Who deserves to be God Mother?

bepsf

dumbonewyork

(tee hee) If that is indeed your real name? Me thinks you are known by other incarnations on these boards. Perhaps you are trying to stir the pot a bit and shake up a few of these good folks? Perhaps not. In any case – why not!

I would bet they take advantage of it. They get first class accommodations and do a bit of PR for the cruise line while onboard. I am sure their onboard charges are probably "covered" too.

Sounds like a great working vacation to me. And, I am sure the cruise line is flexible about the number of people they bring along ... like I doubt they would be restricted to just two ... especially if they wanted to bring their husband and three kids on the sailing. I'm sure the line would give them a couple of cabins.

Blue skies ...

--rita

You are absolutely right Rita.

No one loves freebies more than these celebrities. they show up at these events and they have these "luxory rooms" where all these high end companies (Rolex, Chanel, etc) have booths and they hand out free merchandise.

Plus the famous "gift bags" they give these people for being prsenters at the Oscars and such. these gift bags go for $25,000 and up.

A free cruise just for a little PR and a photo OP ????????

These over paid, over worshipped Hollywood phonies would jump at the chance :)

I'd just like to comment that IMO Marlee Matlin is a wonderful Godmother for Noordam. While she is indeed an Academy Award winning actress, she is far more than that. She has made real contributions and is a very down to earth, natural, lovely woman. She is mother of (I think) four children and married to an LA Police Officer. She is physcially very beautiful in person and friendly and fun and seemed to enjoy the Dedication Ceremonies. Totally cooperative and eager and obliging.....No trace of attitude or superiority.

I don't ever think it right or fair to generalize about any group of people. Some may have great big attitude; some may be the salt of the earth nicest people you ever met.

I'd just like to comment that IMO Marlee Matlin is a wonderful Godmother for Noordam. While she is indeed an Academy Award winning actress, she is far more than that. She has made real contributions and is a very down to earth, natural, lovely woman. She is mother of (I think) four children and married to an LA Police Officer. She is physcially very beautiful in person and friendly and fun and seemed to enjoy the Dedication Ceremonies. Totally cooperative and eager and obliging.....No trace of attitude or superiority.

I don't ever think it right or fair to generalize about any group of people. Some may have great big attitude; some may be the salt of the earth nicest people you ever met.

Sail,

I have to agree with you on someone like Marlee Matlan. She is an exception. She is someone to be commended for overcoming a handicap and doing so much for her life. She is an inspiration, and IMO very worthy of such an honor.

Did some checking into who the actual godmothers of HAL's fleet are:

M/S Prinsendam - All employees of HAL

M/S Statendam - Lin Arison, wife of Ted Arnison, founder of Carnival

M/S Maasdam - June Allyson, actress

M/S Ryndam - Madeleine Arison, wife of Mickey Arnison, CEO of Carnival

M/S Veendam - Debbie Reynolds, actress

M/S Rotterdam - Princess Margriet of the Netherlands

M/S Amsterdam - Janet Lanterman,wife of former HAL CEO

M/S Volendam - Chris Everett, tennis star

M/S Zaandam - Ashley & Mary Kate Olsen, actresses

M/S Zuiderdam - Joan Lunden, broadcaster/TV anchor

M/S Oosterdam - Princess Margriet of the Netherlands

M/S Westerdam - Renee Soutendijk, Dutch actress

M/S Noordam - Marlee Matlin, actress

First I can't believe there's even a thread on this. But if not Martha then how about: Queen Latifah, Kelly Clarkson (first American Idol winner), every Republican's favourite - Hilary Clinton, Judge Judy, Katie Kuric (sp?), Meryl Streep, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Heidi Fleiss, etc, etc. Okay, so most of these you can't take too seriously. I guess I don't take the whole "godmother" thing too seriously either.

Oh and even though Host Doug said its unusual for "godfathers" I believe NCL America just had one recently christen one of their ships in Hawaii. I believe its time for equal opportunity and see nothing wrong with a man doing it too.

Mary Kate and Ashley? Godmothers? Now that's a hoot. I surely didn't know that. Thanks for the list, John.

I could see HALs logic in this.

I am just surprised they didn't have them as Godmothers for a Vista class ship. Seeing they are marketing them more for the younger crowd.

They are certainly better known to the younger crowd than say June Allyson (Ironically the longtime spokeswoman for adult diapers):) :) :)

Add me to the fans of Marlee Maitlin. An accomplished actress and advocate for the hearing-impaired. Beautiful to look at and beautiful soul.

She also has a charming sense of humor. She (through her interpreter) asked my DH some very funny questions at lunch. Quite playful and natural and delightful lady.

really dont want to knock nancy but i doubt that she changed ronnies diapers when they needed changing -- im sure there were many people in the house helping

my sister in law is the sole responsiblity of her 60 yr old retarded brother and she changes the diapers for him --cooks and cleans and is his sole life support- this woman and many many others like her are the real unsung heros in society and maybe one of them should be afforded the honor of being named godmother to a cruise ship

Of course your sister in law is to be commended and respected. So is Nancy R, no, she did not change his diapers, most of us feel the only positive thing going for her was her financual ability to give Ronnie the best care, but I can assure you she went through H##L and kept going. My husband was lucky enough to have served in the Reagan administration both in Ca and DC. We know what kind of a relationship they had. I normally don't post this imformation as it has nothing to do with cruising, but I couldn't resist. NMNita

Of course your sister in law is to be commended and respected. So is Nancy R, no, she did not change his diapers, most of us feel the only positive thing going for her was her financual ability to give Ronnie the best care, but I can assure you she went through H##L and kept going. My husband was lucky enough to have served in the Reagan administration both in Ca and DC. We know what kind of a relationship they had. I normally don't post this imformation as it has nothing to do with cruising, but I couldn't resist. NMNita

I agree 100%

Whatever you think of them personally or politically. They were very much in love and fiercely devoted to eachother. I remember the press always made fun of "The Gaze" (The look she would have on her face when she was listening to him make a speech.) You could see how much she loved him.

Very unlike the looks on another former president and first ladys faces when they are together. You can get frostbite from those icy stares.

Give me those icey stares ANYTIME, "just say no" to any first lady as Godmother of a ship. It would make for to many jokes from "the other side" to even be worth it. Believe it or not, there are actually a lot of people that like the godmother thing and it would be sad to hang a picture of a former first lady up and then have it be ridiculed by passengers who did not like the husband or though the FL was not what THEY thought she should be.

Leave it to actors and royalty ( and an occasional wife of one of the owners who needs her ego stroked)

John/Copper

I said in a post a while back that June Allyson was the godmother of the Maasdam and somebody (don't know who) took me to task and said she wa NOT and that I should look for the picture of the correct godmother. I knew I was right. Thanks for the list. I feel better now

Ed

John/Copper

I said in a post a while back that June Allyson was the godmother of the Maasdam and somebody (don't know who) took me to task and said she wa NOT and that I should look for the picture of the correct godmother. I knew I was right. Thanks for the list. I feel better now

Ed

No prob Ed, take care!

I could see HALs logic in this.

I am just surprised they didn't have them as Godmothers for a Vista class ship.

ZAANDAM was HAL's first attempt at building a "young people's" ship. Same idea as the Vistas, but less successful.

Choosing the Olsen twins was part of the effort to attract younger cruisers to this ship.

"just say no" to any first lady as Godmother of a ship. It would make for to many jokes from "the other side" to even be worth it.

I agree. A politician or politician's wife as Godmother... Not a good idea.

I agree with all those who said Marlee Matlin was a great choice of a Godmother. A Godmother we can all admire, in more ways than one ;) !

Ditto to no wife of a politician. As much as both Hilary Clinton and Nancy Reagan have their fans, there are a lot of Americans and non-Americans who ridicule them and/or their husbands just as equally. It would always be seen as a political move with one side praising and the other criticizing the line for just this type of thing. Nothing evokes strong opinions more than religion and politics which are what I try to avoid talking about in crowds. Especially when I am trying to enjoy a vacation.

Just look what response a criminal by the name of Martha Stewart brought on. To me, the more controversial the worse the move is.

Bram --

While I agree with you to a certain extent, I'd say that in hindsight the Olsen Twins are probably a far worse choice than Nancy Reagan as Godmother...

***"Excuse me, where's the Anorexia Dining Room & the Crystal Meth Lounge?"***

:eek:

I agree that Marlee Matlin is a great choice - hopefully her selection will pave the way for honoring more self-accomplished personages like Barbara Walters, Meryl Streep, Gail Devers and Maya Angelou.

Bram --

While I agree with you to a certain extent, I'd say that in hindsight the Olsen Twins are probably a far worse choice than Nancy Reagan as Godmother...

I agree that Marlee Matlin is a great choice - hopefully her selection will pave the way for honoring more self-accomplished personages like Barbara Walters, Meryl Streep, Gail Devers and Maya Angelou.

*LOL*:) :) :)

The Anorexia Dining Room !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it

I think its on the same deck as the new Bulemic Alternative Restaurant The "Fork and Bucket"........they were gonna call it the "Scarf and Barf " but Thank God good taste prevailed that day *LOL*

*LOL*:) :) :)

The Anorexia Dining Room !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love it

I think its on the same deck as the new Bulemic Alternative Restaurant The "Fork and Bucket"........they were gonna call it the "Scarf and Barf " but Thank God good taste prevailed that day *LOL*

My laugh for the day from both of you.

Bram --

Brian, pardon my ignorance but who is Maya Angelou?

Archived