tip amount added to drink???

CJcruzer

what is the gratuity amount that is added onto the drinks on HAL??

CJcruzer

I've heard 15% added to your tab. As I've never actually taken a cruise yet, I might be completely wrong...but that's what I've heard.

a 15% gratuity is added to each drink.

To each drink, or to the tab total at the end of the trip?...because we are talking about a HUGE difference in cost.

....well, maybe not HUGE...but there is a difference.

(edit)

From Cruisemates.com

"Tipping:

With the introduction of the Signature of Excellence program, HAL's tipping policy has changed. While tipping is still optional on HAL ships, "nominal" gratuities of $10.00 per person per day (including children) are automatically added to the shipboard account for dining and stateroom service. The amount can be increased, decreased or removed by visiting the front desk. A service charge of 15 percent is automatically added to bar bills."

15% per drink, it sounds worse than it really is. Beer is around 4.35 or so per bottle (tip included) and then they run specials called a "Bucket of Beer", 4 bottles for 12.00 (13.80 after the 15%, they keep the beer in the cooler and give them to you 1 at a time). Mixed drinks can run from 4.50 to 9.00 depending on your "poison". As far as the 10.00pp/pd, that will be 220.00 put on your shipboard account. for the 10 day cruise we're scheduled for, we'll put down about 2000.00 in travelers cheques (you can use a Credit Card) on our account when we get on board. That will be more than enough and I suspect we'll get some of that back at the end.

This 15% surcharge (tip) is also added to your dinner wine. Or lunch or breakfast wine, if you're so inclined.

In addition, it is also added to soft drinks.

It differs from the $10/day in that it cannot be removed from the check by the passenger.

The 15% is added to each drink and each bottle of wine individually. You order a drink in Ocean Bar, you get a check with the 15% added.

You order a bottle of wine, you get a check with the 15% added.

You go back 10 minutes later and get another drink, you will get a check with the 15% added.

AP, the information already given is correct---15% added to each drink. You might like knowing that you can run a tab in a given lounge, though. That way you only need to sign---and keep track of---one slip.

(er, I believe the math works out the same way whether you do the 15% on each drink and then total the bill, or do the total then the 15%. maybe pennies different due to rounding, but otherwise....)

Just looked at my copies of the receipts from our 6/2-9 Zaandam cruise and they label it a "beverage charge". They added 50 cents when my DH asked specifically for a Tanquerey Martini as opposed to a gin martini.

They will also add a 15% "beverage charge" when they replace anything used in the staterooms from the mini bar including water.

15% per drink, it sounds worse than it really is. Beer is around 4.35 or so per bottle (tip included) and then they run specials called a "Bucket of Beer", 4 bottles for 12.00 (13.80 after the 15%, they keep the beer in the cooler and give them to you 1 at a time). Mixed drinks can run from 4.50 to 9.00 depending on your "poison". As far as the 10.00pp/pd, that will be 220.00 put on your shipboard account. for the 10 day cruise we're scheduled for, we'll put down about 2000.00 in travelers cheques (you can use a Credit Card) on our account when we get on board. That will be more than enough and I suspect we'll get some of that back at the end.

Why $220? surely it should be $200.............jean:cool:

I was just on the 2006 World Voyage and the thing that really steamed me was that the only way you could buy a full bottle of scotch or anything else to consume in your cabin or surrepticiously on deck was through room service which added the 15%.The shop on board displayed booze at enticing prices but only on a duty free basis which meant they delivered it to you on the second last day of the cruise. As if they couldn't just sell you a bottle and let you bring it to your cabin but I guess it beats paying the serving staff better wages.

This policy with the inflated prices they charged cheesed so many people off that it became a game to smuggle booze on board which tasted so much better, like smoking behind the garage as a kid. Some were searched and the contraband confiscated to be returned also on the second last day of the cruise which fostered very bad feelings amoung many and led to a hell of a final night party as folks received booze they didnt want to lug home and so donated it to the common cause and the last day hangovers.

Celebrity has the same confiscation policy but never enforced it on our Galaxy cruise in september. The HAL security people were uncomfortable with it and were really only zealous about it if the bottle was in an open bag or if the Hotel Manager aka the Petty Officer was lurking nearby. It did create a them vs us atmosphere which has to be detrimental to HAL in the long run but they seem oblivious to such matters.

Another surprise was that juice was free in the Lido but if you ordered a glass in a bar $1.75 plus 15%. I always made a trip to the Lido for my TJ before trivia each sea day.

Ides

This policy with the inflated prices they charged cheesed so many people off that it became a game to smuggle booze on board which tasted so much better, like smoking behind the garage as a kid. Ides

You're such a rebel! I think I would have enjoyed this "game." Good for you! ;)

Archived