Amadeus, Avalon or Viking--how do you choose?

MomC

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My wife and I just finished the Christmas Markets cruise on the Amadagio fom Budapest to Prague. I gained 6 lbs. While the main course choices at dinner did not 'fill the plate', we found the food quality, the flavor of sauces used, and general plating to be first-rate. If you have a 'super sizer' traveling with you it is always possible to select or add a burger, salmon, chicken breast or to double order.

My wife and I just finished the Christmas Markets cruise on the Amadagio fom Budapest to Prague. I gained 6 lbs. While the main course choices at dinner did not 'fill the plate', we found the food quality, the flavor of sauces used, and general plating to be first-rate. If you have a 'super sizer' traveling with you it is always possible to select or add a burger, salmon, chicken breast or to double order.

I have never figured out why peop[le want to tour Europe and then want to be around English speaking people only.It is much more fun and interesting to explore the local culture.The best way to do that is to get to know those from other countries.

I agree with the last poster...the reason you go to Europe is to experience the culture, the food, the history, the language, and the people IMHO.

I did the Viking KD Rhine Cruise Amsterdam to Basel, Switzerland in Sept 01 and due to 9/11, most US passengers didn't make the cruise and only myself and 5 Canadians did.

It was delightful! My table mates included an Egyptian ambassador and his beautiful wife and a very elderly English professer and his wife right out of Fawlty Towers. To hear the ambassador's wife speak of their postings and some personal stories was a highlight of the trip.

If I want to be surrounded by North Americans, I'll stay home. 'When in Rome, do as the Romans!' and 'To each their own' which is why there are so many companies to choose from. Whichever one you choose, a river cruise in Europe is fabulous.

I totally agree with the last 2 posts regarding how much more interesting it is to meet people from around the world when traveling in Europe.

We took the GCT 14-day Normandy to Paris river cruisetour in May, 2004. It was our first river cruise, the itinerary included the Normandy beaches, the D-Day museum in Caen, and a memorable and emotional visit to the American Cemetary. Everything went beautifully and it was probably our best cruise ever. Apparently we were fortunate not to experience any problems at all with GCT, but after reading all the posts, we are leery of booking them again. Two points for your consideration:

- If going to Normandy, try to spend at least 2 days in Honfleur - it is a delightful surprise!

- GCT sells only to Americans, which is another reason I probably wouldn't book with them in the future. I appreciate the crew and staff being able to speak English, but to meet people from around the world is as important a part of a vacation as visiting new places and learning the history and culture of those places.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences - they are so helpful in trying to decide which trip to take next!

Joyce

Archived