This is why I use a TA....

Danno

My TA just called to have me approve some changes for my cruise on Century in Feb...

Opt out of Celebrity"s air (now I won't get to see 50% of the airports in the USA!!) and take a direct Air Canada flight, savings $700 for the three of us.

She found a deal through their buying group at the Holiday Inn for $99, saving of $100 over my first choice and it's on the beach.

An Air Canada sale on the connector from our home town to Toronto (for our Bermuda cruise) that saves me a hotel room, parking fees, fuel and four hours of my time...savings about $250!!

She is watching for price drops in my booked cruises AND she got Celebrity to honor these stupid coupons that they send out to CC club members AFTER they have booked...another $150 (all figures $Can).

On the surface I know a lot of do-it-yourself bookings look cheaper, however in the end I think I get FAR better value from my TA.

Not to meantion the fact that I didn't have to do all this work...all in all, if she was 10% higher than my booking on line I would say I great value. I'm sure I've saved $500-1000!!

Danno

However, I still find it's extremely cheaper to book on-line and each part separate.

(Except for those American Airlines, Delta or other vacations like 5 nights in London with airfare for $450 etc.)

First of all I never book Cruise line airfare!!! It's a rip-off. I think I was quoted $700 pp airfare from Boston to San Francisco. (Thank you I can book non-stop for $260 pp) ;)

Hotels??? Well I believe no TA would be able to book Embassy suites in FLL for me for $55 or even $64 for our post-cruise stay. ;)

If you are willing to spend enough time on i-net you will save yourself alot of money. ;)

If you are willing to spend enough time on i-net you will save yourself alot of money. ;)

Maybe??? But it's the savings you never knew about, or that TA's only have as part of their buying groups, that seem to save me the most money. I'm sure that a highly skilled i-net person can do very well...however a great many people are new to the cruise game and need the advice and skill of a good TA.

I'm not in the travel business by the way.

Tatka...email me and we can swap hockey stories. Who knows hockey better than a Canadian and a Russian. These American folks, while well intentioned, haven't quite figured out the beauty this game has. Hope your son had the good sense to become a goaltender (they HATE being called GOALIES!!) ...my son could never figure out why everyone didn't want to play goal!!

I'm with Danno on this one...

And as to my TA, she's NOT higher than booking "on-line" or on my own...She discounts her commission the equal of or better than any on-line site I've seen...and she's a whole lot lower than doing it "directly through the cruise line"...

So, even if she WERE more expensive, she'd be worth it...but that's not the case...

So I get SERVICE PLUS PRICE...

My TA does cruises only (plus stuff like cruisetours, Celebrity Air and Celebrity Hotel packages)...If I want to book any segment on my own, I'm free to do0 that...and I can always watch for those cruise fare drops myself in addition to her monitoring--but, when I find them, she'll handle it for me...and fight with the lines to retroactively credit me for coupons...and she'll watch for the availability of preferred cabins...and she'll seek out "deals"...and she's aware of all of the special deals and strange quirks that I know nothing about...

Truth is that I honestly doubt I could "do it better on my own"...

Yeah, I'm good at researching stuff and finding stuff...but, with my TA, I've got a "partner" who's good at it as well...and two heads ARE better than one...

I have been using the same TA for years, she's come to be a good friend as well. Her prices are never more than a few dollars more than any internet sites I've seen and I don't have to go to the bother. I like knowing I have a "real" person in my area that is watching out for me. She's also good about watching out for specials. All of that is worth the few extra dollars more she may charge, but usually she gets me such good deals I think I end up doing better.

Terri

Y'all are lucky to find a local TA who will do all that work for you. If I could find one near me I would also very enthusiastic about using a TA versus the internet. In the meantime, I am going to start using the net for my cruises now that I know what I am doing. My present TA, as nice as she is, is always impressed with my cruising knowledge (and I feel like I'm still a newbie with only 3 under my belt). I have used her in the past because I was hesitant to deal with the unknown, but if I can save hundreds of $$$ (4 of us traveling), then I'm willing to risk it. (Of course this first time is going to be for a short 7 day cruise out of a port that I can get cheap flights into;) ).

BTW, I have asked her about meeting lower prices in the past, but she said she couldn't do it. I also have to follow up on price drops.

Maybe??? But it's the savings you never knew about, or that TA's only have as part of their buying groups, that seem to save me the most money. I'm sure that a highly skilled i-net person can do very well...however a great many people are new to the cruise game and need the advice and skill of a good TA.

I'm not in the travel business by the way.

Tatka...email me and we can swap hockey stories. Who knows hockey better than a Canadian and a Russian. These American folks, while well intentioned, haven't quite figured out the beauty this game has. Hope your son had the good sense to become a goaltender (they HATE being called GOALIES!!) ...my son could never figure out why everyone didn't want to play goal!!

Danno I was trying to e-mail you but got this message:

"Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails. "

Interestingly enough I found that we share Birthday (I am 1971 though).

My son seriously wanted to be a goaltender but we didn't let him. He doesn't play any other sports and doesn't get to move/run alot. We wanted him to run and not stay in the crease. He also started very late (almost 10) so most of goaltending positions were already taken. I am quite satisfied with his progress. He played on the last teams for a couple of years (In our town we have 6 levels for every age and he played for Squirts/PeeWees #5-6 for 3 years). This year he made Bantam #2!!!! Finally he won't be the best player on the team and will have somebody to learn from!

This is Mike in during one of the tournaments:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/120237135/128402236YkQYdZ

Sometimes I wish I lived in Canada were hockey is this popular. But Massachusetts is one of the best "hockey" states in US. ;)

Y'all are lucky to find a local TA who will do all that work for you. If I could find one near me I would also very enthusiastic about using a TA versus the internet. In the meantime, I am going to start using the net for my cruises now that I know what I am doing. My present TA, as nice as she is, is always impressed with my cruising knowledge (and I feel like I'm still a newbie with only 3 under my belt). I have used her in the past because I was hesitant to deal with the unknown, but if I can save hundreds of $$$ (4 of us traveling), then I'm willing to risk it. (Of course this first time is going to be for a short 7 day cruise out of a port that I can get cheap flights into;) ).

BTW, I have asked her about meeting lower prices in the past, but she said she couldn't do it. I also have to follow up on price drops.

I agree...specially that 90% of internet based www have phone service!!!

So far I booked 2 cruises by myself and in both cases was able to talk to inet TA. ;) In one case we were even able to downgrade our cabin when inside cabin became available!

I didn't book through http://www.cruisequick.com yet but probably will someday. They sent me great quotes! And they respond on e-mail in 20 - 30 minutes.

Have to agree CruisinTwinsMom. My TA, a cruise only agent, has booked my cruises for 10 years. We discussed our upcoming cruise several times and there was just no way she could come anywhere close to the Internet booking I got. The best she could do was still $600 more than what I booked for so there simply was no choice. Granted, our next cruise is really simple for us. No air as we're driving to the port and my wife lived in Galveston for several years and knows the town, hotels, restuarants, etc. So as nice and good of friend as my old time TA is there's just no justification to book this cruise through her.

Don't get me wrong, if I could save more money by doing it online I would, but my situation is probably different from a some people, because 1. I've been with the same person for so long she knows exactly the kind of things I like and whenever something good comes across her desk she let's me know right away. and 2. She's a good friend so she maybe works a little harder for me. I book several trips a year with her so she has incentive to do so.

Terri

Y'all are lucky to find a local TA who will do all that...

Mine actually isn't even local...She's 3,000 miles away...We do everything by 800 number and by fax and by FedEx...I don't need to be in the same room as my TA face-to-face to get personalized service...

And, it's far more convenient than when I used to use a "local" TA...then I had to drive back and forth to her office...

I do much research and then bring it to my TA to book the cruise. In this way if something did go wrong, I could have her get involved. If you book on line with someone other than the cruise line, who will be available to assist you in the event of any difficulties, whatever they may be? Can you get a live person to respond via phone? Having read and heard some horror stories about on line booking, I would only do so with the actual hotel/air pr cruise line. I do book hotel and air on line – but this is not cruise related. While there are just as many TA horror stories, I have been dealing with this TA for a while, they are in the same town – I know them personally which gives some peace of mind.

Let me pose this question for an opinion.

We have a neighbor who is a travel agent with a large So. Cal. travel agency. She is constantly telling us what deals she can get for us. She has given us quotes that are identical to the Celebrity web site. What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

No horror stories here, I've used both services and find that I am able to communicate quicker with my I-net cruise agent than my reg. TA. My I-net agent also finds me great deals accepts all coupons. I recently contacted him at 8am with a quick? while in port and he was as great as always.

Mine actually isn't even local...She's 3,000 miles away...We do everything by 800 number and by fax and by FedEx...I don't need to be in the same room as my TA face-to-face to get personalized service...

And, it's far more convenient than when I used to use a "local" TA...then I had to drive back and forth to her office...

Mine actually isn't even local...She's 3,000 miles away...

Hope I used this quote thing right. So how did you find such a great TA that's so far away.

BTW, I'm not begrudging anyone who has a great TA, that does so much work for them and is easily available. I'm just jealous that I don't have one and the only other recourse I feel I have is to go to the net.

So how did you find such a great TA that's so far away.

I actually found them originally through an internet search...

It was about 7 or 8 years ago...I had a specific cruise I had already picked out...I knew the sail date, the ship and the category of cabin I wanted...I had my old local TA price it...and another local TA...Then I went to the AAA and called Costco Travel...Then I went on the net and did an Alta Vista search using the parameters +cruise +price +discount or something of that sort...and found a bunch of travel agents, internet cruise booking services and other sites...I picked out about ten of them and solicited quotes...

There was quite a variance on quotes...so, I went with the lowest one (and they had beaten my old TA, the other local TA and the AAA by several hundred dollars on an approximately $3000 tab...Obviously, knowing exactly what I wanted, I went solely by price...

Well, everything went easily and smoothly and I was impressed with their professionalism as much as with the great price...So, the next year, I called them again with a specific cruise in mind...Just to be prepared, I priced the cruise with 2 or 3 other sources...again, they beat it...But, instead of booking me on that cruise (Carnival/Eastern Caribbean), she suggested an alternative on Royal Caribbean's Grandeur...She noted that for our preferred week of sailing, Carnival was still charging high season rates ($899) on 3rd and 4th passengers (we were taking our kids) while Royal Caribbean would be in its first week of "$199 3rd and 4th" fares...a bit of knowledge I did not know...this alone saved us $1400!!! And she assured us that the then-new Grandeur was a much nicer ship and probably more to our taste...and she was dead-on right...

Over the years, I have booked several cruises with this TA--for myself and for my parents...

The low price hooked me initially, but booking after booking, it's the service, the professionalism, the knowledge, the attitude and the personality which brings me back...

Let me pose this question for an opinion.

We have a neighbor who is a travel agent with a large So. Cal. travel agency. She is constantly telling us what deals she can get for us. She has given us quotes that are identical to the Celebrity web site. What do you think?

I'd say your neighbor is just a typical travel agent...the prices the cruise lines quote through their websites are the same prices they give to the TAs...buried in that price is the TA's commission...when you book direct, the line just pockets the commission...The way most Discount TAs give you a better price is by rebating a portion of their commission...

The other way they give you a deal is by booking large group rates and selling them as deals...

But, giving you the straight cruise line rate and calling it a deal is just BS...

My TA is about 6,000 miles away. She is as close as email. Very friendly and goes out of her way to be helpful. She basically held my hand through the booking of my first cruise arrangements.

I have to agree with you....IF booking online is going to save me $600.00 over another person, I have to go with the internet!

I have used 4 different TA's for all 4 of my Celebrity cruises...does that make me cheap? I don't know......for me though, I sail solo...it is very pricey and I have to go with the bottom dollar.

So for me, loyalty only goes so far....I do understand why Dan and Steve and all those who use the same TA for everything..well, I do understand their thinking.

They have someone who does all the leg work for them.

I enjoy researching everything (including the airfare). Actually most TA's don't even like to do airfare anymore.

Lets see, I used an online agency for my first Century Cruise....2nd one was on a recommendation, Mercury was booked through a friend I met on here:) and Horizon was from another someone from these boards too:D

My travel agent does Cruises only & is about 30 minutes from where I live. A couple of years ago in between jobs they were advertising the Celebrity Cruise to Bermuda that left from the Philly Navy Yard - I called to inquire about booking (it was only 45 days from the cruise) and asked for the best price with just me going. The lowest price in the lowest category was about $800. She called back 20 minutes later and said she got a rate of $900 - I figured I was in the bottom of the boat but actually I was in a partially obstructed ocean view room.

pkexton - I'm in Caln Twp. Which agency do you use? I use one thousands of miles away but would like to find someone GREAT close to home for the more personal touch - although the one I use now is pretty good. Just curious.

Patricia

These American folks, while well intentioned, haven't quite figured out the beauty this game has.

even though off topic, you cannot put all of us american folks in this category. My son played hockey from the age of 5 through Junior B and College. Some of us down here really appreciate the skills and dedication needed to play real hockey. Not to rub it in, but an American coach just won the Stanley Cup with a style of hockey which brought back some of the beauty of the game rather than the trap and goon tactics. (My son now works for that team)

Now I've got that off my chest, I can go pack for my flight to FLL on Friday.

Danno,

You are indeed a fortunate person to have such a wonderful TA. And since you frequently use these services, I assume the agency is doing well, has great staff providing professional service. And the Canadian pricing (not to mention taxation) can be so different from the States.

We booked our first cruise through a cruise-only agent locally. Unfortunately, they later merged with another 'regular' agency in a not-so-convenient (for us) location. We booked with a large name-brand agency on subsequent cruises. Although we use the internet extensively for air/hotel/car reservations (both domestic in international), there is just something we prefer about having someone we can see -- in addition to voice and electronic communications. One of our cruises hit a glitch and we were subsequently issued a 50% off coupon by X -- with extensive exclusions (quelle surprise!). However, she ensured we met the requirements and had a wonderful time on the Horizon. That's when we met the Amazing Carl (sigh). She followed up constantly on our behalf to ensure that we received all that we were entitled to. And we will be doing all the final stuff for our next cruise very soon.

I guess we're just a little bit this side of the Flat Earth types: we read about all these fabulous e-TAs, but can't quite yet bring ourselves to use them.

After all, if we don't use our current TA, and others don't, how long will her office be in business? We have seen local airline offices shut down with the switch by passengers to the internet. Delighted to hear that you are being so well served and how much you appreciate it!

BTW, have a wonderful Canada Day tomorrow!!

-Dave & Cat

Archived