Amadeus, Avalon or Viking--how do you choose?

MomC

My husband and I and another couple (all in our 60's and very able bodied) want to book our first river cruise--between Prague and Budapest. We are trying to decide between Amadeus, Avalon and Viking. Can anyone help us here? Seems like Avalon and Amadeus have the newest ships and largest cabins.

But what about the tours? What is included? Quality of tour guides? Food?

The cultural experiences and lectures on board? Type of people aboard?

We realize that the ship is only the "hotel" of the cruise. We are wanting the best overall cultural experience with a nice ship. We have cruises over 20 times on ships like Royal Caribbean, Princess, Celebrity, Crystal, and Holland America. We definitely prefer the higher end ships but being former educators, we do have a budget. We can't afford Tauck or Deilman. And we do want an American group and English being spoken.

We would really appreciate anyone's insight into which cruise line is preferable--or what the differences might be.

Thanking you in advance for your input. Please feel free to e mail individually if you want--although I would like everyone's input.

Linda

Cates610@aolcom

Have you looked at Vantage and Grand Circle Travel. They offer the same River Cruises. You have to put them all side by side and see what is offered and included in the price. From what I have read on the boards they all are very good and I don't think you could go wrong with any of them.:)

All the lines you mentioned do very similar itineraries and I'm sure are very good. We're retired educators too and we cruised on Avalon's Poetry last summer. We chose that new ship because of the specious junior suite that was available (we felt the extra money was well worth it for the comfort, especially in rainy weather and when the top observ. deck was closed...the other accomodations seemed very adequate too!), the wine each evening at dinner was included (and very good I might add) and it came recommended as a more "upscale" line than some of the others. It was our first river cruise (we've done over 30 cruises on Silverseas, Radisson, Celebrity, Oceania, etc) and we were not disappointed at all. Whichever line you choose, I'm sure you'll have a great time and love being docked right in the "midst of things" unlike most cruise ship experiences. Enjoy!!!

Hi Linda,

We are also considering the Prague to Budapest trip for 2007. Last summer we sailed on our first river cruise in Russia on Uniworld. It was fantastic! I am doing the same thing you are doing at this point - looking at each of the lines, Avalon, Amadeus, and Uniworld. As others have suggested, it is good to create a type of informal "spreadsheet" of each of the offerings to see what is included, what costs extra, and what tours, stops, etc. appeal most to you. We are both retired educators about your age (I turn 60 this year) and enjoy exploring new places but love the idea of unpacking just once (or as few times as possible). We have also cruised the large ocean liners and have done land tours of many countries in Europe and UK.

There are several posts on this board about the trip we are considering with some information about ports of call. Like you, I am also seeking some further specifics on the day to day itineraries to help with our decision. One of my big questions is about Budapest. It seems that one of the differences in the lines in the amount of time offered in Budapest. I am not certain if more than one day of touring is sufficient or not. As I have read, the amount of time needed in Prague is certainly more and seems to be included with each of the cruise lines.

Hopefully others will share their insights with us. Please feel free to email me at skfitzell@comcast.net.

Sandie

As you will see many times on these boards, most every company is is good, and therefore lean your decision on the itinerary.

We have never used Viking, but have been on Uniworld and Avalon. We do not use Vantage or GCT because you have to deal with them direct and we like the security and expertise of our travel agent.

We did the Budapest to Prague tour with Avalon (Globus) in 2004 and it was a wonderful trip. The tour had 2 1/2 days in Budapest and in Prague. We added an extra day on each end and were very glad we did as we got to see a lot more. Instead of doing their tours in Budapest and Prague, we did our own walking tours using the walks given in the Frommers guide book. Again, we saw much more on our own. I would say thay you need at least 3 full days in each city to really see the highlights. We can't wait to get back to Budapest and see more.

Next month we are going from Budapest to the Black Sea. We chose Avalon because we liked the Bucharest extension better, but also because we like Avalon a little better than Uniworld. We liked their food better, especially the desert buffets, and the free wine.

If the itinerary is the same, we would pick Avalon or Amedeus first, then Uniworld. But like I said, they are all great.

And Sandie, we did the Russian cruise last year on Uniworld as well. But, the cruises on the Danube (and Rhine) are so much nicer! Much more deluxe, nicer ships, much better food. If you enjoyed the Russian cruise, you will love the Budapest to Prague trip.

Dennis

I want to thank you for the information. We were wondering about needing more time in Budapest. Most companies don't give you more than a day. Amadeus has an itinerary that gives you 3 days in both Budapest and Prague. Sounds like we will need that time.

I just wonder if both Amadeus and Avalon (Globus) include the excursions that Viking does. It's hard to really compare. Avalon says in their brochure that those places in capital letters include inside tours. The last thing I want is a bus "drive by." I have ordered a brochure from Amadeus. And then Brennan tours offers the same itinerary as the others. Anyone try that?

I hadn't thought of the junior suite--we were thinking category A on Amadeus. Other than size (which is very important)--any other benefits to a junior suite?

Linda

Linda- The advantages of the junior suite to us were the queen size bed and separate sitting area with table/chairs that you could position in front of the wall of windows (actually French balcony sliders the length of the room), more storage space and a HUGE bathroom with the best shower we've encountered on any cruise ship we've sailed. The suite was on the top deck, mid-ship and also had a flat screen TV. The folks on the very bottom deck had a porthole window that was at times partially under water...something we would certainly avoid. I'm 6'7" tall and just don't do well in small spaces, so for us the suite was perfect. Our sailing companions (mostly Americans with a large N.Zealand contingent and a few Aussies) were both interesting and very friendly. We found the tours provided by the ship very good and you could go off and do your own thing if you so desired. We did the optional Salzburg tour and Vienna concert which I recommended in another thread. In Budapest, we had free time in the morning and then did a bus/walking tour of both the Buda and Pest sides of the river that seemed to cover quite a bit. Hope this info. helps. Karl

We had to decide between all the companies for the Russia River cruise that we planned for September. Being in our 40's, we still work. The dates of the trips made the decision easy for us. Amadeus was the only company whose dates allowed us to fly out on a weekend and return on a weekend, thus necessitating two weeks off for a two week vacation. All the other companies had us returning in the beginning of the week and leaving in the middle of the week, making us have to take three weeks off from work for a two week vacation. Other than that, we found all the itineraries and inclusions about the same.

Spouse and I and other family members took at Xmas Market cruise last year on a Viking ship. We are experienced cruisers so thought we'd give this a try. It was a good decision - the floating hotel aspect was great. We didn't participate in all the tours (rather, used the buses to get to the little towns and then went off on our own) but those we took were good. The experience was a bit too structured for us - dinner and lunch at specific time but the food was good. In fact, the soups were so good that hubby and his brother probably ate 4 bowls a day! Friend and I are going to Portugal next spring to do the Douro River - we will decide which tour operator to use based soley on price. Uniworld and Trafalgar sell same itinerary so we'll go with cheapest. INTRAV does not interest me nor does Grand Circle - too many wrinklies.

I just went on an Amadeus Cruise on the Danube in May and it was fantastic!!!!! The crew was great and so was the service. The free flowing wine at dinner was a bonus. Our cruise director used to work on Viking but switched to Amadeaus because he said the boats were better. We did Prague and Budipest on our own and saved a lot of money while staying in nice American hotels. And you can arrange to ride the bus with the rest of the people from the cruise to or from Prague to the boat with Amadeus.

Yes, I know about the ownership but I do also know that different prices appear for the exact same cruise on the exact same date. So, that is what will drive our decision. I am strictly cost-driven - when we went on Viking a couple Xmas ago, we booked through General Tours as they were $300/pax cheaper than Viking (Viking would not match GT price) for the same cabin.

there are quite some cruise lines sailing the European waterways and covering vitually every inch of them. I have not heard of any one in particular sticking out as being bad. Most cruisers on this board were satisfied with the cruise they booked, regardless of the cruise line. We went two summers ago on the Legendary Danube cruise from Prague to Budapest wirh Amadeus Waterways and we were aboard the Ms Symphony and everything just surpassed our expectations. Now they have a brand new ship - the Amadafio - doing this itinerary. Originally we wanted to go on the Europe's Heartland tour from Paris (my wife wanted Paris !) to Prague. Unfortunately we were too late (in November !) and our date was not available any more and we had to make changes in our plans. This was our first river cruise and our choice of cruise line was totally "deal" driven. We surfed the internet and found UET (www.uet.com) and we booked the cruise through them since their discounts ($ 450 per person) were unmatched by any other line and we got a great "deal" !

Thankyou MomC for starting this thread. We have similar backgrounds and are thinking of a river cruise in 2007.

unberwoob you adressed my confusion without me asking. These boards are so helpful. I have the Trafalgar Booklet 2006 (as well as others) with me as we have just about decided on the itinerary. I was wondering where it fitted in and thought perhaps it was only marketed in Australia as Trafalgar. Now your good advice has told me it is Uniworld. The ships operating on this itinerary are River Countess, River Duchess & River Empress.

Ayone been on these three?

The itinerary we have chosen is the 24 day Ultimate Black Sea Voyage from Amsterdam to Bucharest. When you live so far away (24 hour + flight) and the airfares are so expensive you have to see as much as you can and justify your long journey. It seems to be two btob cruises. Amsterdam to Budapest/ Budapest to Bucharest.

Anyone done this itinerary?

We haven't decided whether to do it Amsterdam to Bucharest or the reverse.

When to go?

We are retired and can go at any time. Because I heard of flooding on the European Waterways in Spring (April/May) perhaps we should avoid those dates. The prices for the different dates seem to vary very little at least in our Aussie brochure.

Any ideas for the best time to go?

Appreciate all the advice I can get.

Sandra

Hi,

I'm new to river cruising but am now a big fan after our first experience with Amadeus Europe Heartland this spring - we visited cities (Trier, Wertheim, etc.) that are absolute gems but for some reason are overlooked by the other companies. Which was fine with us because the experience of exploring those cities/towns was totally fresh and a break from competing with the usual mass of tourists.

I just want to say that we closely researched river cruises and did the math - we also booked with UET who we found through a referral. I can't say enough about the great discount we got when we booked with them. We don't know how they do it, but their value and savings are absolutely genuine!:)

We booked Vantage Budapest to Amsterdam; junior suite. This cruiseline came highly recommended by people we met on an ocean cruise. So far, I am not impressed with their customer service. When you call them; you are put on hold for a good 15 to 20 mins. I have written them twice about the times the boat arrives and departs from different ports. We would like to plan some sightseeing on our own. They say they will respond within 48 hrs of getting the question. I have not heard one reply from them. I hope the trip itself will not be a dissappointment. There customer service needs some revamping and employees who actually care.

We booked Vantage Budapest to Amsterdam; junior suite. This cruiseline came highly recommended by people we met on an ocean cruise. So far, I am not impressed with their customer service. When you call them; you are put on hold for a good 15 to 20 mins. I have written them twice about the times the boat arrives and departs from different ports. We would like to plan some sightseeing on our own. They say they will respond within 48 hrs of getting the question. I have not heard one reply from them. I hope the trip itself will not be a dissappointment. There customer service needs some revamping and employees who actually care.
I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I don't feel there is ever an excuse for putting someone on hold for that amount of time.

Their web site has the arrival and departure times on it http://www.vantagetravel.com/Trip/ExtendedItinerary.aspx?TripID=132#Itin139 . Is that the information you are looking for?

...Now your good advice has told me it is Uniworld. The ships operating on this itinerary are River Countess, River Duchess & River Empress.

Ayone been on these three?

Can only answer one...We cruised on the River Empress last December. It was a very nice ship with a very nice crew.

A few years ago I took Viking along the Rhine an Mosel. They were great. This year I took GCT Tikhi Don from Moscow to St. Petersburg. Customer service was terrible, they baited and switched an included tour and did not follow through when I used their recommended agency for the Russian Visa and had a problem with them that cost me an extra $100.00. I was not really looking forward to the cruise at all. However, as bad as the home office was the ship and crew were wonderful. In fact I enjoyed the trip so much I am taking it again next year. They are changing it so that there will be 4 days in hotels in Moscow and St. Petersburg rather than on the ship. It was difficult to get around in these cities without using their shuttle which often came back at midday. Being able to strike out on our own and seeing what we want to will be great!

I imagine any company you choose would be fine.

BJS, Thank you so muich for the web site with the departure and arrival times with Vantage. I printed out the entire itinerary. Have you been on Vantage? I just just Cruise Critic. I have been on for a few years; through many ocean cruises. The advice is always so helpful. Thank you again! Judy

BJS, Thank you so muich for the web site with the departure and arrival times with Vantage. I printed out the entire itinerary. Have you been on Vantage? I just just Cruise Critic. I have been on for a few years; through many ocean cruises. The advice is always so helpful. Thank you again! Judy

Aren't these boards great for getting all kinds of help!

No, we haven't been on Vantage. We were thinking about their Tulip Time cruise for April 07 when Viking sent us a 2/1 offer to do their Grand European Tour. We booked that tour, Budapest to Amsterdam, for Oct. 14th this year so the Tulip Time will have to wait for another year or two. This will be our first river cruise after 21 ocean cruises.

Many good things have been said about Vantage and Viking both. From what I'm reading you have to just go with the itinerary first, as long as the price is acceptable, and then take in consideration the included tours. I think the US customer service can be lacking even with the ocean cruise lines.

We are looking for an Eastern Europe to the Black Sea tour for the future. I compared both Viking and Vantage and found Viking to be $1500 more pp. Vantage spends several days in Vienna and we will be there for the second time in October so that doesn't interest us. Viking spends more time closer to the Black Sea which is where we want to spend the time but...... hard to accept the huge price difference. I'm hoping Viking will put out some of their great deals prior to us wanting to book.

You should have a great cruise. When will you be going?

BJS, Viking does offer some deals but I have never seen them other than through a travel agent. We traveled on Viking in China and got a nice unadvertised discount through a travel agent. I would recommend using an agent that does a lot of business with Viking as they probably get the better deals.

Clarence:)

BJS, Viking does offer some deals but I have never seen them other than through a travel agent. We traveled on Viking in China and got a nice unadvertised discount through a travel agent. I would recommend using an agent that does a lot of business with Viking as they probably get the better deals.Clarence:)
Viking does offer them to individuals. If you sign up with Viking they do send you deals. We've received 2 for the price of one, free air fare, and $ Xxx off of their cruises frequently. This up coming cruise will be the first time we take them up on an offer and it is a 2 for the price of 1 based on their prices posted on their web site and brochures.

I would not pay the web/brochure price for their cruises without first checking with travel agents to see if they have discounted fares.

They have about the highest advertised prices I've seen and wonder if they don't do that so they can then turn around and offer these 2/1, etc. discounts.

European river cruises. The two newer lines: Amadeus and Avalon interest me on paper (their booklet and web sites) -- but then I noticed something . . .

They have the same basic trips as most of the other companies -- but only 1 ship each (I believe) -- and if you go with them -- it seems it is some passengers on -- some empty rooms -- then new passengers get on in another leg -- some off -- other stay --- get it . . . ?

The larger companies with more ships, seem to have designated trips with a group. You begin together, end together.

Maybe that is or is not important -- but I kind of like being with the same people.

We took GCT in France up the Rhone River about 4 years ago -- and they did a great job.

So we and some 4 to 8 friends are studying the booklets, trying to decide for next year.

Any suggestions?

Roger Dodger

Archived