Different Ideas in Grand Cayman

texjes

We are cruising on Conquest in July -- we have previously done the Stingrays and don't want to repeat. I will have 2 of my daughters with me -- ages 12 & 10. Any other ideas for what to do in Grand Caymen?

We have done the Stingray tour as well but unfortunately the young ones in my group want to do it again. I would like to something else but I was overruled. Here is what I dug up about Caymans.

City Attractions

The eclectic shopping in George Town includes artifacts for making handcrafted jewelry, antiques, salvaged coins and old maps. Cardinal Avenue is the main shopping street. On it, you'll find Caymania Duty Free, one of the island's best-known duty free shops for perfumes, cosmetics and gemstones. Kirk Freeport is another terrific duty free choice, with Swiss watches, fine china and crystal. The Jewelry Center offers designer baubles. At the Galleria Plaza (West Bay Road), a number of shops sell duty free stuff.

Queen Elizabeth II Botanic Park consists of 65 acres of everything from nature walks to natural wetlands to colorful floral gardens. It's located in the North Side district. (Daily from 9 a.m.; $7.50.)

The Pedro St. James "Castle" is considered the birthplace of democracy in the Cayman Islands. In 1831, residents met here to elect the Cayman's first legislative assembly. The great house itself, circa 1780, is the island's oldest stone structure. It has lovely grounds that are ideal for strolling. Check out the panoramic view from the Great Pedro Bluff. (Daily from 9:00 a.m.; $8.)

Scuba diving is one of the Cayman Islands' main attractions, and the Cayman Wall is a world-renowned dive site. The island abounds with dive and snorkeling operators, such as Ocean Frontiers (1-888-232-0541) and Bob Soto's (1-800-262-7686).

Staying in Touch

Cable and Wireless has two in-town locations: right at the North Terminal dock and on Cardinal Avenue behind Columbian Emeralds. It costs 25 cents per minute. You'll find other options at Galleria Plaza, West Bay Road.

Popular things to see

The Tortuga Rum Company (S. Church Street and various other locations) makes incredible rum cakes. You can sample the different flavors before buying.

The Cayman Turtle Farm is home to 16,000 turtles. It's a unique breeding ground and research center for five species of green sea turtles. (Northwest Point Road, West Bay; daily from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.; $6)

The town of Hell is, admittedly, a tourist trap (it's centered on a field of crusty black, razor-sharp rocks that look like the surface of, well, hell), but you may find it difficult to resist the impulse to send a postcard that's postmarked "hell."

Beaches

Seven Mile Beach (which is actually about 5 1/2 miles long) starts at George Town and has everything from beachfront bars to water sports.

Sea Grape Beach Grand Cayman's newest beach destination, very clean and had a restaurant, bar, nice restrooms, chair, umbrella, and float rentals, and a deck area in the sand. They were also offering banana boat rides and parasailing for a charge. $10 per chair $5 for a umbrella with chair rental

Royal Palms Beach Club this place has a great beach, food , fun locals, water sports, and showers

Beach Club Colony Hotel

All about a $5.00 per person van cab ride each way

Rum Point Beach on the North side of the island

Boatswain's Beach new mega beach and turtle park not open let may be open when you arrive estimated admission fee $50

Hyatt Regency Resort: to get a beach chair, you have to buy a day pass for $35. It includes a $15 food and booze credit. The Comfort Suites next door has no daily fee for cruisers and reasonable prices, but it's back a bit from the beach, a 50 yard walk from the pool. Their loungers on the beach are included.

Hope you have a good time.

There is a Jeep 4X4 tour that takes you too Rum point with many stops along the way; Pedro's castle, Blow hole, etc. Click on this link above for details. Sounds like a good way for a family to spend the day. Or, if you don't want a guided tour, you could rent a jeeep and do this drive yourself. I am not that confident in my Left side of the street driving ability!

Bon Voyage

Archived