Living In Halifax....

This has all been SO helpful!!

My father and I are arriving in Halifax on the Queen Mary 2 on July 3rd. We've decided that renting a car is best for us as he is a photographer and wants to see Peggy's Cove and being in a car means we can make stops anywhere he wants to photograph. But we are also Titanic enthusiasts and will want to see some of the Titanic artifacts and possibly the graveyard. So having our own transportation makes the most sense.

In my research on the internet, I can't seem to find any open rental car agencies (we're there on a Sunday) near the piers, other than the Budget agency which appears to be about. 4 block walk from the pier. I see that the Westin is closer but in trying to pull up reservations for National and the other agency there, on the Internet it's saying "no cars/open locations available".

But the Budget office is open at 8 on Sundays. Ayone know about this office? Have I chosen wisely in terms of getting a reliable car and an agency that isn't crazy far away from the pier?

Thanks again for all the help!! I realize the bulk of the posts on this thread are from 2005, so I'm not sure how accurate things are now that it's 6 years later. Can't WAIT to see Halifax!!

This has all been SO helpful!!

My father and I are arriving in Halifax on the Queen Mary 2 on July 3rd. We've decided that renting a car is best for us as he is a photographer and wants to see Peggy's Cove and being in a car means we can make stops anywhere he wants to photograph. But we are also Titanic enthusiasts and will want to see some of the Titanic artifacts and possibly the graveyard. So having our own transportation makes the most sense.

In my research on the internet, I can't seem to find any open rental car agencies (we're there on a Sunday) near the piers, other than the Budget agency which appears to be about. 4 block walk from the pier. I see that the Westin is closer but in trying to pull up reservations for National and the other agency there, on the Internet it's saying "no cars/open locations available".

But the Budget office is open at 8 on Sundays. Ayone know about this office? Have I chosen wisely in terms of getting a reliable car and an agency that isn't crazy far away from the pier?

Thanks again for all the help!! I realize the bulk of the posts on this thread are from 2005, so I'm not sure how accurate things are now that it's 6 years later. Can't WAIT to see Halifax!!

If you do this I'd suggest you also stop at the Swiss Air flight 111 memorial which is very close by.

• 3 weeks later...

We visited Halifax last September and went to the delightful Peggy's Cove -- a do not miss.

We will be back May 22nd and would like to spend our time in town. Can we get a cab at the pier to go up to the Citadel? (any Idea how much it wold cost).

Then we plan to walk down to the new city market etc.

Any information would be appreciated.

P&J

Rick, just wondering if I have some mobility issues, will I be able to walk around Peggy's Cove? Is the lobster lunch the ship's excursions take you to any good? We don't want to rent a car.

My alternative would be to walk the boardwalk or ride it on my scooter and go to Salty's for a lobster lunch.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

We visited Halifax last September and went to the delightful Peggy's Cove -- a do not miss.

We will be back May 22nd and would like to spend our time in town. Can we get a cab at the pier to go up to the Citadel? (any Idea how much it wold cost).

Then we plan to walk down to the new city market etc.

Any information would be appreciated.

P&J

The Citadel is not far. FRED (free rides everywhere downtown) will pick you up at the pier and stops at the Citadel.

Rick, just wondering if I have some mobility issues, will I be able to walk around Peggy's Cove? Is the lobster lunch the ship's excursions take you to any good? We don't want to rent a car.

My alternative would be to walk the boardwalk or ride it on my scooter and go to Salty's for a lobster lunch.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you have mobility issues I think Peggy's Cove would be difficult at best. Your alternate plan is a good one and Salty's does great lobster rolls.

The Citadel is not far. FRED (free rides everywhere downtown) will pick you up at the pier and stops at the Citadel.

FRED is great!!!! We took it a couple of years ago. They actually had a tour director on it pointing out all the places of interest.

You can get on and off as many times as you want. It is right in the parking lot of the pier.

Enjoy!

Jeanne

It appears that FRED is a non-starter for us. As we posted, we will be in Halifax on May 22nd. The FRED site states that it only runs from July to October.

Anyone have any idea what a cab ride would be from pier 21 to the Citadel?

P&J

It appears that FRED is a non-starter for us. As we posted, we will be in Halifax on May 22nd. The FRED site states that it only runs from July to October.

Anyone have any idea what a cab ride would be from pier 21 to the Citadel?

P&J

We took a taxi from Pier 21 to the Citadel this past October. It was $10. The taxis waiting at Pier 21 are trying to get people who are looking for tours to Peggy's Cove so don't be surprised if they aren't thrilled to take you to the Citadel. They are required to take you though but the guy we got was none too happy. Someone else posted a similar experience a while back.

Even if FRED was running, it doesn't start until mid morning anyway. We took the taxi to the Citadel first thing, made the second guided tour of the day and then walked down the hill from the Citadel to the boardwalk. We went to most of the stores, had lunch, took a brewery tour at Alexander Keith's, did a little more shopping and then walked back to Pier 21.

Starting the day not having to climb up to the Citadel was perfect for us.:D

If I want to see the Titanic cemetery and the Maritime museum, are those things in walking distance from the pier? If it's a long walk I can use my scooter. I see HAL has a tour but they don't say if it's just a waking tour.

Has anyone ever heard of/dealt with either Tour by Taxi or Halifax Taxi Tours? Both offer excursions by sedan, which we really like, and will take us to all the pertinent local spots.

I'd appreciate any feedback you could give me. We are 3 adults arriving on the Carnival Glory on August 2.

Thanks!!!

Can anyone that has been to Halifax or lives in the area let me know what is available at the port on the day of arrival for taxi tour services and prices. I have been looking at pre booking with Halifax Taxi Tours. It is $180 or 4 hours. Are there tour taxis that wait for people coming off the ship at a better rate? We thought about renting a car but would somewhat like to have a good tour guide.

We will be there Oct 13, 2011.

Thanks, Will

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We were able to rent a car and will drive to Peggy's cove. Is there a good place to watch whales from the shoreline around Peggy's cove or Mahone Bay in July?

Mahone Bay is an inlet and you will see no whales there. There are usually not many whales to be seen off of Peggy's Cove. If you want to see whales, this is not the place to go; you would be better off by the Bay of Fundy.

Apologies if this has been discussed in the prior 25 pages. I did a search, but did not come up with the answer.

Can someone suggest the best sites in Halifax when traveling with children? Two girls ages 8 and 10. We're fine with going with the ship's options or going on our own. Looking for something that would not be too "boring" - per the 8 year old who thought the Mayan Ruins was the worst place she had ever visited!

They really are great travelers but like a bit of action vs. just looking.

Archived