How do I get to Majahaul?

sarky24

I know that I read on this board where to go to find a taxi to the village of Majahaul? Now, I can't seem to find the answer. Could someone let me know? Also, is walking there an option?

The "taxi" that we took into Mahajual was a white van. At first I thought those white vans were for tours, but they are used as taxis into town. We paid $3 a person at a small desk and then took our tickets over to the white vans. Our van held 6 people. Anyway, look for the white vans not traditional taxis.

I have read about renting golf carts to go to Mahajual. Do any of ya'll know anything about that?

We just got back from there and saw the golf carts but didn't inquire. Someone had told me on these boards that they are $30 per hour so I didn't see the need since it would've had to come back before we wanted to. We just bought our tickets at the booth outside and got into a van (had to wait a bit and there was confusion since a big tour bus was also loading up people to go there). On the way home it is a taxi - no waiting.

When you arrive in Cost Maya, there is a circular arrangement of stores and a pool area. Walk straight through that area and out back there are taxis and busses that will take you to Mahahual for $3. There is a taxi stand where you pay before boarding. It is a short ride to the town and the safest place to eat, I believe is Cats Meow. It is owned by a Canadian woman who used to teach at the Canadian culinary institute and owned restaurants in Canada. We were there to take the ruins tour with Ivan and David and she talked to us about her restaurant and how she runs it to ensure safety.

We took the bus there at $3 per person and took a taxi back at 2$ per person. Look for the taxi/bus/excursion stands in the inner part of the shopping area. We went to the bus and we're turned back to the stands to make the arragements.:mad:

Ya I had a little confusion at first.

When you get to the pier just follow it all the way to the swim up bar pool and take a right then take another right. It looks like a tour desk but really it's taxis.

Its a van you pay 3$ I think and get a ticket and the van driver takes you to the end of the road in Mahuahual.

We went to the Cats Meow; we had a group of 12 or 13 and rented all the chairs so we had the Cats Meows beach to ourselves the entire day. It was by far the funnest port day weve ever had on a cruise. We drank a bunch, got massages, ate a bunch, went jet skiing; a total blast.

When you want to leave gran a yellow taxi back.

• 2 weeks later...

Sarky,

When you disembark your ship there will be a trolley parked near your gangway waiting to take passenger ashore. The trolley is free and requires no pre-arranging. Just hop onboard. I HIGHLY recommend taking this trolley rather than walking. Not only is the Costa Maya pier one of the longest I've ever seen, but it's usually very windy there. So windy that I saw a couple young girls who decided to walk ashore rather than take the trolley, and as we went past them they looked as though they were about to be blown overboard. Play it safe and take the trolley.

Once you're ashore there is a large terminal building with shops, restaurants, bars, etc. Enter the building and proceed directly towards the back. When you're getting close to the very back of the building, you'll see a sign that says "Taxis------>". Follow the direction of that sign, and You'll find yourself outdoors at the back of the building. Here there is a taxi stand against the building with a chalkboard listing their prices to different destinations. Purchase a ONE-WAY ticket to Majahul($3). I was then instructed to "stand in line with a group over there" which I did. A few minutes later, a large (charter-type) bus pulled up and everyone from my group started to board it. I mentioned to the man who was standing next to me that I had bought a TAXI ticket and was hesitant to board the bus. He assured me that this was the transportation to majahul and seem to know what he was talking about so I boarded.

The ride was only about 10 minutes. The bus driver announced our first stop for anyone who wanted to disembark at Tequilla Beach Club. Knowing my plan to explore majahul & the beach, my new guy friend told me to stay on until we reach the town center. so I did. Just a few minutes later the driver announced we were in Majahul at the town center. I recognized several places that I had seen posted on this board and on http://www.webshots.com so was comfortable knowing that this is where I need to be getting off.

The entire length of the town is only about 6-8 blocks long, has only one main street (actually a dirt road) is all beach on one side of the road and stores, bars, and restaurants on the other.

The entire beach is lined with palapa-style bar/reataurants which will provide you with a lounge chair (they call them sunbeds) as long as you purchase your food & drinks from their establishment. I took the recommendation of several posters on this board and decided to have my lunch & drinks at TAPAS. My waiter showed me to a nice umbrella table right on the beach and then took my order. Their food & drinks were delicious and very reasonably priced. After lunch my waiter showed me to a lounge chair that would be mine for the remainder of the day. There were beach massages available in that area on the beach as well as a strolling mariachi band. The water was very calm and shallow out several yards. It kind of reminded me of that beach on the Corona tv commercial.

Tip: If you go to webshots.com & do a search for Majahul you'll find several pictures that your fellow cruisers have posted to give you a better idea of the village.

When you're ready to go back to your ship: you'll find a taxi stand on the main street (beachside) where you can purchase your return ride to the terminal building (this time only $2 and in a yellow cab)

I found the people & business owners of Majahul to be extremely polite & helpful.

I hope my information will be helpful for you.

Annie

• 11 years later...
Sarky,

When you disembark your ship there will be a trolley parked near your gangway waiting to take passenger ashore. The trolley is free and requires no pre-arranging. Just hop onboard. I HIGHLY recommend taking this trolley rather than walking. Not only is the Costa Maya pier one of the longest I've ever seen, but it's usually very windy there. So windy that I saw a couple young girls who decided to walk ashore rather than take the trolley, and as we went past them they looked as though they were about to be blown overboard. Play it safe and take the trolley.

Once you're ashore there is a large terminal building with shops, restaurants, bars, etc. Enter the building and proceed directly towards the back. When you're getting close to the very back of the building, you'll see a sign that says "Taxis------>". Follow the direction of that sign, and You'll find yourself outdoors at the back of the building. Here there is a taxi stand against the building with a chalkboard listing their prices to different destinations. Purchase a ONE-WAY ticket to Majahul($3). I was then instructed to "stand in line with a group over there" which I did. A few minutes later, a large (charter-type) bus pulled up and everyone from my group started to board it. I mentioned to the man who was standing next to me that I had bought a TAXI ticket and was hesitant to board the bus. He assured me that this was the transportation to majahul and seem to know what he was talking about so I boarded.

The ride was only about 10 minutes. The bus driver announced our first stop for anyone who wanted to disembark at Tequilla Beach Club. Knowing my plan to explore majahul & the beach, my new guy friend told me to stay on until we reach the town center. so I did. Just a few minutes later the driver announced we were in Majahul at the town center. I recognized several places that I had seen posted on this board and on www.webshots.com so was comfortable knowing that this is where I need to be getting off.

The entire length of the town is only about 6-8 blocks long, has only one main street (actually a dirt road) is all beach on one side of the road and stores, bars, and restaurants on the other.

The entire beach is lined with palapa-style bar/reataurants which will provide you with a lounge chair (they call them sunbeds) as long as you purchase your food & drinks from their establishment. I took the recommendation of several posters on this board and decided to have my lunch & drinks at TAPAS. My waiter showed me to a nice umbrella table right on the beach and then took my order. Their food & drinks were delicious and very reasonably priced. After lunch my waiter showed me to a lounge chair that would be mine for the remainder of the day. There were beach massages available in that area on the beach as well as a strolling mariachi band. The water was very calm and shallow out several yards. It kind of reminded me of that beach on the Corona tv commercial.

Tip: If you go to webshots.com & do a search for Majahul you'll find several pictures that your fellow cruisers have posted to give you a better idea of the village.

When you're ready to go back to your ship: you'll find a taxi stand on the main street (beachside) where you can purchase your return ride to the terminal building (this time only $2 and in a yellow cab)

I found the people & business owners of Majahul to be extremely polite & helpful.

I hope my information will be helpful for you.

Annie

Is this information still accurate? I know it's from several years ago but it was so detailed that I was going to print it out to take with me when we leave next week on our cruise.

Yes, all of this info is current, although I have never heard of Tapas (this thread is over 10 years old, it may be closed now) However, I would add that I usually go outside the port gates (through the back parking lot, and about a block down on the right side of the road) and take a taxi to the Malecon for $2 per person... Once there, you can pretty much pick whichever beach club suits your fancy. (Tropicante, Krazy Lobster, and many other options) They will all pretty much let you hang out on their sunbeds / tables as long as you order some food and/or drinks...

Is this information still accurate? I know it's from several years ago but it was so detailed that I was going to print it out to take with me when we leave next week on our cruise.

• 5 months later...

We had 4 to a cab. It was $2 per person each way and we tipped an extra $5 each way. Maybe a little high but whatever, I’m sure it’s appreciated. Taxi stand (not the trolley) was out past the port gate, but when you come back the drop off is inside the gate. The pier is a long walk but they still have a trolley (free) from the ships to the end of the pier. We went to Tropicante. The cab stop is about a block from the restaurant but there was someone there who walked us over.

A friend of mine ported at Costa Mays this past week on his first ever cruise. I advised him on going outside of the port gates to catch a cab to the beach for $2 each. While still inside the port, a lady offered to take them to the beach for $60 each! He said he finally got her to agree to $30 each! I obviously scolded him, and asked why he had not taken my advise. He said he was intimidated, being his first time in Mexico and all...

Wow!

We took the tram to Tropicante and it was $3 per person. The cab ride was $2 pp on the way back.

It was a great time and we can't wait to go back. Everyone was so nice!

Same ... per above. It's inexpensive and a WONDERFUL place to spend the day! (y)

It is more or less accurate but the port is much more developed than originally but since you haven’t been before you won’t notice the difference. You still have to walk to the back of the port but just keep following the signs it is quite a circular route and they take you passed all the shops!

I don’t think the old school buses, or vans, are used now for the $3 ticket - they seem to use a trolley. We completely exited the port and picked up our own taxi for $2pp but you have to completely exit and walk up a road a little way.

Here is a more recent link

https://ahhhmahahual.com/2016/01/11/how-to-transport-from-the-costa-maya-port-into-the-town-of-mahahual/

A friend of mine ported at Costa Mays this past week on his first ever cruise. I advised him on going outside of the port gates to catch a cab to the beach for $2 each. While still inside the port, a lady offered to take them to the beach for $60 each! He said he finally got her to agree to $30 each! I obviously scolded him, and asked why he had not taken my advise. He said he was intimidated, being his first time in Mexico and all...

Are you sure they weren’t asking for 60 Mex$ (pesos) which would be a little over $3, which is the rate inside the port?

I am not surprised they agreed to $30!

• 1 month later...

2$ pp taxis outside the port

2$ pp taxis back to the port

Most people take the 3$ big truck from the port to the beach but you wait longer for it and it’s not just for you ohhh it costs $1 extra 🤪

Sent from my iPhone using Forums