What are your feelings about shore excursions vs diy

Rosefairy

I am leaving with my two children ds 11 and dd 9 in 10 days on the Western Caribbean Itinerary of the CB. This is my third cruise, however my first with Princess and more importantly my first cruise as a single parent. My previous two Disney cruises were Eastern Caribbean and very beach laden destinations so we always rented our own vehicles and went to an out of the way beach as a family of four.

Western Carribean seems less beachy and more activity oriented and I also realize that the safety factor has changed being that I am a lone woman with two children. So I have reserved shore excursions for Ocho Rios (River Tubing) and Grand Cayman (Turtle Farm, going to Hell and snorkeling with the Sting Rays) and have the intention of going to the beach via taxi in Cozumel.

I am not as antisocial as my DXH (hence we always went to areas where we did not have too many other people) but am not accustomed to lots of crowds - will I hate the shore excursions that are offered by the cruise line and should I look into privately operated tours? I was thinking that there would be more of an opportunity for my kids and myself to socialize in a group setting and that would add to the fun, but I could also see that I could be caught up in a non-congenial group.

So what are your opinions?

Thanks so much in advance.

Linda

Be careful in Ocho Rios. We met some VERY pushy people there. If I were alone, I would take an excursion there. I'd do something on my own in the other countries that you mentioned. We seem to always end up talking with other Princess cruisers that we meet on the beach. You can spot them from their Princess towels. Chankanoob park is a nice beach in Cozumel and very easy to get to and back again. Taxis are alway available.

I agree that in Jamaica, you are probably best with a ship's tour. Grand Cayman and Cozumel are very easy to visit on your own and I think you don't have to be as concerned about your personal safety in those places to the same degree as in Jamaica.

Two good sources are the ports of call boards for your planned stops, and you should look up a roll call thread for your cruise on the roll call page. We often plan our own tours with others through the roll calls. You might even find people who have children of similar age as your own.

Just my two cents.

You have 10 days to go. I'd stick with your current plan and not stress over trying to book your own tours.

If you had more time and weren't dealing with your first single mom cruise, I'd suggest that you look into private tours.

JMHO,

Charlie

Just my two cents.

You have 10 days to go. I'd stick with your current plan and not stress over trying to book your own tours.

If you had more time and weren't dealing with your first single mom cruise, I'd suggest that you look into private tours.

JMHO,

Charlie

I'm a firm believer in DIYS shore activities and tours but I gotta agree with Charlie, decide your stress level and make you decision based on that. Just guessing, but ten days to go.... life is too short to intentionally introduce extra stress

I'm a firm believer in DIYS shore activities and tours but I gotta agree with Charlie, decide your stress level and make you decision based on that. Just guessing, but ten days to go.... life is too short to intentionally introduce extra stress
Yep. We're really the DIY sort also. 14 cruises and we've done maybe 4 ship sponsored tours. You're more likely to find us with a cab or local doing exactly what we want to do.

Charlie

I like the suggestions to go with what fits your comfort level. :cool:

In addition, I usually take into consideration safety issues. For example, I know that if I'm going on any kind of motor/water transport on a Princess-sponsored excursion that the vehicles are inspected and certified (the staff too).

And, consider as well the odds of you making it back to the ship in time. We were on a bus tour in Jamaica when a truckers union blocked the road - preventing us from getting back to our ship. Being we were on an official Princess excursion, the ship was held for us in port.

Ports we've been to a few times or the more safe and stable areas are much more likely to have our tours be DIY.

Bill

Seeing this is your first cruise traveling alone with Children, I for one would book something with many others around for my comfort level. Although the ships tours are not always as top notch, I would just be more comfotable until I was used to traveling as a single woman with children. After seeing how this went, then I might venture out on my own.

Just remember, if you are stressed on tour, not only will you not have fun, but your children will also feel it and I am sure you don't want that to happen.

Go with what fits your comfort level the best on this new adventure.

As only a suggestion, you might want to just book a Sting Ray Sandbar excursion. For clarification the turtle "farm" is mostly for consumption, it is not a "nature" center. You will see very spartan tanks and turtle products on the menu. I always go with Cpt Marvin who runs an excellent tour. If the price is similar, consider their tour with the Coral Gardens stop, if your kids are swimmers.

In Cozumel, Dzul Ha is a very nice beach, good snorkling, but not gradual sand, there is a sea wall with stairs into the water. Chankaanab is a great place that is clean, no harassing venders etc. A very enjoyable day there.

We, (myself, sister and nephew (14) will be on the same cruise and are planning to do the Snorkel with Stingray tour through a private excursion and also Dunn's River Falls and tubing in Ocho Rios with Phil Lafayette whom I'm told is excellent and stays with you the entire tour. He's been highly recommended by this board. Look for the placards for the various tours when disembarking.

I am leaving with my two children ds 11 and dd 9 in 10 days on the Western Caribbean Itinerary of the CB. This is my third cruise, however my first with Princess and more importantly my first cruise as a single parent. My previous two Disney cruises were Eastern Caribbean and very beach laden destinations so we always rented our own vehicles and went to an out of the way beach as a family of four.

Western Carribean seems less beachy and more activity oriented and I also realize that the safety factor has changed being that I am a lone woman with two children. So I have reserved shore excursions for Ocho Rios (River Tubing) and Grand Cayman (Turtle Farm, going to Hell and snorkeling with the Sting Rays) and have the intention of going to the beach via taxi in Cozumel.

I am not as antisocial as my DXH (hence we always went to areas where we did not have too many other people) but am not accustomed to lots of crowds - will I hate the shore excursions that are offered by the cruise line and should I look into privately operated tours? I was thinking that there would be more of an opportunity for my kids and myself to socialize in a group setting and that would add to the fun, but I could also see that I could be caught up in a non-congenial group.

So what are your opinions?

Thanks so much in advance.

Linda

After my first or second cruise, I found this wonderful Cruise Critic board and it has helped me in my remaining 10 or so since then. My family and I choose to book our own tours with the help of this board. I ALWAYS only use who the people here recommend. You can even get the prices, websites and phone numbers from the Ports of Call boards.

But I do agree with the other posters, if this is your first cruise with children, and with the short amount of time left, I would stick with the ship tours. They cost more and are more crowded with less individual attention. For example, we have done the stingrays in Grand Caymon 3 times on our own thru Captain Marvin, Native way. While we are there at the sandbar with the rays, we only have maybe 15 people on board while the ship tours have as many as 200, even 300 people on board. We get to do things with the rays that they dont, and then get to go snorkeling on a reef too afterwards for about $35.

In Cozumel, a taxi to Paradise Beach is a good choice with children. You dont have to reserve ahead of time and there is lots to do for the kids. It is free entrance, but if the kids want the water toys, it is $8 to get a wrist band for them and then they can play all day.

Check out the boards here and dont sweat it so much, just go and enjoy your first cruise and tours and I guarantee you will be cruising again, and then you will be more experienced and sure of youself and use the wonderful information on these boards.

Enjoy!!!!!

Stefani

Archived