Cruise Air Warning

My husband and I were on the June 19th sailing of the Sovereign. We had booked our air and transfers through Royal Caribbean. We booked through Royal Caribbean because it was my impression that if we had any problems with our flights/transfers that we had a place to call and someone to help us solve the problem. This seems to be true in some circumstances, but not in the circumstances that we happened to find ourselves.

We finished our cruise Friday morning and flew from Orlando to Charlotte, NC. Our flight was to leave Charlotte at 4:15 pm and arrive at BWI (Baltimore) at around 5:30 pm. At first, our flight was delayed because of lightening on the ground. Later, the pilot explained that we needed permission from “Washington” to enter their air space. Apparently, that space was so crowded that no permission was being given.

We sat on the tarmac for 4 hours and 40 minutes. At some point, we were offered a small cup of water. After 4 hours and 20 minutes, and the pilot determining that we would probably go back to the gate as the flight crew were reaching their limits, we were to be allowed to walk to the front or back of the plane to get a real drink (they were unable to serve us on the ground).

We got off the, now cancelled, flight to BWI at just after 9:00 pm. My husband and I decided to get something to eat before trying to rebook as the airport restaurants were close to closing and we didn’t know what the rest of our night would be like. Around 9:45 I discovered that the cancellation problem involved many more flights than ours, and that the line to rebook was amazingly long.

At this point, we got into line and called Royal Caribbean to ask if they could help us. The first person we spoke to gave us another number to call (amazingly enough, it was the same number had called). The second person we spoke to told us to go ahead and stay in line, and if we did not have our problem resolved within 45 minutes to call back. We were still in line 45 minutes later and called Royal Caribbean back. They said that there was nothing they could do to help us and that we had to deal directly with the airline. The woman said we ought to insist upon getting hotel and meal vouchers (ROFL-trust me, that did not happen).

We knew that there was a newly opened 6:00 am flight to Baltimore (the pilot told us that). As we stood in line we heard that the flight was full, that all the flights to Baltimore for Saturday were full and that some people were unable to get flights to their destination until Sunday or Monday. We knew that most of this information was probably rumor and such, but it made us nervous all the same. What I wanted from Royal Caribbean was for them to intervene and either get us on the 6:00am flight (without our having to stand in line for hours) or find an option that that was equally suitable.

After standing in line for just over 2 hours, we were able to get booked on the 6:00am flight to Baltimore without any problem. I called my travel agent on Monday and she explained that Royal Caribbean was under NO obligation to help me in those circumstances because my problem was with the airline. This makes me wonder. Had we experienced the same situation going TO our cruise, would Royal Caribbean intervened? If not, then what is the point of booking through them? What problem could I experience while flying that wouldn’t be something I need to deal directly with the airline for?

In other words, I have no idea if Royal Caribbean is EVER obligated to help arrange alternate flights, or if they ONLY do so as courtesy for their guests trying to get to their cruises. Knowing what I know now, I would not purchase cruise air. If you are considering purchasing cruise air, it would probably be a good idea to investigate more closely exactly what kind of help, if any, you are likely to receive.

Its unfortunate that your vacation ended on a down note, but what you need to remember is that the weather conditions in the Baltimore/Washington DC area this past weekend were monumentally bad. Anywhere from 10-15 INCHES of rain had fallen in this area over just 2-3 days making travel by any means a true challenge.

I don't really see how RCI could have done anything to help in this situation. You were stuck along with hundreds and hundreds of other passengers, and I don't think RCI could have exerted any amount of 'pull' to get you to the head of the line. Heck, with the number of stranded passengers, even RCI may have had to 'stand in line' with other tour operators to have their customers taken care of.

If it had happened at the beginning of the trip, there still may not have been much RCI could have done other than help you re-join the ship at its next port. Weather is just out of everyone's control, and as much as we don't want it to interfere with our plans it does...and there's not much we can do to change that.

Did the airline set you up in a hotel or did you have to spend the night at the airport?

Sorry about your nightmare? This is why I rarely fly. I get anxiety just thinking about waiting in lines at the airport and having to sleep there when cancelations happen. And it happens alot.

If it had happened at the beginning of the trip, there still may not have been much RCI could have done other than help you re-join the ship at its next port.

Sure, RCI would have arranged a way for you to join the ship at the next port IF YOU PAID ALL THE TRAVEL FEES for doing so.

The above situation is when trip insurance comes in handy.

Had we experienced the same situation going TO our cruise, would Royal Caribbean intervened? If not, then what is the point of booking through them?

If you book your air with RCI they will usually make sure you get to the ship. So if you were delayed getting to the ship on the first day of the cruise and the ship sailed without you, they would arrange to get you to the next port to catch up to the ship. In addition, if there were several other people on the same flight on its way to the ship that had RCI make their air arrangements they may delay the departure of the ship to wait for the flight to arrive if possible. If you make your own arrangements and you get to the port and miss the ship you are strictly on your own and they are certainly not going to delay the departure of the ship to wait for you. This is the reason that many people fly to the point of departurethe day before the cruise.

Wow sorry to hear about you situation.

After being on 30 plus cruises dealing with most of the major cruise lines I can say that they all pretty much have the same policy.

The cruise lines are NOT responsible for getting you to the pier or home again. With this said I know that almost all cruise lines including RCI will intervene and help you as much as possible to get you to the ship in time. They will helping priority to those that booked the air with them. I don't know of any cruise line that could have or would have helped you in your situation. They will assit in getting you to the airport in time and MAYBE get you on the first flight but when it comes to the connection you are at the mercy of the airlines. In reality the cruise lines are also at the mercy of the airlines.

A little tip is when you find yourself on a canceleld flight get into line and while in line call the airlines on you cell phone and book yourself onto the next flight. When you get to the counter the flight may be sold out but you have your reservation so all they have to do is change your record.

My husband and I were on the June 19th sailing of the Sovereign. We had booked our air and transfers through Royal Caribbean. We booked through Royal Caribbean because it was my impression that if we had any problems with our flights/transfers that we had a place to call and someone to help us solve the problem. This seems to be true in some circumstances, but not in the circumstances that we happened to find ourselves.

We finished our cruise Friday morning and flew from Orlando to Charlotte, NC. Our flight was to leave Charlotte at 4:15 pm and arrive at BWI (Baltimore) at around 5:30 pm. At first, our flight was delayed because of lightening on the ground. Later, the pilot explained that we needed permission from “Washington” to enter their air space. Apparently, that space was so crowded that no permission was being given.

We sat on the tarmac for 4 hours and 40 minutes. At some point, we were offered a small cup of water. After 4 hours and 20 minutes, and the pilot determining that we would probably go back to the gate as the flight crew were reaching their limits, we were to be allowed to walk to the front or back of the plane to get a real drink (they were unable to serve us on the ground).

We got off the, now cancelled, flight to BWI at just after 9:00 pm. My husband and I decided to get something to eat before trying to rebook as the airport restaurants were close to closing and we didn’t know what the rest of our night would be like. Around 9:45 I discovered that the cancellation problem involved many more flights than ours, and that the line to rebook was amazingly long.

At this point, we got into line and called Royal Caribbean to ask if they could help us. The first person we spoke to gave us another number to call (amazingly enough, it was the same number had called). The second person we spoke to told us to go ahead and stay in line, and if we did not have our problem resolved within 45 minutes to call back. We were still in line 45 minutes later and called Royal Caribbean back. They said that there was nothing they could do to help us and that we had to deal directly with the airline. The woman said we ought to insist upon getting hotel and meal vouchers (ROFL-trust me, that did not happen).

We knew that there was a newly opened 6:00 am flight to Baltimore (the pilot told us that). As we stood in line we heard that the flight was full, that all the flights to Baltimore for Saturday were full and that some people were unable to get flights to their destination until Sunday or Monday. We knew that most of this information was probably rumor and such, but it made us nervous all the same. What I wanted from Royal Caribbean was for them to intervene and either get us on the 6:00am flight (without our having to stand in line for hours) or find an option that that was equally suitable.

After standing in line for just over 2 hours, we were able to get booked on the 6:00am flight to Baltimore without any problem. I called my travel agent on Monday and she explained that Royal Caribbean was under NO obligation to help me in those circumstances because my problem was with the airline. This makes me wonder. Had we experienced the same situation going TO our cruise, would Royal Caribbean intervened? If not, then what is the point of booking through them? What problem could I experience while flying that wouldn’t be something I need to deal directly with the airline for?

In other words, I have no idea if Royal Caribbean is EVER obligated to help arrange alternate flights, or if they ONLY do so as courtesy for their guests trying to get to their cruises. Knowing what I know now, I would not purchase cruise air. If you are considering purchasing cruise air, it would probably be a good idea to investigate more closely exactly what kind of help, if any, you are likely to receive.

Unfortunately, when you purchase an airline ticket, you are paying money for the airline to get you to your destination -- and that can be only any flight, in any seat, at any time. You are never guaranteed a particular flight/seat.

If an airline has to cancel/change a flight due to their own circumstances (mechanical problem/they got you in late and there are no other options out), then you are entitled to some kind of compensation (hotel/food vouchers/voucher for anyother trip/etc.) If they have to cancel/delay due to circumstances beyond their control, i.e., weather, then they owe you nothing. Anything they provide at that point is just marketing and customer relations. And also unfortunately, where there are that many displaced people, they can't really give hotel rooms to everyone.

As terrible as it was, RCCL didn't owe you anything, either. They are not the airline, and they didn't create the bad weather. I hate to say it, but that is one of the pitfalls of travel -- sometimes things don't work out in your favor. I don't mean that to sound so harsh, it's just a matter of fact.

It's my understanding that the only thing that purchasing air through the cruiseline gets you is, if your flight is late, they can try to hold the ship until you get there, or help you make arrangements to meet up with the ship at a future docking point. No more, no less.

It's obvious that I didn't have a good understanding of the benefits of cruise air. I just wanted to caution others to understand it better before they decided to pay extra for it.

We drove home on Tuesday from my parents house in Baltimore and the rain was horrible before we left. I hope everyone is safe. The situation looked pretty bad.

We were not offered hotel vouchers and didn't ask because by the time we got our boarding passes it was already past midnight and our flight was to begin boarding at 5:30. It didn't seem worth bothering with. A woman who was traveling with a child was offered a voucher, so perhaps they were limited to those in more difficult circumstances than we two healthy, credit card holding, adults were. :D

We were much too tired to try to drive 8 hours in the dark.

We really were in a very good situation to be stranded! We did not have our children with us, and while we certainly wanted to go home, my husband didn't have to be at work for several more days. We had necessities with us like, toothbrushes and deodorant.

What was surprising is that people mostly handled the situation in stride. Only 2 people out of the whole crowd got nasty with the airline personnel!

In the end, everything worked out ok. We had a little adventure to talk about and I learned that I really don't ever want to go on the Amazing Race (what with all the time they seem to spend sleeping in airports!).

My travel agent did warn me that these types of problems are becoming more frequent. Because of how crowded air space is, one delay in one area begins a cascade effect that affects large numbers of people. Definitely fly in a day early if it is at all possible!

Thanks for sharing your story -- valuable information for all of us to have. And I'm glad you made it home safely.

And you bring up another good point about the others getting nasty with the airline personnel -- this NEVER gets you anywhere, plus it's just unfair. That person behind the counter didn't have anything to do with the situation, so getting angry with them will get you no where. Plus, they are usually the ones who can make life a little bit better if at all possible. I've found using a little bit of manners and politeness, after a long line of screamers, gets me a lot that I probably wasn't entitled to.

We were not offered hotel vouchers and didn't ask because by the time we got our boarding passes it was already past midnight and our flight was to begin boarding at 5:30. It didn't seem worth bothering with. A woman who was traveling with a child was offered a voucher, so perhaps they were limited to those in more difficult circumstances than we two healthy, credit card holding, adults were. :D

Since it was a weather delay, the airline probably helped arrange a discounted fare at a hotel for her - but she still had to pay for it. Coming home from my Serenade cruise in March, bad weather in Dallas (bad floods) caused hundreds of flights to be cancelled. I had to spend the night in Dallas, not because my flight was cancelled, but because my flight from San Juan was overbooked so AA paid for my hotel room. As I stood in line to get my hotel voucher, they were giving people that were stranded by the weather vouchers for discounted hotels rooms, but only if they requested it.

Since a call to them to inform them of what you were going thru. CSA is who we use & we were stranded in San Juan when NWA decided to go on strike over the Thanksgiving weekend years ago. They got us hotel rooms with meal vouchers til we could fly home. We had to pay but they refunded us in whole.

They are the only insurance comapny that refunds 100% for bad weather. Xmas Even 2 years ago CLE was shut down due to 3 feet of snow in 2 hours in a freak blizzard that even weather folk never mentioned. 3 airlines cancelled all flights & the one we were on had computer problems which shut them down. The airport was open & flight coming & going, the few that flew. No way to fly to the ship for a 1 week cruise that if we flew later to meet it we'd have 4 days left. So we got it all back. I know Access America wants a 24 hour airport closure to refund. Berkley, who cruiselines use, state weather is an ACT OF GOD & no coverage.

I also got on my cell to the airline to book me on another flight since they were late taking off & landing so we missed our connection. They got us on a flight leaving in 2 hours. So no line to stand in & we went to the new gate of boarding passes.

Thank you so much! I was under the very same impression and so were other cruisers. I remember one poster who put it this way "When RCI books the air, they own you" meaning that they have to get you to the ship and home. But now I understand that is not the case.

So if I understand this, the concensus is that RCI will try to help get you to the ship on time; they will not pay any costs associated at with this. what kind of help can they provide?

Also thanks for the info about CSA, it would have taken me forever (if ever) to catch that clause about the weather.

CCer's are the greatest!

Hi -

I have booked our airfare thru RC the last several cruises - and for a few reasons -

1. If you fly from the west coast, you usually have to fly in the day prior, and RC paid for our hotel in Miami and transfers to and from the ship. The AF price was within $50 of what I could get on similar flights.

2. We were on board during hurricane Francis and our 7 day cruise ended up being 9 days - RC completely rebooked our flights home for the day the port opened up, and if they hadn't been able to get us home, they were ready to put us up in a hotel for the night. Our dinner table mates had booked air separately and had a heck of a time getting a flight home as the ship phones were only working occasionally - and no cell phone service. They didn't have travel insurance either. They ended up spending the night in Miami at their own expense.

It does depend on each person's situation if it's a "good" deal or not -

Garren

I read this post and realized that this had nothing to do with the fact that this was cruise air, this could have just as easily happened if you had booked your own air.

On your way home, once you have left the ship and are at the airport or in transit, you are in the best position to deal with the airlines. If you had to deal with the cruise lines air department, with another layer of people involved it would have taken you twice as long to get home.

Since the delay was weather related the airline is not required to provide any compensation, and since you suffered no monetary lose cruise insurance is worthless. (Had it happened as you were going to the ship the insurance would have been important.)

This is just one of those things that happens when traveling. We don't often hear of rain causing such delays, but snow does it all the time.

I have been on a cruise when we left port 6 hours late. The ship was waiting for passengers on a delayed flight that had booked through the cruise line. The sad part was, the passengers made it , but there luggage didn't. :( They wore "logo" wear from the gift shop all week. The not so sad part was, :p To our surprise and giggle, it was my husbands past boss and family. Boss had fired husband 9 months previous due to fear of competition, and now would be sailing all week with us... LOL:p

Here is what RCI says on its web site ...

What if my flight is delayed?

If you miss the departure of your trip due to carrier-caused delays or other covered reasons, CruiseCare® Travel Insurance reimburses you for additional accommodations, meals and "catch-up" transportation expenses. Otherwise, you are responsible for any expense incurred to meet the ship at its next port of call. For this reason, many guests find it is easiest to arrive a day prior to sailing and stay in a hotel the night before to avoid any possible delays.

Thanks for telling us about the bit of trouble you had. Sorry it was a bad end to what I'm sure was a great time.

We are looking at an RCCL out of Port Canaveral next year and are kind of worried about the airline travel part of it. To book through RCCL or not????

But even if you had booked the air on your own what would have been the difference in your situation?

My biggest complaint would have been the 4+ hours you spent on the tarmac. How much further in line would you have been to rebook something else if you had not spent that time on the plane?

Get the plane in the air or get me back to the terminal.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is what RCI says on its web site ...

What if my flight is delayed?

If you miss the departure of your trip due to carrier-caused delays or other covered reasons, CruiseCare® Travel Insurance reimburses you for additional accommodations, meals and "catch-up" transportation expenses. Otherwise, you are responsible for any expense incurred to meet the ship at its next port of call. For this reason, many guests find it is easiest to arrive a day prior to sailing and stay in a hotel the night before to avoid any possible delays.

If I read this right RCI is saying to come one day early. But yet they book most people to arrive the same day? And it's almost implied that if you book to arrive a day early, you could skip the insurance? That's a most confusing FAQ from the website; thanks for sharing it.

I would like to hear more discussion on what they do to help you when you book air with them. It seems if you can beat their price, you have nothing to lose by booking on your own, and then you can still decide about insurance seperately either way.

They don't help you. It is for "convenience" only. However how convient that is is open for debate.

Personally, I book my own air, that way I know exactly what I'm getting. I'm not guessing at which airline or what time I'm flying or how many stops I have to make.

We go in the day before and stay at a hotel.

We also always buy travel insurance.

I don't think the cruiselines (any of them) can be depended on for anything when it comes to getting there and returning home. I won't even use their transfers.

Thanks for sharing your story -- valuable information for all of us to have. And I'm glad you made it home safely.

And you bring up another good point about the others getting nasty with the airline personnel -- this NEVER gets you anywhere, plus it's just unfair. That person behind the counter didn't have anything to do with the situation, so getting angry with them will get you no where. Plus, they are usually the ones who can make life a little bit better if at all possible. I've found using a little bit of manners and politeness, after a long line of screamers, gets me a lot that I probably wasn't entitled to.

This is so true! Just over a week ago trying to fly home from San Juan on US Air after an AOS cruise our flight was delayed 4 hours which would have caused us to miss our connection in Philly. The person in front of me in line screamed, cussed, jumped up and down (litterally) and was told he would have to rebook for the next day when he got to Philly, although he was told he could get a hotel voucher. My turn, I was polite, thanked them for the offer of hotel and then asked if there was any other opiton and the ticketing agent immediately rebooked us on an AA flight that was scheduled to get in at virtually the same time!:cool:

Another tip - When your flight is cancelled, have somebody in your party stand in the line, and somebody else call the Airline's reservation desk. In most cases, the reservation desk can rebook you in a matter of minutes. (but have somebody in line just in case.). If you are alone, call from the line.

• 4 weeks later...

is this only for the US as it cannot be true for the UK - even with travel insurance we are not covered for internal flights (i.e from JFK to San Juan) and RCI told us that would be their responsibility if the internal flight was delayed/cancelled. No insurance company in the UK will cover you for this - only for the main flight in and out of the UK :eek:

to London Gatwick, saving $500 each over internet bookings, and I also have called Delta to use up our Skymiles flying CLE-LGW I phoned 331 days in advance, 7/21, going on 6/17 arriving 6/18. Was given a booking #. Told to call 8/3 for the 6:30 return. SO I did & no flights. Delta's last flight is 11AM, I know CO has a 12:30 & NWA a 1:50 but they are showing no flights taking DL SM. Then the guy tells me I am WAIT LISTED for my flight out. Delta has not released seats for Skymiles since paying customers are filling the flights. So they will phone me if any seats re unsold to goto DL SM. This is the third time we tried to fly using DL SM with no luck.

So we closed our DL SM AMEX & now we have Blue Sky AMEX. I also go floral display the next afternoon with a note that they are sorry they couldn't get us on any flight to OGG, LAX or LGW. Then a call telling me they can roll my excellent account to Blue Sky where points are money off any travel. 7500 points are $100 off. So get the points for charges, book travel (air, cruise, train, bus, hotel) then call AMEX & they us the points to get the charges paid. No annual fee either. So I took it, cards showed overnight & another floral display that was very Hawaiian & even my DH was amazed at the service.

Archived