Amadeus, Avalon or Viking--how do you choose?

MomC

European river cruises. The two newer lines: Amadeus and Avalon interest me on paper (their booklet and web sites) -- but then I noticed something . . .

They have the same basic trips as most of the other companies -- but only 1 ship each (I believe) -- and if you go with them -- it seems it is some passengers on -- some empty rooms -- then new passengers get on in another leg -- some off -- other stay --- get it . . . ?

The larger companies with more ships, seem to have designated trips with a group. You begin together, end together.

Maybe that is or is not important -- but I kind of like being with the same people.

We took GCT in France up the Rhone River about 4 years ago -- and they did a great job.

So we and some 4 to 8 friends are studying the booklets, trying to decide for next year.

Any suggestions?

Roger Dodger

I have read this 4 times, and I must admit I still dont understand what you are saying about getting on-off.

During 2005 Amadeus and Avalon were combined, for 2006 Avalon and Amadeus have parted ways, with Avalon falling under the umbrella of Globus Gateway. Avalon is presently operating three boats cruising european rivers. The new in 2006 Tapestry, along with The Poetry, new in 2005, and The Artistry, new in 2004, and it appears from their website that they are adding two new boats for 2007.

My wife and I ,along with another couple ,cruised aboard The Avalon Poetry during May of 2005 beginning in Budapest and ending in Amsterdam. Both couples chose the least expensive cabins, and although at time water covered up to six inches of the window we found these cabins to be more than adequate, and in reality spent little time in them other than for sleeping. one piice of information on cabin selection - Toward the bow this ship has a turbine thruster, and there were some complaints from cabins toward the bow of loud rumbling and swishing of water when entering the 68 locks we went through, especially during night cruising.

We found the food to be good to excelent, and the free flowing wine to be a welcome bunus. In fact, on one special occasion the four of us consumed two bottles at our table, and they would pour at the end of the meal so you could retire to the upper deck to sip as the sun set.

All the ports were interesting and we found the included tours to be quite a bit better than expected. During our stay in Vienna our cruise director indicated that the frescoes in the Church of St Charles de Borromeo were being restored and that tourists were allowed up in the scaffolding to watch the restorers at work. This for us was a major highlight, for i know of nowhere else some thing like this may be seen.

This is my first post on this or any other board, and I hope it is informative.

We enjoyed cruising with Avalon so much that both couples are booked on The Mosel and Rhine cruise during October on the new Tapistry

...This is my first post on this or any other board, and I hope it is informative.

We enjoyed cruising with Avalon so much that both couples are booked on The Mosel and Rhine cruise during October on the new Tapistry

Please continue to post. The information you have given is just the kind we are all looking for.

When you return from your October cruise please post a review.:)

Now your good advice has told me it is Uniworld. The ships operating on this itinerary are River Countess, River Duchess & River Empress.

Ayone been on these three?

We sailed on River Duchess in late April, but not on your itinerary. We did the 10-night Amsterdam to Antwerp "Tulips" itinerary. I wrote a brief report on this board which might help.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=322078&page=2

We liked this ship/staff/itinerary so much we're ready to book the 2007 Amsterdam to Vienna itinerary on Uniworld. Just wish their USA booking staff had their act together. It'll be at least another month before they'll even have their 2007 brochure ready, and they're pretty tight-lipped about dates/itineraries/pricings before then. :(

...Karl

Hi,

My husband and I did this trip in Aug. 2004. If you have not already booked---go Bucharest to Amsterdam. The countries of Bulgaria and Romania are still very depressed---can leave you feeling very down. We started at the Black Sea and sailed to amsterdam. We were on the River Countess. When you choose a cabin, don't pick far forward or aft. The ship sails at nite, goes thru about 80 locks--is equipped with noisey bow thrusters. It is a very relaxing cruise--actually a few days of sailing with pre lunch parties in the sky lounge. The chef and maitre d' did not come up to par, so they left us in Budapest. Their replacements made the last part of the trip even better. If you have any specific questions, I'll try to answer them. You know from reading these boards, someone will have the answer. Pat

Thankyou both for taking the trouble to reply to my questions. I really appreciate it.

Karl S, I read your mini review and the posts around it. Great. Thanks for the link.

Pacmom, we haven't booked yet. After considering what you wrote about Bulgaria and Romania I am wondering if it would be better to do the 15 day tour Amsterdam to Budapest and have our own stop over for a few days either end. We would miss Kalocsa, Belgrade, Cruising the Iron Gates, Rousse, Cernavoda and Bucharest. In the scheme of things it seems as if all the best parts are in the Budapest to Amsterdam section. Am I correct in assuming that? What did you think of the gorge? I'd really value your input on my new proposal.

Thanks also for the advice on cabin location. We were thinking of the cheapest but may need to upgrade to the middle of the boat.

Cheers,

Sandra

Sandra,

I'm glad to have done the Black Sea to Budapest part of the trip. The cruising was so beautiful---rowers, campers, sunbathers. At one point we thought the boat was listing--just a few men had discovered a few nude female sunbathers. The river is totally different east of Budapest---very little river traffic. The Iron gates are a dam and almost a 100 foot level difference--rather impressive. We were on the 200 level--would go towards mid-ship.(no cost difference). To see what communism has done to the eastern european countries was an eye opener for me. The places we stopped were interesting. The cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam was busier, tourwise and visually. However you decide to go, it will be good. Pat

Appreciate your advice Pat. Lots for me to think about. It's funny I 've looked at several brochures and I keep being drawn back to that itinerary. It must be the one we are meant to go on.

What time of year did you do the cruise? I know European Spring can cause problems with water levels in the rivers.

By the way, Happy 4th July (unless you are Canadian) It is already the 5th here.

Sandra

We have only used Viking in Europe, but loved the cruise. We did Nuremburg to Budapest in July two years ago.

The weather was wonderful, the ship great, the food divine, the beds comfortable, the entertainment hokey (really hokey) but fun anyway, the CD a hoot, the staff elegant and so eager to please.

I noticed when we were docked, sometimes they have to dock three or four abreast in the Danube, we had to cut through other ships to get to ours, we always commented that ours looked so much nicer. Also you may know this but I did not before I went, there is no movement on the river ships. I remember seeing a wake headed our way and thinking it would rock but it did not, Perfectly steady.

I would also add that this was the most expensive cruise we have taken, but it is still our favorite so far. It did include all the excursions though.

Last summer we went on a river barge in the US and it was also pricey but not nearly as nice!!! I wish the US had more river barges.

Sandy,

The first week-Bucharest to Budapest was very comfortable. Vienna and Melk were the warmest. I don't do heat all that well. The rest of the trip as we went north was again comfortable. The places we stopped had mostly tour groups. Vienna and Amsterdam didn't seem that crowded. Most Europeans head for the warm spots on their holidays.

Thanks for the Fourth wishes. It rained all day. Pat

Hi Don M. -- sorry not to reply sooner -- we have been away.

What I meant -- It seems that some trips (cruises) begin and end with the same people. 150 on, and 150 off at the end.

It looks to me like these newer ships of smaller companies -- go across all of Europe and some start at the end and might go all the way -- others jump on board in the middle, others later. So the companies are saying -- take one of our many cruises -- but it is one long cruise and you are on your leg.

I perfer one group the entire time. That takes more river boats with designated trips.

Hopes this helps. Roger Dodger

We were wondering about needing more time in Budapest. Most companies don't give you more than a day. Amadeus has an itinerary that gives you 3 days in both Budapest and Prague. Sounds like we will need that time.

Linda:

We were on Viking and took the extensions in Budapest and Prague - yes, the extra time is needed!!!

• 2 weeks later...

most cruises that start in Prague include 3 nights there. However one day is basically lost by travelling there and the last day is lost since one is transferring to the ship. This leaves one full day in Prague and this is not enough. We did the Legendary Danube cruise on Symphony from Prague to Budapest and regretted not to have booked an extra pre-cruise program day in Prague.

• 1 month later...

Hi Bruce,

After much research and talking with a marketing person from Amadeus, we booked their new ship for September of 2007. I like the fact that their CEO used to work for Viking for a number of years--he knows the business. Their goal is to become the "boutique" river cruise line--with the hotel style linens, flat screen TV's, french balconies, etc. I also like the aspect of the bicycles--that little touch shows an attention to details. I worry some that with so few ships in their fleet that they may not have the best local guides, entertainment, and contingency plan for water level problems, but I am excited to be going.

Mom C

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also going on Amadeus. My 17 yo, German speaking daughter, and I chose the Amadagio because she's new and has the bicycles. We're in cabin 208, french balcony and I hope there won't be any water level issues!!!!!

I met the Amadeus Management team 2 weeks ago at a tradeshow and I've been hooked ever since! Now a few of my colleagues are booking her as well.

Thanks for all the information everyone.

We searched the internet for river cruises (that's how we ended up here !) and (also) found Amadeus Waterways and UET (which offered us the lowest price we could get). Last spring we were on our second European river cruise - on the Amadagio, which exceeded our highest expectations. We booked on the Amadagio because the ship is brand new and we were not disappointed. The lobby is really impressive with its high ceiling set off by an incredible modern painting by one of Holland’s most famous artists. The cabins are well appointed and all are equipped with plasma TV and hair dryer in the bathroom. The crew was very helpful, friendly and professional. Local performers entertained us nightly for some real “down home” entertainment. And if you wanted to burn those calories off, the Amadagio carried its own fleet of bicycles for those who wanted to explore the ports on their own. We enjoyed our cruise so much that we are planning to go on another in 2007.

Diane&4Girls,

I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise anyway, but if the "girls" were looking forward to the Christmas Markets, I'm afraid you will miss most of them if your cruise is 11/19. Most do not start until the last week of November, and Nuremberg does not start until 12/1.

Mom...that was stupid of me...I should have looked at your signature to see which cruise you were going on! :rolleyes: Anyway, sounds wonderful. If you have the time, would you be so kind as to write a review upon your return, as it is a trip that I would consider taking in the future??? Have a great time with your daughter! Isn't it great to have a daughter you love to travel and share the world with?!? :)

Archived