I need your opinion on the Sovereign!

Help! My finace and I are thinking about having our wedding on the Sovereign - but we are weary b/c of the age of the ship. With that being said, I have read that the ship had a full renovation in '04.

In your HONEST opinions - is the ship nice? Is it classy or tacky?

I've said the Enchantment, Diamond Princess, Caribbean Princess, and Celeb. Century & loved them all. (My fav was the Caribbean Princess, though! Ahhh! I shouldn't say that on the RCCL boards ;)

We are planning on having a group of 50 guests sail w/ us for our wedding.

I'm open to any and all input.

Thanks,

Rachel

On the Sovereign, you will have a nice ship with nice accomodations. If you are comparing it to other lines, then, I am not sure what your expectations will be. Your wedding will be what YOU make it to be, not what your surroundings look like. Make your plans according to your date and the itinerary you would like. I could be a perfect day if you let it be.

We attended a wedding on the Sovereign right before the renovation and it was a beautiful wedding! We were one of the few "seasoned" cruise guests and thought the ship, while very elegant was showing its age. We resailed her last April and even with the renovations, she's still an old ship.

That being said, she's probably the most elegant for a three or four day (which is why they chose her for the wedding). Everyone had a blast because it was one hugh party all the time and most everyone thinks it's wonderful because it's their first cruise and they can't compare it to the Jewel or the Caribbean Princess. Whatever you decide, just enjoy it! We sure did!

Tanker

Cryscruiser & Tanker - very very true. It's not really fair for me to compare it to other cruises b/c this would really be around the wedding and celebration, more so than for the actual ship. Thanks for helping me put it into perspective.

My only concern is that the ship is not old and dingy. I understand that it is not a new ship - but it is run down? or does it give off a good appearance?

-Rachel

no worries. The sovereign is an absolutely stunningly beautiful ship.. the ship is so pretty. We have sailed in in October and have it booked for twice again soon upcoming.

GO and enjoy.. the prices are so cheap its hard to turn it down..

Thanks, Beary. It's so true - the prices are great!!!!!!

and even with the renovations, she's still an old ship.

I cruised on SOS for the first time in 1989 and a dozen times since then, most recently three weeks ago.

I think the renovation was both good and bad. The ship lost some lovely spaces and gained more of the RCI shopping mall flavor.

She is the best IMO in the short cruise market but will not come close to Caribbean Princess, nor the others you mention. There were 2700 pax on my cruise and the ship was very crowded. Also, it was a party hearty crowd, if that matters to you.

She looks good for her age but we had problems with a sewage smell in our cabin (we had a Junior Suite) and the ship was not as clean as it should have been. Also, food was very disappointing.

I am getting married on Century in November with friends and family onboard and would not have done so on SOS after being aboard.

JMHO.

Rachel,

I've been on SOS twice, and while it's not the newest ship out there with all the bells and whistles, it's a lovely ship. I agree with Caviargal that it's the best ship out there for short cruises. I think the 3 day weekend cruises will have more of a "party" atmosphere, but the 4 dayers are during the week and will probably not have as many partiers. I always recommend this ship to my clients who are going on their first cruise and looking for a short getaway. If you go with the right attitude and don't expect it to be the CP I think you'll have a very nice wedding.

Rachel,

I think the 3 day weekend cruises will have more of a "party" atmosphere, but the 4 dayers are during the week and will probably not have as many partiers. I always recommend this ship to my clients who are going on their quote]

Yes, we were looking at the 4 day cruises, but cruising form monday-thurs or friday would be asking our entire wedding group to be taking a week off of work, rather than a long weekend. So, that's why we ended up w/ the 3 day option.

-Rachel

So, you all think the SOS is better than the Majesty? I ask, because I'm attempting to plan a 3 nighter for a 50th B-Day celebration for DH. I was leaning toward the Majesty... any thoughts on why SOS is better?

The SOS was renovated & did look nice last month.We prefer the bigger ships, but the 3 dayer is one of the greatest cruises there is. It was our 25th cruise & the service was by far the worst we have ever encountered.

So, you all think the SOS is better than the Majesty? I ask, because I'm attempting to plan a 3 nighter for a 50th B-Day celebration for DH. I was leaning toward the Majesty... any thoughts on why SOS is better?

better for us because we can drive there in 1 1/2 hours! :) I avoid Miami.. just because its MIAMI

We have been on SOS 2 times.Both times was just for a quick vaction to get credit for crown and anchor benfits. The ship is very crowded and the rooms are way small.The services were excellect!!! We went on mariner of the seas last year and loved the size of it. SOS need to be remodel again.

needs to be freshen up again.We are going on the brillance next year and we will always go RCCL when we can!!!! SOS had spots on the carpets every where the rooms needed painting .showers nedded new lighting ect.We had several cabins on the 6 deck and they were all the same.We had first time cruiser with us and was embrassed at the shap of the ship.

Thank goddness the services was outstanding and our first time cruizers booked another cruise on 1 of Rccl better ships.Thought you would like to know:)

better for us because we can drive there in 1 1/2 hours! :) I avoid Miami.. just because its MIAMI

I get that! We have to fly in either way, however, and I was thinking it was much easier to get to the port in Miami than Port Canaveral if you do have to fly. Any opinions on which is better if I have to fly?

I get that! We have to fly in either way, however, and I was thinking it was much easier to get to the port in Miami than Port Canaveral if you do have to fly. Any opinions on which is better if I have to fly?

Well I have flown out of Orlando to other places,and have found it pretty easy to do so... but the people on the boards have said its cheaper to fly to miami than orlando and then they get transportation to port canaveral... I am really not much help on that issue.

I would think that since you are inquiring about a short trip 3 or 4 nights, then I would simply make the choice on best airfare.. if its cheaper to go to Miami then stay there and take the Majesty.. If its better to fly to orlando take the sovereign.. they are about the same in comparison.. and I find it ironic when people post and ask is it run down, etc.. RCCL has beautiful ships and none of them are substandard and run down... they would not have such a thing in the fleet. The sovereign and majesty are both very inexpensive to sail, and will not compare at all to the other class of ships, but we do get what we pay for... cheaper sailings do not have the bells and whistles of a more elegent ship.. just the same they are still very very nice.

and I find it ironic when people post and ask is it run down, etc.. RCCL has beautiful ships and none of them are substandard and run down... they would not have such a thing in the fleet. The sovereign and majesty are both very inexpensive to sail, and will not compare at all to the other class of ships, but we do get what we pay for... cheaper sailings do not have the bells and whistles of a more elegent ship.. just the same they are still very very nice.

Perhaps you misunderstood me.... I am not asking about "bells and whistles". I understand that a smaller ship will not have the activities and ammenities that I am used to on the larget ships. I am asking others if the ship is clean, not tacky, well kept, and not dirty. I am sorry if I am not as knowledgeable regarding RCCL as you are. I figured that's what these boards are for - to gather knowledge and chat about cruises with other cruise goers. Am I wrong?

Perhaps you misunderstood me.... I am not asking about "bells and whistles". I understand that a smaller ship will not have the activities and ammenities that I am used to on the larget ships. I am asking others if the ship is clean, not tacky, well kept, and not dirty. I am sorry if I am not as knowledgeable regarding RCCL as you are. I figured that's what these boards are for - to gather knowledge and chat about cruises with other cruise goers. Am I wrong?

That was not directed to you or anyone for that matter... simply just an explaination as that is what was asked regarding the ship. The sovereign is beautiful and we will be on her twice again soon. My statement about people asking if the ship is run down had nothing to do with your question.. I just imagine people imagining that these ships are in such bad repair that they are on the virge of sinking or something.. all the ships are well kept and are in great decor. None are tacky and all are very nice. Some are just better than others because they are bigger and newer. The sov just had a redo and looked like new when we were on it.

That was not directed to you or anyone for that matter... simply just an explaination as that is what was asked regarding the ship. The sovereign is beautiful and we will be on her twice again soon. My statement about people asking if the ship is run down had nothing to do with your question.. I just imagine people imagining that these ships are in such bad repair that they are on the virge of sinking or something.. all the ships are well kept and are in great decor. None are tacky and all are very nice. Some are just better than others because they are bigger and newer. The sov just had a redo and looked like new when we were on it.

I hear ya. Yes, it's one of those things where you're booking (in my case - a wedding!) with sight unseen. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm getting into.

Did you have the same experience as one of the other posters with the badly stained carpets?

-Rachel

The ship itself is nice,but the crowds tend to be party crowds(which can be good or bad)...........there are alot of corporate groups that use the Sovereign(and the other short cruises).........and they like to have fun,fun,fun!!

I have been on the Sovereign 10 times and even went to a wedding on one of those cruises.............they do a nice job and it really will be very memorable,Im sure.................

I hear ya. Yes, it's one of those things where you're booking (in my case - a wedding!) with sight unseen. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm getting into.

Did you have the same experience as one of the other posters with the badly stained carpets?

-Rachel

Rachel:

I thought the ship looked superb. Like brand new.. We sailed her in October so its been 8 months) and The ship will make a beautiful wedding spot. There were some on board weddings when we sailed. They also have a wedding planner that can handle every last detail for you.

1-800 -rccl- wed. There is also a place on these boards about weddings on board. The sovereign does not have a chapel though.. (At least I do not ever remember seeing one)

happy wedding planning.. it is a hard job. I planned ours for 1 1/2 years, and after over $17,000.00 it all was finally done. We did not get married on a ship though, (we actually had a skydiving wedding and guests from all over the country) anyways.. happy planning to you and your family.

Ooh, I didn't know there was a "weddings" board! I'm going to check it out. Thanks! We would prob have our wedding at the port and then have the reception be the cruise - not sure about the details, though. Just getting ideas right now...

-Rachel

Help! My finace and I are thinking about having our wedding on the Sovereign - but we are weary b/c of the age of the ship. With that being said, I have read that the ship had a full renovation in '04.

In your HONEST opinions - is the ship nice? Is it classy or tacky?

I've said the Enchantment, Diamond Princess, Caribbean Princess, and Celeb. Century & loved them all. (My fav was the Caribbean Princess, though! Ahhh! I shouldn't say that on the RCCL boards ;)

We are planning on having a group of 50 guests sail w/ us for our wedding.

I'm open to any and all input.

Thanks,

Rachel

We just loved the Sovereign and will be going back again for sure.

I too was a bit skeptical not so much because of the age but because of the size; I'd never been on a ship that small before. It didn't take long though to realize that it had most everything we needed or would find on other, larger ships, it was just closer together.

I think she's quite the classy little lady.

Ooh, I didn't know there was a "weddings" board! I'm going to check it out. Thanks! We would prob have our wedding at the port and then have the reception be the cruise - not sure about the details, though. Just getting ideas right now...

-Rachel

Rachel: did you find the wedding boards? :):)

Archived