Volendam- What Can You Tell Me?

Gabrielle R.

My Husband and I are looking at Volendam for Christmas. Good choice or bad choice? What did you like/dislike about Volendam? Yup, I've sailed on HAL before Rotterdam. Any advice/information would be appreciated. Thanks! Gabrielle

Well, I've never sailed the Volendam, but will remedy that situation in a couple of weeks. I'm sure she's better than good---sheeeeeee's GREAT! (as Tony the Tiger says.;) )

She's essentially the same size as the Rotterdam, with essentially the same deckplan.

If you liked the Rotterdam, then I can't think of any reason not to like the Volendam. It's the same HAL service, food, style of cruising.

I'll do a report of my cruise; I'll include info about the ship in it.

YES! Please tell me how you liked the food! We were a bit disappointed with the chef aboard the Rotterdam- But have heard from other people that they were pleased with the food. So please do tell about your cruise!! I'll look forward to it. Thanks! Gabrielle

Volendam is a gorgeous ship IMO She is elegantly beautiful with a fantastic crew. We sailed her last October before her SOE and thought her great. We returned in January, after her SOE, and she was even better. :)

Food is so subjective but we very much enjoyed her dining room and Lido.......Room Service Breakfasts were great! We truly had no complaints in 20 days aboard.

We'd sail her anytime without hesitation.

Holidays on her will be fabulous!!

We were on the Volendam this past February. Absolutely wonderful ship, great crew, fantastic service, and good to excellent food. We have a warm spot in our hearts for the Ryndam as we've been on her a couple of times, including our honeymoon, but I'd have to say the Volendam is our favorite. See our cruise photos at: www.geocities.com/theklugspage

Sailed on Volendam in May to Alaska. Only other HA cruise was Oosterdam. We LOVED the size of the Volendam. Our balcony cabin, service, food, deck space, viewing from the Crow's Nest - it was all just great! Enjoy!

Randy, Thanks for the great pictures! EXACTLY what I was looking for! I had to check out your King Tut stuff too. I teach History at a high school so love all that cool history stuff.

Question for anyone out there: What deocation is on board the Volendam? What I mean is, On board the Rotterdam there were the Terra Cotta Warriors in a section on the ship. Does Volendam have anything like that? I just loved the art, so I was wondering. I didn't notice that in Randy's photos.

Thank you all again for the information! I am waiting to hear from my husband on his time off at Christmas so I can make a FINAL decision. Gabrielle:rolleyes:

I have sailed on both the Rotterdam and the Volendam. Both are spectacular ships, but I prefer the Volendam, not sure why, but I just do. If you enjoyed the Rotterdam, you will certainly enjoy the Volendam, spectacular ship and an even more spectacular crew.

Gabrielle - The overall theme for the Volendam, as I recall, is flowers. Lots and lots of beautiful flower paintings throughout the ship. One of the other items I really liked was the antique model boat collection in the Ocean Bar. I spent some time in there on a quiet afternoon looking at the half a dozen or more models. There are other antiques spread throughout the ship in little nokes and crankies.....one of the things we enjoy about HAL. :) If I had education to do over again I'd probably study history so anything along those lines really interests me.

Volendam was my first for HAL and I would travel on her again, and again. The service is above board, the rooms are wonderful (deluxe verandah suite) and the steward, bartenders and waiters were the best I've ever seen.....and yes, the food was great. I can't wait to go back on the Volendam.

• 2 weeks later...

Tell me a little more about Volendam. We are considering her for a 10 day Southern Carib. We have been on Zuiderdam twice and RCCL ships many times. I get a little bored on Zuiderdam because I find the sea days have very few activities. Volendam is a bit smaller than that and with 4 sea days I may be a little nuts after awhile. But I love the itinerary and I find the idea of a smaller ship to be interesting.

We can also do the Westerdam for 7 days for Western Carib which would also be OK and quite a bit less price.

Which to do?

Thanks.

While there are variations from ship to ship on HAL generally speaking the line is not known for extensive organized activites. They have some but maybe not as many as other lines. My experience has been it really depends on the CD and their staff, some are more "active" than others. We loved our 10-day Southern Caribbean cruise on the Volendam but we're not much into organized activities so "fun" for us on sea days is sleeping in and just generally relaxing. We really enjoyed the Culinary Arts program on the Volendam and went to the free presentation and then signed up for one of the classes. No exactly high energy but we really enjoyed it.

Should add that the good Rev almost guaranteed that we'd love the Volendam before our cruise. He was absolutely right....Volendam is fantastic!

Our last 2 trips have been on Volendam. It's a great ship. The southern itinerary was the one we took in Jan of this yr. We felt it was a great mix of port and sea days but then we enjoy sea days.

We found plenty to do, we like finding a comfy corner and reading but also enjoyed going to trivia, pictionary, catch phrase etc. Those game things generally bring out a fun loving group that you get to know fairly well after a few days.

Also, now that we've done a couple 10 day trips, the choice of a 10 day over a 7 is a no brainer for us. Love it on day 7 when you still have 3 days left rather than getting ready to disembark.

Take a couple books you've been wanting to read and also go participate in the games that are offered and you'll have a great time.

Do get a taxi driver to take you out to the countryside and some of the beaches in Curacao. It is gorgeous. You will miss a lot if you don't venture outside of Willemstad. Also look into doing a tour with Beno in Dominica. You'll find a lot of testimonials about him on the Dominica port of call board.

Randy, Thanks for the great pictures! EXACTLY what I was looking for! I had to check out your King Tut stuff too. I teach History at a high school so love all that cool history stuff.

Question for anyone out there: What deocation is on board the Volendam? What I mean is, On board the Rotterdam there were the Terra Cotta Warriors in a section on the ship. Does Volendam have anything like that? I just loved the art, so I was wondering. I didn't notice that in Randy's photos.

Thank you all again for the information! I am waiting to hear from my husband on his time off at Christmas so I can make a FINAL decision. Gabrielle:rolleyes:

I have been on the Volendam.....very pretty ship. However, there were a lot less actual antiques then as on the Ryndam or Statendam. Also the nice murano glass ceiling as on the Ryndam was replaced by a black ceiling on the Volendam.

I took the ship art tour and the guide mentioned that many things were "echo-deco" ( meaning new...but made to look old.)

There are still some fine antiques and art on board, so be sure and search them out.

I have not been on the Rotterdam, so I can't compare that one.

By the way, the Dining Room on the Volendam has some of the finest, elegant chairs I have ever seen on a ship!

I know you will enjoy your cruise on the Volendam!

I can't begin to tell you how REASSURING all of these wonderful Volendam reviews have been! We can't wait! :)

We sailed on the Ryndam (Mexican Riviera) Christmas '04, and it was wonderful. Many happy, well-behaved childrn and families (ours included), lovely Christmas decorations and holiday-themed meals, entertainment, etc. Elves were on deck Christmas morning singing and cavorting, and Santa arrived on the top deck - he had presents for all the children in the big theater. You won't go wrong!

Bev

(been on the old Rotterdam, Maasdam, Zaandam, old Noordam, and are booked Oct. 28 Oosterdam....... along with many other cruise lines).

Archived