Seating according to age?

We officially booked our 11 day Eastern Med on the Galaxy today :D

Our TA said he would try to have us seated with people in "our age category." I mean no disrespect at all but on my only other cruise (for my 30th birthday), our table mates, while extremely nice, were 50+ years older than us and slept through dinner. They had no interest in talking about their activities that day (they went to *Moscow* for Pete's sake and just mumbled about being driven around on a bus).

Anyway, I'd be perfectly happy with a diverse age grouping, but if we can be seated with people we may have a little more in common with than our last table, that would be nice. Is it possible though? I've never heard of this.

And really and truly, no disrespect meant towards other passengers. :) One of my good friends is 74 and I'm trying to talk him into coming on this trip.

You might want to join the Roll Call for your ship and see if there appear to be new 'friends' who you'd like to have join you for dinner. We (much older than you :)) did that last year and ended up with an eclectic table with ages ranging from 29-78. It was great...we loved meeting new people and enjoyed everyone regardless of age. Trick was to ask for a large table (8-10, thought we prefer 8) then if you have nothing in common with some of your dinner mates, you will with others. In 15 cruises we've only had one that was a bit difficult.

Check (or have your TA check) to see what age category they have you listed as. On our last two cruises we've been seated with people much older than us (nice people, just older) and thought perhaps we were old enough to be included in their category. I made a change to a future booking and when Celeb e-mailed me confirmation of the change I discovered they had my wife and I listed in the higher age group. Not sure how that happened but it could explain a lot.

You might want to join the Roll Call for your ship and see if there appear to be new 'friends' who you'd like to have join you for dinner. We (much older than you :)) did that last year and ended up with an eclectic table with ages ranging from 29-78. It was great...we loved meeting new people and enjoyed everyone regardless of age. Trick was to ask for a large table (8-10, thought we prefer 8) then if you have nothing in common with some of your dinner mates, you will with others. In 15 cruises we've only had one that was a bit difficult.

Yes, we met another couple on CC on our last cruise, and though we unfortuntaly did not get to sit with them we ended up becoming great friends and are actually headed to Florida to go see them this weekend :)

RickT - thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to check what category they have us in.

RickT: I would like to know how you checked with Celebirty as to the age group they had you listed under.

Although I am 80 years "young" I would not wish to be seated with everyone of that age , I live with that group every day, and cruise to "get away", but of course I also would not want to be with a young family with children still in high chairs, or eating with their hands.

I would like to run the same check on my age grouping with the cruise line.

\

Thank you

Your TA would have you age or general age bracket and would pass this on to the cruise line via her system or by phoning. That is how the lines match people with ages. It does not always work as some lines attract the older population and others the younger group. To the OP, an 11 day meditarain cruise will attract more of those 50 plus. this does not mean there will not be lots of 30 somethings and families on the cruise, but there will be many more 50, 60 and 70 year olds. The longer the cruise the older the cruisers. This would work the other way for the 3 and 4 day cruises: hard for those past 60 to find lots in their age group on these cruises. good luck and yes, Celebrity will do their best, but enjoy your table mates period. Sometimes they can be more interesting and fun than people in your own age group. Our DD and SILL did a transatlantic last spring. The table sat 6 and they were the only ones under 60, but it was the best group they have had in 20 cruises. Well best other than with their kids and mom and dad. LOL

Call Celebrity and confirm that you are in the correct age group (last time we cruised we were in a much older group and they did correct this). Also, as soon as you board, go see the matre'd - they can check on the computor who is at your table and their ages - we did change our table two years ago and had a terrific table with several couples in our age group (we were orignially with much much older people, don't know why).

If Celebrity is grouping tablemates by age, it certainly hasn't been done on any of our X cruises. We've had young newlyweds, retired oldsters and middleaged, all at the same tables. On two of our X cruises, we have had tablemates that didn't even speak a word of english. On one of our X cruises WE were the only people at the table (that included young children) that spoke english. I have totally given up on the ability of X to seat a table of similar people, I don't believe they even try.

I would bet that you just had some bad luck there. I am in my 30's:rolleyes: and I can say that I know some people 50 and older that I can't keep up with:eek: . That said, I would like to meet others that are close to my age group as well. I guess we will see, we are going on the 11 day med in Sept. I hope you have a good time!;)

RickT: I would like to know how you checked with Celebirty as to the age group they had you listed under.

Although I am 80 years "young" I would not wish to be seated with everyone of that age , I live with that group every day, and cruise to "get away", but of course I also would not want to be with a young family with children still in high chairs, or eating with their hands.

I would like to run the same check on my age grouping with the cruise line.

\

Thank you

Perhaps calling X will allow them to tell you the age group they have you listed as. It may or may not impact who they seat you with. I discussed this with my current agent and he promised to fix it (I'll see when I board the Constellation at the end of July).

This is fascinating! I use a cane due to MS and on our first cruise with Celebrity we were seated with three other couples all of whom used either a cane or a scooter!

It was awful to be honest. For me, it is enough to have an 'issue' without it being used as a 'bonding agent' at a table. I really didn't want either to discuss my illness or hear about others', especially as a conversation opener!

DH and I changed to a table for two for the remainder of the cruise.

I have wondered how this happened, but now i know how to check on it.

Hi Badger 71 and M & M's - it's reassuring that others are addicted to these boards as much as my husband and myself are! I hope all is well with you all - we are drowning in rain, rain and more rain in upstate NY (and my week vacation from school!). Hope to meet up with you again on a future cruise. Keep well. Vicky

Perhaps calling X will allow them to tell you the age group they have you listed as. It may or may not impact who they seat you with. I discussed this with my current agent and he promised to fix it (I'll see when I board the Constellation at the end of July).
one little problem here: if you book via a Travel Agent all communication must go through them. I doubt Celebrtiy will even answer your question but you can always give it a try. NMnita

What I actually think would be nice is a mixture of ages. We have friends of all ages, probably half of them are my parents' age or older and because we don't have kids, we don't always have a ton in common with other early 30s. A diverse group would mean more opportunity for interesting conversation I think.

What made our table interesting 2 out of the 10 nights on our HAL Baltic cruise was the presence of the ship nurse and her husband. Wine was on the house and they were very talkative and interesting.

From our experience whenever we book a table for 8 we've had a broad range of ages (mostly 30-50), some singles, some married and all spoke English. I was told by a TA that they do try to make sure everyone at the table speaks the same language. Of the 15 different cruises we've been on we've only had 2 "bad" tables with people who were either obnoxious, non-communicative or half asleep - but it really didn't bother us much as they came to dinner only once or twice. Ii think overall most cruisers are lots of fun to be around as we all have the love of travel in common and that makes for great conversation:p

Our table of 6 last week seemed to have been grouped by age.

5 of us were within 4 years of each other in terms of age.

The 6th was the teen-aged daughter of one of the adults.

We were so damn lucky!!!

WE had a great time with them!!!

Bernadette

Archived