who works tirelessly in the background, with little fanfare or credit ... to do wonderful things to benefit her fellow man. That's the person I would like to see breaking that champaign bottle over the hull of the next HAL ship.

Royal Caribbean did just that for the Freedom of the Seas. They held a contest where people nominated "everyday" people and then in connection with the Today Show the viewing public got to choose. The eventual choice was a woman who has been a foster parent to over 400 kids over the years, but the other choices were just as awesome.

Royal Caribbean did just that for the Freedom of the Seas. They held a contest where people nominated "everyday" people and then in connection with the Today Show the viewing public got to choose. The eventual choice was a woman who has been a foster parent to over 400 kids over the years, but the other choices were just as awesome.

Wonderful! Now, seriously ... doesn't she bring more honor to such a title than Princess' latest Godmother choice?

Kudos to RCCL!

Blue skies ...

--rita

If they insist on having someone famous, why don't they have co-godmothers, one celebrity and one deserving "regular" person. How about the teacher of the year, who would certainly need a cruise every year to recover from the school year? How about someone who fosters children who nobody else wants? How about someone who has started a charity that has made a huge difference in people's lives, i.e. the woman who started the Susan B. Komen foundation that has raised millions of dollars for research that is keeping breast cancer survivors like me alive? How about Bill and Melinda Gates who will make sure that millions of African children will live past their childhoods and have a chance at a life? With the incredible marketing resources cruise lines have, they could give various charities incredible exposure. I don't know why, but the thought of Martha Stewart getting a free cruise every year just rubs me the wrong way.

In no particular order and for no particluar reason:

Paris Hilton, Mother Theresa, Joan Rivers, Elton John, Margaret Thatcher, Barney Fife, and any of the Gabor sisters.

Thanks for a good laugh. I don't get the godmother thing either.:rolleyes:

In no particular order and for no particluar reason:

Paris Hilton, Mother Theresa, Joan Rivers, Elton John, Margaret Thatcher, Barney Fife, and any of the Gabor sisters.

you left out the Dixie Chicks. NMNita

ps:yes, Nancy did christen the Uss Reagan (I think that is the name of the ship) It was a very emotional ceremony.

An interesting point was brought up....the free cruise. Maybe that's why cruise lines pick celebrities. I mean how often would they be likely to take them up on that offer! :D

I would bet they take advantage of it. They get first class accommodations and do a bit of PR for the cruise line while onboard. I am sure their onboard charges are probably "covered" too.

Sounds like a great working vacation to me. And, I am sure the cruise line is flexible about the number of people they bring along ... like I doubt they would be restricted to just two ... especially if they wanted to bring their husband and three kids on the sailing. I'm sure the line would give them a couple of cabins.

Blue skies ...

--rita

How about Nancy Reagan? She's a woman of strength and quiet dignity. (But I doubt she'd be up to a naming ceremony these days.)

Nancy Reagan has my undying respect. I would be honored to sail a vessel that she christened. That woman took good care of her husband ... for years ... kept him at home and comfortable during this long illness instead of shunting him to a nursing home so that she could live her life worry-free.

Now that's one heck of a lady in my book ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived