No shorts in the Windjammer at dinner

I would rather cruise with slobs then snobs.

Lighten up, Bart; we're not being snobs, just expressing our opinions (just like you).

Actually, when I'm on a cruise I don't give a beer-guzzler's patootie how people are dressed. I would prefer they follow the suggested dress for the day, as published in the Cruise Compass. But, it's really their choice.

Guest cvbart
Lighten up, Bart; we're not being snobs, just expressing our opinions (just like you).

Actually, when I'm on a cruise I don't give a beer-guzzler's patootie how people are dressed. I would prefer they follow the suggested dress for the day, as published in the Cruise Compass. But, it's really their choice.

I stand by what I said.

The snob factor on some of the threads is pretty high.

The whole dress code thing is more of a Cruise Critic isssue then anything.

Most folks on a cruise (including a lot of Cruise Critic people) are too busy having a great time to worry much about who is following the dress code.

Like I said, Bart:

"Actually, when I'm on a cruise I don't give a beer-guzzler's patootie how people are dressed. I would prefer they follow the suggested dress for the day, as published in the Cruise Compass. But, it's really their choice."

JMO.......

Guest cvbart
I agree with you. I'd rather cruise with slobs than snobs as well -- and if Monarch is so bad, why do they keep sailing on that ship/itinerary? Must be masochists....

The Monarch is a 3 or 4 night party/booze cruise. That's what it is.

They want upscale fancy cruising on a booze cruise to Ensenada.

...Just took a look at WHERE the Jewel is sailing these days -- if you "just got back," as you say, it appears you were in the Baltic region or thereabouts. Assuming that's the case, and that you were on a longer than one week cruise, you were in cooler climes than most of the posters on this board are even thinking about when they consider the dining clothing "rules."

We got back Saturday from a British Isles/Fjords cruise. The weather was in fact quite warm, warmer than the 10 sea days we spent in April on our Hawaii cruise. However, if you have 36 cruises under your belt I'm sure that you will realize that regardless of where you are, the environment on the ship is always very comfortable and shorts are very commonplace during the day. In Amsterdam the temperature was over 80 degrees. If you have ever viisited those areas in the summer, I'm sure that you will agree that thhey can be quite warm, if you haven't visited them, I suggest you hold your opinions until you have.

Posters considering dining clothing "rules", as you put it, has nothing to do with my initial post. I was just quoting what I read in Cruise Compass and passed on what I considered to be a change in RCI policy.

I agree with you. I'd rather cruise with slobs than snobs as well -- and if Monarch is so bad, why do they keep sailing on that ship/itinerary? Must be masochists....
Never met a slob or a snob on Monarch. As far as it being a booze cruise, I don't think they've lost anyone over the side like some of her more "elegant" sister ships.

Just got back from a Jewel cruise. Found an interesting note in the Cruise Compass everyday. It said "Please note that bare feet, tank tops and shorts are not permitted in the Windjammer Cafe at dinner". So now where do you eat if you want to wear shorts, room service?

Go to the Dining Room. That's where everone else goes!

They want upscale fancy cruising on a booze cruise to Ensenada.

Wrong again, my friend. I'm just pointing out the facts, not bemoaning them in any way. Many, many passengers on Monarch dress like slobs, including, on occasion (drum roll, please) DH and me. Although my clothes aren't too tight until the last day.:rolleyes:

YOU are the one who said Monarch was the ship of slobs. Not me, not anyone else. Then you claimed to have had a grand time with underdressed (in your view) people at your dining table. Interesting...

I haven't sailed Monarch since she did the 7-night run in the Caribbean, so don't what the clientele is like on the mini-cruise to Ensenada now. What I agree with is that I would rather cruise with 'slobs than snobs,' assuming those were the only two choices; a sentiment so well put by a couple of OTHER posters.

As to your description of "slobs" -- I have NEVER seen people aboard any cruise ship as poorly dressed as you describe. Maybe I'm just not LOOKING hard enough?

Au contraire (or is that too snobby to say?:rolleyes: ). Monarch is a wonderful ship, with a fabulous crew and a good mix of passengers, however scruffily attired they may be.

I don't know what else you would call somebody decked out in a shirt that doesn't cover his or her beer gut, pants that are in grave danger of either slipping to the floor or permanently cutting off circulations to vital parts of the anatomy because they're 3 sizes too small and shoes where the soles are separated from the rest of the shoe. A Glamour Don't, perhaps?

I would take well-dressed snobs over slobs any day. We do not go on cruises to meet people, particularly slobs. And some of the snobs I have met have been very nice snobs. I tend to be a little snobby myself when I'm on a cruise and dressed up.

Re Monarch: Just for the record, I am not the one who said the Ensenada run is a booze cruise.

As to your British Isles/Fjords cruise including Amsterdam, and the high temps, WOW, that global warming must really be bearing down because in all the times I've been in those areas (not on cruise ships, mind you, mine were all land tours), temps have rarely reached even 70. Moscow was 80 one day in the month of June but Amsterdam in late spring/summer? Cold and rainy, and the same for Britain and all of Scandinavia. Had to get down to ITALY to get a little warmth.

In fact, early summer of '05, a co-worker of mine and her family took a Baltic cruise on a Celebrity ship --- and came back and said it was cold and rainy the whole time then, too. But...weather does change, doesn't it? It's good to know that warm temps CAN prevail in that region during cruise (or any) season.

As you say, temps are relatively stable aboard ships in general, but I have always found them to be on the cool side, so coupled with my personal experience of time spent in Northern Europe/Britain, it would be very peculiar, indeed, to be sporting shorts.

I do think, though, that it should be fine to wear nice shorts in Windjammer regardless of cruise length or itinerary, assuming someone thinks it's warm enough for them. I join the majority who believe Windjammer should be the refuge for those who don't want to "dress up" for the dining room. They should not be relegated to their cabins.

We got back Saturday from a British Isles/Fjords cruise. The weather was in fact quite warm, warmer than the 10 sea days we spent in April on our Hawaii cruise. However, if you have 36 cruises under your belt I'm sure that you will realize that regardless of where you are, the environment on the ship is always very comfortable and shorts are very commonplace during the day. In Amsterdam the temperature was over 80 degrees. If you have ever viisited those areas in the summer, I'm sure that you will agree that thhey can be quite warm, if you haven't visited them, I suggest you hold your opinions until you have.

Posters considering dining clothing "rules", as you put it, has nothing to do with my initial post. I was just quoting what I read in Cruise Compass and passed on what I considered to be a change in RCI policy.

Never met a slob or a snob on Monarch. As far as it being a booze cruise, I don't think they've lost anyone over the side like some of her more "elegant" sister ships.

YOU are the one who said Monarch was the ship of slobs. Not me, not anyone else. Then you claimed to have had a grand time with underdressed (in your view) people at your dining table. Interesting...

I'm afraid I don't get your point. Sloppy dress is sloppy dress, and many, many people were dressed sloppily on our cruise, and you didn't have to be looking for to see it. It's just an observation, not a judgment on the worthiness of the person wearing the clothes, as you seem to take it.

And a Hawaiian shirt in the dining room on formal night is underdressed. Is it important? Not to me.

Guest cvbart

I haven't sailed Monarch since she did the 7-night run in the Caribbean, so don't what the clientele is like on the mini-cruise to Ensenada now. What I agree with is that I would rather cruise with 'slobs than snobs,' assuming those were the only two choices; a sentiment so well put by a couple of OTHER posters.

As to your description of "slobs" -- I have NEVER seen people aboard any cruise ship as poorly dressed as you describe. Maybe I'm just not LOOKING hard enough?

I think there must be some folks who go on a cruise just to look at(and judge) how others are dressed.

I probably would not even notice how others are dressed as I am too busy having a good time.

I think if you don't like the crowd on RCCL then you should try another cruise line. Why cruise on a line that does not meet your needs as far as dress and rule enforcement.

Most of us see no problems the way things are now. RCCL meets my needs very well thank you.

European itineraries can be more formal than those out of the US. That might explain the difference.

As to the remark about abuse on the fashion boards, most people there are very nice and the remarks made quite reasonable.

I agree with virtually all of your posts, and also think those who are so dissatisfied with the appearance of others on board RCI ships might try other lines. RCI meets our family's needs very well, too. Cheers!:)

I think there must be some folks who go on a cruise just to look at(and judge) how others are dressed.

I probably would not even notice how others are dressed as I am too busy having a good time.

I think if you don't like the crowd on RCCL then you should try another cruise line. Why cruise on a line that does not meet your needs as far as dress and rule enforcement.

Most of us see no problems the way things are now. RCCL meets my needs very well thank you.

I don't think it is a misprint.

If you go to the RCCL web site you find this:

There are three distinct types of evenings on board: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

3 to 4 - night cruises include one formal night and the remainder nights are casual.

5 - night cruises include one formal and the remainder nights casual.

6 - night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder nights casual. 7 to 9 - night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights casual.

10 to 13-night cruises include two formal nights, two smart casual nights, and the remainder nights casual.

14+ - night cruises include three formal nights, four smart casual nights and the remainder nights casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Please note ice skating on our Voyager Family ships & Freedom of the Seas requires that all skaters wear long pants and socks for their own comfort and safety. Capris and long shorts are permitted.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do#9

Notice that the dress code above does not mention the dining room, it talks about the whole ship.

I know that no one follows them throughout the entire ship, but if you read this literally then, the dress code applies through out the ship, including the windjammer.

I am sure that this is where the language came from, but let's face it there has to be an alternative dinning available.

There are three distinct types of evenings on board: casual, smart casual and formal. Suggested guidelines for these nights are: Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

3 to 4 - night cruises include one formal night and the remainder nights are casual.

6 - night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual and the remainder nights casual. 7 to 9 - night cruises include two formal nights, one smart casual night and the remainder nights casual.

10 to 13-night cruises include two formal nights, two smart casual nights, and the remainder nights casual.

14+ - night cruises include three formal nights, four smart casual nights and the remainder nights casual.

We appreciate your usual parental guidance and cooperation in observing these easy guidelines with your children.

Please note ice skating on our Voyager Family ships & Freedom of the Seas requires that all skaters wear long pants and socks for their own comfort and safety. Capris and long shorts are permitted.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/lifeOnboardFaq.do#9

Notice that the dress code above does not mention the dining room, it talks about the whole ship.

I know that no one follows them throughout the entire ship, but if you read this literally then, the dress code applies through out the ship, including the windjammer.

I am sure that this is where the language came from, but let's face it there has to be an alternative dinning available.

But there is one big difference between what you've copy/pasted and what Jbond has posted. The RCI web site says "suggested" while what Jbond has told us says "not PERMITTED." There is a huge difference in that wording as one is mearly a suggesttion which may or may not be follow by guests where as not permitted indicates you can't where shorts into the WJ under any condition.

RCI, in the past, has always had a "suggested" dress code that has never been inforced consitantly. Not permitted could indicate more rigid guidelines that will be enforced.

Not that it makes a lot of difference to me but, to many on a summer time caribbean cruise with the family, it could make a lot of difference. Since it has only been the Jewel while in the Baltic that this has been noticed, perhaps it's simply a regional thing. I know I'll be paying attention on my next two cruises, which are Alaska and W. Caribbean to see how things are worded, either suggested or not permitted.

But then there is a problem with that also. On the June 18th 7 night Freedom sailing there were no smart casual nights.... 2 formal and 5 casual. However, smart casual was suggested for Chops & Portofinos.

/snip/

That's news to me. It USED TO be that ONLY long pants would do. hhhhhmmmmmm.....

Thanks for sharing your humor -- I think this whole dress code business is really overblown. Most people on cruises these days are not reading these boards at all, so are missing out on the fun here.

How about this: "No PANTS permitted in the Windjammer at dinner." Just imagine the possibilities...................

I guess that means I can't wear just my "tighty-whiteys"? - with T-shirt & sandals.

Yep, Only one thing left. I'll just go naked. With all the changing dress codes, no one will even notice.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHH My Eyes!!!!!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!:eek: :eek:

At least I won't gain any weight this cruise.....:rolleyes:

Archived